So MovieBob had some crap to say about that there Mass Effect 3 thingy...

Gnoekeos

Apr 20, 2009
lunavixen said:
endtherapture said:
I feel like I should just stop watching as soon as he said he hasn't played the games because if you haven't played or experienced the full journey, you have no idea how bad the ending is.

You can't comment on an issue on the internet properly if you haven't experienced it.

EDIT: Yeah he has no idea what he is going on about, saying by interacting with a medium, the story is of a worse quality than if you'd read it in a book/seen it in a film? Yeah. He is completely wrong.

EDIT2: He just called us all entitled. All gamers he called entitled. Being dissatisfied with a product =/= entitlement. Someone really needs to get this into thick idiot's skulls.

EDIT3: Bioware do owe the fans something. Their fans are their business. They have no fans = they sell no products. Bioware owe their livelihoods to fans, and the fans have been cheated out of a decent ending. Expect the next Bioware game to sell very poorly.

EDIT4: He needs to stop saying entitlement here. Gamers aren't entitled. They pay for their products. Maybe it's different for him and other critics cos they get free games/movies/etc. to review and stuff, but when you've spent £30 of your cash on a game, and it is overall shit, and you say it, you're not entitled.

EDIT5: I don't care if games are taken seriously. See Jimquisition on this. Most of the music I listen to (metalcore/hardcore/pop punk) isn't considered art by most people but I really don't give a shit. I like it, that's all that matters, I don't give a shit if some critic doesn't consider it art.

EDIT6: He just said we're entitled to ask for patches to fix "real problems". That is not entitlement. This dick has no idea what he's going on about.
hear hear, i couldn't have put it any better myself, this "Moviebob" guy is full of s**t, he can't be taken seriously because he hasn't played the games
Just like how someone who has never been pregnant can't be taken seriously on the topic of abortion!

Darkcerb

Mar 22, 2012
Gnoekeos said:
lunavixen said:
endtherapture said:
I feel like I should just stop watching as soon as he said he hasn't played the games because if you haven't played or experienced the full journey, you have no idea how bad the ending is.

You can't comment on an issue on the internet properly if you haven't experienced it.

EDIT: Yeah he has no idea what he is going on about, saying by interacting with a medium, the story is of a worse quality than if you'd read it in a book/seen it in a film? Yeah. He is completely wrong.

EDIT2: He just called us all entitled. All gamers he called entitled. Being dissatisfied with a product =/= entitlement. Someone really needs to get this into thick idiot's skulls.

EDIT3: Bioware do owe the fans something. Their fans are their business. They have no fans = they sell no products. Bioware owe their livelihoods to fans, and the fans have been cheated out of a decent ending. Expect the next Bioware game to sell very poorly.

EDIT4: He needs to stop saying entitlement here. Gamers aren't entitled. They pay for their products. Maybe it's different for him and other critics cos they get free games/movies/etc. to review and stuff, but when you've spent £30 of your cash on a game, and it is overall shit, and you say it, you're not entitled.

EDIT5: I don't care if games are taken seriously. See Jimquisition on this. Most of the music I listen to (metalcore/hardcore/pop punk) isn't considered art by most people but I really don't give a shit. I like it, that's all that matters, I don't give a shit if some critic doesn't consider it art.

EDIT6: He just said we're entitled to ask for patches to fix "real problems". That is not entitlement. This dick has no idea what he's going on about.
hear hear, i couldn't have put it any better myself, this "Moviebob" guy is full of s**t, he can't be taken seriously because he hasn't played the games
Just like how someone who has never been pregnant can't be taken seriously on the topic of abortion!
That would only if ever make sense if we were all women and talking about pregnancy.

We're gamers though and we're talking about games.

