So, what did you end up buying in the Steam Sale? And, how much did you spend?

Knusper

Sep 10, 2010
I might have forgotten some, but this is what I can remember:

Hitman Blood Money
Just Cause 2
Wings of Prey
Saints Row 2
Super Meat Boy
Assassin's Creed 2

...and I gifted Garry's Mod to a friend

I would like to add I got Killing Floor for a fiver the week before the Christmas sale on a Midweek Madness, and then they decided to put it on the Christmas sale for 50p less and WITH all the DLCs; I was annoyed. :(

bushwhacker2k

Jan 27, 2009
Chibz said:
Nothing. Steam is all garbage in that it's a massive scam. Any price for a leased game is too much. Except if they priced it down to $0.01 / game...
Troll?

I got tons of games, some amazing deals...

I got Spectromancer, Call of Cthulhu, Silverfall, etc

Weslebear

Dec 9, 2009
Steam games work offline and can be put on any computer? I see little to no problem with this, I don't share games with friends either, get your own damn copies. Also how many people do you think would just let it slide if Valve decided to take the games away? They would be absolutely destroyed I can imagine, and they would be sued out of existence, so it's never going to happen you're campaigning against something that would cause a shit-storm so big they would never do it.

Actually on topic though.

I got:

-Indie Beat Pack £3.99, Rhythm Zone and Beat Hazard are so much fun and make old songs interesting again, and complete my collection with the previously bought AudioSurf for the best music based games :3, the few puzzle games in the pack I doubt I will touch.

-Farcry bundle, the original Farcry was the sex, and I'm actually loving Farcry 2 despite all the hate it receives, I genuinely have spent hours just roaming around hunting down guards and storming outposts and I love the driving so all the more for me :D.

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
Chibz said:
Nothing. Steam is all garbage in that it's a massive scam. Any price for a leased game is too much. Except if they priced it down to $0.01 / game...
I bought about 15 - 20 games for 80 pounds.

In other words, I'm sorry - but you're wrong.

Mcupobob

Jun 29, 2009
Civi City Rome, because it was a dollar, and I need a cheap substitute for my Ceaser 5 craving.

WOPR

Aug 18, 2010
Fawcks said:
Topic title is descriptive!

Here are the games I wound up with:

Orange Box (14.99)
Left 4 Dead 2 (4.99)
Plants VS Zombies (3.00 ... I think. Probably never gonna play it, heh).
Amnesia: The Dark Descent (6.80, which I am now too scared to play...)

So! Big waste of money on my end. How did YOU do?

Also: People are dying in third world countries, and here I am spending money on games. Games I will likely not play to their full potential. And posting about it in an internet forum.

DISCUSS.
I got Evil Genius; it was $1.49
SO WORTH IT

EDIT: and YOU PANSY!
I swear I wanted amnesia, everyone else got it, everyone else is too scared to play it and won't let me play it because they don't want me to beat it for them despite that they won't do anything in it.

No_Remainders

Sep 11, 2009
I didn't get very much.

I only got Dead Rising 2, Overlord Complete pack and The Witcher.

Good games, I think it was 20 euro, 3 euro and 4 euro respectively.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Fawcks said:
Topic title is descriptive!

Here are the games I wound up with:

Orange Box (14.99)
Left 4 Dead 2 (4.99)
Plants VS Zombies (3.00 ... I think. Probably never gonna play it, heh).
Amnesia: The Dark Descent (6.80, which I am now too scared to play...)

So! Big waste of money on my end. How did YOU do?

Also: People are dying in third world countries, and here I am spending money on games. Games I will likely not play to their full potential. And posting about it in an internet forum.

DISCUSS.
Hmmm, well I spent more money than I should have. I am one of those people who hates digital downloads and yet probably owns 100 games on STEAM from various sales. I buy physical copies of most games that I really want for top dollar when they come out (pre-orders and so on), I buy games I'm ambigious about from STEAM because I wind up paying $5-$10 or occasionally $20 for a title and if I wind up hating it I don't lose that much money. As a result I have a lot of games I've tried, but didn't like in my STEAM account.

This year included Divinity 2 (which cost as much as downloading just the X-pack would have), Farcry 2 (heard very mixed reviews of it, but I like sandbox games), Mafia 2 (same as Far Cry 2), Blood Bowl (has the potential to be awesome or absolutly terrible), and a few others.

I'm one of those people who has more games than they could ever play, but I tend to be picky, so a lot of them are games I'll never play seriously. Video games being a seller's market where there is no real way to get a handle on what your buying until you have it, and what amounts to a solid "no returns" policy. While disliking digital downloads on principle, I will say that STEAM's sales are useful to someone like me.

