So.. What's with all the Gamecube Hate?

The Grim Ace

May 20, 2010
One of the best systems around is the Gamecube. The only big problem I had was that Soulcalibur III wasn't released for it, then I played the game on my PS2 and realized my Gamecube was better off without it.

I can't remember how many times I threw it against the wall after another level of XIII but it still looks brand new.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
The only problem I ever had with any Gamecube was that the disc reading laser would get corrupted or some such and as a consequence it would often pop up with an error after anywhere from 1-3 hours of gaming.

But I loved all of the games I got for it (Hyperbole: I had a library that roughly equaled the size of the Parthenon), and despite how it was always touted as being inferior graphically compared to the Xbox and PS2, I always found that the graphics were purposefully never "realistic" and so it deftly avoided issues that games like Silent Hill 2 and Halo ran into (Character models being smacked in the face repeatedly with shovels, environments looking like cardboard cutouts, etc.)

Also, the attachment that let me play my Gameboy games on the Gamecube was absolutely amazing.

Mischlings

Feb 18, 2011
Nalgas D. Lemur said:
I'm another non-hater. It was my favorite console of that generation, and I still like it more than the Wii. I guess it'd be hard to argue for it being better than their earlier stuff, but even though third-party support was minimal, the games it did have were great, and it had the best controller Nintendo's ever made (and still one of my favorites anyone's made).
I really agree on the controller. Until I got used to the 360 controller, the Gamecube controller was my favorite by a mile (I have never liked the layout of analog sticks on PS1/2/3 controllers).

GrimHeaper

Jun 1, 2010
Slimshad said:
So I was talking with my friend about different game systems the other day, and we got to the subject of Wii vs Gamecube. He said that the Wii was honestly better than the Gamecube because the wii was more innovative. I've actually noticed a lot of people either hated the gamecube or considered it the weakest in the nintendo lineup, just because it didn't do anything new.

Anyone else see anything wrong with this argument? Almost everyone that I've talked to who think the gamecube was Nintendo's worst system (which seems to be almost everybody) has used this as their argument. In my opinion, the Gamecube is the best system they've ever put out. It had the best games, and easy-to-use controller, and a generally user-friendly interface. Plus better graphics than what the Wii has currently. I mean whenever I play the wii, I almost always play titles that you can opt out to use a gamecube controller (atleast multiplayer ones), and even the zelda title they released on the wii was better on the gamecube.

The N64 was a good system, but its titles do not compare to the gamecubes on any level (Except for mario titles). Anything the n64 did, the gamecube did better. So why does everyone I talk to consider the gamecube the big N's worst system?
The real question is can the Wii U play Gamecube games?

Mallefunction

Feb 17, 2011
I'm a PS girl, but I have a Gamecube and love it :3 It's my party system really. I use all my single player stuff for my PS3 and all my Mario and co-op stuff for the Cube.

I have never heard people hate on the Gamecube. Honestly, more people have raged over the Wii from what I've seen.

KefkaCultist

Jun 8, 2010
I loved the Gamecube. Not as much as the N64, but enough to be up there on my favorite consoles list. The big flaw with the Gamecube at the time it was released was the lack of online capability when both the Xbox and the PS2 had it.

The Wii IS infinately better than the GC though, but thats obvious since the Wii also plays Gamecube games and has online (ablbeit, not very good online).

Windcaler

Nov 7, 2010
Gamecube was actually pretty good IMO, it had Metriod Prime after all. Compared to the wii though, well the Wii is more innovative I dont think that can be contested but is it better? Well no, I dont think so.

I dont think so because innovation in and of itself doesnt necessarily make something better. Theres such a thing as bad innovations. Of course the other reason I think the Wii is worse off is because I think a console or PC is really only as good as the games that come with it. This is usually why PC is so much better to me, I have the best selection. The wii, well doesnt. It doesnt have hardly any games tnat Im remotely interested in. I mean monster hunter sure, I love that game but I really strain to think of other titles on the Wii that I enjoy (and no I dont really enjoy the new mario, Zelda, and definitely not other M).

As far as nintendo's console versions, if innovation was the sole thing I used to judge a consoles worth then the Wii would be on top. However if Im being completely honest with people then my list from best to worst would go something like this NES, SNES, Gamecube, N64, Wii. That list is made from a ton of different factors though

SeriousSquirrel

Mar 15, 2010
The Gamecube is one of, if not my number one favourite console. Great design, games controllers, and was the last great splitscreen-multiplayer console in my opinion.

Plus, it's the console that birthed Mario Kart Double Dash (and stole hundreds of hours of my life)so it's responisible for one the greatest games of all time.

PinkiePyro

Sep 26, 2010
the gc was a fine system defently well built and tough as nails
(something x-box could study up on)

I still have plenty of gc titles I like to whip out and play

zelda windwaker and twilight
lugis mansion
chibi robo
cubivore (a sereously overlooked game if you can find it try it!)

plus it had the first overseas release of the animal crossing series

Semitendon

Aug 4, 2009
As a system, I don't have anything against the Gamecube.

However. . . Worst. Controller. Ever.

Besides being insanely small, the button configuration was completely random.

Being a tall/large person, bigger controller's are usually better. The PS controller was roughly the same size as the Gamecubes, and I found my hands cramped up from time to time while using it. But, at least the PS controller was funtionally sound, and not the button nightmare that the Gamecube used.

These days, I find myself loving the large sized X-Box 360 controller, which is the best controller to come with a console yet, in my opinion.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
I rather liked the game cube, it was a fantastic little system for it's time. In fact it's a bit better than the Wii in my opinion.

WorldCritic

Apr 13, 2009
The Gamecube is the only console of the previous generation that I have never owned and it actually makes me a bit sad. However I thought it was a good console that just didn't get quite the chance it should have. If I have to name my favorite Nintendo consoles, the Gamecube is actully tied for me with the N64 which I respect as a great console.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
ZeZZZZevy said:
I've never heard any such remarks, but I think the Gamecube was alright

It was built like a tank though. You really had to try to break it.
Yeah, my cousin dropped a tv on it by accident like the 3rd day he had it and the tv broke, gamecube was fine. For shits and giggles he dropped it out of a second story window into some bushes(after he'd upgraded to a new system) and the damn thing still works. So yeah, he tried to break it and failed.

DarthFennec

May 27, 2010
The gamecube was (still is) my very favorite Nintendo console. I've never heard anyone hate on it ...

kaveradeo

Jul 12, 2010
Windcaler said:
However if Im being completely honest with people then my list from best to worst would go something like this NES, SNES, Gamecube, N64, Wii. That list is made from a ton of different factors though
Your list confuses me.
Mine is N64 SNES Gamecube Wii nes, and really the wii should be higher since it could play many old games with virtual console.N64 is still the BEST though.

Flailing Escapist

Apr 13, 2011
I have nothing but goo memories for the gamecube. I thought it was a solid last gen console. And its the only console besides my 360 that I have never had to replace.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
I don't hate it. It just didn't do very much that the other consoles didn't do equally well or better. And its controller was downright silly.

Wolfenbarg

Terrible Person
Oct 18, 2010
It was dirt cheap and had plenty of fun games for it. When the Xbox and PS2 were still sitting at ludicrous prices (cheap compared to today), the Gamecube was 100 bucks, and even came with a collector's edition of Zelda. It also had the best opening logo for any system, ever. Sure, it was nothing compared to the juggernaut that was the PS2, but it held its own quite nicely.