So... I just found out my brother is gay.

Yokai

Oct 31, 2008
Vault101 said:
Yokai said:
Vault101 said:
Yokai said:
Vault101 said:
CM156 said:
When my cousin "Krista" told me they were becoming "Kris" (I understand that Transgendered =/= gay) , I was a bit shocked, and told them I needed a moment.

We have a decent relationship, and I call him the older brother I never had (Which he really likes)
so she had a sex change?

I wasnt even sure that was physically possible..as female to male (if thats what happened)

your right in being Transgendered and gay isnt the same thing, I found it made alot more sense if I imagined them as (in this case...I think) a man but he has a females body
Personally, I don't quite get transgenderism. I'm not even remotely homophobic and I have many gay friends, so I guess it makes me a horrible supporter of double standards, but I just feel sorry for them. I don't understand how someone could be so unhappy with their very genetic makeup that they feel the need to undergo traumatic surgery to change it. Couldn't they just, you know, act more feminine/masculine/whatever, rather than subject themselves to a flawed process that's more likely to alienate them from others? I certainly don't want to condemn anyone's choice, it just makes me sad when I see or hear about people who thought the change was necessary.

As for the OP: Yeah, I'd not have a bit of problem with it. I might be a little surprised if I had previously had them pegged as straight, but I certainly wouldn't react negatively in any way. Basically, good for them for coming out.
assuming your male how would you feel if you woke up one day, and you had breasts and yeah that other part (no more man sword)

ok mabye the first reaction might be AWSOME! I could explore myself ect...and be a lesbian totally hot!!

but that aside that your now expected to act all feminine, and if not then I supose you could go down the butch lesbian route, but would that really be you? in your head your not a woman your a man

I watched the movie Trasnamerica a while ago, and as I said before, I stoped looking at the main charachter as a man dressed as a woman, but instead a women, who had male genitals, which she said she found "disgusting" and repulsive,

I mean she was a woman not a gay man, or a man who dresses up as a woman, but she could never FULLY be a woman...who she was untill she had her body changed

I mean Id imagine they are happy when they are fully changed, and thats whats important
That's basically what I thought too, for a while. I guess I should explain where my perspective comes from.

Three years ago, a family I knew split up when the mother decided she was lesbian after being happily married to a man for twenty years. Immediately after this, their daughter, who had been quite comfortable with her femininity up to this point, suddenly got the idea that she was a man stuck in a woman's body. She went through the hormone treatment and such, but honestly, she still looks and sounds like a girl, yet gets very defensive when people refer to her as such. Now, before this, I would have supported her choice and done whatever I could to help her acclimate, but the fact that it occurred right after a traumatic divorce and sexual confusion among her parents makes me think her sudden transgenderism was the result of psychological stress as opposed to some deep-seated belief.

Essentially, she's been through the expensive and undoubtedly taxing operations and hormone treatments and such, but is still unmistakably female, and is now less happy than she was because everyone still refers to her as such. What I see is that she made a poorly-thought-out decision as a result of trauma, and now has to live with her choices even though the drawbacks outweigh the benefits. That's why I'm not entirely supportive of transgenderism, because it appears to be a mindset that can be brought on by outside influences and the processes involved can permanently alter a person, but not always in the way they intended. With our current medical knowledge it's impossible to completely switch genders, so why put oneself through an essentially cosmetic process with a variable success rate at the risk of one's entire identity? Maybe this girl was the exception to the rule, but it's something to think about.

Sorry about the rambly wall of text; this has been kicking around in my head for a while.
not that I know much about anything but....

I do kind of see youre point, but I thourght that getting a "sex-change" wasnt an ovenight thing ,I mean you have to go to a doctor and I thourght they had to approve all kinds of things

anway my point is in her case it seem strange that that she went down down the route after a traumatic event, after as you say being comfortable with her femininity (but we dont know for sure how comfortable she was int he first place, she could have hidden it..)

but yeah I think she really should have mabye gotten some help first, so mabye it was negligent on the doctors part to go ahead with the whole processes which should NOT be taken lightley

anyway Yeah I guess there is a risk for people to turn out unhappy

however I think some people...they just know, anyway eather way its not somthing to consider lightly

eather way I dont think I would deny somone the choice, and hopefully it would become better in the future medical wise
Yeah, if medical science gets to the point where an actual, complete sex change is viable and doesn't have a bunch of unpleasant side-effects, most of my issues with transgenderism will disappear. And like I said, it's up to the individual to do what they want--I wouldn't shun a person for making the choice. I just hope that it's really what they want.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
The .50 Caliber Cow said:
TimeLord said:
I would never tell my friend or family I was bisexual unless I actualy had a boyfriend first.
Weren't you omnisexual? Or am I just out of it? XP

OT: My family doesn't know about my sexuality. It's better this way. I can tell them when I'm not living with them.
Well yea but i just said bisexual so as not to confuse the thread xD

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
I had this a while back. Some guy I knew back then knew I was gay so he thought I'd be an easy one to tell. My exact reaction?

"Okay. Your place or mine?" After that lame-ass attempt at humour on my part, I made sure to tell him I didn't give a flying fuck. Cause...I don't. And nobody ever should. It shouldn't be a big deal and frankly the entire 'coming out' process is fucking retarded as a concept.

Jaime_Wolf

Jul 17, 2009
No matter how much you trust someone, you always worry that they might be bothered by you being gay. Even if you know they have no problem with queer people, there's always the risk that it might substantially change the relationship.

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
TimeLord said:
TimeLord said:
I would never tell my friend or family I was bisexual unless I actualy had a boyfriend first.

