So "this" happened again.

2012 Wont Happen

Aug 12, 2009
There's not much you can do but call the police at sixteen. Knives that are worth a shit for defense are illegal to carry and you can't carry a gun until you're 21. Unless you're in a place that you can't carry a gun for defense at all, in which case the only way to handle being mugged for anyone is to just do what you're asked to do while the weapon is in your face then report it to the police later.

Zeren

Aug 6, 2011
michael87cn said:
Zeren said:
Situations like this are why I conceal carry a .45.
Fantastic advice. Pure brilliance. This way, if he asks for your wallet, you can just kill him with the pull of a trigger and spend life in prison! :D

That's using ur brains!
Or I could only fire if my life is in immediate danger. What is it with you people always thinking that a gun always has to be fired to have the desired effect of stopping a mugging?

AndrewJamesDrake

Jul 22, 2013
Zeren said:
michael87cn said:
Zeren said:
Fantastic advice. Pure brilliance. This way, if he asks for your wallet, you can just kill him with the pull of a trigger and spend life in prison! :D

That's using ur brains!
Or I could only fire if my life is in immediate danger. What is it with you people always thinking that a gun always has to be fired to have the desired effect of stopping a mugging?
Well... most criminals are desperate people... so yeah they will probably cut and run the moment the threat of death is right in their eyes. If not, aim for something non-critical if they are hesitating, and shoot for center of mass if they aren't. Let the police sort it out when they go in to get the bullet taken out... or let your deity take care of it when the guy dies from having a bullet in his guts.

CGAdam

Nov 20, 2009
Because saying you have the gun is implying you'll use it. It's what they think, and hopefully, it's what the mugger thinks, making them back down without you ACTUALLY needing to fire.

...something in that feels oddly circular.

AndrewJamesDrake

Jul 22, 2013
CGAdam said:
Because saying you have the gun is implying you'll use it. It's what they think, and hopefully, it's what the mugger thinks, making them back down without you ACTUALLY needing to fire.

...something in that feels oddly circular.
Yeah. The mugger threatens you with violence to get you to do something, and you then threaten them with violence to get them to stop trying that shit, and the cycle continues until one of you backs down, or it escalates to violence.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
James Joseph Emerald said:
sanquin said:
If someone tried to mug me with some pocket knife I'd literally laugh in his face and then try to beat the crap out of him. If the mugger had a large knife or a gun, I would probably just comply. I LARP. Some of the guys at the LARP I go to are friggin' scary, and in the heat of 'battle' the line between a real and a fake weapon blur a little. You're going to be scared of that realistic looking latex weapon whether it can hurt you or not. So I'm used to dealing with aggressive people trying to attack me. And a pocket knife really doesn't scare me any more.
This is the funniest post I've read in a long time.

I'm assuming the comedy is intentional, but if not that's even more hilarious.
Kudos, in either case!
Especially because pocket knives can be quite large and dangerous. I've got a razor sharp one with a locking, 3.25" blade right next to me, I would not laugh at someone running at me with something like that. Especially since, in the grand scheme of things, it's not even all that big of a knife.

Of course, threads like this tend to lead to some great "internet tough guy" hilarity.

OT: The closest thing to the story in the OP that ever happened to me was as awkward as it was scary. In college, I decided to take a bus out to the nearby Walmart (which was in a really bad part of town but open 24 hours and fairly safe) around 10:00 at night. Once there, I decided to go across the street to the Target, because the Walmart didn't have something or other that I wanted to get. So I get there and find out that every last store in the plaza, including the Target, was closed. Why a store across the street from a direct competitor that is open 24 hours a day -- in a college town, no less -- would close that early, I have no idea, but they were closed. Unfortunately, I wasn't alone in the parking lot.

You see, the most blinged out car you've ever seen was in the parking lot, and the driver of it was visibly getting more nervous by the moment. I should probably note that I was long haired, bearded, and carrying a backpack at the time, looking for all the world like either a hobo or, potentially, an undercover cop. So I start heading back to the walmart as quickly as I could without actually running, all the while keeping an eye on that car, the driver of which was keeping an eye on me. And I mean he drove that thing around the parking lot to get a better view, and on two occasions actually stepped out of the car to look. I didn't feel safe until I actually got back to the street and saw a homeless guy sitting on a bench, since I was no longer alone.

Long story short, I'm pretty sure a drug dealer and I scared the absolute crap out of each other that night.

Edit: By the way, before someone brings my knife into the gun discussion, yes I actually carry it with me when I'm out of the house, and yes it's legal. No it's not a weapon, it's a tool that I use on a daily basis to do things like cut loose threads off of my clothing and open packages. The locking mechanism is a safety feature that keeps the blade, which like I said is razor sharp, from closing on my hand while I'm using it. You could use it as a weapon in a pinch (same as you could any other tool), but if I ever actually need a weapon for self defense, I'm not gonna want that thing, because in all likelihood it'll mean I've brought a knife to a gun fight.

