So , what's the point of being in a relationship.

PatrickXD

Aug 13, 2009
I don't see why people go crazy about it when they're young. That being said, I'm 18 and the couple of relationships that I've been in at this point have been incredibly rewarding. At this stage I would definitely say that relationships aren't for me, sex is great but it all seems so serious - I prefer a more casual approach.
When you're older, relationships are important for building a family. So that's important.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
Ever see Lethal Weapon, Tango and Cash, Cagney and Lacey, or Miami Vice. It is pretty much like that with sex. It's your partner you eat doughnuts (and each other out) with. Forget family and all that stuff. Being in a relationship with someone is great if you are in the right one with the right person. If they share all the things you are into it's awesome. As for people who have never been in one. A chemical reaction happens when you spend time with them and you become 'addicted' to them in a sense. It has it's ups and downs but personally I think it's worth it. It's tough when it ends and you lose 'control' of your feelings when you are in love but the way I see it, life is already hard enough and since when have we ever had control over anything?

TheKwertyeweyoppe

Jan 1, 2010
If you're in love with someone then I doubt you'd be asking this question. If not, then no, I guess there's not that much point in a romantic relationship.

Of course, I've always defined friendship as a relationship, and it's always bugged me that other people limit the word to romance when it just means how two things relate. Christ, even pronumerals can have a relationship.

VeneratedWulfen93

Oct 3, 2011
Society constantly telling us we should be in relationships, that only losers don't have girlfriends/boyfriends and a futile sense of companionship in a world where love is accepted as an actual thing. There some of the bull reasons we are fed by films, magazines and even family.

I to see no reason for them. The emotion of 'love' is beyond what I understand and I do not believe it exists.

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
krazykidd said:
Guarenteed sex ? This is the answer my best ( female ) friend gave me and i quote :" well if you play your cards right you are 100% sure to get sex " . Yes she was being serious . I find this to be a terrible reason , it's so easy to get laid now a days , this is basically a non-issue.
This would be the only reason for me at the moment. I am not ready for a family and don't want constant companionship.

it's so easy to get laid now a days , this is basically a non-issue
Is it really? What have I been doing wrong all these years?

Evil Moo

Always Watching...
Feb 26, 2011
Relationships exist to satisfy the biological/psychological urge to mate and form the social structures that have proven successful enough for the species survival for them to become biological/psychological urges in the first place.

Personally I would be happy to stick with informal friendships than get involved with the twisted formalities of 'relationships'. That said, never having been in a relationship, perhaps I have a distorted view of what one is and I might end up finding someone who is similarly casual about them.

Spinozaad

Jun 16, 2008
There's no "point" to relationships. They're no means to an end, they're an end in themselves. People in a relationship consider themselves to "belong together".

Although the guaranteed sex with someone you love and who loves you is an added bonus.

-edit-

Not to be smug, or well... Maybe a little bit: but maaaaaaaaan, some of you are really bitter/loveless. Cheer up fellas, why so serious?

AlexWinter

Jun 24, 2009
krazykidd said:
I skimmed your post because I think there's a pretty simple answer.

People get into relationships because they want to be in one. For example, you want to share your experiences with someone that augments them. I wouldn't have had half as much fun last year if I hadn't been doing everything with my (ex-)girlfriend.

Also the sex gets much, much better the more you have it with the same person and love just makes it all better.

So companionship + great, guaranteed sex + chemistry + family = relationships.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
love, the drive to please your partner, to make them happy and having the reciprocated back is an amazing feeling. Have you ever spent time with someone, and all you felt was that what you were doing was the most important thing in the world? That's love. Love makes you happy, makes you crazy, makes you angry sometimes. But it is all worth it because of that special person you have spent time with.

You may have sex regularly, but have you made love? I've been in love. Best feeling ever, I felt high all the time with her. If you don't feel that, break up with this lady friend of yours.

Relish in Chaos

Mar 7, 2012
Because the media hypes it to be one of the best things in the world and, if you?re not in a relationship, you?re missing out (e.g. Valentine?s Day, a marketing scam for reasons I can?t be bothered to get into now). Also, hormones.

But, based on my observations of my friends? and other people?s relationships, it?s mainly a more powerful form of companionship, to the point that just being around them makes you feel good inside.

And, btw, no, it?s not ?so easy to get laid nowadays?. For many people, the only way they can laid is with a partner, since casual sex isn?t for everyone. Just like relationships, I guess. And even they can vary on a scale of seriousness.

I mean, no offence, guy, but it?s a bit like asking ?What?s the point of having friends? Eventually you?ll just drift apart from when you move cities, go to university, whatever, so if anything, it?s more for convenience.? Boyfriends and girlfriends are, essentially, a higher level of friend; someone who you can talk to about intimate issues and be intimate with (as well as feeling you?ve fulfilled your biological imperative by finally satisfying your sexual frustration into the man/woman you love).

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Love and companionship. Speaking purely for myself, I don't give 2 shits about the sex part, although since I've never had it I am rather curious as to what it's all about. *ahem* As cheesy as it sounds I feel part of me is missing and I think that a partner would fill that gap. Although I've gone without for so long I don't know if I'll even be able to handle having what I've desired ever since I was old enough to care.

