So....Mass Effect 4

FitScotGaymer

Mar 30, 2011
Bayushi_Kouya said:
#2. The Tyranny of Choice
Much as I dislike many elements of JRPGs, at least they are willing to strongly characterize their protagonists (even if there's only two kinds of protagonists in JRPGs, and they're both some iteration of Angsty Male Teenager With Confidence Issues). Having another prot who's dull as dishwater boring because the story has to adapt to whether he's a humanitarian or a badass will bore me, and not get me to do a second playthrough. Skyrim is the epitome of this tyranny -- you handle your character's build and the order in which he tackles quests, but otherwise, the world would clearly turn without you and whatever choice you make. ME3 escaped that -- the choices you make matter to the Defense of All Intelligent Life fleets, even if they don't the ending. More of that, less of stuff like LA Noire.

Ya know see this...

This tells me that you have entirely missed the point of an RPG.

Completely.

Go figure out what an RPG is and them come back and take back these exceedingly foolish words. Not being rude or condescending here. Just being honest.

Go do it now.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
RhombusHatesYou said:
Kaleion said:
but seriously does anyone know if Bioware Montreal is the Bioware studio formed by the Pandemic guys?
No, Bioware Montreal are the dickweevils who made Army of Two.

Not a good indicator for people hoping ME4 will be 'more RPG, less shooter'.
Oh that's disappointing, Army of Two was a well made game but it was rather disappointing, pretty boring, I guess the gun customization thing could be good for Mass Effect as it's a little RPG-ish but only if they add more depth to it, I didn't care for Ao2s story at all though, so I'm expecting pretty weak writing.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
Zhukov said:
I found the combat to be a chore that I had to work through to get to the interesting stuff.

It was unbalanced because biotics > everything. The entire game could be beaten by ragdolling every enemy with biotics and then shooting them while they spazzed out on the floor. Compared to that the tech abilities were a joke.
As I said before, the game only becomes unbalanced if you let it. If you are finding biotics overpowered then limit their use. Just because an option is there, doesn't mean you have to take it.

Zhukov said:
This affected the classes a lot.
Want to make the combat extra boring? Play a soldier.
Want to be like a soldier but with less health and useless powers? Play an infiltrator.
Want to spend 70% of your time waiting for cooldowns? Play an adept or sentinel.
Want to spend 70% of your time waiting for cooldowns and be completely ineffective? Play an engineer.
Want to be hilariously overpowered? Play a vanguard.
To be honest it sounds as if you've been trying to play each class the same way.

Just to pick on the Engineer. You aren't meant to take the enemies on your own, the Engineer is a support class. If playing as an Engineer Shepard then hang back, use your powers to debuff enemies, and use allies like Ashley and Wrex to soak up the damage and take the enemies out.

That's one of the things I didn't like in ME2 and 3. Every class of Shepard could easily be a front line fighter.

Zhukov said:
The shooting lacked any sense of weight or impact. You shoot a guy and his health goes down with no other reaction. It felt like shooting at health bars, not enemies. In the sequels there was visual feedback. You shoot a guy and he stagger or falls, y'know, like a guy who has been shot with a high velocity weapon. Some enemies could have bits blown off, successful headshots caused heads to pop, some enemies had particular weak points, like shooting a guardian through the slot in his shield or sniping the pilot out of an atlas mech.
Something we agree on and one of the improvements I liked in the two sequels.

I just wish they had kept the dice-roll in the combat. You mention the slot of the Guardian's shield, I would have liked that to be determined by my aim but by Shepard's skill with that weapon.

Zhukov said:
Speaking of which, the first game had virtually zero variation in enemies. Mostly just guys with guns. The occasional guy who would charge you. The occasional biotic who would be incredibly annoying and ragdoll you. Oh, and those geth wall-hopper things. Compare that with ME3 where you have guys with flamethrowers, guys with rocket launchers, invisible enemies, enemies with shields, banshees, brutes, enemies who buff each other, enemies who spawn smaller enemies, snipers, hijack-able mechs. Hell, even the basic guy-with-gun enemies could flush you from cover with grenades. Huge improvement.
Visuallu different but not a huge improvement in my eyes.

