So Bronies, your thoughts on MLP:FiM season 2.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Aidinthel said:
JaceArveduin said:
Hey, was there always a pink bubble around Canterlot? I may be crazy, but as soon as I saw that I thought of FO:E...
Special circumstances. The show will explain.
Eyup, just, more or less,commentating as I watch, should probably watch the whole thing first lol

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
I just finished watching the finale five minutes ago. I probably SHOULD wait for it to sink in a bit before I judge it, but...

Best. Season. Ending. Ever.

...okay, I don't really mean that (I still maintain that Justice League Unlimited Season 1 had the best season ending ever), but it was damn great.

Is it weird that one of the things that stands out the most to me is that this is the first time in FiM that we got a legitimate villain song? And I'm not counting the Flim Flam song, they were just singing a salesman song. THIS song was a legitimate "I'm evil and I love it so much", Disney-esc villain song.

But, yeah, great villain, great songs, great shocking reveal, great battle scene, and just a great episode all-around.

Anyways, my opinion on season 2 as a whole. Frankly? I feel it's an improvement over season 1 in every way that matters.

Both the beginning and ending episodes are better than their season 1 counterparts (although Best Night Ever does give the wedding a run for it's money), animation quality has improved across the board, almost every song in Season 2 is better than Season 1 (although, again, Winter Wrap Up is no slouch), and episodes devoted to character development feel more natural (to me), in season 2.

Season 1 was a (rather successful) experiment. But Season 2 feels like the creators have finally gotten comfortable with the material, and just had tons of fun with it.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot to list my favorite and least favorite. Least Favorite? Cutie Pox. Not a fan of Cutie Mark Crusaders episodes in general (although this season DID give me my favorite of the bunch, namely Hearts and Hooves Day), and Cutie Pox just doesn't do much for me. Still not bad, though.

Favorite? Last Roundup. God, I love that one. And not just because it's the Derpy episode (although that doesn't hurt). I love it because of the COPIOUS amounts of hilarious Pinkie moments in it. Plus, a stagecoach chase scene. With ponies. The absurdity of that sequence ALONE would probably have made it a classic in my eyes, but the rest of the episode was a gem, too.

gigastrike

Jul 13, 2008
Robert632 said:
Least Favourite:The one where AJ runs away for not winning all 1st place. Can't even remember its name.
...Walk away, right now.

As a whole, I think season 2 was slightly better than the first, though it certainly had its share of bad episodes. It's certainly nice to see that they're finally starting to loosen up and take more risks. Early season 1 episode were bland for that exact reason.

The season finale was great, way better than The Best Night Ever. There are still some things that I would have preferred they'd handled differently, but it was certainly satisfying.

Favorite Episode: I honestly can't decide. It's a toss-up between The Return of Harmony Part 2, Hearth's Warming Eve, the Last Roundup, and It's About Time.

Least Favorite Episode: Probably MMMystery on the Friendship Express, but Family Appreciation day was petty close.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
TizzytheTormentor said:
Hazy992 said:
Ooh another MLP thread!

This should be fun!
Are you gonna share those, nothing like a MLP thread for a good laugh! Bronies VS Haters is imminent, whether the OP likes it or not.
Sure, there's plenty to go around! And yeah that's pretty much inevitable :p

him over there

Dec 17, 2011
Hazy992 said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
Hazy992 said:
Ooh another MLP thread!

This should be fun!
Are you gonna share those, nothing like a MLP thread for a good laugh! Bronies VS Haters is imminent, whether the OP likes it or not.
Don't be so cynical! I don't like the show very much and hate the over saturation of memes on the internet of it yet I could act civil.

Hazy992

Aug 1, 2010
him over there said:
Hazy992 said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
Hazy992 said:
Ooh another MLP thread!

This should be fun!
Don't be so cynical! I don't like the show very much and hate the over saturation of memes on the internet of it yet I could act civil.
It's pretty much guaranteed on this forum. MLP, PC vs console and anything to do with feminism (to name a few) almost always cause rage around here.

him over there

Dec 17, 2011
Hazy992 said:
him over there said:
Hazy992 said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
Hazy992 said:
Ooh another MLP thread!

This should be fun!
It's pretty much guaranteed on this forum. MLP, PC vs console and anything to do with feminism (to name a few) almost always cause rage around here.
I think I might have fixed that for you. Besides we can hope can't we?

Hazy992

Aug 1, 2010
him over there said:
Hazy992 said:
him over there said:
Hazy992 said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
Hazy992 said:
Ooh another MLP thread!

This should be fun!
I was talking about here in particular so that 'fix' wasn't really necessary. Feminism is particularly controversial around here.

him over there

Dec 17, 2011
Hazy992 said:
him over there said:
Hazy992 said:
him over there said:
Hazy992 said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
Hazy992 said:
Ooh another MLP thread!