TheKwertyeweyoppe

Jan 1, 2010
VeneratedWulfen93 said:
The emotion of 'love' is beyond what I understand and I do not believe it exists.
I don't really get this attitude. Love is a pretty observable thing, it's probably why there are so many happily married couples out there. It's a type of emotional bond like friendship or parenthood. Just because it's explainable psychology and not magic doesn't mean it isn't real.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
Ideally because it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy and all that good shit.

And sex is nicer when it's with someone you care about. Casual sex is so... awkward. For me, anyway.

Raikas

Sep 4, 2012
krazykidd said:
Companionship ? Yeah i get this. Having someone with you to keep you company . But can't you do this with friends and/or pets?
Your pet won't help you pay the bills or call for assistance if you fall down the stairs and break your neck. Your friends might, if you live together, but you're not going to be the same priority for them - and they're probably not as willing to invest in big ticket items (house/vehicle) with you as a partner would be. Unless you're independently wealthy, it's much easier to afford a better house in a better neighbourhood if you're in a two income situation than it is on your own (and much less legally complicated to do it with a spouse than doing it with a friend).

And that's aside from the love/sex/child-rearing bits, but other people have posted about that already.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Raikas said:
krazykidd said:
Companionship ? Yeah i get this. Having someone with you to keep you company . But can't you do this with friends and/or pets?
Your pet won't help you pay the bills or call for assistance if you fall down the stairs and break your neck. Your friends might, if you live together, but you're not going to be the same priority for them - and they're probably not as willing to invest in big ticket items (house/vehicle) with you as a partner would be. Unless you're independently wealthy, it's much easier to afford a better house in a better neighbourhood if you're in a two income situation than it is on your own (and much less legally complicated to do it with a spouse than doing it with a friend).

And that's aside from the love/sex/child-rearing bits, but other people have posted about that already.
Honestly , that seems pretty selfish actually . To have someone to assist you . When not mentioning love etc...

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
hazabaza1 said:
Happiness.
People find it in different ways. Whether it's natural or some kind of social conditioning, lots of people find it in having someone. Others, not so much. Depends on the person really.
Pretty much this. If you and your partner are happy then why not be in a relationship?

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Relish in Chaos said:
And, btw, no, it?s not ?so easy to get laid nowadays?. For many people, the only way they can laid is with a partner, since casual sex isn?t for everyone. Just like relationships, I guess. And even they can vary on a scale of seriousness.
Well it's easy , depending on your moral standpoint . If you want to get laid , and don't think casual sex is morally reprehensible , it's not that difficult to do , IF that's what you are looking for . With the internet , and websites dedicated to finding people for casual sex, bars and other meeting places for single people . It really depends on the person .
Flames66 said:
krazykidd said:
Guarenteed sex ? This is the answer my best ( female ) friend gave me and i quote :" well if you play your cards right you are 100% sure to get sex " . Yes she was being serious . I find this to be a terrible reason , it's so easy to get laid now a days , this is basically a non-issue.
This would be the only reason for me at the moment. I am not ready for a family and don't want constant companionship.

it's so easy to get laid now a days , this is basically a non-issue
Is it really? What have I been doing wrong all these years?
Asside from what i mentioned above , it depends on what you are actively seeking and how you go about it . But it's really not that hard , people are having casual sex all the time , everywhere ( or almost).

Raikas

Sep 4, 2012
krazykidd said:
Raikas said:

Honestly , that seems pretty selfish actually . To have someone to assist you . When not mentioning love etc...

To have the two people assist each other, that's the key point - and that's not selfish at all. You said you weren't feeling the love, so I was offering another reason.

Plenty of people enter into marriages for mercenary reasons (immigration, family pressure) or non-romantic ones (like arranged marriages) and grow to love each other specifically because love can grow out of that interdependency.

VeneratedWulfen93

Oct 3, 2011
TheKwertyeweyoppe said:
VeneratedWulfen93 said:
The emotion of 'love' is beyond what I understand and I do not believe it exists.
I don't really get this attitude. Love is a pretty observable thing, it's probably why there are so many happily married couples out there. It's a type of emotional bond like friendship or parenthood. Just because it's explainable psychology and not magic doesn't mean it isn't real.
People think they are in love but they aren't. People don't marry for love, they marry for convinience, money or tolerance. Thats the extent of love to me, tolerance. you can tolerate the presance of another person to an above average degree. Love in a conventional manner has been twisted so many times that it has lost all meaning. people think they are in love all the time but how many divorces and cases of domestic abuse do we see? How many sad teenagers crying on facebook becuase they were dumped or shouting about how they are in love when they havn't realised it doesn't exist.

As soon as love counts for shit I'll believe it exists. Right now its just a word people throw around without meaning. Thats how i feel on the subject.

Personally back on the topic of relationships I cannot add much more other than that I see relationships as utterly pointless exersizes of people trying to drag someone else through their life with them so they can pretend they aren't alone.