The enemies in 2 and 3 would just hand back, enabling you to easily take them out from the safety of your chest high wall. The enemies in ME1 were far more aggressive in attacking your postition, you couldn't just hang back in cover if you expected to survive.

Zhukov said:
The armour in ME1 didn't give unique bonuses. Don't know what you're talking about there. It just gave higher shield/armour stats. Exciting! Granted, the sequels didn't much improve on this, but at least there was some customization.
Yes it did. From the top of my head Phoenix armour gave a boost to health regeneration and those from Devlon gave you protection from environmental hazards.

Combine that with the upgrades and you could feel the difference while playing between the suits, something I never found in ME2 or 3 with the parts.

Zhukov said:
As for stats, I'd rather actually have some input in the combat, instead of having everything decided by how big my numbers are. Besides, in the first game the stats were just a matter of making numbers bigger in such tiny increments that you could barely tell the difference. Oh wow, now I do +4% damage with pistols! In ME3 choosing how to put your points into a particular ability actually effected the way that you used that ability.
You have input in the combat in ME1. You direct your team, you aim your weapon and powers, you move around the battle-field to find better positions and vantage points other than chest high walls.

However I fully confess that I love stats in my combat, always have from my table-top RPG days. I like it because it is not just my skill that is important but the skill of the character.

ThriKreen

May 26, 2006
RhombusHatesYou said:
Kaleion said:
but seriously does anyone know if Bioware Montreal is the Bioware studio formed by the Pandemic guys?

Please stop tossing around incorrect facts like that.

They did not work on Army of Two, that was EA Montreal (different studio).

Kaleion said:
Oh that's disappointing, Army of Two was a well made game but it was rather disappointing, pretty boring, I guess the gun customization thing could be good for Mass Effect as it's a little RPG-ish but only if they add more depth to it, I didn't care for Ao2s story at all though, so I'm expecting pretty weak writing.
Bioware Montreal is like made up of half former Edmonton/ME people. They worked on some levels for ME2 and the multiplayer component of ME3 AFAIK.

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
skywolfblue said:
I wish they'd do ME4 with a Krogan protagonist. Krogan characters in multiplayer was the best thing about ME3.

"Mrawwww!"
No way. It was all about the Engineer. That class was so broken, I carried the team most of the time.

I'm a little uneasy about this. I like the series, but it's had so many missteps.

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
skywolfblue said:
I wish they'd do ME4 with a Krogan protagonist. Krogan characters in multiplayer was the best thing about ME3.

"Mrawwww!"
I'd love to see Mass Effect get the Dragon Age: Origins treatment. Letting us choose species would just be awesome. 3 reset enough of the universe that we wouldnt need to carry too much over, but the problem presented is that the game would start in one of 3 galaxy realities: AI destruction, AI enslavement, or (this would take up its own entire game?) synthesis. In all 3, the mass relays are gone. Unless 4 takes place in a hub world where all the species were present, that might make things difficult.

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
Bayushi_Kouya said:
I am of the opinion that Mass Effect 3 was a great game, tainted by some broken promises and a hastily rewritten ending. The other 95% of the game was good. Great, even. Just that last part was kind of a screw up.

Unlike more recent disappointments (AC3), I will still plop my money down on the counter for ME4. UNLESS I detect one of the following.

#1. Prequel
As a writer, the idea of the prequel is offensive, to me. So many of them rob their prede(ante?)cessors of ontological inertia and serve as a cheap and lazy way to reset the setting so that you can have Stuff Get Wrecked from the same starting point. It is my feeling that Mass Effect does not need prequels. ME1 IS the prequel.

#2. The Tyranny of Choice
Much as I dislike many elements of JRPGs, at least they are willing to strongly characterize their protagonists (even if there's only two kinds of protagonists in JRPGs, and they're both some iteration of Angsty Male Teenager With Confidence Issues). Having another prot who's dull as dishwater boring because the story has to adapt to whether he's a humanitarian or a badass will bore me, and not get me to do a second playthrough. Skyrim is the epitome of this tyranny -- you handle your character's build and the order in which he tackles quests, but otherwise, the world would clearly turn without you and whatever choice you make. ME3 escaped that -- the choices you make matter to the Defense of All Intelligent Life fleets, even if they don't the ending. More of that, less of stuff like LA Noire.

