So has any game made you feel "wow this is next gen stuff right here"

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
MarsAtlas said:
Yes, Press X to Pay Respects.

I don't have a high opinion of "next-gen".
Damn. Beat to it.

Largely, by the time we hit games worth a damn, "next gen" is "this gen" and possibly soon to be "last gen."

Of course, in my case, I don't have a next gen console, and I'm not sure what the last major release I bought for PC was.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
FF13 initially did, but the novelty wore off real fast.

More recently, and to my surprise, silent hill P.T. It was almost photorealistic. I didn't expect the graphics to be much better this gen, but that really surprised me.

franticfarken

Mar 25, 2013
Born in 96, so the first games I played were fifth generation.

Sixth generation however.... Playing Call of Duty (1) for the first time, with so many scripted scenes and great character animations and atmosphere, for me it changed what I thought FPS' could be other than the Medal of honor and Doom systems of lots of similar corridors.
As well as Morrowind,a game which was so incredible in so many other ways that is still unbeaten for me. An entire massive open world that is hand crafted at every point and not randomly generated, WHAT BLACK MAGIC IS THAT!

Seventh generation: Nintendo Wii motion controls, even though I knew they were a gimmick being able to play a game like Wii Sports in my house was truly an entirely new experience.

Eighth generation: Finding out Wii-U will have 8 players lan on one system with Super Smash Bros.The only next-gen thing for me personally.

However currently I'm playing Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines. This is sixth generation but with the un-official patches the game is more inspiring and truly next gen in terms of writing quality and atmosphere. It's quite sad that it's taking a 2004 game to be miles ahead of quality in that being released today (although I do admit the functionality at launch was unforgivable).

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Good Old FFVII in the late nineties. The backgrounds and the battle animations were better than most animated series on tv. For 6th gen I'd say GTA III, but it was also because the change in perspective was so striking. PS3 launch games were also quite good looking, but they also sounded extremely impressive at the time.

On PC a similar sense of awe has happened twice. First was when Empire Earth came out with the most epic cinematic trailer they even showed on tv. Age of Empires had four technological ages - EE HAS 12!! MECHS! LASERS! It was AoE and C&C combined and that sure was something for the little boy me. The other was Crysis which I'm sure everyone can still remember. I was a bit late to the party, but I hadn't yet spoiled the most gorgeous part, so it indeed struck a wow-effect.

someonehairy-ish

Mar 15, 2009
Do you mean this gen? Cos' no, nothing has made me feel like that with this console generation.

Last gen however, I remember getting out of the starting dungeon in Oblivion for the first time and being like 'holy shit'. I can walk up any of those mountains? I can go wherever the hell I want? Sure, Morrowind did the same thing, but it looked like butt. Oblivion looks kinda ugly now too, but at the time it was amazing.

duwenbasden

King of the Celery people
Jan 18, 2012
NES to SNES (Super Mario 3 -> 4), Gameboy Advanced to Dell Axim. Starcraft and SimCity 2000 blew me away back in the days too.

My heavily modded Skyrim looks better than GTA 5 on "next-gen". How long before we realise this notion of "Gen" do not apply to PC. The last "gen" we collectively had was from Windows 3.1 to Windows 95, and from 98 to XP (and DX9 to 10, maybe? :D)

MarsAtlas said:
Yes, Press X to Pay Respects.

I don't have a high opinion of "next-gen".
Yep.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
The first Unreal.

The lighting, light sources, gloss surfaces, colours, the shiny was so new and shocking at the time, especially since the closest other competitor was Quake 2, with it's relentless brownness, much flatter texturing, less effects, smaller areas, etc.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Not for a while.

Commodore 64 to NES felt like a major jump.
SNES to N64 felt like a major jump at the time.

Since then...most of the changes have happened during the lifespan of the systems rather than as of the launch of a new console. The jump from Gamecube to Wii initially felt like a major jump until the limitations of motion controls became a reality.

XaVierDK

Jan 16, 2008
The first F.E.A.R.. Not just because of the amazing lighting and shadows. It had some amazingly impressive AI tricks to show off, and it was really the first 1st person horror game that "worked" for me, even if you were playing as an unstoppable superman.
Yeah, I know you can't really talk about "generations" on PC, but it just felt like a leap.

If I have to go back further, I'd say watching Quake 2 for the first time, and seeing my neighbour turn on 3D acceleration. My 9 year old mind couldn't quite comprehend how the game managed to run smoother AND look better at the same time. That was awe-inspiring as well.

For console-games, it would be KillZone 2 for shooters, Batman Arkham Asylum for 3rd person action (Maybe Assassin's Creed) and God of War for pure awesome.

Zeterai

Oct 19, 2009
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. I bought it with my Wii, and upgraded from a GameCube. Now, I realize that either of these systems weren't exactly synonymous with graphical fidelity to rival their.. erm.. rivals.. but those lighting effects.

