Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Glamorgan said:
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
Get her to try Demon's Souls.
Are you TRYING to break them up?

I'd seriously recommend Portal and Portal 2: they're relatively casual, but great fun, and the second one has co-op.
Admit it, it would be funny. But yeah I agree with you that Portal and Portal 2 would be good choices.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Fanta Grape said:
But if you don't feel like giving her a year's worth of gaming to try out, just start off with Final Fantasy VII. Everyone loves Final Fantasy VII.
[DO NOT REPLY TO THIS STATEMENT]
I'm replying to this statement because I agree completely. It was my first FF and my first JRPG, and I loved it. Although she might want a walkthrough, some of that shit is confusing. She also might not want Active battles.

halfeclipse

Nov 8, 2008
Stick with games with relatively simple controls, and not requiring too much finesse with the dual analog sticks, and without having to deal with to much manipulation of stuff in 3d space. In short, expect her to have trouble with realistic-esque driving games, platformers, FPS games that don't have a very good aim assist. Portal for example is right out.

As well keep her away from hardcore-esque games. Highly realistic graphics, complex lengthily plots or "deep" characters won't be the main focus of her enjoyment. Instead go with games that focus on the game it's self. Solid level design that's fun to play through, gameplay that focuses on one or two mechanics that are easy to work with and fun to use, an art design that's please to the eye, and for the love of god COLOURS!

Personal Suggestion: Kingdom Hearts. For all of the above reasoning, plus Disney characters.

Fanta Grape said:
But if you don't feel like giving her a year's worth of gaming to try out, just start off with Final Fantasy VII. Everyone loves Final Fantasy VII.
[DO NOT REPLY TO THIS STATEMENT]
I'm replying to this because OH GOD NO. A dense plot filled who's basic motifs that have been done and done again in the current age of nigh militant environmentalism, rather boring characters, the graphics have aged horribly, the entire start of the game is very dull and confined, both in plotting and the look and feel. Then there's the game mechanics, the fights themselves are repetitive, most of the enjoyment there coming from your dealing with a massive amount of information, none of which she'll have any real context for, or experience with.

Any final fantasy game, or for that mater any game that delves to deeply into RPG stats and mechanics, is a Bad Idea.

LongAndShort

I'm pretty good. Yourself?
May 11, 2009
I'd half suggest trying to convince her to stick with Ass Creed brotherhood. My sister is not a huge fan of video games, especially the more hardcore games, but once she figured out the controls she'd spend quite a bit of time running around "cutting bitches."

If you've got an Xbox or PC as well, maybe something like Fable 2 or 3 (a big hit with both my sisters), the Sims, or RTS games. Actually turn-based might be better, easier to ease into. And I'm a fan of Civ.

Most racing games might be good, and I've found them to be good for introducing people to controllers as well.

Dchao

Apr 10, 2011
Ratchet and Clank, side scroller beat 'em ups and little big planet would be a good place to go. Also, be sure you're not forcing her into a hobby she doesn't want to really be part of.

Flip-Shying

Jun 22, 2011
Don't get a game with a continuous story, but rather one that she can pick up and play at any time she feels. Get something like L.A Noire.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
William MacKay said:
GeorgW said:
Portal. Always Portal. I got my physics professor to play it, if he can do it she can.
It's a slow pace and introduces you to the controller. And you can play coop with Portal 2. Also, great game.
i wonder what that says about your professor.
OT: i'll agree with Portal (or Portal 2). Little Big Planet would probably be good, because it has co-op, so its something you two can do together.
He's awesome, that's what it says about him!

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
Red Faction 2. If it's an older PS3 it should be compatible with PS2 games (or so I'm told, never actually verified this) and it's pretty good fun. When I was trying to get a girl into gaming she described it as "Probably the best of all that end of the world shit you like".

Schlen

Feb 11, 2009
GeorgW said:
William MacKay said:
GeorgW said:
Portal. Always Portal. I got my physics professor to play it, if he can do it she can.
It's a slow pace and introduces you to the controller. And you can play coop with Portal 2. Also, great game.
i wonder what that says about your professor.
OT: i'll agree with Portal (or Portal 2). Little Big Planet would probably be good, because it has co-op, so its something you two can do together.
He's awesome, that's what it says about him!

The list was just a sample of what I showed her

@Galimor.
1 is not a problem at all, but 2 seems near impossible atm

@Extraintrovert.
She just gives me the vacant stare as if I was talking to cat and then goes: "Iono" (mumbled I don't know)

@Fanta Grape.
I'm just trying random games based the games she has told me she liked, and all of these games are from my gamestack and I'm not a Nintendogs kind of guy

@Dchao.
I'm not forcing anything I'm just trying to find good suggestions of what to give her when she's tired of Fallout 3 and Soul Calibur 4

So on with the list
Portal 2, funny but hard so she likes to watch me play it but wont play it herself the same with Bioshock I play she watches and then I try to get her to play it but most things she wont even touch
LBP, boring
She absolutely hates everything jrpg-esque and "racing" seems to be too "pointless"

Saint's Row 2 she did enjoy for a few hours but only freeroaming
I tried sowing her Titan Quest after she told me she loved Diablo II but with little result

Fable might be a good suggestion as well as Ratchet & Clank and anything popcap
I think ill try Oblivion too

She's quite tough to please :p and yeah, sorry about the wall

ddrfr33k

Nov 11, 2010
If she likes blur, try Mod Nation Racers and Split/Second. I's also suggest trying out Mortal Kombat. Everyone likes Mortal Kombat... [don't answer this statement]

Schlen

Feb 11, 2009
MaxPowers666 said:
Try red dead redemption as three quarters of that game is just free roaming anyways.

Honestly just start going through your stack of games. Fable and ratchet & clank seem like alright choices. Do you have prince of persia 2008?

If she liked diablo 2 try throwing torchlight at her.
I forgot all about torchlight!

@ddrfr33k Not bad, Ill be sure to suggest some of them ^^

Elysis

Apr 3, 2011
Anything Bioware.

Why? Because she can play a girl (changes everything). Also, Romances.

Or like many other people said, Portal. Or something with Co-op.

intheweeds

Apr 6, 2011
My best answer? Stop asking us. Really!
My g/f got into games despite my trying. The best thing really is once she is a little interested on her own - instead of trying to throw games at her, take her to the local shop and just look around. See what she is interested in and get her that. NO complaining either! if she wants to play something you think is stupid, fake it. Today you think Animal Crossing is the best game evar! You are just happy she is playing anything at all. This is the way to go. Speaking as a woman, trust me.

Edit: She mentioned playing Ocarina of Time as a child and liking it, so i bought her one of the DS Zelda titles and lent her my DSi XL. I haven't seen my DSi in about four months! In fact I'm not sure if i will ever see it again! WIN!(win?)

Banister75

May 28, 2011
I'd recommend some older consoles, they might have some games she'll enjoy.

In modern gaming, I'd recommend the Little Big Planet and Portal series.

C2Ultima

Future sovereign of Oz
Nov 6, 2010
Try Call of Duty. It's as basic an FPS as you can get, if you just think she might wanna get better at those.

Other games to try would definitely be Portal, Portal 2, Left 4 Dead 2, and Halo (Maybe).

Some other good games from other genres are L.A Noire, Mass Effect (1 & 2), and all the basics.