Escalation/slippery slope/analogues arguing is about as bottom of the barrel as you can get, if you don't actually have an opinion then go play in the corner.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
irishda said:
endtherapture said:

HALO- One man must stop an army of aliens (by himself) from destroying Earth/the Universe.
Elder Scrolls- One person is chosen by destiny to stop an army from destroying the land (technically by themselves).
Mass Effect- One person must stop an army of aliens (with a small group of people) from destroying Earth/the Galaxy.
Uncharted- One man must stop someone from possessing the power to destroy/take over Earth.
Diablo- One person (or a few, if it's multiplayer) must stop evil from taking over the land.
Max Payne- One man must avenge the death of his family by killing everyone involved.
FFVII- One man (along with the help of a few others) must stop one man (in possession of an army) from destroying the world.
Beyond Good and Evil- One woman must uncover a conspiracy and stop aliens from taking over the world.
The basic story premise is pretty simple in most games but games can go into so much more detail, with sub plots and side plots etc - in a Mass Effect movie, the genophage would be given like 20 minutes of actual time, most of it being action, perhaps 5 minutes exposition - in the game however it's given hours of time and exposition - that's the difference between games and films - games can go into so much more depth and detail, its's just that they require more combat and something to do - could you imagine a rom com game? Nah me neither.

Games can push the boat and out and tell geninely compelling stories that wouldn't work in a movie - KoTOR2 for instance would completely fail as a movie but it's one of the best game stories ever made.

Games can go at a slow storytelling pace, telling us intricately detailed stories that movies and books would never be able to tell us.

Matt King

Mar 15, 2010
edgecult said:
Matt King said:
The thing is i had a really high opinion of bob until this, but it has just dropped consideribly he is being really stupid,

But i will say i do not want them to change the ending i would like them to pull some blow your mind shit like that the indoctrination theory is right and if you chose the red destroy option in the new dlc (I think it was said it was going to be free but i can't conform) your body is found and you fight the reapers of earth and activate the crucible or whatever but if you chose say the green synthesis (or whatever it was called) You serve the fucking reapers and use the reaper forces to destroy the crucible and the allied fleet, like that shit would blow everyones fucking minds
You know... that sounds pretty god damned amazing.. especially if it was playable.. Destroy has Shepard leading the charge against harbinger directly.. have all the people and fleets backing you. Real hero stuff.. (not enough or missing bigger names would lead to shepard being killed or just make the charge that much harder.. much like the upgrades and choices in 2) The basic hero's journey resolution. He fought off the temptations of the darkness and regained control to lead the ragtag rebels to a major victory over the big bad. (or of course.. fails and dies in the process.)

Although i think the blue control ending would be serving the reapers (control/being controlled) but that does leave green then the odd man out. Really sense their two respective headers fell into the same trick with different ideas Saren and IM both ended up "serveing".. Donno.. this is how I can see the last two working out at least in my head..

Control would have a tech evolved Shepard/harbinger mix (ASSUMEING DIRECT CONTROL) leading the counter attack against his old allies and friends (Darkspawn chronicles/evil end infamous2 style) you fight through London facing down the combined forces of marines krogan turians ect. eventually you board the main alliance ship and kill your remaining allies and either Anderson or Hacket, best part would be the inverse of the first where the more you collected before the ending makes this ending harder and harder. Be especially fun if you recollect your allies by turning them as you defeat them. Might even have the "bad end" be the good end of sorts where the final fight can end with shepherd taking back control (much like the turned big bads from the past games) and is given the choice to take his own way out. (and perhaps the galaxy rebuilds in spite of Shepard instead of because him in the last hours depending on how much work the player did along the way.)

Sense green is the middle of the road of the two.. (synthesis combining ends up tearing sheperds mind apart.. it's a stretch but I'm gonna run with it -shrug-) Have this ending brings him to his death.. Take over as the rest of the crew playing out their final hours without their leader. Liara presses on to hide time capsule.. Garrus and the primarch (and other turians) fight till the end. EDI defends joker and the crew after harbinger shoots down the Normandy. Vega and the Survivor (ash/kaiden) try to defend a wounded anderson. Tali.. hmm.. donno what to do with that one.. (not sure where to send the engineer sense her main connection to the ground forces is shepard at least Garrus has noteworthy friends on the ground.. could send her off with garrus if they have their romance in the end.. otherwise.. donno..) could even continue this ending with a few others like the me2 characters on the ground on their last stands. (grunt and wrex, jack, jacob, ect) Give a feeling of the hopelessness of the war without their "icon" leading them and pressing them foreward against the odds. (or even again the opposite succeeding without him without enough work. again the main people collected along the way making this easier or harder even impossible without.)
yes that, EXACTLY THAT, someone go get a job at bioware and make them do it

Gnoekeos

Apr 20, 2009
Tree man said:
Gnoekeos said:
lunavixen said:
endtherapture said:

No. We are discussing a form of media, not an ethical and religious debate spanning a good forty years, that analogy was completely wrong. A better one would be a person who hasn't studied media knowing that a film was bad simply because it was bad.

