So.... Korrasami is canon.

Ironbat92

Nov 19, 2009
Well, those hoping for one of the first lesbian couples in animation got your wish. The co-creator Bryan Konietzko, on tumbler, (http://bryankonietzko.tumblr.com/) confirmed that Korrasami is in fact canon. So, what your though's Escapist?

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
ShadowRatchet92 said:
Well, those hoping for one of the first lesbian couples in animation got your wish.
Clearly you do not watch hentai.

Don't really have anything else to say about it.

Saetha

Jan 19, 2014
My first thought is "Well duh. Did you see the finale? Of course it's canon. I've only seen gifsets of the finale, and I could tell you that shit's canon."

My second thought is pretty much that he's an unrepentant asshole. I mean, I'm fine with most of the article, but then it got to the part where it talks about those who criticized making Korrasami canon - and my asshole meter shot into the red. Seriously? "If you think we mishandled the relationship build-up, you're probably a homophobe with a hetero-normative lens." Wow, that's real nice, blame the audience and imply they're bigots because they disagree with your writing choices. Of course, given how they screwed the pooch with relationship writing in the first two seasons, maybe he really doesn't that the way he wrote Korra and Asami (Or Korra and Mako) could have been flawed. As I understand it, Bryke thought they wrote the relationships perfectly back then, and were genuinely surprised at the blow-back the romance got.

Meh, whatever. I dropped Korra after season two, so I genuinely don't care what happened or who ended up with who, and this actual news itself means nothing to me. Just noting that Bryan sounded really snotty and thin-skinned for a moment there. If the first two seasons of Korra taught me anything, it's that Airbender was a team-effort and Bryke either haven't got much talent on their own, or severely depend their editors to throw out their bad ideas. Either way, whatever these two produce in the future, I haven't got high hopes for it. Especially if that's how they respond to criticism. (And also seriously? "The characters told us where they wanted to go?" No, that's not how you write. Good writing needs planning. I feel like this attitude explains so many of LoK's flaws.)

Atleast Korra's over. If I have any luck, the next big thing will actually be worth my time. This show certainly wasn't.

EDIT: Why didn't you add di Martino's post instead, he's far less of a jackass about it.

http://michaeldantedimartino.tumblr.com/post/105916326500/korrasami-confirmed-now-that-korra-and-asamis

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
i figured unless they said otherwise it was canon so doesn't change anything for me

Gailim

Oct 13, 2009
Saetha said:
My first thought is "Well duh. Did you see the finale? Of course it's canon. I've only seen gifsets of the finale, and I could tell you that shit's canon."

My second thought is pretty much that he's an unrepentant asshole. I mean, I'm fine with most of the article, but then it got to the part where it talks about those who criticized making Korrasami canon - and my asshole meter shot into the red. Seriously? "If you think we mishandled the relationship build-up, you're probably a homophobe with a hetero-normative lens." Wow, that's real nice, blame the audience and imply they're bigots because they disagree with your writing choices. Of course, given how they screwed the pooch with relationship writing in the first two seasons, maybe he really doesn't that the way he wrote Korra and Asami (Or Korra and Mako) could have been flawed. As I understand it, Bryke thought they wrote the relationships perfectly back then, and were genuinely surprised at the blow-back the romance got.

Meh, whatever. I dropped Korra after season two, so I genuinely don't care what happened or who ended up with who, and this actual news itself means nothing to me. Just noting that Bryan sounded really snotty and thin-skinned for a moment there. If the first two seasons of Korra taught me anything, it's that Airbender was a team-effort and Bryke either haven't got much talent on their own, or severely depend their editors to throw out their bad ideas. Either way, whatever these two produce in the future, I haven't got high hopes for it. Especially if that's how they respond to criticism. (And also seriously? "The characters told us where they wanted to go?" No, that's not how you write. Good writing needs planning. I feel like this attitude explains so many of LoK's flaws.)