And to everyone asking for create your own protagonist, down to species, recall that every unique beginning story/staring area, more content is going to be taken out of the middle/end of the game.
DA1 had far more content and was far more interesting than DA2. Your concluding thoughts are a valid worry, but not a proven certainty.

Kae

Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
ThriKreen said:
Kaleion said:
RhombusHatesYou said:
Kaleion said:

Please stop tossing around incorrect facts like that.

They did not work on Army of Two, that was EA Montreal (different studio).

Bioware Montreal is like made up of half former Edmonton/ME people. They worked on some levels for ME2 and the multiplayer component of ME3 AFAIK.
OH I see, I didn't toss around any incorrect facts, I just asked a question and got an incorrect answer, but anyway, I guess that's better but it's still not what I expected which was the possibility of spaceship piloting.

ThriKreen

May 26, 2006
Kaleion said:
OH I see, I didn't toss around any incorrect facts, I just asked a question and got an incorrect answer, but anyway, I guess that's better but it's still not what I expected which was the possibility of spaceship piloting.
Whoops, yeah sorry, I should have separated the quotes out! I'll go fix that.

But it's depressing to see people not knowing anything about the subject still tossing out their opinions as if it was fact, when even an easy search would show otherwise.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
Well look at the bright side it can't be worse than Mass Effect 3 unless the box contained AIDS. and the only way to open the box was to stick an Xacto Knife up your genitalia.

I can see the marketing campaign now! Mass Effect 4: Genital Mutilation Edition.
And that's not even the worst marketing campaign EA's ever thought up

Kae

Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
ThriKreen said:
Kaleion said:
Whoops, yeah sorry, I should have separated the quotes out! I'll go fix that.

But it's depressing to see people not knowing anything about the subject still tossing out their opinions as if it was fact, when even an easy search would show otherwise.
I see, I would have looked for it but I was feeling rather sleepy and tired, but neat and thanks for the info.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
I liked all the other games, give an rts, tbs, shooter or anything a bit different and I will play it. So long as it's good, just because a franchise starts their games in one genre doesn't mean they have to just keep it there.

Look at Warcraft, now I'm not a huge MMO guy, and I'm still waiting for my next single player Warcraft fix, it did well and was a different type of game to the rts. People need to be more open with this concept.

JamesStone

If it ain't broken, get to work
Jun 9, 2010
I won't touch another Mass Effect game with a 10-foot pole. Mass Effect 3 was the harbinger for what is coming, and what is comming is EA bullshit with no concern for fans or coherent storyline (yeah, I just went there).

I expect nothing more than a steaming pile of turd, and I am completely prepared for that. Even if it isn't bad, I guarentee it won't be a Mass Effect 1, 2 or 3 (minus the last 15 minutes).

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
im going to be honest i just dont care about bioware anymore, its kind of like a football team where all the players are gone and replaced with new ones, same name but thats it

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
Gonna call it right now: It's gonna be beep-boop corporate sludge 3rd-person-shooter with token RPG upgrades, a 4-hour story and weak multiplayer.

Nicolairigel

May 6, 2011
Lady Lucky said:
It disturbs me that they're already working on a ME4 so soon after ME3...
It screams of the mistake that was made with KOTOR 2, pushed it out a year after KOTOR and it suffered, alot.
It's a shame, to. KOTOR 2 had brilliant characters, story, theme, pretty much everything, yet the technical misgivings made it so under appreciated and diluted. I think if it was given another year or two, allowed to have every twist and turn it was orginally supposed to, it would have far surpassed the first game.

Thoric485

Aug 17, 2008
Just to clear things up, BioWare Edmonton is the only BioWare that has existed before the EA buyout.

Half their workforce is still there. And losing their biggest franchise to a smaller studio, contained inside an EA HQ, doesn't bode well for the company.

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
I love Mass Effect and it's universe, I won't complain about getting to play more of it. If it's a bad game that will be a shame but I'm happy they are attempting to do more.