So how is Deus Ex: Human Revolution?

Bobbity

Mar 17, 2010
Kimarous said:
Bobbity said:
Advice: When you're upgrading, don't bother with the Dermal plating. Trying to run and gun even with it is hopeless, and you're much better off working as a sniper or stealthy guy. Cover based combat works, but you don't need the armour for that either. If you get to the point that you need it, then you're dead anyway.
What about the side path for the anti-EMP/electrocution augmentation? That has saved me a lot of grief in my own playthrough, and while the armour aspect is "useless", it can still buy the precious few seconds you need to run up to an enemy's face (for takedowns) or to dash for cover when caught off-guard.
That's fair enough, I guess. I just found that I wasn't being EMP'd as often as I was being gassed to death. The extra durability for takedowns is kind of cool, but I found that waiting around corners worked better for me anyway.

That's just my take though, maybe I shouldn't have made such an absolute statement originally. :p

pegi989

May 27, 2011
it's WAY overhyped by the media but it is a good game it just has some stupid things like those talks they have no background so you don't know them and you are just being suspected to understand them i hated that makes me want to shoot their brains out.
and the talks themselfs are WAY to long they just talk on and on and on it irritaded the heck out of me.
and sometimes i wish'd the dude could ledge grab if died many times by just falling of something

for the rest it's a great game the city looks awesome the whole enviorment is great and the story is as confusing as the first game and the overal gameplay is great too.

so besides the really anoying flaws in the beginning of the game it's worth having but i would have given it a 8,5 and not a 9,5

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
Jonluw said:
Alfador_VII said:
MiracleOfSound said:
Absolutely wonderful game, apart from the shitty boss fights.
I was enjoying it a lot, until I got to the first boss, the stupid guy with the gun arm. No way to hack or stealth round him.

After trying to be stealthy before that, the game basically turns round and says "haha, you're doing it wrong, you need to be really good with guns!"

I'm playing on normal mode,and even emptying a few clips into him (or more likely near him as I didn't improve any combat augs) I can't even scratch him, whereas he can kill me in a few shots :(
A friend of mine told me about the first bossfight before I reached it.
He told me it was really hard; and he had improved his combat augments.

I, on the other hand, had been stealthing my way through the entire game until then, putting most of my praxis into hacking.
I reached the boss without upgrading any combat-augments, and was sort of worried I wouldn't be able to deal with him.

1. Get behind cover.
2. Throw an emp/concussion grenade at him.
3. Throw a frag grenade at him.
4. Shoot him with my stun gun.
5. Throw frag grenade.
6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 ad nauseum.

(He died after approximately 4 grenades.)
I managed him on the first try, without upgrading my combat augments (no, I do not play on "give me a story").
I don't see what the fuss is about.
Even better, did any of you notice the dozen or so explosive barrels lying around? Plenty of gas ones to stun Barret while you look for the red ones, and if he doesn't kick the bucket from all those barrels, unloading two shots into his face with a 10mm pistol (of which there are several lying around) will drop him.

With the second boss, I find that blowing up the generators and then jumping like a mad man/throwing an EMP grenade, then pumping explosives or bullets into the boss solves the problem pretty well.

As for the third, there's a plasma rifle lying around. Drop some items temporarily so that you can use it, and the battle becomes cake.

The fourth can easily be completed with some hacking/conversational skills. Enter "2012" into /hack the console in the center of the room, then go hide behind one of the two doors leading into armories, and you're golden.

They're not that difficult if you have a bit of ingenuity.

marurder

Jul 26, 2009
Still playing it on PC, played the original when it came out too (and the horrible 2nd one that nobody will acknowledge) This is a big step in the right direction, but I dislike some scenes which play as a movie (people can escape and you cannot kill them) it feels linear in some respects like a step away from what it should be.
Love the social interaction. I found that responses would get different reactions even if you reload (with augments), so it isn't a direct 3-4-2-4 and you have to LOOK at what the person is feeling instead of just skipping. Hope game can pick up and improve on this aspect.
Took awhile for me to get a feel for the 'stealthy' way of doing things. The game forces you to stick to the walls, even if you just release the button you might be seen. Don't like that. Combat is fun and I am only using take-downs (non-lethal). Could shoot but that honestly isn't as fun (for me). Awesome game, buy it.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Mr.K. said:
And what is with the bloody hacking, they stretch out those silly little icons into a huge map then give you a tiny port hole so you need to constantly scroll around in it.
I noticed that too, it is a rather strange feature. Why not make the nodes and bridges smaller and just make the curser a bit slower?

wildpeaks

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Dec 25, 2008
It's quite yellow, but it's feels like a real Deus Ex, so that's good (I miss a quicksave button however, and what's with the arbitrary restriction on what keyboard keys can be bound or not ? that breaks my works-for-all-games-and-fine-tuned-over-the-years layout).