TecnoMonkey

Jul 2, 2012
One day when I was going to school I saw a guy looking at me from a distance, something felt off about him. I continue walking but I hear something behind me, I turn around to see the guy running towards me. He then gets real close and tells me to give him my cellphone, I tell him I don't have one, he then gets confused and asks why I have earphones on (when I walk to and from school I usually listen to music from my IPod Shuffle). I then realized that this guy had no idea what he was doing so I mouth something about how I need the earphones for something else, when I expect him to ask what they were for, he instead tells me to give him my money. I tell him I don't have any money and ask him if I can go, he concedes and I go on my way.

It was quite the piss poor mugging attempt, but I still got a bit shaken up from the ordeal.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
There have been a few close calls out in the world, but nothing's ever escalated beyond angry words.

That said, I do carry a thick, serrated 3-inch blade with me at all times whenever I'm out in public. I suppose it's a paranoia type of thing. I'd rather not be at a disadvantage if shit ever gets real.

...Really though, I'm a runner, not a fighter. Using said blade is an absolute, all other options exhausted/life in serious danger, last ditch effort type of deal. I have no desire to cause harm to someone else, but I can and will defend myself if necessary.

BarbaricGoose

May 25, 2010
I was so sure this thread was gonna go the way of so many others that start out like this.

"Well, this mugger came up to me, and he was all, 'Gimme your money,' but then I stared him down and he got scared, pissed himself, and I kicked his ass with both my super ripped arms tied behind my back. Then this chick comes up to me, and she's all like, 'That was sexy. Wanna make out?' So I'm like, 'Sure babe,' and then she's all, 'Okay, but not with my shirt on.' And then we rode off in my '67 Impala and took in a private Led Zeppelin reunion convert that played in the backyard of my sprawling mansion. Oh, and it turns out she's a super model from Germany."

Anyway, on topic, I remember back when I was 9 or so I had a weight problem. After copious amounts of exercise years later I managed to get rid of it, but I still remember a day when I was hanging out with my friends, and a bunch of assholes in this fucking Jeep drove by and yelled "Diet." I was 9-fucking-years-old: you know what a goddamn trauma that was at that age? I still feel violated thinking about it.

Granted, not the same as being mugged. Being mugged would probably feel a lot worse, but still--this is all I got. It did teach me to never judge people by the way they look.

xshadowscreamx

Dec 21, 2011
late after noon im leaving the library as im talking to this girl, and these 2 guys 15/16 ish. one knew the girl. however it was the shorter guy who wanted to shit with me . i kept walking . the taller guy convinced eventually him not too. the shorter guy was saying things like he knew bikers that would help him, i said 'you clearly know nothing of bikers'.. any his his freind pulled him away and i continued walking, with the girl... i almost got hit by a car as i was thinking about the incident walking home, but the girl made me stop in time.....

no i diddent get the girl, she is only about 16 i found out lol. and i was 22..

happened last year.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
If I've learned anything from this thread it's to take up parkour: the martial arts equivalent of running away.

Thomas Hardy

Aug 24, 2010
I had a layover in Detroit once on a long trip so I went for a walk around my hotel trying to find an open convenience store or all night grocery.

This guy came up behind me and asked me if I was "looking for fun".

I said "isn't everybody?" and then asked him for directions so some place that sold root beer.

He said "sorry man, I can't help ya" then turned and left.

It was only when he was like half a block away talking to someone else that I saw him lift up his shirt and saw the gun stuffed in the front of his waistband that I realized a drug dealer had tried to sell me.

First and only time that's ever happened.

Since then, whenever I'm weirded out by somebody I just act like everything they do is normal and then get up and leave.

It's worked so far. In the OP's case I would have tried to calmly pack up my stuff and told him I worked at a pawn shop but now's not a good time for me.

SouthernStar

Jul 23, 2013
Thomas Hardy said:
He said "sorry man, I can't help ya" then turned and left.

It was only when he was like half a block away talking to someone else that I saw him lift up his shirt and saw the gun stuffed in the front of his waistband that I realized a drug dealer had tried to sell me.

First and only time that's ever happened.
You asked a drug dealer where you could buy some root beer? Either I'm missing something or you're the most bawlsy ************ I've ever seen.

Coppernerves

Oct 17, 2011
Kennetic said:
Coppernerves said:
Zeren said:
How does that actually work?
Not the piece, I mean how do you draw and aim before the mugger, who most likely already has shiv in hand, shanks you a few times, and jacks the .45 to mug more efficiently with?
Simple, you don't let him get that close to you in the first place. I don't let strangers within arms reach personally.
That is probably the best out of the ten answers I've received for that question.
Should've been obvious I suppose.