Atleast Korra's over. If I have any luck, the next big thing will actually be worth my time. This show certainly wasn't.

EDIT: Why didn't you add di Martino's post instead, he's far less of a jackass about it.

http://michaeldantedimartino.tumblr.com/post/105916326500/korrasami-confirmed-now-that-korra-and-asamis
Seasons 3 and 4 were fantastic.

you skipped out just when it got good

Saetha

Jan 19, 2014
Gailim said:
Saetha said:
Seasons 3 and 4 were fantastic.

you skipped out just when it got good
I don't care if seasons 3 and 4 were the cartoon version of crack cocaine, one shouldn't have to slog through the first two seasons to get to them. And maybe it's because the only Korra fan I keep up with was a huge Makorra shipper, but as I understand it, the series finale had several large issues that people are glossing over because of the Korrasami ending.

But again, the quality of the last two seasons is irrelevant to me. I don't make excuses for bad writing, and those first two seasons were bad writing. "It gets better" doesn't save it. If Bryke take thirty plus episodes to hit anything near a stride, then they're poor writers.

Sorry if I come off as rude or elitist or whatever but... Christ, Korra was such a massive disappointment for me. From day one, it all felt so... hollow. The characters didn't really grab me, the plot was pushed aside for romance, everything was just... ugh. The only good things to come out of LoK for me were Amon (Who was just kinda exposed for a hypocrite and then killed, and the issues he brought up weren't really dealt with) and Wan's story, which was admittedly very cool and nicely written, but also only two episodes long. The rest of it? Meh, I can't even care enough to get mad.

Jul 9, 2011
Saetha said:
And also seriously? "The characters told us where they wanted to go?" No, that's not how you write. Good writing needs planning. I feel like this attitude explains so many of LoK's flaws.
I once planned out a story that intricately wove two seemingly disparate story threads together. Once I got to the writing part, it quickly became apparent that each thread worked better as its own standalone piece. I'm not sure why you're so against things not going according to plan.

If you've written for any significant length of time, I find it hard to believe that you've never experienced this yourself. You try to write a character to fit certain plot points, and that character fights you from the word go. You either force the plot point and the character develops inconsistently or let the character go and figure out a different way to deal with the plot point, sometimes omitting it altogether.

Saetha said:
Meh, I can't even care enough to get mad.
And yet here you are, venting your frustrations. :)

Saetha

Jan 19, 2014
gandhi the peacemake said:
Saetha said:
And also seriously? "The characters told us where they wanted to go?" No, that's not how you write. Good writing needs planning. I feel like this attitude explains so many of LoK's flaws.
I once planned out a story that intricately wove two seemingly disparate story threads together. Once I got to the writing part, it quickly became apparent that each thread worked better as its own standalone piece. I'm not sure why you're so against things not going according to plan.

If you've written for any significant length of time, I find it hard to believe that you've never experienced this yourself. You try to write a character to fit certain plot points, and that character fights you from the word go. You either force the plot point and the character develops inconsistently or let the character go and figure out a different way to deal with the plot point, sometimes omitting it altogether.
Oh, of course I've had characters not cooperate with the idea I set out. But I don't just roll with it when it happens - I come up with a new plan, and change what's already been written to match it. Because, you know, planning your story allows for that luxury. Writing by the seat of your pants does not. Every idea goes through some sort of change between it's conception and it's implementation, that's just how writing works. It's why planning is so important, because it gives you room to create a tighter, better-written story.

Saetha said:
Meh, I can't even care enough to get mad.
And yet here you are, venting your frustrations. :)
Venting my frustrations? I'm just bored out of my mind and killing time by posting on internet forums. If I had better things to do, trust me, I'd be doing them.

Gailim

Oct 13, 2009
The first two seasons of Star Trek: The Next Generation were garbage. Doesn't change the fact that seasons 3-7 were great.

sometimes shows get better.

While I don't share your opinion that the first two seasons were terrible (they both had terrible moments to be sure). That doesn't discount the fact that they learned from their mistakes and did better.

