So... Uh... What the hell, Australia?!?!

Mugen

Dec 14, 2011
SaneAmongInsane said:
http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/15/world/meast/embassy-attacks-main/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

So basically, now there protesting at U.S. embassy in freaking AUSTRALIA...

So... I ask, what the hell is up with Australia hating us 'Mericans now?

What, is it so unthinkable that people in ''freaking Australia'' might have an opinion, or feel strongly about something?

Now, i wouldn't presume to speak for my 20 million countrymen. And i don't like to make sweeping generalisation's, but i personally believe that it is the above arrogance/ignorance that seems so indicative of American's today that is souring our relations's.

Oh, and then there is the decadent culture we are force fed, and the fact that our own youths care more about the American election than our own. My own sister claims that she ''loves Obama''. She cant give me a single reason why.

Australia is strengthening ties in our local region e.g. China, South Korea. We recently entered into a military alliance with the Japanese, once our bitterest enemies. Our two countries have a lot of shared history, but we are undeniably drifting apart. I wouldn't go so far as ''hate'', its more like disillusion.

Bernzz

Assumed Lurker
Legacy
Mar 27, 2009
Country
Australia
KnightDragul said:
Yeah as an Aussie lemme just say that the Muslims doing al the violent riots don't represent Australia.... Thats like saying the KKK represents America's opinion of all other races.

I even know a few people who are muslims and they're embarresed aswell as angry about how they all cop the blame for the way those thugs in Sydney are acting.

People with hate in their hearts and minds will be violent no matter what race, religion or cause they belong to.
Pretty much this. Don't judge all of us Australians, or all Muslims, on the actions of a radical few.

Personally, I don't see the point of rioting and protesting at the US Embassy. It's not like the US Government personally produced the film. Some asshole who happens to be American did.

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
Grenge Di Origin said:
Can anybody please tell me why the US embassy is being attacked, what factors are affecting and causing this?

I'm an American, and my heart is completely open to the grandeur of the peoples and cultures of the land down under, and I want to understand them... I don't want to generalize, I want to understand.
It's just the Muslims dude. All the idiots angry over the stupid movie. Don't group the masses of the intolerant with us.

karcentric

Dec 28, 2011
CommanderL said:
so a bunch of people protest at an embassy and that makes all us aussies hate americans how ?
Who cares, it's true!

Actually i was equally confused by OP's post, they are aware that Australia is multicultural country, or at least we try to be, and when one group of that multicultural group protests, it must mean we're the same to him/her...

I blame Muslim's for being too touchy about certain issues, and American's for their general lack of knowledge about the rest of the world, of course I'm pointing at a very select group...

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Grenge Di Origin said:
Can anybody please tell me why the US embassy is being attacked, what factors are affecting and causing this?

I'm an American, and my heart is completely open to the grandeur of the peoples and cultures of the land down under, and I want to understand them... I don't want to generalize, I want to understand.
As I understand it, it was a badly organised protest with no central leadership, which meant there was nobody to ensure teh usual troublemakers got reigned in, and nobody for the police to deal with.

So, you get people saying that they don't want violence and all that...except they are saying it to the media because they weren't organised enough to say it to everyone else.

Always, always organise your protests, and make it very damn clear there's to be no violence, or it becomes very easy for a few individuals to turn it into a riot.

CpT_x_Killsteal said:
Grenge Di Origin said:

It's just the Muslims dude. All the idiots angry over the stupid movie. Don't group the masses of the intolerant with us.
That was very badly phrased.

ninjaRiv

Aug 25, 2010
Whenever I hear or read the word Yemen, I can't help but think of it as "Yemen, there's no need to feel down, I said Yemen! Pick yourself off the ground!"

Raioken18

Dec 18, 2009
Australia has quite a large Muslim population. A large majority of that population get along well with everyone else. But a vocal minority within that group causes a lot of chaos and generally weakens relations between locals and those groups.

