So I just got back from seeing Avengers Assemble

idodo35

Jun 3, 2010
BishopofAges said:
I do want to see this movie, I am glad people actually are saying good stuff about it. My favorite bits are character interactions.

Just to be immature for abit, in the the 'popular forum posts' section, it looks like this thread topic is "So I just got back from seeing Avengers Ass"
(last post in a row i promise!)

i wouldnt mind going to see avengers ass

also i put 15$ on ultron to be the villian for Avengers 2...

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Eh, whatever.

Yeah, you've got lots of money spent on CGI and all, which is nice, but otherwise nothing much.

The end fight scene went on forever, and involved them fighting the same identical monsters over and over.

I also felt the "jokes" really grated. Maybe they were the sort of thing that were funny once, but Whedon uses the same sort of stuff throughout all his work and they get old.

Folji

Jul 21, 2010
Even though
That moment when Iron Man suddenly realised "shit, it's back at my tower" while they were trying to track down the cube just rang of "we wrote ourselves into a corner".
I thought it was an awesome movie. Had nearly everything I would have expected from a comic adaptation without being too much of a comic book experience, pretty decent comedy moments throughout, no lack of focus on any charaters or their stories, no "well this wrapped up in no time whatsoever" feeling... there should be more superhero movies like The Avengers.

Sam Warrior

Feb 13, 2010
Saw it yesterday possibly the best film I've ever seen actually want to go see it in cinema again which has never happened to me before. If you haven't seen this film yet you really need to.

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
Honestly, I don't think they could have made it any better.

For a challenging mash-up of superheroes it could have gotten out of hand very easily but this movie did it brilliantly with some action scenes that have never been done before.

Yo dawg I heard you have a flying aircraft carrier! So I built a massive flying aircraft carrier to carry your flying aircraft carriers!

JWRosser

Jul 4, 2006
I thought the film was incredible - definitely one of the best super hero films. It was near flawless, and did great justice to source material. I thought that all of the actors were great in their roles - Robert Downey Jr. IS Tony Stark...brilliantly narcissistic, Chris Evans is brilliant as a self-righteous Cap, Jeremy Renner is just cool as Hawkeye, Chris Hemsworth is a great Thor - a hard part to play, I imagine, Scarlet Johanson is hot, and Mark Ruffalo is a good Bruce Banner...though I'm not yet sure if I prefer him or Edward Norton.

Anyway, film is a must see. Saw it on Thursday (finally UK gets an early viewing) but definitely want to see it again.

Also,
I thought that the guy at the end was Red Skull at first, but after reading up I think it's definitely Thanos now.

johnnnny guitar

Jul 16, 2010
Yeah it's so shit I was going to watch it but I went and the cinema guy was like oh that will be $30 now I love the marvel films but that was just to much of a fucking rip off so I'll see it at my local cinema in 2 days for $13

Mr Somewhere

Mar 9, 2011
Yeah, it's pretty good, for what it is. The opening scenes are awkward, and the final quarter of the film is somewhat lacklustre. Those Alien dudes completely lacked any personality, there weren't particularly threantening as such. If you're a fan of these films I imagine you'll have a great time, and it was good. It's just not my cup of tea.
It's a good entertaining time and just what fans were hoping for. Just don't expect to see it turning up on any "greatest films of all time" lists.

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
idodo35 said:
ShadowsofHope said:
WanderingFool said:
Okay, so The Avengers starts playing in the US on May 4, and it seems everyone else has already saw it...

...god dammit...
Dude, I am right there with you. *man-hug*

Where the hell do you all live!?

..This anticipation after reading these comments is damned killing me!!

D:
what are you bitching about?! we have to wait till fucking may 10th!!!
its a full week of torment and spoiler avoiding! god this is going to be a bloody nightmare!
O rly?

Well then, I have only this to say.. HAHA someone has it worse off than me! HAHA!

I feel ever so slighty better now about this, thank you. ;)

idodo35

Jun 3, 2010
ShadowsofHope said:
idodo35 said:
ShadowsofHope said:
WanderingFool said:
Okay, so The Avengers starts playing in the US on May 4, and it seems everyone else has already saw it...

...god dammit...
Dude, I am right there with you. *man-hug*

Where the hell do you all live!?

..This anticipation after reading these comments is damned killing me!!

D:
what are you bitching about?! we have to wait till fucking may 10th!!!
its a full week of torment and spoiler avoiding! god this is going to be a bloody nightmare!
O rly?

Well then, I have only this to say.. HAHA someone has it worse off than me! HAHA!

I feel ever so slighty better now about this, thank you. ;)
up yours... sorry just being bitter...

someonehairy-ish

Mar 15, 2009
Saw it yesterday with two friends of mine. We all thought it was fucking awesome. The dialogue and acting is great- the whole audience was holding their breath in some places, laughing out loud in others. My friend was in hysterics for a couple of minutes after a bit of off hand dialogue.
The action was intense and palpable and streamlined. You'd think a scene where five heroes are battling monsters across a whole city would get confusing or feel jerky, but the shots are so well composed that it all just flows beautifully.
The effects are awesome. The pacing is awesome. There were no plot holes that I noticed.

Even hawkeye, who's really the character that most people were probably least interested in prior to going into the cinema, had a few incredibly badass moments.