And maybe it's because the only Korra fan I keep up with was a huge Makorra shipper, but as I understand it, the series finale had several large issues that people are glossing over because of the Korrasami ending.
Not really... I would be interested to hear how you "understand it". Obviously not everyone is going to like an episode but the general consensus is that it was very good. Though it *is* true that the last two minutes have dominated the discussion since it aired. but that doesn't mean the rest was bad

Farseer Lolotea

Mar 11, 2010
Tony2077 said:
i figured unless they said otherwise it was canon so doesn't change anything for me
It seemed pretty clear to me that they were making it as obviously canon as they could without offending the moral guardians.

Gailim said:
Not really... I would be interested to hear how you "understand it". Obviously not everyone is going to like an episode but the general consensus is that it was very good. Though it *is* true that the last two minutes have dominated the discussion since it aired. but that doesn't mean the rest was bad
There were flaws, but...to be quite honest? I've seen more people try to either pin up the Korrasami ending as a flaw, or??bizarrely??try to blame the flaws on it than I've seen people "glossing over" the flaws on account of badass girlfriends.

So yeah; said fan being "a huge Makorra 'shipper" might have something to do with it.

Jul 9, 2011
Saetha said:
Oh, of course I've had characters not cooperate with the idea I set out. But I don't just roll with it when it happens - I come up with a new plan, and change what's already been written to match it. Because, you know, planning your story allows for that luxury. Writing by the seat of your pants does not. Every idea goes through some sort of change between it's conception and it's implementation, that's just how writing works. It's why planning is so important, because it gives you room to create a tighter, better-written story.
Well, then you're tacitly admitting that "The characters told us where they wanted to go" is indeed part of good writing, and thus invalidating the first part of your point, which is, to reiterate: "You don't write well by letting the characters tell you where they want to go. You write well by planning things out."

The second part of that may or may not have legs, depending on whether they did, indeed, plan things out or not, but certainly that first point is invalid.

Venting my frustrations? I'm just bored out of my mind and killing time by posting on internet forums. If I had better things to do, trust me, I'd be doing them.
Well, I call it potato, you call it potahto, I suppose.

Saetha

Jan 19, 2014
Gailim said:
And maybe it's because the only Korra fan I keep up with was a huge Makorra shipper, but as I understand it, the series finale had several large issues that people are glossing over because of the Korrasami ending.
Mostly I've heard that Korra doesn't really deal with Mako, and doesn't deal at all with Bolin, and that the only characters who truly get closure with her are Tenzin and Asami. You could argue they're just saying that about Mako because they wanted him to end up with Korra, but apparently Bolin and Korra didn't talk all season and she never explained her disappearance to him or something? And then there's something about how Bolin got a girlfriend, but they had a fight, but that's never really dealt with? And something about a lack of "The Krew."

Again, haven't been keeping up with it. Maybe it was perfect and she's just nit-picking because her ship didn't sail. Dunno. *Shrug* I'd direct you to her, but she's been getting picked on by Korrasami shippers and just wants out of the whole thing.

Saetha said:
Well, then you're tacitly admitting that "The characters told us where they wanted to go" is indeed part of good writing, and thus invalidating the first part of your point, which is, to reiterate: "You don't write well by letting the characters tell you where they want to go. You write well by planning things out."

The second part of that may or may not have legs, depending on whether they did, indeed, plan things out or not, but certainly that first point is invalid.
Hmm, It's not necessarily a part of good writing, just a part of writing in general. Which means that the first part of my point does hold weight - letting the characters tell you where to go doesn't mean you're writing well, it just means that you're writing. It's not any indicator of quality.

Either way, this is kinda turning into a battle of semantics, and I don't generally care for those. Because there's something that really DOES frustrate me.

Jul 9, 2011
Saetha said:
Hmm, It's ... just a part of writing in general.
You'd think so, but boy have I seen some examples to the contrary.

