So I just got back from seeing Avengers Assemble

PoliceBox63

Apr 7, 2010
Dear sweet jesus,

Words cannot really do justice to how good it was. And I wasn't in an audience of mix matched people, I was in a private screening filled will Sci-Fi nerds from around the country. It was like being at a convention. There were times when the whole theatre erupted in laughter and even moments of applause which I didn't find annoying like I thought I would.

If I had to describe Avengers Assemble in one word, I would fail. Two words I can manage, however: Exceeded Expectations.
Right from the beginning the audience is thrust into the action and plot. For a two and a half hour-ish film, having to deal with so many characters didn't result in a plot where loads of individual back-stories and sub-plots are squashed into one film . Each character was given his/her due attention <spoiler=Spoiler but not about details>except maybe Hawkeye, they didn't really go too much into his character and when together the team gelled together excellently. I had gone into the theatre still thinking Black Widow was just a filler character. Nothing to really bring to the film <spoiler=Spoiler on details>I wasn't really proved wrong but she played a good role in the film but you need make up your own mind about it. The film is filled from top to bottom with moments that will make you cream yourself. From comic references to plain-old brilliant writing. Joss, I'm sorry for doubting you. You really did a fantastic job with this.

To be honest, I'm not sure about the goal that this thread has. I can't really start a good discussion about the movie until everyone has seen it and posting loads of spoiler boxes will just ruin it for you. So wherever you are living and whatever release date your country has, book the first showing! Book it now!

For any Irish readers, thanks go out to the UCC Sci-Fi Society for organising this private screening. And while I'm at it, a little shameless plug to <url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/The-Escapist-League-of-Heroes>The Escapist League of Heroes Group: The Avenger Mansion / Watchtower of the Escapist.

Dec 14, 2009
Just one question.

Does Captain America shout Avengers! Assemble! while everyone strikes a pose and this plays in the background?

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
One of my friends has a teaching internship in Korea and she already saw it, and she said it definitely lives up to the hype they've been creating for it

Folji

Jul 21, 2010
Gonna watch it tomorrow, in 3D, with nearly a dozen friends. Gonna be awesome!

DasDestroyer

Apr 3, 2010
As much as I want to, it doesn't seem like I'll have an opportunity to watch it in a movie theater :(
Looks like it's waiting for DVD/B-Ray for me...

CAPTCHA: same same(I see what you did there)

Verzin

Jan 23, 2012
I can't wait to see this movie! I'm glad to hear that Joss did his usual excellent job on it.

now I just need to wait for Dr. Horrible sequel to come out.

theodosian

Beard of Legend
Feb 8, 2010
Currently teaching and living in Korea. Just saw it a little over an hour ago. If you aren't happy with, well, that's your opinion but I worry, if your a fan of these sorts of things, if you'll ever truly find happiness. Seriously, this movie made an otherwise normal week fantastic. The only thing that could have made this movie better is if it had made me a sandwich after.

GodofDisaster

Premium member
Sep 10, 2009
I'm heading to the cinema tonight to see it. If it's as good as every one says them I'm looking forward to it.

Edit: I've just got back from seeing it and wow it was worth the money. I especially loved when
Hulk slams Loki around mid-speech like a rag doll, leaving him with a whimper and a what the fuck just happened look on his face.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I could of had watched this today but sadly my colleage from work got ill so I had to cover her shift (curse her weak immunity). I watching it on Saturday instead but by doing so I'm losing some hours on the Guild Wars 2 Beta (which I really want to play that non stop).
Oh well I can't have stuff going my way all the time.

gibboss28

Feb 2, 2008
Yeah, exceeded expectations is quite right.

The reveal at the end made my day though. As well as everything else that happened before it.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Okay, so The Avengers starts playing in the US on May 4, and it seems everyone else has already saw it...

...god dammit...

Cpt Corallis

Apr 14, 2009
I just saw it. I couldn't have imagined anything better. I didn't stop grinning like a clown except for
The death of Phil Coulson :'(
and it did everything I wanted it to brilliantly!

