So, How'd You Do In Overwatch?

Seraj33

Jun 18, 2012
Been sucking massive amounts of dirty ass. But once I got a w i c k e d PotG with Symmetra. I did even less than Bastions do. I just watched as a D.Va, Mercy and 76 walked into my microwave and got zapped by 6 mini sentries. Didn't even need to press M1.

totheendofsin

some asshole made me set this up
Jul 31, 2009
I'm doing fairly well as D. VA, most of my "play of the game moments involve launching my ultimate in the middle of the enemy team and laughing as they blow up

I'm also a competent Mercy assuming my team doesn't run away from me when they're low on health

step1999

Mar 11, 2010
Lightspeaker said:
Nah you can definitely do it with less because I've done it myself once or twice with only three or four kills. But I think they dropped his priority way WAY down.

Then again I've seen some frankly bizarre PotGs. Like...one kill and done, not even an ult shutdown kill. So I dunno what's up with that. I like it not being Bastion 80% of the time though, with each of the other 10%s being taken by Torbjorn's turret and Hanzo's ult respectively. Means you get to see some actually diverse gameplay.

Although I'm still hoping to pull off a D.Va ult into heart-pose emote as a PotG. X-D
Info about POTG's from Overwatch Wiki:

The Play of the Game features various gameplay aspects highlighted at the end of each match.

Moments taken from four categories are compared against each other to find the best Play of the Game for that round of play. The Play of the Game categories available are as follows:

High Score: This category is intended to feature large multikills and quick killstreaks. The larger the multikill, the quicker kill streak, and the closer one is to an objective will all increase a player?s "High Score" score.

Lifesaver: This category is intended to feature situations where one player is able to save another player (or players) from imminent death. For example: If Reinhardt has an enemy pinned, and that enemy's teammate stuns or kills Reinhardt, the teammate would be awarded a large amount of "Lifesaver" score.

Sharpshooter: This category is intended to feature difficult or skillful kills. For this category, the game will be looking at factors like movement speed, the distance at which the attack occurred, whether or not the attack was a headshot, and if the victim of the attack was in the air at the time, etc. Each of these variables will increase a player's "Sharpshooter" score.

Shutdown: This category is intended to feature moments in which one player kills another player (or players) right as they were about to do something particularly impactful. An example of this would be if Widowmaker snipes L?cio in the middle casting Sound Barrier for his team. In this instance, the game will predict how impactful that Sound Barrier would have been and then award Widowmaker player an appropriate "Shutdown" score in return.

The player who has the highest score in any one of these four categories at the end of the match will receive the Play of the Game. If the winning Play of the Game category is Lifesaver, Sharpshooter, or Shutdown then the category name will be called out during the highlight intro. If the winning category is High Score, however, no callout will be provided.

I'm guessing that "random kill" was Sharpshooter or Lifesaver (or maybe everyone else was terrible that game :p). Sorry if you already knew this, but a lot of people I've seen don't know how the POTG's work, ao I thought it might be helpful.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
totheendofsin said:
I'm doing fairly well as D. VA, most of my "play of the game moments involve launching my ultimate in the middle of the enemy team and laughing as they blow up

I'm also a competent Mercy assuming my team doesn't run away from me when they're low on health
All the teams i encounter know o get out of the way of the self destruct so i only get a couple of kills as a rule.

And just had a potentially awesome moment backfire on me as Pharah. Flank the enemy team and was about to unload her ultimate into a target rich environment...

And our Reinhardt walks RIGHT IN FRONT OF me, blocking my view and causing the missiles to blow up right in my face, so the last enemy to hurt me got the kill.

Edit:

step1999 said:
Shutdown: This category is intended to feature moments in which one player kills another player (or players) right as they were about to do something particularly impactful. An example of this would be if Widowmaker snipes L?cio in the middle casting Sound Barrier for his team. In this instance, the game will predict how impactful that Sound Barrier would have been and then award Widowmaker player an appropriate "Shutdown" score in return.
been mulling on this, as the Play Of The Game in the above match was just the player who 'killed' me getting the kill notification, and after that moment we got nowhere near shifting the enemy team from the objective... So I'm now wondering if our Reinhardt didn't just screw up my cool moment, but may have actually cost us the game.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Just as a heads up for anyone that didn't already know this: Bastion in turret mode is completely immune to Reinhardt's ult.

But no, he's not broken at all, he's a perfectly balanced hero. >.>

Mcgeezaks

The biggest boss
Dec 31, 2009
Sweden
Country
Sweden
The amount of shitty players is making this game less and less enjoyable, I might wait for the ranked playlist before I continue playing.

totheendofsin

some asshole made me set this up
Jul 31, 2009
Windknight said:
totheendofsin said:

All the teams i encounter know o get out of the way of the self destruct so i only get a couple of kills as a rule.
Yea, for the most part it's good for clearing turrets and scattering the enemy team, but if I can manage to get the drop on them it's glorious

Sep 14, 2009
RJ 17 said:
Just as a heads up for anyone that didn't already know this: Bastion in turret mode is completely immune to Reinhardt's ult.

