So I just installed Steam once again.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
WeepingAngels said:
BoredRolePlayer said:
WeepingAngels said:
Well, that's not really a public quote. It's a private message and I don't think it has legal backing. Do you really think they would be able to remove the DRM from third party games without legal consequences?
Games for Windows Live is being removed from games on steam, and if crackers can remove DRM by modding the executable file I don't see why the creators themselves can't.
We aren't talking about the creators are we? We are talking about Steam, the distribution service, going down. Valve can't remove the DRM from third party games.
They can patch their program to no longer need to ping their server to authorise the games use. They can't touch other DRM but they can fix theirs.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
CrossLOPER said:
TehCookie said:
1. Did you even read the thread? I have more than once platform and go for the best deal. It's on the first page!
2. If you crack it which is questionably legal, but if I'm going to do something illegal anyways why would I pay them money? Unless there's some other way you know I don't.
3. Humble Bundles also have them DRM free as well as the Steam keys. Unless it's from crappy publishers, but I haven't seen many forced DRM games on there.

Though I have an unrelated question? Why are Steam fanboys so rabid? It's always like how dare someone not enjoy what they like.
1. You are evading the question.
2. C:\ -> Program Files (x86) -> Steam -> steamapps -> common. Games that were not specifically designed to use steamworks are almost guaranteed to work fine outside of steam client. No cracks. Just click the executable.
3. I don't even know what you are arguing here. I'll take it that you are conceding this point.

I don't consider myself rabid, but I do think you are not comfortable with steam and computers in general for whatever reason and show little inclination to rectify this.

Dr.Awkward said:
I think TehCookie and some other users here have highlighted a critical flaw here in Steam: It's not user-friendly for non-technical people.
I think it's laziness and impatience, but that is my default assumption. :)
1. You're asking me the wrong question then.
2. Tried it and failed, it still launches steam and if it can't connect I can't play the game.
3. Humble bundle =/= steam.

Also how am I lazy with Steam? I am impatient, I want to play games on my schedule not Steam graciously allows me because it's in the mood. I don't have time to wait for my internet to come back because I don't know if it's going to be 5 minutes or 5 hours. Or if I patch broken games to get them to work I don't want to do it every time I play it because Steam doesn't like what I did. I want to fiddle with it and when it works leave it that way so it works next time I want to play. I like oldschool gaming where I only needed one copy of a game for me and all my friends to play it and mods/patches were always the same as how I left them, nothing interfered.

Patathatapon

Jul 30, 2011
TehCookie said:
I got DMC4 last christmas and it didn't work. I still use the games that actually work on it, but I refuse to buy anything more. Steam isn't as cheap as everyone seems to think, I can get games just as cheap used. Used games also have the physical game.
A potential way to sole your first problem would be trying to run it in "Compatibility mode" for windows 7 users (I was unable to play several games until I did that, including non-steam games). For your other issues, I got no solutions.

Patathatapon

Jul 30, 2011
I've seen a lot of people bitching about DRM. Wait, what?

[Taking out the fact that if you break steams rules (That you agreed to mind), they have the permission to completely terminate your account with no refunds what-so-ever]

During one weekend my internet went down. So? I just played the games I had, like Fez, Serious Sam, Thief, or whatever. Things that don't use the internet. Being unable to play TF2 was annoying, but that's strictly a multi-player game. There's a thing called offline mode guys! Look it up! so with that problem out of the way:

I never buy games at full price. even if it's only 5% off, i'm not buying it at full price. I either buy used, or when it's on sale. On Steam, things are on sale all the time, allowing you to support devolopers, and get it for fairly cheap. I never understood the appeal to Pirating games, and bitching about it when your CPU has viruses. The negatives outweigh the positives when it comes to pirating 100% of the time for me. The biggest one being my "conscience". My inability to take a game without paying even some homeless guy for it.

Mycroft Holmes

Sep 26, 2011
bjj hero said:
People really buy those? I'll have to sell mine. Ill look into it.
Yeah rofl. There's like a graph of the average sale price that you can access. Just look at that and set it to like 1 or 2 cents below and it will sell in under like 30 seconds. And if you get like a silver lined card or something people will buy it for like 5 or 6 dollars. It's idiotic. And I love it.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
RicoADF said:
WeepingAngels said:
BoredRolePlayer said:
WeepingAngels said:
Well, that's not really a public quote. It's a private message and I don't think it has legal backing. Do you really think they would be able to remove the DRM from third party games without legal consequences?
Games for Windows Live is being removed from games on steam, and if crackers can remove DRM by modding the executable file I don't see why the creators themselves can't.
We aren't talking about the creators are we? We are talking about Steam, the distribution service, going down. Valve can't remove the DRM from third party games.
They can patch their program to no longer need to ping their server to authorise the games use. They can't touch other DRM but they can fix theirs.
If an EA game has only Steam DRM and Valve removes that, then they would be releasing an unprotected game to the internet. You think EA (or any third party) would allow that?