Take the Cronulla Riots, they occured in retaliation to a situation where a muslim womans headscarf being removed to properly assess if she needed CPR by lifeguards and 4 muslim men attacking them for infringing their beliefs. This led to a lot of back and forward attacks organised via text message. The actual riots were initially intended as a peaceful protest to support the lifeguards who are there to save peoples lives, however a minority of those people were drunken yobbos and when a group of muslim men began abusing them on the beach, the drunks from the crowd retaliated and beat them senseless. However more innocent people got caught up in the violence that time because of the large scale of people providing cover for the jerks who used it as an excuse to be racist and bash any ethnic minority. A lot of the people beaten were actually Indian.

But the large part of the problem is the amount of segregation of the Muslim community from those around it. The Lakemba Mosque is a heavily guarded fortress where a lot of Muslim people congregate. If you even hang around it's perimeter and aren't middle eastern looking you will either be bashed or pushed onto the road. It's very dangerous.

That community is also very Anti-Turkish and Anti-Croatian, and will go out of their way to make people from those communities feel unwanted.

There is also a big thing about never touching Muslim women. I was at the local shops (Bankstown) and a Muslim woman fell down the escalators. People were just standing around watching her as the stairs kept hitting her as she struggled to get up. I just reacted and grabbed her arm and helped to lift her up, as did a teenage Chinese girl nearby. We helped the woman to a nearby bench where she freaked out that we'd even touched her to help her up and began crying. I was beaten over the head and had to run off, the girl also ran off upon seeing this. I could pretend that it'd been such a bad experience that I'd leave someone in that situation again... but I'd still go help them regardless.

Oh and there is a very strict no interracial relationships within that community. If you talk in a suggestive manner to one of "their" women, you'll likely have your tyres slashed if not worse.

TL:DR
The Muslim community as a whole keeps itself segregated from the larger Australian community. The violent minorities within that group are a major problem to everyone and make it hard to even be friends with people from those communities. If you don't want to get beaten up, don't touch their women.

Paradoxrifts

Jan 17, 2010
SaneAmongInsane said:
http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/15/world/meast/embassy-attacks-main/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

So basically, now there protesting at U.S. embassy in freaking AUSTRALIA...

So... I ask, what the hell is up with Australia hating us 'Mericans now?
Muslims make up about 2% of the Australian population, of that 2% 0.00083% gathered in public places to make complete and utter dicks of themselves as part of a staged world wide protest.

not_you

Don't ask, or you won't know
Mar 16, 2011
It was because of an American film targeting the Islamic population throughout the world.... I think... That's what the news was going on about at the time...

So, yeah... because of a mis-informed mockumentary (I think) the muslims/islamic (one of those, or something like them) population got angry... because they're a touchy bunch who can't learn to live in a country that doesn't follow their views like a tunnel-vision mouse in a maze full of cheese....

So what if I sound a little bit racist... But, seriously, they come out to live in Australia (predominantly catholic/aboriginal populace) then force their beliefs on the local community, then expect to have the same rights as everyone else....

wow that sounds bad...

but, it is! it's hopeless!?!

Edit 1: I don't mean any hate by this post, I'm just speaking from my point of view from what I've seen/heard over the years.... I give everyone a chance to be friendly at any given opportunity, but rioting throughout the city causing chaos is NOT acceptable, no matter who you are...

upgrayedd

Sep 2, 2012
As probably said

Started out with a few people doing the right thing, protesting innocently,

Hijacked by a couple of douchebags with offensive signs, behead signs wanting to riot. The majority of the guys who were here in the first place were peaceful, however cockheads will always hijack events like this, No matter what religion/background/issue it is, remember the g20 riots where you would have about 8% of the total people start throwing rocks ect. and the police would just punish everyone and all hell would break loose? Well luckily that didnt happen however it was looking a bit iffy for a moment

You had a weird situation where the protest group was actually getting pretty agro with eachother, one side was guys trying to push around police and storm the US embassy, the other were kinda dismayed and telling the other group to stop it.