So how is Deus Ex: Human Revolution?

Alkore

May 25, 2009
Volan said:
Souplex said:
As scientists have pointed out for years:
Stealth =/= Fun.
So the Thief series isn't fun in the slightest, then? ;P

I haven't played any of the previous games, and I haven't played any of the other games that people have been comparing it to (like, say, Mass Effect). Do you all think someone like me would still enjoy it then? I love customization and FPS, and definitely stealth, so the answer is looking quite favourable, but I'd like an actual opinion from someone who has played it.
So Far I have played at least 90% stealth game play and the only major prolems ive had so far are the boss battles which usully consist of you and the boss in some kind of room an you just have to gun them down but other than that I love it.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Baneat said:
Items can be bound to the number keys easily, so I have weapons and grenades and health things from 1-9, smells consoley to me as well ?? I think there's even a bind to cycle the items from 1-9

Press e to loot people, I don't understand how you can accidentally be firing.

Use the mouse scroll to zoom out and see the whole hacking grid, problem solved quickly and easily. You can even do it before you try to cap the first node so it wastes no time.
It's consoley because every menu options needs to be selected before it can be clicked, and selection doesn't always happen or is delayed when you go over options with the mouse, it's a common issue among console ports.

See they didn't write E is the "Take all" option, you accidentally fire if you try to click the "take all" button and the game can't decide if it's active yet or not.
I never saw zoom being mentioned on hacking and it's only one stage so bigger networks still don't fit, and the text gets fucked up when you do zoom.

But thanks these things will help ease some annoyances.

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
Mr.K. said:
Baneat said:
Items can be bound to the number keys easily, so I have weapons and grenades and health things from 1-9, smells consoley to me as well ?? I think there's even a bind to cycle the items from 1-9

Press e to loot people, I don't understand how you can accidentally be firing.

Use the mouse scroll to zoom out and see the whole hacking grid, problem solved quickly and easily. You can even do it before you try to cap the first node so it wastes no time.
It's consoley because every menu options needs to be selected before it can be clicked, and selection doesn't always happen or is delayed when you go over options with the mouse, it's a common issue among console ports.

See they didn't write E is the "Take all" option, you accidentally fire if you try to click the "take all" button and the game can't decide if it's active yet or not.
I never saw zoom being mentioned on hacking and it's only one stage so bigger networks still don't fit, and the text gets fucked up when you do zoom.

But thanks these things will help ease some annoyances.
Nah if you scroll downwards it can zoom out until the entire network is fit, no matter the size. I've done it with particularly labyrinthine nodes.

Also, to use items you can drag etc. without selecting "Move", you can bind them by dragging to the buttons, you can drop by dragging off the screen. The only thing you have to do to combine that has to be selected like a console is combine, because PC games have done this in the past "think repairing in Fallout 3" or point and clickers. This is to differentiate between wanting to switch their places in the inventory or wanting to combine. Combining isn't a frequent choice anyway.

Also: Less consoley feel because the PC version is decked in DX11 features and can get pretty nice if you scale the settings up. To me it feels like instead of DA2, they've opted for DA:O's usability with PCs. They've somehow kept the console stuff in too, which is interesting.

I am STILL not understanding this accidental firing issue you're having.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Baneat said:
Also, to use items you can drag etc. without selecting "Move", you can bind them by dragging to the buttons, you can drop by dragging off the screen...

Don't think we're on the same page here, when I talk about menu options and menu items I'm not talking about the items menu, I'm talking about all menus from when you enter the game to those ingame.
They have a noticeable delay when used with the mouse, and as I'm fairly quick the clicking sometimes get's ignored or delayed, so when it delays I presume it didn't register the click so I click again.
That is where the loot/fire problem comes from, game sometimes takes a moment to decide if you clicked the "take all" button and just as I click again the loot is done and then it thinks I want to fire.

busters

Aug 5, 2011
Mr.K. said:
Baneat said:
Also, to use items you can drag etc. without selecting "Move", you can bind them by dragging to the buttons, you can drop by dragging off the screen...

Don't think we're on the same page here, when I talk about menu options and menu items I'm not talking about the items menu, I'm talking about all menus from when you enter the game to those ingame.
They have a noticeable delay when used with the mouse, and as I'm fairly quick the clicking sometimes get's ignored or delayed, so when it delays I presume it didn't register the click so I click again.
That is where the loot/fire problem comes from, game sometimes takes a moment to decide if you clicked the "take all" button and just as I click again the loot is done and then it thinks I want to fire.
You're talking about when you look at a body and look at the items they're holding by pressing [E]? You can press [E] again to take all of the items; no mouse clicking needed.

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
Mr.K. said:
Baneat said:

Aha, didn't even know clicking on corpses loots them, I always use "e" no matter what really, you have to press it twice to actually loot all.

This menu lag, is an issue I don't have at all.

sumanoskae

Dec 7, 2007
Ed130 said:
sumanoskae said:
No, it was the quest that Megan's mother gave you.