Lord Doomhammer

Apr 29, 2008
Country
United States
I've been on board with steam since 2008 when my xbox first refused to talk to my router and I couldn't get on xbox LIVE. Since then the xbox and router are on speaking terms but steam never left my computer.

It started out slow, gathering a small part of my first computer's 200GB HDD and now I have a full 500GB HDD dedicated to steam and it's games. It's not so much like a love hate thing... more like me and legos, where I get some and they never leave and now I can't use my closet for all the fucking legos...

It bugged me at first that I had to have it on all the time, but now it's just sort of part of my routine... it comes on when the system boots and just sort of sits there for me to browse through when I get bored never taking up any noticeable amount of ram or processor speed.

It's been a good ride and I wouldn't change it to origin for all the legos in the world.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
CrossLOPER said:
TehCookie said:
1. You're asking me the wrong question then.
2. Tried it and failed, it still launches steam and if it can't connect I can't play the game.
3. Humble bundle =/= steam.

Also how am I lazy with Steam? I am impatient, I want to play games on my schedule not Steam graciously allows me because it's in the mood. I don't have time to wait for my internet to come back because I don't know if it's going to be 5 minutes or 5 hours. Or if I patch broken games to get them to work I don't want to do it every time I play it because Steam doesn't like what I did. I want to fiddle with it and when it works leave it that way so it works next time I want to play. I like oldschool gaming where I only needed one copy of a game for me and all my friends to play it and mods/patches were always the same as how I left them, nothing interfered.
1. You brought it up.
2. What game did you try?
3. What's your point? Most newish AAA games on the PC are not obtainable on anything other than Steam. Their availability on Steam allows them to be distributed through several vendors for cheap.

So it's your shitty internet connection that's the problem. Get a better connection. Can't? That is not the fault of Valve Corp.

I don't know what your issue with the modding is. Steam is very mod friendly, as any Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Mount & Blade, etc... player will tell you. If you have a specific issue, then I am sure that someone on the community forums probably ran into it at some point. Naming the actual specific issue might help.
1. I said used games, not used PC games and you didn't accept that as an answer. I don't know what else I can say about that.
2. Skyrim, DMC, Bloodlines, L4D, Portal, Mirrors Edge. None worked without the starting client.
3. So humble bundle sells new AAA games? [font color=e6e7e8]Okay I'm trolling with that answer, but I'm missing you're point as well.[/font]

Yes it's party my shitty internet, and to get a better one would involve moving. However all my non-steam games (both PC and console) work, so why wouldn't I blame Steam when it is solely their corporation getting in the way?

Steam updating games when I told it not to is the main one that breaks mods or uninstalling patches for VtmB when I finally got it working. Or even the first issue I mentioned where DMC4 crashes on startup. Or it not allowing me to play games offline and offline mode only works when I set it when I'm online. I've also had it kick me out of Skyrim because my connection dropped for 5 mins.

Oh and speaking of dodging questions you didn't answer mine of why are steam fanboys so rabid?

DeimosMasque

I'm just a Smeg Head
Jun 30, 2010
I first installed Steam when Civilization 5 came out. I have an autographed copy of Civ 3 and Civ 4 so me getting Civ 5 was no surprise.

Since I got it, it's only improved. Now I have nearly 90 games thanks to sales and Humble Bundle. And because of Steam I've played a lot of games I never would have played before. Bully, Mark of the Ninja, Organ Trail, Knights of Pen and Paper +1, Cart Life, 7 Grand Steps, Democracy 3, Home (one of my favorite games ever) and Warlock - Master of the Arcane (Master of Magic spiritual successor where have you been?)

I will admit that I have a good internet connection, but last time it went off: I could still play all my games (except for Star Trek Online which is an MMO.)

I hear about all these problems people have with Steam, and I've never had any of them. The only problem I've had with Steam is that it occasionally forgets my browser of my main computer.

TallanKhan

Aug 13, 2009
Windcaler said:
I dont care for steam just on the basis that it, like many Digital distribution services, is just glorified DRM and no I dont feel like sales are good enough to accept it. However the issue that I have the biggest problem with is many games can only be legally bought on steam. I want to reward developers for making great games but I dislike giving a cut to steam because its the only place where I can purchase the game. For me its a morale hang up. I want to reward developers that make great games, to let them pay their bills, eat a good meal, and make more games. However when its only on steam I also have to essentially reward one of the greatest banes to PC gaming we still have: DRM

So I purchase from Steam, and DD services like steam, as little as possible
I feel largely the same way. Steam has pretty much killed PC gaming for me, I had it installed for a while but I can't stand DRM and by using Steam I am sanctioning a practice that I believe to be fundamentally imorral, so I stopped. Fortunatley most games are multi-platform these days but a few, like Rome 2, have really tested my resolve.