You don't need a degree to understand that certain things are asinine and pointless.
All I'm saying is that you wouldn't dismiss someones opinion on that matter just because they haven't experienced it personally. He in fact can be taken seriously on the topic as an objective professional critic of stories.

Gnoekeos

Apr 20, 2009
Darkcerb said:
Gnoekeos said:
lunavixen said:
endtherapture said:

That would only if ever make sense if we were all women and talking about pregnancy.

Escalation/slippery slope/analogues arguing is about as bottom of the barrel as you can get, if you don't actually have an opinion then go play in the corner.
To say that "He can't be taken seriously because he hasn't played the games" Is exactly the same thing as what I said just with a different subject matter. All I'm saying is you don't get to dismiss Bobs opinion just because he hasn't played the games.

Jesse Billingsley

Mar 21, 2011
endtherapture said:

Bullocks to that.

Darkcerb

Mar 22, 2012
Gnoekeos said:
Darkcerb said:
Gnoekeos said:
lunavixen said:
endtherapture said:

To say that "He can't be taken seriously because he hasn't played the games" Is exactly the same thing as what I said just with a different subject matter. All I'm saying is you don't get to dismiss Bobs opinion just because he hasn't played the games.
Which would be true if he didn't then judge the "anti-ending" crowd without making any effort to understand there point of view.

And while he's doing that expect people to ignore his point of view in return.

And besides he's judging the story of a completely interactive story in an interactive medium, and you don't think his opinion means less when he hasn't experienced it?

Worr Monger

Jan 21, 2008
Tree man said:
Worr Monger said:
endtherapture said:
Expect the next Bioware game to sell very poorly.
I like when people are so sure of this. They forget that 99% of ME3 was actually a very good game... despite the ending.

I don't voice my opinion on the ending as much as everyone else...because quite frankly... I think everyone else says enough about it, so I don't really need to.

I can say that I was honestly disappointed by the ending of ME3. But I can guarantee you that I'll be buying the shit out of whatever they make next... because for people like me, they still make quality games.... and I'm willing to bet a lot of people will be doing the same.

(March Mayhem, right here on the Escapist seems to agree with me also)
The ending didn't bother me, what bothered me wad the journey, they literally brought characters up to shit on them and then have them die.

Now I get that in game they are at war with space faring doom machines but come on, did Mordin really have to die? There was no need to drag characters and factions up and then simply wipe them out.

...I'm still going to buy Biowares next game because other than this they've been consitently brilliant.
Even though I'm in the "disappointed by the ending" camp... I don't think they should change their ending... it's theirs and they have every right to it.... but they should expand upon it.. explain it, and have it make a bit more sense. I was proud to see BioWare end their franchise in a manner that essentially prevents direct sequels. I thought destroying the Mass Relays and killing off Shepard was a ballsy move , and I applaud them for it.... that's no lame Halo 3 ending right there. I just wish it answered more questions and provided more closure... that's what I'd like to see them address (I don't want to use the word fix).

I liked the journey the most, I thought the deaths of Mordin, Legion & the fall of Thessia to be the most moving parts of the game. I didn't want a bunch of happy endings personally (I would have disappointed if they didn't at least give me the option to kill off Shepard). Given the apocalyptic setting, I thought many meaningful deaths and failures were exactly what the franchise needed. Mass Effect needs tragedy and loss.

The big problem was that, with the games very depressing ending (and a lot of unanswered questions)... those deaths and failures felt less meaningful... and it was hard to feel a sense of victory in the wake of such loss.

