So I got my girlfriend gaming, but what can I have her play

Schlen

Feb 11, 2009
She watched me play Bioshock and fallout 3 on the PS3 so she picked up fallout and started playing and enjoyed it, so far so good.

So far I have tried:
Fallout 3 - OK
Soul Calibur 4 - OK
Fallout: New vegas - boring >_<
Tekken 6 - not OK
Assassins Creed brotherhood - not ok
GTA IV - too hard
Bioshock 1-2 - too hard

So what do I get her now? My biggest problem with finding her a suitable game is that she's still having problems with dual thumbsticks so something which could introduce it with some ease would be great.

I'm really out of ideas

Galimor

Jun 16, 2010
Do you have a nintendo 64? If so, get her playing some games on that. (Only one thumbstick ;))

Maybe try TES oblivion?

Shymer

Feb 23, 2011
Is the PS3 the target platform or do you have a PC/XBox/Other as well?

My wife enjoys Popcap games like Plants versus Zombies, Bejeweled, Zuma, also Puzzle Quest, and Blur (of all things). She never got on with FPS games - feels rushed and not in control.

Fanta Grape

Aug 17, 2010
I'll tell you the method of teaching which I plan on teaching my kids.

Start off with older games, move through the terrible nineties, enter 3D territory and then hit modern triple A titles.

But if you don't feel like giving her a year's worth of gaming to try out, just start off with Final Fantasy VII. Everyone loves Final Fantasy VII.
[DO NOT REPLY TO THIS STATEMENT]

If she doesn't like JRPG's, Portal.

If first person games are too confusing, Crash Bandicoot.

If she thinks Crash Bandicoot is too linear or boring, Super Mario 64.

If she wants more character development in her game, Fire Emblem.

Stop giving her such violent stuff...

GaryH

Sep 3, 2008
If that list is in order, I'm noticing a pattern. I'd slow down if I were you, you might be burning her out on games.

Glamorgan

Seer of Light
Aug 16, 2009
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
Get her to try Demon's Souls.
Are you TRYING to break them up?

I'd seriously recommend Portal and Portal 2: they're relatively casual, but great fun, and the second one has co-op.

MasterOfWorlds

Oct 1, 2010
Borderlands is pretty cool and easy to get a hang of, and it's something you could both play together.

I liked Brink, but for someone starting out, it would either be good because they don't have the experience with other shooters as much and not hate the movement system, or bad because it is a little hard.

Dead Nation is good, Little Bog Planet is cool and not super complex, Super Stardust HD is good but a little hard at times.

Other than these, I can recommend Portal 1 and 2. I haven't played the first one, but I did the second co-op with a friend, and I renjoyed it.

Extraintrovert

Jul 28, 2010
Given the previous posts, it is clear that I am accurate in my belief that Portal solves everything.

On Topic: Maybe - just maybe - you should ask her what she likes. What does she find enjoyable about a story or a genre, what (if any) non-video games does she enjoy and why, what did she find appealing about the games she did like, and (more relevantly judging by the list) what she didn't find appealing so you can avoid that. Asking what random people on the internet recommend for someone they don't know isn't quite reasonable.

Shadowfaze

Jul 15, 2009
Try Mass effect 2. Or maybe Dragon Age 2? something with choices. Probably something Bioware.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
If you have a DS, you could try and get her onto Mario and Luigi. Good beginner JRPGs, and it's a pretty huge genre. And then once she beats that, move her onto Earthbound.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
How about Valkyria Chronicles and L.A. Noire?

Both are fairly heavy on story and characterization and don't focus too much on execution challenges (you can skip the L.A. Noire action sequences, they suck anyway). Valkyria Chronicles is especially charming in how completely straight-faced it is along with the brilliant tactical combat. Because it mixes some realtime action with turn-based play, it could serve as a slight introduction to shooters.

I'm thinking they're good ways to get someone hooked. The Portal games should work too.

Or Demon's Souls. Yes. Have her make a mage character. It's not *that* hard and she'll feel like a living god when she kills the False King.

TheStatutoryApe

May 22, 2010
Little Big Planet? I got it as a free download with the Playstation "Welcome Back" promotion, so I figure you probably can too unless you already got different games from it. I've not played it much. Might be kinda boring. WipeOut HD is another one up for free but it gets pretty difficult.

If she liked Fallout 3 she might like Oblivion and Skyrim is coming out soon.

Saint's Row 2 is just awesome and fun with a pretty decent story to go with. The difficulty can be dropped but she may still have issues with the dual joysticks. My friend was having serious issues with driving because of the dual joysticks.

Uncharted 2 is pretty cool and might be a decent way to get used to the dual joysticks if you set it on easy. The action is fairly directed and builds up over time. Not much opportunity to get turned around and lost.

edit: Oh and maybe Heavy Rain. It starts out slow so she might find it boring at first but it can help her get used to the controller and the difficulty can be reduced quite a bit.

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
Shadowfaze said:
Try Mass effect 2. Or maybe Dragon Age 2? something with choices. Probably something Bioware.
I would of said Mass Effect one would be pretty vital to get first, considering how story driven and how well the narrative the games are. And I would definately recommend those 2.

OT: Ratchet and Clank 2 and 3. Fun, easy, and hilarious. And good graphics for PS2 games. They're technically for younger kids, but from what I've picked up here and from my own views they're still thought as great games for all ages.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Portal. Always Portal. I got my physics professor to play it, if he can do it she can.
It's a slow pace and introduces you to the controller. And you can play coop with Portal 2. Also, great game.

KaizokuouHasu

May 19, 2011
Little big planet. Always.

Then when she's ready go on to games like Dead or Alive, Bayonetta, X-Blades and all kinds of games where women are sexy... or objectified. Whichever rolls of the tongue easier.

William MacKay

Oct 26, 2010
GeorgW said:
Portal. Always Portal. I got my physics professor to play it, if he can do it she can.
It's a slow pace and introduces you to the controller. And you can play coop with Portal 2. Also, great game.
i wonder what that says about your professor.
OT: i'll agree with Portal (or Portal 2). Little Big Planet would probably be good, because it has co-op, so its something you two can do together.

Rabish Bini

Jun 11, 2011
Get games that are relatively easy with good co-op modes. Portal 2 is good if she enjoys thinking, Little Big Planet, although I personally don't like it, or bust out Battletoads if you still have a NES :D

universaltraveller

Apr 28, 2011
William MacKay said:
GeorgW said:
i wonder what that says about your professor.
OT: i'll agree with Portal (or Portal 2). Little Big Planet would probably be good, because it has co-op, so its something you two can do together.
I agree with this... Try out both the Portal games, great puzzle-FPS... and Little Big Planet is just awesome...