There are just too many good things about him, turret mode has next to no letdowns due to the game modes (push payload, defend, etc...) favoring his playstyle of "sit in a nice camping spot with little to no worries".

Jan 27, 2011
RJ 17 said:

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT he's immune to Reinhart's stun ult?!

THATS A GODDAMN BUG. IT HAS TO BE. THATS REDICULOUS.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
gmaverick019 said:
RJ 17 said:

There are just too many good things about him, turret mode has next to no letdowns due to the game modes (push payload, defend, etc...) favoring his playstyle of "sit in a nice camping spot with little to no worries".
I think everyone is fairly balanced except for him. It wouldn't take much to bring him down a couple pegs. They could make him a bit squishier, cap his look speed while in turret mode, make it so he can't reload while in turret mode, or even just make it so he can't spin around 360 degrees, allowing you to sneak up on him and take him out.

Any one of those would do the trick nicely if you ask me.

aegix drakan said:
RJ 17 said:

Don't know if it was a bug or not, but I know I ulted before I died because the Mercy that was right beside the Bastion was knocked on her ass, but the Bastion just kept unloading right in my face. xP

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
gmaverick019 said:
RJ 17 said:

Eh, if you try camping against good enemies, they'll easily snipe you before you can get up to move again. I never stay in the same spot as Bastion for more than 15 seconds. He's extremely easy to kill if you can flank or snipe him, so staying unpredictable is pretty key. Of course, you could always pick Genji and turn Bastion's own bullets upon him and is team (I swear this is the most satisfying thing in the game). It takes about half a second of redirecting his bullets to kill him. Then again, if you're against a bad team that doesn't know how to pick a hard counter, you will absolutely steam roll everyone to the point where it feels unfair.

Moral of the story. If you see that the enemy team has a Bastion, pick Genji. You will kill him every time and probably even make him a liability to his own team if you deflect some of his tank mode shots. For a rather extreme example, see this gif:
https://gfycat.com/SnivelingCloseJabiru

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
RedDeadFred said:
Moral of the story. If you see that the enemy team has a Bastion, pick Genji. You will kill him every time and probably even make him a liability to his own team if you deflect some of his tank mode shots. For a rather extreme example, see this gif:
https://gfycat.com/SnivelingCloseJabiru
I've really gotta get better with Genji, as every time I try to use him to counter a Bastion I get smashed...not necessarily by the Bastion, I just suck as Genji apparently. :p

Summerstorm

Elite Member
Sep 19, 2008
So, i faltered and cracked and bought the damn game (Everyone seems to have so much fun without me, hehe)

Genji's deflect is easy to circumvent: just stop shooting him. (Yes he can kill you with it the first few milliseconds if you are low on health - but still) It's only really great to stop huge called attacks.

So far i am having fun, but somehow i forgot some of the more annoying aspects of the game. It barely ever seems to be a balanced match somehow. One side is usually waltzing through and somehow the fights seem a bit screwy (The killcam shows me things that never happened. Net code - latency weird) And the lack of information drives me a bit crazy.

Overall i would boost the health of all heroes - you just die too fast. Hell even "Tank" Characters cant hold out 2 seconds of sustained fire without abilities. (Yeah yeah, i get it. The point of the game is mostly when and where to use your abilities, not dodging and shooting well)

Characters: I am doing well with:
D.Va (Hate her design... i hope i get the B.Va skin someday, hehe) It's hard to not end a game with a 3:1 K/D Ratio with her.
Farrah (Apperantly Quake 3 never leaves your blood)
Symmetra (The Sentries do my job, i just throw Light-Bolts on Reinhardt and run around scared)

Characters i try but am terrible with:
McCree: Can't hit anything. Eh, at least the stunbomb works well for me.
Reinhardt: Eh... the more i played the worse i got with him.
Zenyatta: started with him as my main (HE IS A ROBOT-MONK, dammit), but i can't do anything with him.
Reaper: Have my moments... but still somehow he isn't THAT scary.

Harlemura

Ace Defective
May 1, 2009
3 days in and I'm still really enjoying it. Favourite hero is Mei by a mile, even though she seems to be rapidly catching up to Bastion in everyone's most hated hero list. So, yeah, sorry. I'm not gonna stop playing her though.
I'm still enjoying the tanks a lot like I did in the beta week, so I've decided to try and git gud with all of them. Got a long way to go before I'm actually a good Roadhog, but I'm borderline useful as Winston now, at least. I'm also enjoying Zenyatta and Symmetra a whole lot, which is surprising because I never really thought much of them before. The latter I'm gonna be playing a whole lot more of because just before writing this I unboxed her Vishkar skin, which is pretty much the only thing I've unboxed that I've actually wanted, but when that first thing is a legendary skin in the colour I want for a character I like, I can't really complain.