Gnoekeos

Apr 20, 2009
Darkcerb said:
Gnoekeos said:
Darkcerb said:
Gnoekeos said:
lunavixen said:
endtherapture said:

Which would be true if he didn't then judge the "anti-ending" crowd without making any effort to understand there point of view.

And besides he's judging the story of a completely interactive story in an interactive medium, and you don't think his opinion means less when he hasn't experienced it?
Id have to rewatch the video to be completely certain but I believe he wasn't out to praise or condemn the game itself but rather explain why the over the top reactions are so inappropriate. I completely agree that if someone hasn't played the entire series then they can't have much to say about the details and whether or not is good or bad but what his (and my) issue is that no matter how much you like or dislike it that's the way the game ends, you can't expect them to change their story just to suit you.

Darkcerb

Mar 22, 2012
Gnoekeos said:
Darkcerb said:
Gnoekeos said:
Darkcerb said:
Gnoekeos said:
lunavixen said:
endtherapture said:

Id have to rewatch the video to be completely certain but I believe he wasn't out to praise or condemn the game itself but rather explain why the over the top reactions are so inappropriate. I completely agree that if someone hasn't played the entire series then they can't have much to say about the details and whether or not is good or bad but what his (and my) issue Isis that no matter how much you like or dislike it that's the way the game ends, you can't expect them to change their story, that's just how things go.
As they didn't change the fallout 3 ending?

The way things go is hardly static.

Gnoekeos

Apr 20, 2009
Darkcerb said:
Gnoekeos said:
Darkcerb said:
Gnoekeos said:
Darkcerb said:
Gnoekeos said:
lunavixen said:
endtherapture said:

Id have to rewatch the video to be completely certain but I believe he wasn't out to praise or condemn the game itself but rather explain why the over the top reactions are so inappropriate. I completely agree that if someone hasn't played the entire series then they can't have much to say about the details and whether or not is good or bad but what his (and my) issue Isis that no matter how much you like or dislike it that's the way the game ends, you can't expect them to change their story, that's just how things go.

I wasn't aware they changed then ending to Fallout 3 or rather I didn't really consider that changing the ending because the end of the game still happens the same way and then we continue onward with the story. Maybe I'm splitting hairs here or maybe that's what you've been asking for the whole time and I didn't realize it. At any rate that's all well and good, go get you some story extending DLC. the impression I got was that the goal was to back up a bit delete the ending as it happened and plug in new endings that are exactly what people want with no deviations. "that's just how things go" that was a crappy way to end the other post but I was on break at work and running out of time and editing a paragraph with a touch screen is a nightmare.

Darkcerb

Mar 22, 2012
Gnoekeos said:
Darkcerb said:
Gnoekeos said:
Darkcerb said:
Gnoekeos said:
Darkcerb said:
Gnoekeos said:
lunavixen said:
endtherapture said:

I wasn't aware they changed then ending to Fallout 3 or rather I didn't really consider that changing the ending because the end of the game still happens the same way and then we continue onward with the story. Maybe I'm splitting hairs here or maybe that's what you've been asking for the whole time and I didn't realize it. At any rate that's all well and good, go get you some story extending DLC. the impression I got was that the goal was to back up a bit delete the ending as it happened and plug in new endings that are exactly what people want with no deviations. "that's just how things go" that was a crappy way to end the other post but I was on break at work and running out of time and editing a paragraph with a touch screen is a nightmare.
I think you've fallen into the same rut so many others have, I personally didn't see my shep walking away from 3 intact. You'll find quite a few thought the same, a happy ending for a flawless play through would be nice but an ending that isn't a plot hole ridden mess with next to no closure would be even better.

What many don't remember is a flawless play through would get you out of the "suicide" mission in ME2 as if it were just another mission. But again a bittersweet ending showing all we've lost but all we've gained would have been just as or more satisfying I don't know if you've played it but the ending really is that bad, it's such a mess that I'm convinced of the rumors that most of the writing team were kept in the dark during it.

In this case you really need to have been a part of this world and all it's characters to feel how disappointing the ending is, not because it wasn't a star wars meddle ceremony but because it fly's in the face of all we've learnt of the characters and the world as we knew and shaped it.