OT: My family doesn't know about my sexuality. It's better this way. I can tell them when I'm not living with them.
Mini thread-derailment:

I don't know why but because of your avatar I find pretty much everything you say hilarious.

CarpathianMuffin

Space. Lance.
Jun 7, 2010
Closest thing that happened to me was when this person I had in my freshman English class, who fit the effeminate gay stereotype to a tee, kept trying desperately to get a girlfriend to dispel the gay rumors. Sophomore year, he came in the first day holding another guy's hand and proclaiming that he was gay.
Personally I think he's just attention whoring, but whatever floats his boat.

BGH122

Jun 11, 2008
GrimTuesday said:
Today I was talking to one of my younger brothers and the topic of relationships came up, and after him mocking my non-existent love life, we started talking about his. He's always been fairly neutral when it comes to sex, so I've never really given much thought about it but when I asked him if he had a girlfriend, he instead told me that he was, in fact gay. Personally, it doesn't bother me so much that he is gay, more that he felt that he needed to keep it a secret, perhaps some of the homosexual users of the Escapist can give me some insight on that.

For discussion, have you ever had an experience like this, how did you react?
One of my friends admitted to me that he had a boyfriend this year. I of course told him he was going to Hell and recited deliberately misinterpreted scripture to back up my point ... kidding.

I don't care where he put his dick and he doesn't care where I put mine. I have no problem with homosexuals as long as they're not flaunting it and making it their defining character trait. I hate that for the exact same reason I hate heterosexuals doing the same: it's gauche and makes one look as though one has no other attributes worth boasting.

Ursus Buckler

Apr 15, 2011
Closest I had was my friend who told me he was gay, followed by the information that his parents and older brother were severely homophobic. He came to me for advice. I told him to tell his parents as it would be better hearing it from him now than finding it out later on their own and they'd have more time to get over it.
He told them and was told to leave their house by his own parents after they said that they'd be considered a laughing stock by all their friends. He then dealt with a two-week period of solid bullying by his own family for being the way he was.

It's all fine now though, but it doesn't half give you chills the way that simple prejudice can really screw up a family... :/

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
ReservoirAngel said:
TimeLord said:
TimeLord said:

Mini thread-derailment:

I don't know why but because of your avatar I find pretty much everything you say hilarious.
Interesting.....

Jugs and beer?

The .50 Caliber Cow

Pokemon GO away
Mar 12, 2011
TimeLord said:
TimeLord said:

TOO LATE!!!

Also is my internet really bad or has your avvy slowed down?

Kraj

Jan 21, 2008
Yeah, there's this guy I know at my favorite coffee shop, we've chilled a lot and worked together lifeguarding, one day it just comes up and I find out he's having boyfriend troubles.
I tried to help him out and hope he's happy. He's a really cool guy.

He still refers to me as the "cute Dominican boy.". . . .I don't have the heart to tell him to stop. I guess it's a complement.

RamirezDoEverything

Jan 31, 2010
Shouldn't change, I have no problem with gay people.

[sub]and the queer eye for the straight guy type of people are always so awesome to be around :D[/sub]

ImperialSunlight

Nov 18, 2009
I'm gay and I find that the whole "coming out" thing is outdated and that in contemporary society where most people are at least tolerant of homosexuality, there is no need to tell anyone. No one tells anyone that they're straight so I haven't told anyone that I'm gay. If anyone asked I'd tell them.

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
A friend of mine came out to me when we were younger, I was a bit shocked, mainly because he'd always been a bit of a ladies man. I just stood there for about 30 seconds, and he got really really defensive, until I told him to shut his gob and give me a few seconds to get accustomed to the new reality, then I called him a poof and hugged him.

We're still fairly close.

I think the problem is when people drop huge news on you, they've worked themselves up into a lather about everything that can go wrong, that if you take a few seconds to answer they assume the worst and make a pre-emptive strike, when all they need to do is hold on for a few seconds to see how others will react. I know a few mates have had their GFs/Wives get really stroppy when they've told the guys about pregnancies, the women have had days/weeks to get use to the idea, the guys need a few moments to adjust, rather then being lambasted for not being on the same page right away.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
TimeLord said:
TimeLord said:

TOO LATE!!!

Also is my internet really bad or has your avvy slowed down?
Must be your internet, it's fine on my end

Timmehexas

Aug 15, 2010
Its different for everyone but the main reason it took me so long to tell my family wasn't because of how they'd react but how it'd change the rest of my life in terms of never having kids, maybe never getting married, so on and so forth (of course some of those things can be changed, adopting, going to a country where I can, etc.) Maybe the reason someone wouldn't want to tell anyone, was because they where still coming to terms with it, not that they thought their family would react negatively.

And trust me on the whole not worrying about the whole family reacting negatively thing, after telling my family I had to sit through about an hours worth of gay jokes and sexual innuendo. After that delightful conversation, I might be scarred for the rest of my life.

winginson

Mar 27, 2011
As long as they are happy and don't share intimate details, I don't care anymore than I do when a straight person gets a guy/girl

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
I wouldn't really care much. I'm not particularly interested in the love-life of my close relatives, thank you very much.

I'm gay myself, if that matters. My friends and family knows it, I never felt the need to "come out", and make a big number of it, because I knew they wouldn't have an issue with it, and frankly, I wouldn't go tell them about my sexual preferences directly if I was straight, either.

I guess some of my cousins and such don't know, if it would come up I'd mention it, but mostly that kind of thing isn't really what we talk about when we meet.