PatrickXD

Aug 13, 2009
A kid tried to mug me late last summer. It was in broad daylight, around noon, and this kid who couldn't be more than 5'6 comes up to me and says 'Hey, you alright?'
He's behind me, so I turn around and see him. I was expecting it to be somebody I knew but I'd clearly never met this person before. He was wearing a grey hoodie and was fiddling with his hand in one of the big hoodie pockets.
The exchange went something like this.
Me: "Yeah, you? Can I help you?
Him: "Yeah, actually, do you have any money on you? I need some money for a bus."
Me: -There are no bus stops for at least another 15 minute walk- "Hmm, actually I don't. Where you headed, is it important?"
Him: "I don't know, just, how much do you have on you? What do you have on you?"
Me: "Oh. Right. I get it. No, I'm sorry, I don't have anything on me."
Him: "Prove it, empty your pockets. If you don't have anything for me there'll be trouble."
Me: "What? Trouble? Trust me, I've got nothing. Look, look at my phone -shows crappy 6 year old £10 phone- do I look like I have any money for you?"
Him: "Look, you don't want trouble, so give me your money" At this point he leans in to frisk me
Me: "Dude, come on, what are you, gay?" a car starts to drive up the road
Him: "If you don't have anything, then let me fucking search you!" This guy is getting nervous, but is clearly a wuss.
Me: "Hey, let's ask this guy" I walk out in front of the car, ask the driver loudly for some money.

And the little prick booked it.

I don't know what I'd have done if he pulled a knife on me, or if he was a big black guy or something. That shit sounds scary.

EDIT: I just remembered the best mugging related advice. My ex and I were walking out of a train station, holding big fresh steaming cups of coffee in hand, when a guy decided to snatch her handbag. She accidentally poured molten lava-coffee all over his arm and he started screaming. She was apologising, not quite having realised what had happened. I decided to throw my coffee in the fuckers face. More screaming, she was still apologising, most people thought it was hilarious, and we walked away unscathed. So, in conclusion, carry fresh coffee everywhere.

PN8

May 14, 2013
I was once walking outside in the night some 3-4 years ago and one guy with a a chainsaw in his back.(no I am not kidding) came and told me that he wasn't from around here and was trying to get back to his city and that he was hungry and homeless blah blah. So he asked for money. His voice wasn't particularly threatening but as I have mentioned he had a freaking chainsaw on his back so I gave him some of change saying that that was all I had(it was a lie) but he took it let me go on my way. I may have gotten lucky by being just a kid back then; I have heard later that men like those want about 50 times as much before they let go of you.

Also there was another situation I was in that while technically wasn't mugging, it involved a man stopping me in my tracks and asking for money. He was more of a beggar he said he was trying to look after his baby and needed money. He had some religious books in his hand that he was offering to sell me. I didn't really believe anything he said but the guy spoke so professionally (a professional beggar!) that I have admired his communication skills and gave him some money just for that.

kuolonen

Nov 19, 2009
Seriously, most you people apparently live in towns that would be considered war-zones in my country.

Closest I've come to muggin was when I was delivering papers at the "worst" neighborhood of my town. The even went as follows: The guy yells from inside the car to "give me money!", apparently being so drunk that his friends had to carry him in there. Paying no further mind, I continued my rounds on the block and later saw him yelling the same phrase( still inside the car) to some random couple passing by. The guy just yelled him to fuck off.

Finland. Where muggers are too drunk to actually commit any muggin. We have aggressive gypsy beggars though.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
This is why I love Australia, the closest I've been to a mugging was when one chav at the station called me and everyone else a ****, he then tried to punch somebody but he was surrounded by more chavs and someone else told him to fuck off. He did because the police were around the corner.

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
I've been mugged once. I didn't even know it was happening until the guy was going through my pockets.

Me and a friend of mine were walking home from school (I think I was 14/15 at the time) and there are 3 middle eastern looking lads ahead of us (probably 3rd or 4th generation immigrants). Next thing I know my head is in serious pain, I can barely think I'm so dazed, I'm pushed up against a wall and the largest one is going through my pockets while the other two hold my mate against the wall and headbutt him repeatedly.

I didn't even have time to react. Fucking sucked.

Managed to get the guy who attacked me in a Young Offenders Institute for 6 months with 6 months community service after that.

Wintermute_v1legacy

Mar 16, 2012
sonofliber said:
how many of you have actually been rob at gun point? because if you try to pool half the shit people are talking in this post you will end up with 2-3 new holes in your body.

honestly if you see anything suspicius either run or give them what you want, if half the people who are talking about how they kick their robber ass would have been mugged in my city they would be in body bags.
Yeah, I have to agree. I have had guns pointed at me 3 times now. Around here, you could still get shot, stabbed, raped, in no particular order, even after you gave them everything they wanted. Maybe european/american criminals follow some sort of moral code, though.

I'm sorry, but getting shot or stabbed over your wallet, phone, backpack, whatever, it's just not worth it. Even if the guy isn't a robber and is just verbally abusing you, just walk away, you have nothing to gain from it, and the guy probably has nothing to lose.