Half-Life 2 was like that as well. I remember back when the Source engine was a big deal.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
Basically, every first new AAA game from the new generations I got: Mario 64, Mario Sunshine, Gears of War 2, and Titanfall.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Secret of Evermore and Secret of Mana for the SNES.

Mana, because of just about everything and Evermore because my partner was a fucking robot toaster dog with a plasma cannon.

And special kudos to Mana for having the fast travel options of flying dragon and motherfucking cannons. Yes - fast travel cannons with Rastafarian attendants, shooting you to your desired location. You don't see that in many other games, do you?

The next game that did that was Wild ARMs 1 for the PS1. Since then, no other game has wowed me to that effect.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
The first "next gen" game I played was Dead Rising 3. It did feel pretty next level. When you escape the first area and find yourself on the highway looking out over what has to be at least a couple thousand individual zombies all wanting to snack on your squishy bits... that felt pretty cool.

Dead Rising has always been about pushing the most amount of zombies that the hardware would allow. And as a fan of the series (and zombie fiction in general), I've always really liked their approach to the undead horde. The old games would have dozens of zombies on screen, but you would always seen many copies of the same few models. Which was fine in the 360 days. The DR3 approach felt next gen to me even though the game is far from the best looking game on the system.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
Going to the N64 from SNES and Genesis was incredible back in the day. Star Fox 64 was just mind blowing to tiny me, maybe even more so than Mario 64. Which still blew my mind of course.

Another great example would be going from N64 to the Gamecube. Star Wars Rogue Squadron 2: Rogue Leader looked "HD" to me back then. It still looks great to this day, I don't know what magic Factor 5 used on the Gamecube, but it was beautiful. Plus, going from Super Smash Bros. on N64 to Smash Bros. Melee was also a real game changer for me. The movement, the visuals, and expanded modes. The difference was night and day.

Needless to say, this current gen has not done that for me yet. It is nice to see Nintendo games finally being made in HD, but I've been wowed by HD games before so I would not call it a new experience.

Ryan Hughes

Jul 10, 2012
Nothing from this generation, obviously. Graphics may be shiny nowadays, but true innovations in gameplay and story telling are hard to come by.

Silent Hill 2 was likely the biggest jump for me in generations. It was one of the first titles designed to really work the PS2 to its limit, and boy did it take horror to a new level.

As for other generations, Mario 64 is an obvious choice, as it used the raw horsepower of the N64 to show things that just had not been possible before.

Suikoden I for the PS1 is another, not because of its graphics -those are sprites on par with some 16-bit titles like Chrono Trigger- but because of its depth of story. The move to disc-based consoles removed the storage limitations of the 16-bit cartridges, and allowed simply for a much more expansive story and setting.

zegram33

Oct 24, 2012
well, oblivion and skyrim of course. oblivion especially, at the time one of my friends just didn't believe there was an overworld at all (he thought I was lying about it)
hmn.....Just cause 2 back on ps3 was the first time I remember just sitting and watching the world (far cry 3 had me doing the same thing, and RDR to a lesser extent)

WhiteNachos

Jul 25, 2014
G00N3R7883 said:
No, because I feel like devs, journalists and a lot of players view "next gen" as "shinier graphics". But I want "next gen" to mean smarter AI, better level design, more quest completion options, etc, I could go on for a while listing all the different elements that make a good game, but you know what I mean.

I haven't seen any of that stuff yet. Which is not to say all the games I've played recently have been bad. I just haven't seen any improvements from "last gen".
Huh interesting, I'm curious for some examples. The only ones I can think of are the invention of FPS and othre genres when we went from 2D and 3d and sandbox games which were much easier to make on PS2 and PS3 games.

I mean good level design is still good level design all the next gen consoles do is remove some limits to what you can do.

SuperSuperSuperGuy

Jun 19, 2010
I grew up with a limited N64 library and Pokémon on my Game Boy Colour. When I got my Gamecube, I was AMAZED by Super Mario Sunshine. It looked so... beautiful and amazing. Same with Star Fox Adventures, which I liked a lot more than most people did. The environments in Star Fox Adventures were absolutely wonderful; even to this day, I think that it's one of the most atmospheric games I've ever played. Smash Bros. Melee also felt like such an improvement over the N64 iteration.

Maybe my opinion is coloured by nostalgia, which is entirely possible, but the jump from N64 to Gamecube was the biggest, most significant "next-gen" change I've ever felt, especially considering I don't feel much of a difference between, say, the PS3 and the PS4.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
I can think of a few games that had that effect. The first one was GTA 3, i spent a bunch of hours palying GTA 2 on PS1 so when i saw by beloved game in 3D it was something amazing. The second one was HL2, i don't even know what it was, the graphics, physics, characters, environment, probably the whole package that showed me something that i have never seen before.