J.d. Scott

Jun 10, 2011
endtherapture said:

Okay. I'll respond point by point, since obviously you won't understand any other way.

EDIT1: He's not saying that interacting with a medium, while certainly more interesting for the player, is rather difficult on the writer. It's much easier to write a non-interactive medium, since you can do things like having the narrator provide exposition, have characters give their internal thoughts without some convoluted dream sequence, et al. More importantly, as this demonstrates, one of the benefits of completing a book or a movie and getting it to print (on film or paper) is that it's DONE. People may not like it, but nobody calls Stanley Kubrick or J.K. Rowling after it's done and say...could you patch in an ending where Dumbledore doesn't die?? Books and movies don't need tutorial levels. They don't have to try to cater to really stupid people if they don't want to. When games have tried this - such as Dark Souls/Demon Souls, generally fans don't like them.

If you'd like a direct comparison, go grab one of those awful R.A. Montgomery Choose Your Own Adventure novels.

EDIT2: Yeah, you are entitled. Wanted something different =/= entitled. DEMANDING IT == entitled. Attempting to use Child's Play == ENTITLED. Insulting the writers == ENTITLED. FTC Complaint == Beyond Thunderdome ENTITLED. Lawsuit Threats == Off The Scale ENTITLED. Calling someone a "dick" repeatedly because he disagrees with you == ENTITLED.

EDIT3: Bioware owes you nothing. You give them money, they give you game. End of transaction. They might want to do it on a appreciating the fan level, but they didn't give you a broken game. They didn't even give you a game you disliked entirely. They gave you a game that you played for somewhere between 3600 and 6000 (or more) minutes and you didn't like ten of them. More importantly, other people liked the ending. I like it. Not totally, but I definitely get the idea and I definitely like what they did. Even if I hated the ending, between single player and multiplayer, I've logged..170+ hours in ME3. At some point, your complaints go beyond the pale.

EDIT4: The "Retake Mass Effect" people are entitled (they tried to hide their entitlement through charity, which is even more ridiculous_. You're acting very entitled. You paid money. You got a game. They didn't cheat you. The game's not broken. You may not like it, but that's certainly not cause to demand they fix it. You can respond with complaints. You can ask for your money back. Some people did get their money back. That's it. The game's not broken. More importantly,

I think it's rather entitled to enjoy all this work - some of the best writers, voice actors, game designs, mocap artists, and animators in the industry worked on this game. There are points in this game that are just amazing. I've felt less for the death of real people then I did for the deaths of Mordin and Legion. Saving the Krogan and getting their responses of joy is tremendous. Hearing the bitterness in Garrus's voice as he stares at the burning embers of Palavan is amazing. There is quality in so many details of this game. The little details are amazing - I remember talking to the engineers in the ship and having them remember the power converters I fetched them in ME2. There's humor, there's terrible sadness, there's tragedy, there's some amazing gameplay from time to time. You got a LOT for your money.

EDIT5: You may not, but people in the industry do. Not every game is the best ever, but when they work on something like ME3 (or any other triple-A title), they want it to be their best work. Casey Hudson wanted this game to blow people's minds. Mac Walters - the same. Ray Muzyka - the same. They want their work to be realized, want people to love and appreciate it, and they're even willing to throw their integrity into the fire to make you guys happy. You don't deserve any of it, but they're probably going to do it anyway. You've treated their art like utter crap, and just because they want you to be happy, they're going to try and fix it for you. It says a lot about them, and just how rotten people like you are.

EDIT6: You're misquoting him. What he said was "[gamers say] they're entitled to patches and DLC not just to fix real problems, but to reshape the designer's original vision to more closely match our own. How the hell can we insist the broader culture take games seriously when we won't take them seriously?" One is proper (fixing a broken thing) and the other is entitlement (I don't like this! Mommy, get me something else!).

What's funny is that calling gamers entitled makes them get up in arms, but gamers can brutally insult Patricia Helfer with homophobic and sexist slurs and nobody bothers to look around and see how wrong that was.