I knocked some guy out by accident, shot him in the head, and it still said he was knocked out.
For the mother quest you can get the codes required from either a computer or a speech check off a guy in an apartment building (I think.)

As for the shot to the head, what weapon were you using? for me a single assault rifle round to the head or a short burst to the torso of an unconscious civilian was enough to kill them. (That is change the unconscious symbol to a skull.)
It was on a computer, but it required a hacking upgrade to use.

I shot a downed guard in the head with a 10.mm pistol(Because that was the only weapon I consistently had ammo for), and the symbol didn't change.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
sumanoskae said:
It was on a computer, but it required a hacking upgrade to use.

I shot a downed guard in the head with a 10.mm pistol(Because that was the only weapon I consistently had ammo for), and the symbol didn't change.
You may be right about the code for the sidequest, I was running through those and not paying much attention.

As for the head-shot with the 10mm pistol, I'm not too surprised, the pistol is pretty weak (only three damage bars on the examine mode for the stock version) that coupled with the health of the guard (plus armour if he was wearing a helmet) would have meant that he would have survived the shot.

REcaptcha: lystedAc click

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
It's good. I'm not going to reiterate what everybody else has been saying, so I'll just point out a few things that I don't like about it so far.

-The character models are strangely-animated, the result of this being that people's arms tend to twitch like a sack of badly-sedated weasels when you are engaged in conversations with them.

-The dialogue can be a bit stilted at times, especially Adam Jensen's emotionless drawl.

-The environments are sort of samey [I am in the second city hub, so this may well change]. The best comparison is Omega from Mass Effect 2, which is nice when there's some contrast. That said, there are some really nice design elements. I was just expecting more of that Renaissance-revival look that defines Jensen's apartment.

-Boss fights seem to be pretty maligned, and I can sort of understand why. Same problem as Arkham Asylum, where they coerce you into playing in a way that may not be consistent with how you've been playing so far.

Don't let any of that put you off, though. The game is engaging and a blast to play. My friend's currently playing a new game on it, and discovering a load of stuff that I hadn't noticed on my playthrough. Lots of options, from exploration and dialogue to character builds.

Go for it, I say.

The3rdEye

Mar 19, 2009
Would I buy it again at release price? No.
Is it good? Yes.
Is it great? No.
Does it have problems? Yes.

There's so much stacked against you if you choose to go without taking hacking levels that it can be quite detrimental. PDA's with security codes are often in obscure locations or on the dead/unconcious bodies of guards. Why can't you pickpocket them? Are "stealth" and "theft" not best of friends? Or tap into their PDA via wireless connection? Your body is a walking heap of technological marvels but you can't crack into someone's bluetooth? There are times and situations where I do feel that I'm being punished for not falling within the designer's predictions.

Why can I run a city block with all of these bionic enhancements without a recharge, but I fork out a whole cell of energy just to take out one guy, the same amount of juice required to make me completely invisible for 3 seconds? Considering that there is at times the need/option to break glass in order to progress, why do you need to whip out your (hopefully silenced) firearm in order to do so? A flick of the wrist would suffice, something that would have been extremely useful if you needed to get one enemy's attention from cover (like the wall tap from MG).

Yes, it's a very story centric game, I get that. Being published by SE that's actually something I expect. Up until the events in Montreal, about half way through the game (?) the pacing seems deliberately slow, sparse and just not that intriguing, tendencies to guess ahead aside. Quest challenges and rewards are very isolated from the overall experience, which wouldn't bother me if the game wasn't such a linear experience overall. Overall there was little character development with the notable exception of Faridah Malik, pilot and secondary character to the entire story. Even though her scenes are limited and aren't necessarily needed to drive the story forward, she was still the most interesting. Jensen being an emotionless statue of a lead whose voice actor gargle's the same gravel as Christian Bale while embarking on missions that cover a range of ethical issues with all the emotional range of my toaster doesn't help either.

Don't get me wrong, there's a lot of good there. At first it felt like I was playing a true spiritual successor to Shadowrun (the network icons helped quite a bit, devil in the details) and that really excited me. Then it started to feel like Ghost in the Shell with the thermo-optic camo, and the conspiracies within conspiracies plot loops. But I can't help but suspect that there's the chance that the market has been so sorely starved for a well executed stealth game/sequel (and it is well executed mind, not great but well) that there might be some blinding between what is there and what we wish it was.

Honestly the only things that ever kept me going was the hope that while what I had seen so far was by no means bad, that maybe there was something just around the corner that would really make me sink my teeth into the game and not want to let go. Add in the seldom present (but well executed) musical score and unimpressive level design and sadly, that just never really happened.[footnote]What the hell is up with all the cardboard boxes? Do corrugated paper products gain the ability to reproduce in the future or what?[/footnote]

LookingGlass

Jul 6, 2011
Am I the only one dealing with an inordinate number of crashes (PC)? I've played 5-6 hours and it's crashed 8 or 9 times. They appear to be getting more frequent too, after making it through the first 90-120 mins without issue.