This should be fun!
I was talking about here in particular so that 'fix' wasn't really necessary. Feminism is particularly controversial around here.
oh I know, just felt it sort of implied it didn't elsewhere. I know what you mean about the feminist stuff though. All the controversial topics seem to happen in clusters and change every two weeks or so. It's like the freaking flavour of the month.

Hazy992

Aug 1, 2010
him over there said:
Hazy992 said:
him over there said:
Hazy992 said:
him over there said:
Hazy992 said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
Hazy992 said:
Ooh another MLP thread!

This should be fun!
oh I know, just felt it sort of implied it didn't elsewhere. I know what you mean about the feminist stuff though. All the controversial topics seem to happen in clusters and change every two weeks or so. It's like the freaking flavour of the month.
Yeah I know what you mean with that. It was the friend zone last week wasn't it?

him over there

Dec 17, 2011
Hazy992 said:
him over there said:
Hazy992 said:
him over there said:
Hazy992 said:
him over there said:
Hazy992 said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
Hazy992 said:
Ooh another MLP thread!

This should be fun!
Yeah I know what you mean with that. It was the friend zone last week wasn't it?
I think so, before that it was I believe racism and before that it was sex offenders. I swear people just get a bunch of top stories from a newspaper and throw darts at them to choose.

Hazy992

Aug 1, 2010
him over there said:
Hazy992 said:
him over there said:
Hazy992 said:
him over there said:
Hazy992 said:
him over there said:
Hazy992 said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
Hazy992 said:
Ooh another MLP thread!

This should be fun!
I think so, before that it was I believe racism and before that it was sex offenders. I swear people just get a bunch of top stories from a newspaper and throw darts at them to choose.
Would surprise me if they did tbh :p

him over there

Dec 17, 2011
Hazy992 said:
him over there said:
Hazy992 said:
him over there said:
Hazy992 said:
him over there said:
Hazy992 said:
him over there said:
Hazy992 said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
Hazy992 said:
Ooh another MLP thread!

This should be fun!
Would surprise me if they did tbh :p
Well if they are... then games of darts of becoming all the more common. the topics have been coming and going slightly faster and faster it seems like, we might be approaching a hot button singularity soon.

Robert632

May 11, 2009
gigastrike said:
Robert632 said:
Least Favourite:The one where AJ runs away for not winning all 1st place. Can't even remember its name.
...Walk away, right now.

As a whole, I think season 2 was slightly better than the first, though it certainly had its share of bad episodes. It's certainly nice to see that they're finally starting to loosen up and take more risks. Early season 1 episode were bland for that exact reason.

The season finale was great, way better than The Best Night Ever. There are still some things that I would have preferred they'd handled differently, but it was certainly satisfying.

Favorite Episode: I honestly can't decide. It's a toss-up between The Return of Harmony Part 2, Hearth's Warming Eve, the Last Roundup, and It's About Time.

Least Favorite Episode: Probably MMMystery on the Friendship Express, but Family Appreciation day was petty close.

It's not like I said I didn't like Hearth's Warming Eve,too.

[sub]Oh right...I don't like that one either...[/sub]

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
I thought it was the poniest pony that ever ponied a pony.

[sub]I don't watch MLP but I imagine my statement is eerily accurate.[/sub]
yeah that would be accurate.
OT: I enjoyed it, The Season Finale was amazing. Definitely my favorite episodes.

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
I could have done with one less Twilight song, but overall it was probably my favorite pair of episodes since Episode Seven. Seriously, that was freaking awesome.

Also, Discord and Chrysalis need to get together for some super-villain shenanigans.

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
JaceArveduin said:
Hey, was there always a pink bubble around Canterlot? I may be crazy, but as soon as I saw that I thought of FO:E...
And the fact that there was a bypass spell for the train? Wouldn't be the first time they made an allusion to FO:E.

Eric Morales

Dec 6, 2011
All things considered I'd say the show is only getting better. Season 2 had a few clunkers (Mare-Do-Well, Dragon Quest, A Friend in Deed come to mind) but easily twice as many episodes that were the greatest thing ever (Luna Eclipsed, Return of Harmony, Lesson Zero, Cider Squeezy 6000 for instance).

I was a little worried about making Derpy a named character, I liked her more as an Easter egg/wink and nod to the herd though I could have sworn I saw somewhere that S3 is actually going to have a Derpy centric episode, we'll see how that goes. If nothing else the creators have earned the benefit of the doubt.

I will say that season 2 could have used more Twilight Sparkle, but EVERYTHING could use more Twilight Sparkle.