So I found out I'm on my schools "Shooting Watch List"

Kurokami

Feb 23, 2009
WhatIsThisIDontEven said:
So I was called into the office of my high school today to talk to my guidance counselor about college stuff (I'm a senior) and she had all my files and stuff on her desk. There was one folder she never looked at though during the meeting. I asked her about it and she said it wasn't important.

The bell rang and we both got up to leave. I went back to her office once she had left and picked up the folder. It was a report about my "school shooting potential". At my school, apparently, the SSP is based on grades, interests, music choice, and religion. It said this (from what I can recall, I skimmed it)

"Grades: Excellent, excels in science.
Interests: Shows an interest in death and goth culture.
Music Choice: Heavy metal, shows interest in death.
Religion: Atheist, shows lack of empathy.

Comments: Staff are urged to act nicer to NAME to keep him at a stable emotional level."

Which is weird, because I don't have any interest in goth subculture or a death fascination. I do like metal, but so? Also the part about me being an atheist is ridiculous (the school is in a Protestant/Catholic town).

Anyone else think this is a bit weird?
Well it sounds pretty stupid to me, especially the whole "act nicer to this student" BS, but then I suppose it might be nice that they're actually trying to anticipate a shooting if there should be one.
emeraldrafael said:
Though, I guess I would be on that list if we had one, just cause I have the capabilities and discipline to kill just about anyone in most anyway, and have a reputation as being hard to kill.
Jee Weez, mister, you sure are tough!

MASTACHIEFPWN

Will fight you and lose
Mar 27, 2010
I was probably like #2 at my old schools shooting list... :p

But yeah, I hope my current school doesn't keep tabs on students like that...

Kurokami

Feb 23, 2009
Tim Cr810 said:
when it comes right down to it Atheist have as much reason to be empathetic and be a contributing member of society as Christians do, maybe more because they don't have this God Person to clean up their messes
we just have different reasons for it, while Christians do so because if they don't they'll be smited by their god or any passing paladins Atheists do it because they know that natural selection in Primates favors the team players, if you have three men in a village, a man who is a good person and helps out his community, a man who acts like a little kid, and a man who spends his time on the outskirts of the village being antisocial... who gets to pass on his genes to the next generation?

aka who gets laid?

hell that's a reason for Christians to avoid being a good person because apparently God hates in when people have sex
The jackass with a car.

I think as far as natural selection went, it was more so the whole "who would you go hunting with" thing. But yeah, you're right. =]

Firehound

is a trap!
Nov 22, 2010
Tim Cr810 said:
when it comes right down to it Atheist have as much reason to be empathetic and be a contributing member of society as Christians do, maybe more because they don't have this God Person to clean up their messes
we just have different reasons for it, while Christians do so because if they don't they'll be smited by their god or any passing paladins Atheists do it because they know that natural selection in Primates favors the team players, if you have three men in a village, a man who is a good person and helps out his community, a man who acts like a little kid, and a man who spends his time on the outskirts of the village being antisocial... who gets to pass on his genes to the next generation?

aka who gets laid?

hell that's a reason for Christians to avoid being a good person because apparently God hates in when people have sex
Not to mention the whole no heaven thing kinda means you die, it's for keeps. Definately makes you think twice. At least, it would make me think twice.

TheTrojanBadger

Apr 16, 2009
Imperator D said:
AetherWolf said:
What, is your school run by Jack Thompson?

Seriously though, I thought people were done with this generalizing based on the Columbine Shooting years ago.
No. It has only gotten worse. As time goes by and we have more and more instances of people snapping they will only refine it till they start issuing a psych-profile test as part of the standard battery of tests all students take. Answer one way and they put you in a padded classroom, answer another and you're spending the day chained to your chair hoping someone will come to you with a Baby Ruth.
I was given a wide birth after because I wore a trench coat and fedora; but all the teachers knew I wasn't a problem child, and my friends defended me when kids who didn't know me opened their judgmental mouths. I loved defying conventions and challenging prejudices.
Lol is that you, Alex?
(I know a guy named Alex who wears a trench and fedora)

OT:
I don't know if I'm on an official shooter list, but I do remember a time when my mom got a call from the school because on an assignment in which we wrote about the greatest invention of mankind, I wrote about the gun. I must have really freaked out the administrators, not to mention the teacher.