Still trash as all the offence heroes though. Not that teams are usually short of that class, but I'd still like to be able to hold my own as a couple of them in case the team does need one. Wanted to learn Genji but I just don't understand how to do well as him, so for now I just use McCree and his dumbass-friendly E + Right Click combo.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
RJ 17 said:
aegix drakan said:
RJ 17 said:

Don't know if it was a bug or not, but I know I ulted before I died because the Mercy that was right beside the Bastion was knocked on her ass, but the Bastion just kept unloading right in my face. xP
I haven't played since the BETA (my FPS buddies are on PS4, and I'm not buying into their double-price BS), but as a near-dedicated Reinhardt in BETA, it very definately would hit Bastion and cancel him out of either of his modes (turret or tank). I can't imagine why they'd have taken that out, since it was probably the best counter to him, that you could stun/knock him back into normal form.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Seth Carter said:
I haven't played since the BETA (my FPS buddies are on PS4, and I'm not buying into their double-price BS), but as a near-dedicated Reinhardt in BETA, it very definately would hit Bastion and cancel him out of either of his modes (turret or tank). I can't imagine why they'd have taken that out, since it was probably the best counter to him, that you could stun/knock him back into normal form.
Interestingly enough, another person was discussing this with me in the comment section to today's Critical Miss comic. I described the situation and they actually went into a custom game to try and recreate the scenario.

From my perspective, I know it looked like I had a dead-on hit, but apparently - from what the other person told me after some testing - it's likely that part of Bastion was obscured behind me and the game didn't register him as being within my line of sight...despite the fact that the cracks from my ult went straight to him.

In the end, it appears that this is a bug (or something) that needs to be fixed, because it's not like I tried to ult him through a pillar or something, at most there was maybe a quarter of his model behind a wall.

Jan 27, 2011
ThereIsNoSanta said:
Overwatch is the best TF2 update ever.
Well, making everyone a superhero, replacing Heavy with a bird-loving machine and giving Soldier's Sister a jetpack was inspired and well received, but hat collectors wept bitter tears. XD

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
I've had a rather stable experience, on launch day I got disconnected 3 times, but nothing since then.

Play-wise I've done pretty well, in the last couple of days I've had 18 PotG's. I mainly play Reaper, but I'll switch if a situation calls for it. I think some of the characters could use a bit of a tweak here and there. Actually just earlier I got a PotG after I pulled my team to victory when we had less than 1 second to defeat. I teleported into the enemy objective just as the counter was reaching zero which put us into overtime and I Death Blossomed every enemy team member that was in there and the rest of my team ran in and we managed to capture the objective. I actually have a video [http://dovahkiin-suleyk.tumblr.com/post/145021354857/so-i-was-doing-pretty-average-this-game-not-too] of it, I recorded it because I was quite proud of it, I'd done pretty average throughout the game but that one play made it all so worth it.

I'm getting a bit sick of being put on teams that don't understand how team composition works. Earlier I had a game on King's Row where 3 of my team went Widowmaker and 1 went Bastion, and we were supposed to be attacking. I just left straight away, not dealing with that shit. I actually really wish that the game locked out a character when someone else went that character. Because it would help create a more balanced team, also because defending teams with 3 Bastion players can fuck right off. I've been quite lucky with loot crates, I've had a few legendary skins, but the one I care most about was Reaper's Plague Doctor skin. I was so happy when I got that. Now I just need Pharah's Raindancer skin.

There's some abilities that could use tweaks to make them more useful, for example. Reaper?s Shadow Step ability is fucking useless. The whole point of it is to be able to ambush other players by getting behind them. The problem is that when you use it, people can see where you?re teleporting to because the point you're going to has a ghostly aura that might as well be a flashing sign that says ?HE?S GOING TO APPEAR HERE, GUYS!?. Not only that but it makes a loud whoosing sound when you appear, so even if someone doesn?t see the mark, they?re going to hear it.

I teleported behind a Bastion to flank him and shoot him in the core and he heard me appear behind him and just spun round and mowed me down before I?d even got out of the teleport animation. So basically if your opponents have a working set of eyes and ears, Shadow Step is fucking pointless. So yeah, if they could remove the sound it makes and aura that shows where you are going, that would be grand. There's other ones like Bastion's turret mode, I saw someone mention in another thread it should be given some spread or recoil and I think that's a great idea. It has far too much range and accuracy for the damage that it deals.