So, How'd You Do In Overwatch?

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Overwatch launched yesterday and while I certainly got a few good hours of play in, it wasn't without it's problems. Got booted three times and towards the end of my evening I ended up playing 4 "full games" of TDM since apparently the game quit looking for other players once the game I was in one that got to 11 players.

But lets not dwell on the negative, lets talk about the fun we had! I know it's almost impossible to suck as Bastion but...well...I found out that I suck as Bastion :p. Nah, if it's turrets we're dealing with, gimme Torbjorn any day. Managed to get a Play Of The Game as my turret got a double kill and I - in my ulti - got a triple kill.

In other news: I landed a Legendary skin (Mercy's Valkyrie) in my 4th loot box, so that's nice. :3

So just as the topic says: How'd you do in Overwatch?

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
Spent about 10/15 minutes waiting for the servers to boot up, got kicked from my first game and then played 4/5 games in a row flawlessly with some Canadian friends with little to no noticeable lag on my end. Quite surprised there was only two minor hiccups on launch for me, to be honest.

Got two PotG as well, one similar to your Torbjorn one, except it was three turret ulti kills and one weapon kill and I think the other one was as Winston, when I just battered 2 people to death in my ulti. Got nothing amazing from my loot boxes yet, apart from 50 of the ingame currency.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Sassafrass said:
Spent about 10/15 minutes waiting for the servers to boot up, got kicked from my first game and then played 4/5 games in a row flawlessly with some Canadian friends with little to no noticeable lag on my end. Quite surprised there was only two minor hiccups on launch for me, to be honest.
Yeah, despite my three drops (which happened earlier in the evening) it was pretty stable for the most part. The only other issue that cropped up was, as I mentioned, the matchmaker apparently quit on me. I tried 4 different "lobbies", each one would get up to 11 players and then just give up on finding more...so that's a lot of TDM up until the game says "You've been playing TDM for too long, shutting down the session." What really sucks is that I ended up being on some really good teams for those TDM's...wish I actually got to play a real game with them. :p

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
I started it up after about 45 minutes of it going live, and I played for about 3 hours in a row without any issues.

Had some good games with good teams, some terrible games with shit teams. But overall very enjoyable. I suspected the 'quality' of players would be rough at the start, what with Overwatch having so many characters and a particularly unique and unpredictable flow. It's pretty nice being a part of it at the start though.

Personally, I'm greatly enjoying my time with Lucio and his wallrunning shenanigans. It's just so amusing to me when I get rushed by someone, and I turn around and disappear by wall running around 7 corners. His ult is quite nice during crucial pushes as well. Other than that, there's a lot of Reapers that need stomping so I end up picking Mei a lot too, and just to generally be an arse.

I've gotten a few purple tier skins, like 2 I believe. And 1 gold tier skin so far, the B. Va skin <3 Not bad for my first day!

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Tohuvabohu said:
Other than that, there's a lot of Reapers that need stomping so I end up picking Mei a lot too, and just to generally be an arse.
Hehe, yeah, for me my favorite thing about Mei is that she's the Anti-PainInTheAss in that she's perfectly suited to taking out two of the heroes I hate the most: Genji and Reaper. And while she can't necessary take out a McCree, she can negate his effectiveness with a well-timed/placed ice wall.

1-800-STFU

Jun 8, 2008
Actually a very smooth launch, got in a server quickly. There were some latency issues and my kills registering seconds after they happen. I did disconnect 3-time during a match. I expect that to be fixed once the player count is normalized.

Dropped a 40-kill bomb as Tracer. Running around flanking all day is some fun shit.

This is definitely a game you want to get a group for, going solo is rough.

Jan 27, 2011
I had a blast with my escapist group friends, and with some IRL friends later.

I also found that I'm not that great at it when they reset the MMR. >_> And I found out that I hate mei with a freezing passion.

So I'm up on high ground a Reinhart, protecting Bastion, right? With a widowmaker up on a ledge behind us. Enemies pour through the choke point aaaaand...BAM. Ice wall in the face, all three of us lost line of sight. Overrun within moments. :s

Also, I STILL don't get Winston. His shield seems way too fragile for the time it takes to get off cooldown, I can't seem to properly aim my jump pounds on people, his tesla cannon takes too long to kill with mediocre range, and his Ult really doesn't do all that much damage. :s I think I'll just stick with Reinhart and maybe Roadhog again, even though he's not a "real" tank (he has no damage prevention method for his team)

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
aegix drakan said:
Also, I STILL don't get Winston. His shield seems way too fragile for the time it takes to get off cooldown, I can't seem to properly aim my jump pounds on people, his tesla cannon takes too long to kill with mediocre range, and his Ult really doesn't do all that much damage. :s I think I'll just stick with Reinhart and maybe Roadhog again, even though he's not a "real" tank (he has no damage prevention method for his team)
Reinhart really is the only "traditional tank" in that he does have the big shield to help everyone else out by soaking aggro and damage, the other tanks are meant more to be diversions and disruptions.

Winston, for example, isn't meant to do killing or protecting, he's meant to just cause chaos and be a distraction. You're not supposed to be getting kills with his gun, it's just there because he needs a weapon. You're supposed to just be jumping around and smacking people, keep the enemy shooting at you and they won't be shooting at your team. This hopefully allows your team to shoot at the enemy and take'em out while they're distracted.