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
MiracleOfSound said:
Mr.K. said:
And what is with the bloody hacking, they stretch out those silly little icons into a huge map then give you a tiny port hole so you need to constantly scroll around in it.
I noticed that too, it is a rather strange feature. Why not make the nodes and bridges smaller and just make the curser a bit slower?
No you can't go messing with the mouse, that just feels horrible to play.
I say make it button navigated only and have the view move with your selection, this way it also takes extra steps to move around while the user still regains full control, plus he get's extra finger dexterity mastery out of it so as he hacks more it would get easier and feel better.

It's always the little details that push a game from good to great.

Deimateos

Apr 25, 2009
NewYork_Comedian said:
I'm curious about buying the game,
Just finished it last night, two words: Buy it.

It's more like the first Deus Ex than the second and makes me think of a conspiracy theory Mass Effect 2. A Mass Effect 2 where you can actually be stealthy. Just know that if you want to have more options than stealth 60% of the time, chose Normal.

NinjaRock

Aug 16, 2011
The game is great aside from a few minor setbacks
I seriously don't like the cut scenes and the lip-syncing could do with some work but for the most part you don't notice.

I never thought i would be saying this but it has a great cover system, with awesome stealth and decent gun-play if your into that. The augmentations are pretty cool but don't cheapen the experience as there are several ways to play.
My favorite thing is that it doesn't have a black and white morality system, i think what you do has repercussions but its not like Mass Effect where you can be in between or good or evil.

Stealth is really rewarding as it feels so good when you get the ghost experience bonus. I like the choice at the start between lethal and non-lethal and the positive and negative effects of knocking out vs killing when being stealthy. Killing, they can't be woken up (obviously) but its more noisy, while knocking out is silent but if found they can be woken up again.

P.S. Still on track to get the pacifist achievement on steam :D

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
It's amazing. So far there are only 3 flaws with the game that I can identify, and 2 of them are subjective.
1. It's really hard if you don't play stealthy. Luckily for me I like playing stealth characters anyways.
2. The AI is kind of dumb which makes them easy to manipulate and sneak around. I don't know if that was a design choice or not, because playing stealth would be really frustrating otherwise.
3. Lots of loading.

But yeah the story, the writing, the atmosphere, the game as a whole? Brilliant. Were Skyrim not coming out later this year I would say that it was going to take home GOTY awards from everyone. It's been a while since I was this impressed with atmosphere and game design.

xchurchx

Nov 2, 2009
Personally i'm on the fence it looks like a good game and plays well, however its not the best game i've ever played

Rath709

Mar 18, 2008
Games that don't allow you to use Enter as a bindable key and won't run in a window are automatic fail. Other than that, all is well.

Irriduccibilli

Jun 15, 2010
I love it. The only qualm I have with it is that I want more. The game is huge, but I still want more, even after two playthroughs. I guess that's only a good thing.

BoTTeNBReKeR

Oct 23, 2008
So, if you're a fan of stealth games like Hitman and Splinter Cell and decided to play through ME1 + ME2 as a infiltrator this game will blow your mind?

Cause I'm still sorta on the fence wether I'll buy this game. Heard some mixed opinions.

Also, if the AI is that bad, how bad would you say it is? Cause if it's just like in Splinter Cell 1 I can totally live with it.

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
Mr.K. said:
TheTaco007 said:
It's pretty awesome. I'm not too far in, but it's amazing.

Only 2 minor problems: 1st I had to mess with the settings because for some reason it had a delayed reaction to me moving my mouse, which made it very difficult to aim, and also a lot of the times in the pause menu when you click on things it just doesn't hear you for some reason and you have to press enter to click things instead of the mouse button.

(Is this just me, or does this happen to other people?)
No it's the same for everyone, the game has a distinct console smell to it, all menu items must first be selected before activated and they don't do well on the selection part so it's always a trial and error fun time.
Especially fun when you are clicking the "Take all" button while the game tries to decide what to do, and ups you clicked one times too many it switched back from the loot menu and shot your last tranq dart...

There are some very odd design choices going on in this game, but the good still overshadows the bad by a long way.
Items can be bound to the number keys easily, so I have weapons and grenades and health things from 1-9, smells consoley to me as well ?? I think there's even a bind to cycle the items from 1-9

Press e to loot people, I don't understand how you can accidentally be firing.

Use the mouse scroll to zoom out and see the whole hacking grid, problem solved quickly and easily. You can even do it before you try to cap the first node so it wastes no time.

Really, none of these were an issue at all.

Alkore

May 25, 2009
So far I have just beaten the second boss and I am having a blast. It has been a while scince I have had this much fun playing a game. Especally scince im trying to get the acheivement for not killing anyone.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Awww, all these awesome things are making me want it now! When I cant get it till a few days. Also, should I get it for ps3 (on my 42" tv) or for my gaming laptop (whichll run it at high settings), bearing in mind my internets crap, so the download will take ages, and Im not sure if my laptop will be able to run it. So basically should I get it for ps3(worse graphics, but HD and on a massive screen), Or for PC (better graphics, but bad download and im not sure it can run it well).

Nobby

Nov 13, 2009
I sat down to play earlier saying to myself "I'll only play an hour or so." 5 hours later I emerge from my room. This game is awesome.

Also I don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet but in my opinion the soundtrack is just perfect for this game. It sets the tone so well and really compliments the setting.