So let's play a little game with Metacritic

Saladfork

Jul 3, 2011
Payned said:
I was really confused because I thought Empire Earth was great, so I looked it up. You mean Empire Earth 3. I didn't even know there was an Empire Earth 3, maybe there's a reason for that...
Ziggy said:
That is a lie, Empire Earth is a great game and... oh. You are talking about Empire Earth 3. yes i must agree on that.
Susurrus said:
Which metacritic website were you looking at? It sure as hell wasn't the normal one:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/empire-earth

Empire Earth: 81 critic score, 8.5 user score.
Not 50/3.2.
Er... Yeah. I somehow forgot to mention that it was Empire Earth 3. Whoops.

MaxiP62

Jul 10, 2011
Off the top of my head:

Highest: Zelda: Ocarina of Time (99)
Lowest: Crash Time 4 (35)

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Well, to be slightly different than everyone else (and because the only reason I ever got Ocarina of Time was the compilation disc for the Gamecube that had Zelda 1&2 and Majora's Mask):

Highest Critic Score: Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 - 98
Lowest Critic Score: Dragonball Z: Ultimate Battle 22 - 25

And wait a second, Dragon Age 2 [http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/dragon-age-ii/user-reviews] is hovering around the same user-score as Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing [http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/big-rigs-over-the-road-racing]? Yeah, no, I'm not going to bother with the user ratings.

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
Highest: Bioshock (which is ironic given what I posted about it recently), Half-Life and Half-Life 2 - all 96

Lowest: Steel Storm: Burning Retribution - 55. It was part of a Humble Indie Bundle, and I don't think I've ever played it.

Not going near user ratings because the amount of review bombing for recent titles is ridiculous.

EDIT: All on PC, if that makes a difference.

Imat

Feb 21, 2009
Highest: OoT at 99
Lowest: Rogue Warrior at 27. Never played nor installed it, no idea what it is about.

Bostur

Mar 14, 2011
Highest
Half-Life 2: 98

Lowest
A tie between
Alpha Protocol and Dungeon Siege III: 72

Both AP and DS3 were enjoyable games, I certainly own much worse games with higher scores. I guess Bethesda didn't pay their dues to the critic gods. ;-)

The games I enjoy the most are usually in the 80-85 range with a few between 70-80.

I think the runner up for highest score is Skyrim with 94, personally I'd rank AP much higher than that. Skryim is not a very good game.

Tomany2

Jun 17, 2008
Highest is Legend of Zelda OoT : 99 / 9.4
Lowest is Rhythm Zone : 44 / 5.8... Eh... got it with an indie bundle :p

Launcelot111

Jan 19, 2012
Of the games I own this very second,
Skyrim: 92
Star Ocean: The Last Hope International: 74

Of all the games I've ever owned,
Super Mario Galaxy 2: 97
Custom Robo: 65

Lt._nefarious

Apr 11, 2012
Highest: GTA IV (ps3)
Lowest: Shell Shock 2 Blood Trails (x360)

User Highest: Dead Space (ps3)
User Lowest: CoD MW3 (x360) (Really? the em-wubs 3 was awesome...)

NoPants2win

Dec 4, 2010
Critic:
Highest - bioshock? At 96. User - 8.7
Lowest - Naughty Bear 43. User 5.6 (my friend bought it for me.)

User:
Highest - world of goo- 9.0
Naughty bear again yes, it's that bad

Zagzag

Sep 11, 2009
schtingah said:
Funnily though Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2 & 3 on the PlayStations beats the 96s, but i only have the PC versions of those.
I'm in the same boat actually, and I still think they are some of the best games ever made!

CoL0sS

Nov 2, 2010
Highest: tie between Half Life 1/Half Life 2 and Uncharted 2: Among Thieves - 96/100
Lowest: F.E.A.R. Perseus Mandate - 61/100

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
Half-Life, Half-Life 2, Bioshock at 96. That's as high as it gets, as I don't play *cou*puny*gh* console games.

Eufloria 63. Maybe. Had to plow through so many pages that I might've skipped the lowest. I'm very surprised at the result. It's one of the best, if not the very best ambient game. Steam clock says I've spent 27 enjoyable hours with it. Mostly listening to music, just chilling, as you do with these kind of games. The written review pieces also seem to hold it at higher value than the accompanying scores. Although, there was a huge patch, maybe a year ago, that changed it drastically. And that actually destroyed the great calm atmosphere as well as it did balance some stuff.

Smeatza

Dec 12, 2011
Critic
Highest - GTA4 on PS3 (beats Half Life 2 on PC by 2 points) - 98
Lowest - Dynasty Warriors Gundam 2 - 54

cba with user score.

Navvan

Feb 3, 2011
Well I certainly don't feel like checking all of them. However I know Zelda: Ocarina of Time is a 99 so that would be the highest. I also have Half-life(s), Bioshock, Mass Effect 2, and others I know are up there in the upper 90's.

Lowest (not counting those without rating) would have to be Sword of the Stars II: Lords of Winter with a score of 44. It had a... buggy start. Seriously the game simply crashed for just about everyone after a few turns.

I'm surprised that GTA IV is the highest rated game in over a decade. Of course that is the critic score, the user score is a much more realistic 7.5. I do love the giant gap between the critic score and the user score for Out of the Park Baseball 2007.

96/100 Critic
3.5/10 User

Of course it looks like it was bombed by people simply because they didn't want to play a baseball simulator.