On the other hand I will also point out that I think STEAM is a lot like Wal*Mart. Albiet on a longer term scale. I have no great dislike of Valve despite not being a shooter fan, but it occurs to me that the sales STEAM runs are simply to destroy the competition and stay on top. If at some point we see the demise of physical media, and the comparitive mom and pop's operations like "Gamer's Gate" wind up bring driven out of business due to STEAM grabbing all the sales due to their periodic bargains, I imagine STEAM is going to up it's prices and stop doing sales due to a lack of competition once it's entrenched enough.

I'm a cynic, but from what I sit it seems to me like Gabe and Valve are simply smarter than most of the other guys in the gaming industry. When digital downloads were first developing one thing we the users were promised was much cheaper games due to the simple fact that there would be no need for packaging or shipping. Not to mention how it would make releasing expansions and DLC more practical, with DLC and such being able to be produced very rapidly and very cheaply. In reality as soon as the technology started to hit the market the game industry decided to see how much it could exploit the tech. All that money being saved was simply taken as extra profits, DLC became an exercise in holding back popular types of content (like Liara in Mass Effect 2) to be sold seperatly, and of course DLC is priced at the highest point the market can bear, with you seeing things like people paying $15 for a couple of multiplayer maps and maybe some weapon re-skins for a FPS game. Valve on the other hand did not do this, and in their sales and such you can see with a digital platform how low the prices can be taken while still making a profit. A shadow of what Digital Download platforms were supposed to be when the technology was first being developed and hinted at. I think in the end that's what is giving STEAM it's dominance, but also I think Gabe is enough of a businessman that if he successfully takes down all his rivals Valve is going to simply do what everyone else has been doing, except with no competition. Pretty much what happened with Wal*Mart.

Of course my cynical opinions don't matter much in the long run, and honestly from an equally cynical perspective it probably doesn't matter because at least we're getting decent deals right now as opposed to having to pay full price for everything. In the future it just mens we'll be paying what we normally would in all likelyhood, and not getting these kinds of deals anymore.

LordDalawing

Sep 30, 2009
Civ IV: Complete , 6,50$
Civ 5 Deluxe, 30$
Mafia 2 Del + DLC: 20$
Super Meat Boy
Just Cause 2: 7,50$ (treasure hunt)
Metro 2033: 10$ (Treasure hunt)

For a total of almost 100$ with moneychange rate...
Steam is bad for compulsive buyers i guess...

WOPR

Aug 18, 2010
No_Remainders said:
I didn't get very much.

I only got Dead Rising 2, Overlord Complete pack and The Witcher.

Good games, I think it was 20 euro, 3 euro and 4 euro respectively.
you Only got 3 good games (one of which is still $60 USD)

I got Armored Core 4, and Monster Lab
Both are $10

Also got Evil Genius which was $1.49

so yeaaaaaaaaaah...

anyways Hope you love DR2; I'm thinking I'll get case west when I have $10 again... which'll probably be valentines day being that someone buys me a game to keep me sane (looooong story involving me always getting injured on THAT day... last year I was attacked by a dog)

DE619

May 17, 2010
The Valve Super Special Awesome Pack and KotOR. I almost got the GTA4 complete pack but I noticed I had no more money left :(.

mortalsatsuma

Nov 24, 2009
Crysis and Crysis Warhead. Oblivion GOTY edition and Bioshock and Bioshock 2. Half those games I'd already got and played on console but I wanted to try them on PC.

No_Remainders

Sep 11, 2009
WOPR said:
you Only got 3 good games (one of which is still $60 USD)

I got Armored Core 4, and Monster Lab
Both are $10

Also got Evil Genius which was $1.49

so yeaaaaaaaaaah...

anyways Hope you love DR2; I'm thinking I'll get case west when I have $10 again... which'll probably be valentines day being that someone buys me a game to keep me sane (looooong story involving me always getting injured on THAT day... last year I was attacked by a dog)
Well, the OL pack is 2 games and an expansion in itself. So more like 4 games and an expansion! They're good fun though. Like DR2 but it's annoying with the time limits. I'm trying to think, because I have a strange feeling I forgot about something I bought....

Nope. Nothing else.

Hafnium

Jun 15, 2009
Nothing.. unexpected actually, but the deals just didn't contain games that interested me much, other than those I already own.

Trotgar

Sep 13, 2009
I don't buy games often, so I only bought Mass Effect 2 for 15?.

I'm really enjoying it, though I think the first one is better.

TundraStalax

Jun 8, 2010
nothing this year, but last year I picked up
left4dead 2 (36.99)
zombie shooter 2 (like 5 bucks?)
Killing floor +all additional dlc (20.99)
street fighter 4 (biggest waste of time, I can't even start the game, much less play it) (40)

all in all: it wasn't much to show for, but, I did have some fun with zombies