So Blizzard, Valve, how does it feel...

SilverVirage

Apr 27, 2011
...knowing that Duke Nukem: Forever will be released before Diablo 3 and Episode 3, respectively?

Anyone else think that's a little odd? That Blizzard has all this effort going into D3 for... I cant even remember, a long time though, and Gearbox is about to release Forever, after around 2 years working on it? (Now, I know Forever is probably going to be bad but that's not the point.) Valve gets off the hook a little easier cause I haven't heard them actually announce HL:3 yet.

Ubermetalhed

Sep 15, 2009
It's not like gearbox have started from scratch. Most of the game was there when they took over.

So really Duke still surpasses Diablo 3 and Halflife 3 in total development time.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I'm sure both those developers will be able to wipe away the tears with great fad wads of money, obtained from WoW subscriptions and hats respectively.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
Blizzard probably couldn't give a shit. Can't say the same for Valve, because I don't know them as well.

Blizzard are perfectionists who scoff at the idea of deadlines.

Dana22

Sep 10, 2008
Episode 3 is a bad example, because it hasn't been announced yet in any form. People just expect it to come out.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Valve and Blizzard can't hear you over the piles of money they make, that's why they can take this long with their titles or shelve them alltogether.

And Duke isn't out yet, I wouldn't go jinxing it.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
BREAKING NEWS!

A 14-year-old game is more likely to launch before a game that's not even been properly announced and another that's been in development for 6 years.

More on this incredibly unlikely story soon!

Wait, no, that's right - there's nothing remarkable about that whatsoever.

SilverVirage

Apr 27, 2011
Ubermetalhed said:
It's not like gearbox have started from scratch. Most of the game was there when they took over.

So really Duke still surpasses Diablo 3 and Halflife 3 in total development time.
I thought they changed to a new engine? So if that was true, they would actually not start from scratch, but damn near it.

Dana22 said:
Episode 3 is a bad example, because it hasn't been announced yet in any form. People just expect it to come out.
And I know, I mentioned that earlier. I just couldn't think of another game that people have been waiting a really long time for. Though I think that it... actually hasn't been that long, people on the internet talking about it made me believe it so though.

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009

But really, I would imagine they aren't too worried about it. In fact, I bet they're excited. They are gamers after all.

luckycharms8282

Mar 28, 2009
Feels good man.

I tell you what, Im a bit worried about techland's dead island as well. They claim it's coming out in september but we have yet to see any gameplay as of yet. Theyve hardly released any screenshots as well. It's like the game doesnt really exist.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
Considering that Forever was announced a year before Half Life 1 came out, and in that time Valve got out Two expansions, a sequel and two expansions to that I don't think they are too worried.

Forever - 1997
Half Life 1 - 1998

KarmaTheAlligator

Mar 2, 2011
But at the same time, we know Blizzard and Valve have incredibly good testing, and will not release something until they're satisfied, which is why it takes so long. Not sure what applies to Duke Nukem Forever.

Dejawesp

May 5, 2008
Blizzard like Valve have incredibly high standards on the games they make. They would rather scrap an entire game completely after development has finished than risk releasing a bad one.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
zehydra said:
Blizzard probably couldn't give a shit. Can't say the same for Valve, because I don't know them as well.

Blizzard are perfectionists who scoff at the idea of deadlines.
Correction, they can afford to scoff at deadlines. If WoW died tomorrow they'd suddenly care a lot less about perfection.

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
manythings said:
Correction, they can afford to scoff at deadlines. If WoW died tomorrow they'd suddenly care a lot less about perfection.
Still puts them ahead of the games companies who can afford to scoff at deadlines but still release unpolished buggy games. Bethesda is the main one, their games are good but god they could use more development time to iron out bugs.

Edit - I'm pretty sure Blizzard don't care, FPS games aren't their thing. Valve might feel a bit annoyed about it if only because they've got their own game nobody expects to actually be released.

SilverVirage said:
Anyone else think that's a little odd? That Blizzard has all this effort going into D3 for...
Was announced about 2-3 years ago.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Sapient Pearwood said:
manythings said:
Still puts them ahead of the games companies who can afford to scoff at deadlines but still release unpolished buggy games. Bethesda is the main one, their games are good but god they could use more development time to iron out bugs.
My point still stands. Extract the guaranteed money from the Blizzard equation and you'll find more buggy games with the Blizzard stamp. Bethesda doesn't have the luxury of the WoW component.