Either way, this is kinda turning into a battle of semantics, and I don't generally care for those. Because there's something that really DOES frustrate me.
Agreed it's semantics, and very well then, 'twas good sparring with you.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
Farseer Lolotea said:
Tony2077 said:
It seemed pretty clear to me that they were making it as obviously canon as they could without offending the moral guardians.

Gailim said:
There were flaws, but...to be quite honest? I've seen more people try to either pin up the Korrasami ending as a flaw, or??bizarrely??try to blame the flaws on it than I've seen people "glossing over" the flaws on account of badass girlfriends.

So yeah; said fan being "a huge Makorra 'shipper" might have something to do with it.
moral guardians i wonder if that is a oxy-moron in this case

Gailim

Oct 13, 2009
Saetha said:
Gailim said:
Mostly I've heard that Korra doesn't really deal with Mako, and doesn't deal at all with Bolin, and that the only characters who truly get closure with her are Tenzin and Asami. You could argue they're just saying that about Mako because they wanted him to end up with Korra, but apparently Bolin and Korra didn't talk all season and she never explained her disappearance to him or something? And then there's something about how Bolin got a girlfriend, but they had a fight, but that's never really dealt with? And something about a lack of "The Krew."

Again, haven't been keeping up with it. Maybe it was perfect and she's just nit-picking because her ship didn't sail. Dunno. *Shrug* I'd direct you to her, but she's been getting picked on by Korrasami shippers and just wants out of the whole thing.
She does deal with Mako, its actually a really good scene. Bolin and Korra talk in S4, not a ton but they do. Though it is true they don't get a last scene at the party together. Bolin spends the last scene dancing with his girlfriend.

I don't know what "the krew" means. possibly Toph, Katara and Zuko?

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Saetha said:
Saetha said:

Here's the problem, Nick never gave them the luxury of planning. From the start they never planned 4 seasons. Nick gave them 1 season, 12 episodes, and told them to make a thing. They made a single self contained story, a pretty good one, but one that was poorly paced because of how little time they were given to introduce all the characters, and the conflict, and to then resolve that conflict.

Then Nick decided "hey, that thing was pretty good, do another thing, here's your time-frame, and if it does well we'll give you 2 more." The second season was bad because they never got a chance to plan anything out. They hadn't planned for a second season and barely had time to finish it before the deadline. That's why season 2 is the weakest season, with bad character motivations and poor characterization. Everyone got hit with the "stupid stick" because the writers didn't have time.

They did however have time to plan out seasons 3 and 4 because they knew beforehand that they would probably get to make them. Seasons 3 and 4 are well planned out, well written, decently well paced, and in general have great characters and stories. Seasons 3 and 4 were the ones they had the most luxury to plan out and they did so. It's a shame you didn't give them a chance because you left the show at its lowest point, and it was at its lowest point because of the way the network treated it. The writers worked with what they had, and what they had wasn't enough. Nick kept dicking the show around and that's the reason for the quality problems.

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
I am surprised nick was onboard with Korrasami. Guess they get a "Not as huge a dick as you were some months ago" medal.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Roofstone said:
I am surprised nick was onboard with Korrasami. Guess they get a "Not as huge a dick as you were some months ago" medal.
If they were on board with it they wouldn't have fucked the 3rd and 4th season by not airing them. The fact that they were web exclusive is a disgrace. Nick proved that they don't care about the show.

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
Dirty Hipsters said:
Roofstone said:
If they were on board with it they wouldn't have fucked the 3rd and 4th season by not airing them. The fact that they were web exclusive is a disgrace. Nick proved that they don't care about the show.
Well Bryan didn't actually ask them about korrasami until they were finishing the finale, which was only a few weeks ago I seem to recall some viacom people stating on the sub.

So who knows.

...Well nick knows. And a bunch of other people, but not I!

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I apologize for ousting a member out but HA! That that crazygameguy4ever!!!

Also what the heck are the aboves posts are arguing about???