Roadhog is much the same way, but he's a distraction in that you can't afford to let him go unchecked since he does have a decent amount of damage output. He's just a big ol' beef-tank and a bruiser...and if he's got a Mercy following him around, he's almost unkillable. D.Va is similar in that she does good damage and almost never has to leave the fight...assuming you can survive while you're out of your mech until a new mech is available. Using her ult in the right place at the right time can either zone an entire enemy team out of an area or completely wipe them.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
undeadsuitor said:
Games fun as shit though, even when I'm losing. I've never felt like a match was a lost cause, even towards the end.
And that's what I find to be one of the greatest things about the game: even if you're losing it's still straight-up fun. There's always the chance for that Last Stand to hold out the clock and pull victory from the jaws of defeat.

Unless the other team has a bastion behind a reinhardt shield.

In which case fuck them. I don't have a problem with bastion by himself, but that combo is just annoying.
Pssst: that's what Reaper's teleport is for. :3

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
undeadsuitor said:
RJ 17 said:
Pssst: that's what Reaper's teleport is for. :3
Yeah, I need to practice with it because its so clunky to use.

Doesn't work on route 66 though, but it's something. The only thing bothering me about overwatch right now is that symmetra, my favorite character, is pretty useless in most situations.
I'm pretty useless wih Symmetra myself, but I've seen some people do some absolutely WICKED stuff with her laser turrets. Defense Team had their teleporter right by the objective area, the only way to get to it was either run through the objective area - which we couldn't because it was just a killing field - or try a side-alley with a doorway...the opposite side of that doorway was lined with lasers, frying anyone that went through.

We didn't do so well that round. :p

I'd imagine proper use of Symmetra is probably like all the other characters: there's a certain situation/enemy comp/your team comp that works out very well. You can't just stick her in randomly into a team and do well, but the same can be said for pretty much all the heroes. That's why they let you switch out heroes in mid-game. :D

irish286

Mar 17, 2012
Got my ass kicked the first day, but now that the ranking system in matchmaking is taking hold It's getting better.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
Played a bunch of AI matches, trying to familiarize myself with characters, and one longass PVP match that we managed to win. Spent the game nailing Bastions and Pharahs in their respective faces.

I think I may be a Widowmaker/D.Va/McRee/Mercy sorta guy. Headshots with Widow are enjoyable and remind me of the good 'ol CoD 2 days. D.Va feels a bit weak, but she tanks well and brings that whole alohasnackbar angle. McRee's got a nice gun and that stun utilty is just great for handling crap like Reaper's ult. The Medi- I mean Mercy is an easy to play healer...so.

...Kinda disappointed that I'm having so much trouble figuring out how to play Tracer properly. That little warp jump feels wonky.

Weresquirrel

Aug 13, 2008
Mercy and D.Va are probably my two best characters. I'm really fond of Symmetra and Mei, but I don't often get the chance to play with them, since my services are usually needed elsewhere. Mei's both adorable and terrifying to face on the battlefield. And Symmetra is really difficult to deal with if you give her a chance to dig in to a place. Couple that with the teleporter and she's really good, even if she doesn't actually heal the team.

Had an absolutely fantastic match as D.Va earlier though. Didn't die once because I was being supported by a really good Zenyatta player. Got 18 kills, and the enemy never made it to the first checkpoint.

I've never really gotten the hang of Tracer though. It's a shame, because I love her design (even though her attempt at a cockney accent is atrocious). I'm just not a good enough shot with her.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Feel like I'm kind of having the opposite experience to everyone else. More lost games than won, and it feels like I'm almost always doing things wrong - the enemy always seems to tank my fire and annihilate me to the point it feels like I'm firing nerf darts and they have nukes. Even as mercy I do heals fine, but feels like I'm always in just the right place for the sniper/pharah to take me out.

As for loot boxes, only good thing I've gotten so far is a highlight intro for McCree...

A character I never use.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Windknight said:
Feel like I'm kind of having the opposite experience to everyone else. More lost games than won, and it feels like I'm almost always doing things wrong - the enemy always seems to tank my fire and annihilate me to the point it feels like I'm firing nerf darts and they have nukes. Even as mercy I do heals fine, but feels like I'm always in just the right place for the sniper/pharah to take me out.

As for loot boxes, only good thing I've gotten so far is a highlight intro for McCree...

A character I never use.
Don't worry Windknight, you're not the only going through a tough time in overwatch! :p

Only won a handful of games otherwise it's all been a big losing streak, have had ragers in half my games and yeh, not quite as fun a time as in beta tbh.

Loot crates have been super disappointing. Only emblems and logos, and 1 skin for soldier dude who I never play (if I wanted to play that kind of character i'd just go ahead and play Dirty bomb).
The "best" thing I got was 50 measly credits, cos at least I can buy something I want with that, need 250 to unlock goodies for Pharah asap. Every one of you that got legendaries for characters you like in the first lootboxes, have ALL of my hate and envy xP

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Windknight said:

A character I never use.
You're certainly not alone, I suck a lot more often than I succeed. It's telling that my only Play Of The Game is the Torbjorn play I mentioned in my OP...the guy that lets his turret do most of his work. :p

Still, I'm enjoying the game. But yeah, I haven't figured out how to play very many of the heroes yet.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
Got one or two PoTG with Mei. Been liking her and Lucio. I need to work on tanking though. I'm a godawful tank. Overall I'm liking it a lot.