Nukey

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2009
I'd call them out on it, nothing'll change their minds more than you approaching them in a polite fashion and asking them what's with the list and how it's incorrect. If you go about it calmly, they'll understand, might even set that ***** straight.

The_Yeti

Jan 17, 2011
Tim Cr810 said:

aka who gets laid?

what world do you live in, the helpful man gets passed over for those morons most the time, lol.

Isaac The Grape

Apr 27, 2010
That is plain fucked up...

People keeping that kind of data is a little unerving. But using it like that is wrong. Are people that fearful?

Seems so.

The_Yeti

Jan 17, 2011
Isaac The Grape said:
That is plain fucked up...

People keeping that kind of data is a little unerving. But using it like that is wrong. Are people that fearful?

Seems so.
"Protestant/Catholic Town" Fear is all they have, man.

Zaik

Jul 20, 2009
If they had one of those when I was in high school, I'm sure I was on it.

I was wearing a trenchcoat before Columbine, and certainly didn't intend to stop after it happened. I guess it weirded out some people. I made it a whole year after it before someone finally told me to take it off though.

captaincabbage

Apr 8, 2010
Well, that's insanely weird, not to mention deeply insulting I can imagine.

That really gives the he shits about christians/catholics sometimes, thinking themselves higher than other people and able to judge. I think it also extends to people who are older and/or in a place of authority, so a combination of the two can be seriously self righteous.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Aris Khandr said:
When I was in high school, most of the student body and a fair percentage of the faculty actually, truly believed that I was the daughter of the devil. So at least it's not that bad for you, yet.
wait o.0 what?! you?! o.o i can't picture it

>.> though i was kinda of a bastard in school, ran off my second grade teacher, for starters >.>

but back OT::
that's pretty fucked up, you should take that file to the news or at least your parents, they've really got no right to cal you 'a potential killer' cause of your religious and musical preferences, or, time to switch schools

Ih8pkmn

Apr 20, 2010
Wow. Just... wow.

This probably means that a good deal of my friends are on a list like this at my school. Maybe even myself(I'm smart, anti-social, picked on a lot, and agnostic in a VERY Christian town).

In my opinion? Tell your school how ridiculous this file is. Or have your parents tell them.

zenoaugustus

Feb 5, 2009
WhatIsThisIDontEven said:
So I was called into the office of my high school today to talk to my guidance counselor about college stuff (I'm a senior) and she had all my files and stuff on her desk. There was one folder she never looked at though during the meeting. I asked her about it and she said it wasn't important.

The bell rang and we both got up to leave. I went back to her office once she had left and picked up the folder. It was a report about my "school shooting potential". At my school, apparently, the SSP is based on grades, interests, music choice, and religion. It said this (from what I can recall, I skimmed it)

"Grades: Excellent, excels in science.
Interests: Shows an interest in death and goth culture.
Music Choice: Heavy metal, shows interest in death.
Religion: Atheist, shows lack of empathy.

Comments: Staff are urged to act nicer to NAME to keep him at a stable emotional level."

Which is weird, because I don't have any interest in goth subculture or a death fascination. I do like metal, but so? Also the part about me being an atheist is ridiculous (the school is in a Protestant/Catholic town).

Anyone else think this is a bit weird?
Honestly, if I were you, I'd go to your guidance counselor and confront her about it. That's bullshit. The whole concept of that is disgusting. In fact, if you had the intent to do so, you could probably sue your school's board of education over that. Not that I'd recommend doing so, suing isn't the nicest thing in the world.

And how the hell do they know what your interests are or what your music taste is? That's fucking creepy.