So The Ghostbusters Embargo was lifted and oh dear

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Man, what can I say? Everyone saw this coming from a mile away, and the Director's insulting comments certainly didn't make matters better. Of course this movie was going to be aw-

shrekfan246 said:
For the record, OP's premise seems a bit flawed [https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/ghostbusters_2016/]. 76% positive with a 6.6 average isn't great, but it's not nearly as awful as the people who desperately want the film to fail seemed to believe it would be.
Holy molly! It's actually decent?! Wow! And I thought the movie was going to be absolutely terrible, like a Happy Gilmore Film Terrible! I'm still not going to see it (I don't even like the original Ghostbusters), but I'm glad that despite everything going against it, that it managed to pull it off as amazingly well as it did.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Annnnnddddd it will still sell an assload of tickets. Because people will buy anything these days.

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
I get the feeling that a lot of people are gonna end up seeing this movie, actually kinda digging it, and then having to pretend they hated it to save face.

Sounds like it's *fine*, which is, well. Fine. People should save their anger for shit like Pixels.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Going off the links, one would think some of the finest cherries were picked for this.

Not cherry pie quality of pickings, but nonetheless some fruit was picked.

Anyways, it really doesn't matter if the movie was good or not, and it looks like it was mediocre, but it all really hinges on is how much money it makes. If it makes bank then reviews won't really matter. It will be taken with some grain of salt when the sequel gets made, and you know there will be one in the works if money was made on this, soooo.....

Not really surprised it's pretty 'meh', but I won't be surprised when it makes oodles and oodles of cash.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Arnoxthe1 said:
Annnnnddddd it will still sell an assload of tickets. Because people will buy anything these days.
But will it sell "160 million dollars plus possibly just as much as that in marketing" level of tickets? Because that won't happen with anything these days, as Fant4stic showed us. In fact it's still an open question if this movie is going to brake even, and it's definitely not going to be the level of success that the investors where promised (can't even rely on China like most big budget mindless movies do).

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
shrekfan246 said:
Schrodinger said:
Annnnnnnnnnnnd clearly this justifies the hilariously overblown outrage people had at the mere idea of lady Ghostbusters, because ghostbusting is a MAN'S job and besides, women aren't funny anyway!
...well, they aren't. ;D

In all seriousness, I wasn't bothered by them redoing Ghostbusters, I'm just not a fan of the series. I kinda like the first film a bit, but that's really about it. Sucks for the fans, I guess. I wonder if this version will get a sequel.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Parasondox said:
You know what? 30 Days of Night is a good movie. I like. I always thought Vampires hated the cold but nice thought.
But...what? Why would vampires hate the cold? They are the cold! Good movie though, they didn't shy away from kid killing either. For some reason that should probably be admitted to a psychologist, that adds a few points to my respectometre. A trivial entertainment fopar that has no reason to still exist.

NiPah

May 8, 2009
Dang I was kind of hoping it'd be an absolute train wreck, sometimes those are more fun to watch then just mildly bad movies.
Certainly still planning to watch from how much people had been talking about it, though just a stream/rental.

Areloch

It's that one guy
Dec 10, 2012
springheeljack said:
Are people masturbating to the failure of Ghostbusters now? I think there are better things to beat off to
There's people furiously masturbating to the potential failure of the film AND it possibly not being a failure. Basically already everyone's jerking themselves off in self-gratification regardless of what camp they were in.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
SHAME

So Campea liked every part except the cameos. Grace said it's a great popcorn movie, watch it in 3D. Waiting for Jeremy and Schmoes, but expecting a 3.1, 3.3 schmoes and a good time, no alcohol required. I might go see it just because I'll have the money and plan to be in town next weekend.

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
The topic is too polarized to completely trust reviews on either side. Some went in to hate it, others I'm sure are stretching the positives in a way they wouldn't for an Adam Sandler flick. Factor in more than a few critic / fan differences and the very VERY subjective nature of comedy, and I think it's fair to say this can't be claimed good or bad just yet. That I think will come from 2nd week sales. Aside from the number of people that will see this as some political act or to be pissed off at / rifftrax it (guilty on that one), this can still do alright, but once the first week energy is gone, see how fast people turn. On the other hand, the international market has made some sizable upsets recently, so how this plays in China will matter largely. Back to the first hand, this is a sizable budget to overcomeand good to meh reviews might not be enough. Remember, in Hollywood math, breaking even is all your costs plus 1/3, and as a lot of fan goodwill is blown to smithereens for this movie, the execs may want to do better to justify it.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Redd the Sock said:
The topic is too polarized to completely trust reviews on either side. Some went in to hate it, others I'm sure are stretching the positives in a way they wouldn't for an Adam Sandler flick.
It's actually to the point where some won't even pretend there's any problems with it [http://archive.is/fctV4] and the fact many who are giving it positive reviews where also propagandists [http://i.imgur.com/RQu6Tiz.jpg] using the party corporate line to pretend that the entirety of the negative reaction was due to sexism despite it being a "2 + 2 = 5" level lie.

At this point the glorified blogs we call news sites are completely unreliable and anyone wanting to know how the movie actually is should wait for YouTubers who have for some time now been the actual source of film critique to wight in on the movie.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Well, I went to see Independence Day on Indepedence Day and I have The Killing Joke to look forward to, all of this at the theater that I saw the anniversary showing of original Ghostbusters in when that came up. I'm pretty much set.

Chanticoblues

Apr 6, 2016
Zontar said:
At this point the glorified blogs we call news sites are completely unreliable and anyone wanting to know how the movie actually is should wait for YouTubers who have for some time now been the actual source of film critique to wight in on the movie.
Who are these youtubers? I've seen some talking head movie reviewers on youtube and I thought they were pretty bad. If there some legit, knowledgeable ones I'd love to give them a look.

springheeljack

Red in Tooth and Claw
May 6, 2010
Areloch said:
springheeljack said:
Are people masturbating to the failure of Ghostbusters now? I think there are better things to beat off to
There's people furiously masturbating to the potential failure of the film AND it possibly not being a failure. Basically already everyone's jerking themselves off in self-gratification regardless of what camp they were in.
Eh I'll just stay clear of the circle jerk thanks

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
springheeljack said:
We're at the point where people actively want people who disagree with them to not get their way/be happy. Even if it does so in a way that doesn't affect them.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Chanticoblues said:
Who are these youtubers? I've seen some talking head movie reviewers on youtube and I thought they were pretty bad. If there some legit, knowledgeable ones I'd love to give them a look.
Something a lot of YouTubers have is styles to their works, so if you don't like the fromate you probably aren't going to enjoy them, but there are quite a few reliable ones.

For me personally ones I watch are channels like RedLetterMeida (they share my cynicism about everything), Chris Stuckmann, GoodBadFlicks (Cecil posts his weekly stuff here, but he does timely reviews outside of that which are only on his YouTube channel) and YourMovieSucks (who isn't as pessimistic as his channel name sounds) for the ones I watch specifically, and while I don't watch him anymore since I grew a bit tired of his style Jeremy Jahns was reliable back when I watched him and I've not heard opinions on those I know who still watch him change so I'd count him as well.

There are plenty of others but these are the ones I do/did watch since their views on movies tend to be ones which their responses give me an accurate image of how I'll respond to a movie based on what it is in a movie I look for for enjoyment.