The after credits reveal was magnificent and the writing was superb, the dialogue coming off as perfectly "comic" and yet still realistic enough to take seriously.

It was completely worth all of the effort and time consumed. Bravo Marvel and Joss Whedon. Bravo.

EDIT: Also, That long panning shot in
New York where every team member is fighting and the camera follows the action in one sweeping motion
That was one of the best things I've seen in cinema in a very long time.

Lizardon

Robot in Disguise
Mar 22, 2010
I saw it on a midnight screening here in Australia on the 25th.

Yeah it was pretty fantastic. I won't go into detail as I would end up writing pages about what I enjoyed about it.

Although for some reason people starting leaving the cinema as the credits started to role. My friends and I felt like jumping up and shouting "HAVEN'T YOU FIGURED OUT THE PATTERN YET!"[footnote]Yes there was an after credits scene[/footnote]

Daystar Clarion said:
Just one question.

Does Captain America shout Avengers! Assemble! while everyone strikes a pose and this plays in the background?

Okay, I'll break it to you gently.

No.

And actually, now that I think about it, I'm not sure if anyone actually says "Avengers Assemble" throughout the movie. I hope I'm just forgetting the moment because that would be a terrible crime.

Preacher zer0

Jun 13, 2010
Just saw it about 4 hours ago... still grinning.

Superb, epic, sweeping.

The after credits reveal will make Marvel fans poop their pants.

Everyone was great in their roles, put in 100%, even CG Hulk was awesome and it was cool to see Black Widow get some pretty decent development both script-wise and acting from Scar-Jo.

The final act set in NYC with the full team doing their thing is the most incredible thing I've witnessed in 3d cinema ever.

You hear me?

EVER!

Amazing filming, direction, really using the 3d not just to make things pop but to make sweeping epic single shot pans of the action going on with all the team across the city that will blow you away.

Do yourself a favour and see this in 3d even if (like me) you normally don't give a crap about 3d, Joss Wheadon does things with it I've never seen before.

Solstrana91

Sep 4, 2004
Watched it several hours ago.
Absolutely loved it.
Not going to post any more about it for maybe a fortnight, give UK folks and our Yank friends a chance to see it, then get into some awesome discussion.

And once again, I had to clean myself up after the after-credits clip.

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
Watched it this afternoon- it's everything I'd hoped it would be and more XD

Also, I'm sure my priorities are all wrong but DAMN there is a lot of sex appeal in this movie ;)

jebbo

Jul 17, 2009
I'm just back from a late showing and I can safely this is everything I'd hoped this could be. All the characters get their fair share of screen time so it doesn't end up as the "Iron Man and friends" I've heard people worry about.

The beauty of having the 4 films before and the credits reveals in Thor and Captain America means there's no need to fill up the film with back story and too much plot set up. We know Loki's the bad guy, we know he wants the Cosmic Cube and we know he wants to unleash an army of alien death on Earth before we even go in.

This juts let the film bring together the team so we can watch their egos bounce off each other for a good while. There's plenty of action before the (incredible) final act as well so you're not getting bored waiting for some punch ups for an hour or so in the middle. Plus Joss Whedon's touch clearly shines in the dialogue to make some brilliant exchanges - enough gravitas at key times to be serious with witty banter and comedy to alleviate tension at all the right moments.

Too many great moments to get into but Hulk stole the show on a few occasions

Tossing Loki around like a rag doll and leaving him battered - had half the theatre in hysterics!!!

The only thing I didn't get was the post credits reveal, suppose me and my mate aren't big enough Marvel fans to know...

Some kind of purple alien warlord king? Smiling at the prospect of fighting humanity as being as difficult as taking on death itself. Awesome line, bad ass looking dude. No idea who he was.

... anyone care to enlighten me?

EDIT

If you want to know:
It's Thanos. I had no idea who that was so after a quick wiki all I can say is WOW that's gonna be tough to pull off