So how is Deus Ex: Human Revolution?

NewYork_Comedian

Nov 28, 2009
I'm curious about buying the game, but it's either this or Red Orchestra 2, so I want to know from the average gamer and not a reviewer how they think of the game. What do you think of it so far?

oplinger

Sep 2, 2010
It feels like Deus Ex. I'm not too far in, but I really like it so far. It's got a few problems, like the mouse is a little floaty, and the loading times are pretty long.

Otherwise I think it's amazing :p

Googenstien

Jul 6, 2010
I think I am going to grab it.. heard nothing but good shit about it so far. II just hope the differences among the specs are really all that different so you want to replay the game different ways.

Skorpyo

Average Person Extraordinaire!
May 2, 2010
Take the awesomeness of the original, take all the good parts of Mass Effect 2 and Alpha Protocol, and you're pretty much there.

It's really, really good. I've yet to find much to complain about.

Harb

May 2, 2010
It's a really, really good game, but you need to have "a thing" for this kind of games. You have to be able to appreciate different approaches to each situation or problem. Possibilities is what DX:HR offers. Sure, you can go guns blazing through the whole game, but that would be like trying to stealth in CoD:MW2.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution manages to stand next to the original Deus Ex without looking dumb or bad. Which hasn't been done for 11 years.

Buy it, you won't regret.

Chased

Sep 17, 2010
I haven't played the first Deus Ex, so I can't create a comparison there. Nonetheless this is a fantastic game, the world looks like its actually inhabited, living and breathing with a myriad of people with their own personal agendas. The game is fairly open and a lot of choices are left up to the player to determine how he or she wishes to handle certain situations and progress. Really enjoying it thus far, I'd highly recommend it.

SnakeCL

Apr 8, 2008
Its absolutely amazing. I got totally hooked after the intro credits sequence.

Delsana

Aug 16, 2011
I kind of wish that the main character smoked cigars rather than cigarettes... just makes me dislike him more because of that.

I know... I know...

ResonanceGames

Feb 25, 2011
It's a really good game. The PC version has some mouse issues, and every version has some loading time problems (it matters because the game both encourages trial and error and refuses to be easy) but it's still probably the best game I've played this year. Definitely a 'buy,' not a 'rent.'

thatonedude11

Mar 6, 2011
So far, I think it's awesome. I'm only a few hours in, but I think most of the gameplay mechanics work really well.

Stall

Apr 16, 2011
I've been playing it all day, and yeah... it's pretty damn good. Almost every approach to a situation is viable, the story is quite engrossing, characters likable, and the dialogue is quite compelling. The augmentations are all cool, and it becomes quite difficult to decide what you want. Each playthrough seems to be about 14-18 hours each, so there is plenty of fun to be had.

The game certainly has flaws though. As others have said, the mouse controls on the menu can be a little fidgety at times, though this only really becomes frustrating when hacking. Some people have complained about the default controls, but that really isn't a big deal (I think its fine). I have encountered one bug that made an objective to one of the early side missions impossible to complete. Worse of all, however, is that despite the fact that every approach is viable, going in guns blazing is definitely the easiest, and the game does little to discourage such behavior. Worse yet, it has a way of forcing you into combat that really sucks.

Neuromaster

Mar 4, 2009
Any word on how it plays with older hardware on the PC? I'm running an Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3GHz and a Nvidia GTX260, so I'm a bit concerned about framerate issues.

Belvadier

May 17, 2009
Neuromaster said:
Any word on how it plays with older hardware on the PC? I'm running an Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3GHz and a Nvidia GTX260, so I'm a bit concerned about framerate issues.
I'm running it on an i7 @ 2.7ghz and a GTX 260 and with some compromises it runs at 50-60fps. I am running it at 1920 x 1080 with everything on except AA has to be turned to edge only (the game literally refuses to run and says to turn down settings if I try for full screen AA) and trilinear filtering but other than that everything is on (other than the DX11 stuff which obviously won't run on a gtx260). I must say the game looks great and the framerate is super smooth (like i said, 50-60 according to fraps).

I'm wasn't sure I liked the fact that DE:HR kind of bullies you into certain settings (for instance not allowing me to turn on more AA if i want) but I will say that it does ensure a good frame rate.

On the topic of the quality of the game: it is pretty awesome. Other than The Witcher 2 it is probably the best game i've played this year so far. I am playing on PC and I don't seem to notice any of these "mouse problems" that people are talking about but maybe that's just me not noticing things. The game is actually surprisingly difficult which is awesome. The loading times are TERRIBLE which is a shame since I do die a lot since it is kinda of trial and error.

To the person who said that fighting was definitely the easiest way to get things done...i'm not so sure I agree. I find combat to be pretty difficult and try to avoid it as much as I can. You die VERY fast out of cover but maybe this is just me sucking at FPS games...

theevilgenius60

Jun 28, 2011
I'm only on the first mission after augmentation, but so far it's the shit. I'm a big Mass Effect fan and this feels like a darker, grittier, more customizable Mass Effect 2. Then again this is just me seeing it through the first bit. Here's hoping it keeps this up

inFAMOUSCowZ

Jul 12, 2010
Really the lip sync and some character models are bad. But those are just small problems when this games universe and gameplay is so solid.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Great game, but GAHHH, too many buttons needed for controlling it.

I've been thinking that I need a new mouse for gaming, one with a bunch of programmable buttons, and this game definitely proved me right. After playing this game for about an hour I went on Amazon and purchased a new mouse I've had my eye on. Just couldn't stand that I couldn't get the cloak button any closer to my hand than putting it on F1. That's too far to reach in combat damn it!

Anyway, hoping that a new mouse and new mouse drivers will also help to floaty feeling of the mouse.