There was some nice subtle stuff going on too. Eg,
when hawkeye is mind controlled by the Big Bad he moves in the same hunched, jerky gait as the monster army the Big bad gets hold of later on in the film.
<- although I might have imagined it.

Overall, I'd give this a 9/10. It's the best Avengers film so far. If they'd been able to make the combat a little more brutal feeling it might have been a 10, but obviously it's not an 18 so you can't see people's skulls smashing.
They could have made Scarlett Johanson's uniform slightly more... minimalist, too. She's purdy.

All of this said, I'm a bit of a Whedon fanboy. People who don't like his style might not love the writing as much as I did.

Like this guy:
thaluikhain said:
I also felt the "jokes" really grated. Maybe they were the sort of thing that were funny once, but Whedon uses the same sort of stuff throughout all his work and they get old.
The whole audience was laughing at the right moments when I saw it. I think you're probably being a sourpuss...

FamoFunk

Dad, I'm in space.
Mar 10, 2010
Saw it Thursday, was amazing!

In fact, I'm off to see it again next Thursday.

jkvoller

Dec 18, 2009
Saw it yesterday. One of the best films i've seen in a long time. However if I was going to give it criticism, it would be that hulk didn't get enough lines even though he stole the show and that Scarlett Johanson seemed somewhat average compared to the others.

{Phil Coulson dies in almost the same way that Wash dies, but delivered one of the best lines}

{would have prefered if Banner was swallowed by the huge flying fish, then smashed his way out of it as the Hulk}

{when Loki was trying to control Stark and he kept tapping the arc reactor and had no idea what was going on, one of the funniest moments of the film}

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Went to see it Thursday on opening night. Best cinema experience I've had in years - this movie got everything right.

Thespian

Sep 11, 2010
PoliceBox63 said:
For any Irish readers, thanks go out to the UCC Sci-Fi Society for organising this private screening. And while I'm at it, a little shameless plug to <url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/The-Escapist-League-of-Heroes>The Escapist League of Heroes Group: The Avenger Mansion / Watchtower of the Escapist.
I SO WANTED TO GO TO THAT =[

Oh well. At least we get it sooner than America :)D

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
Just one question.

Does Captain America shout Avengers! Assemble! while everyone strikes a pose and this plays in the background?

He doesn't, but he does give the other Avengers orders on what to do, ending with Hulk, where with others he gave sentences, he gave the green giant one word...Smash, And Hulks face is priceless :')

My favourite moment

Epic fight scene with Thor and Hulk on a giant floatin...erm...Worm. They manage to kill it and everything on it, they walk off into central station (where the worm crashed) and Hulk full force punches Thor, and he fly's off screen...The whole cinema erupted into laughter :')

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Mr Somewhere said:
Yeah, it's pretty good, for what it is. The opening scenes are awkward, and the final quarter of the film is somewhat lacklustre. Those Alien dudes completely lacked any personality, there weren't particularly threantening as such. If you're a fan of these films I imagine you'll have a great time, and it was good. It's just not my cup of tea.
It's a good entertaining time and just what fans were hoping for. Just don't expect to see it turning up on any "greatest films of all time" lists.
Funny how you can tell the difference between the "fans" and the "people who thought it might be entertaining for an afternoon". The "fans" are filling this very thread with "AMG IT'S THE BEST. MOVIE. EVAR!!!!" while the one or two people who just decided to see it are saying "It was pretty decent, for a comic book movie."

Anyway, I haven't seen it yet and I likely won't unless my friend who is practically obsessed with this film drags me out when it comes out next week. Never been a huge fan of comic books even though I've always loved the superheroes, and I don't buy "Oh, well, Loki's evilness was explained if you saw Thor!" as a valid excuse for skipping out on some plot explanation. Sure, the vast majority of the target audience for this film are people who saw all of the other Marvel films, but that doesn't mean other people aren't going to see it at all. They won't know what the hell is going on.

Either way, to be a bit vulgar, I'm looking forward to seeing how long into Moviebob's review next week it will take for him to blow his load of fanboy glee all over this movie.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
shrekfan246 said:
Mr Somewhere said:
Funny how you can tell the difference between the "fans" and the "people who thought it might be entertaining for an afternoon". The "fans" are filling this very thread with "AMG IT'S THE BEST. MOVIE. EVAR!!!!" while the one or two people who just decided to see it are saying "It was pretty decent, for a comic book movie."

Anyway, I haven't seen it yet and I likely won't unless my friend who is practically obsessed with this film drags me out when it comes out next week. Never been a huge fan of comic books even though I've always loved the superheroes, and I don't buy "Oh, well, Loki's evilness was explained if you saw Thor!" as a valid excuse for skipping out on some plot explanation. Sure, the vast majority of the target audience for this film are people who saw all of the other Marvel films, but that doesn't mean other people aren't going to see it at all. They won't know what the hell is going on.

Either way, to be a bit vulgar, I'm looking forward to seeing how long into Moviebob's review next week it will take for him to blow his load of fanboy glee all over this movie.
Urm, It kinda is explained as to why Loki is the evil guy in Avengers, it doesn't matter if you haven't seen Iron Man, Or Thor, or even Captain America, it's all touched upon (even if it is brief) as to why them guys are there and why Loki is evil.

Don't presume, until you have seen it dude.