So.. What's with all the Gamecube Hate?

Lim3

Feb 15, 2010
I loved the old GCN. It's controllers wer emore comfortable then xbox and PS2, it was cute, it had mini discs, and it had windwaker and Super smash bros. melee.

No one else liked it much though. I also bought an xbox at the time, but i still loved the companion cube. I mean gamecube.

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
Slimshad said:
So I was talking with my friend about different game systems the other day, and we got to the subject of Wii vs Gamecube. He said that the Wii was honestly better than the Gamecube because the wii was more innovative. I've actually noticed a lot of people either hated the gamecube or considered it the weakest in the nintendo lineup, just because it didn't do anything new.

Anyone else see anything wrong with this argument? Almost everyone that I've talked to who think the gamecube was Nintendo's worst system (which seems to be almost everybody) has used this as their argument. In my opinion, the Gamecube is the best system they've ever put out. It had the best games, and easy-to-use controller, and a generally user-friendly interface. Plus better graphics than what the Wii has currently. I mean whenever I play the wii, I almost always play titles that you can opt out to use a gamecube controller (atleast multiplayer ones), and even the zelda title they released on the wii was better on the gamecube.

The N64 was a good system, but its titles do not compare to the gamecubes on any level (Except for mario titles). Anything the n64 did, the gamecube did better. So why does everyone I talk to consider the gamecube the big N's worst system?
I only owned a gamecube during this era. I think I missed out on Ico, Shadow of Colossus and all of those fantastic Metal Gear Solid sequels - :p - and it was one of the best systems ever in terms of amount of quality content.

Yoshemo

Jun 23, 2009
Gamecube wasn't as good as the N64. But it was still great. That thing got me through middle school alive!

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
I personally didn't like the controller and compared to the Xbox and Ps2, it really didn't have much going for it gamewise besides the first party titles. Hell I think I only own like 5 or 6 games for it, all but 2 being first party, Rogue Squadron and RE1 remake.

esliang

Nov 18, 2009
Back in middle and high school, I had a gamecube, ps2, and xbox. At the time, I had the most games for and the most fun with the gamecube. These days I like to dig out the ps2 more, but I still think the gamecube was a fine system.

Lewieroo0

Feb 2, 2009
I defiantly think that the Gamecube is the most underrated console of it's generation. It's graphics defiantly put some of the Wii's games to shame and it's controller was a hell of alot better than the wii remote. If there was any game that allowed backwards compatibility with controllers i would hands down go with the gamecube controller over the wii remote. Also the Wii graphics never really improved from the gamecube anyway. Not to mention that there weere many memorable games from the Gamecube.

Chibz

Sep 12, 2008
Personally, I hate the Gamecube controller almost as much as I hated the N64's. But that's a nearly inapproachable degree of hate.

Autofaux

Aug 31, 2009
It was the weakest sales wise but that's about it. It's an underrated little system,, and despite never having been a Nintendo fan, per se, I always liked it. I remember when I had to pick between the PS2 and the Gamecube.

Such a long time ago...

DaHero

Jan 10, 2011
ZeZZZZevy said:
I've never heard any such remarks, but I think the Gamecube was alright

It was built like a tank though. You really had to try to break it.
No kidding, mine was struck by lightning...THREE TIMES! and I still play the re-released Ocarina of Time: Master Quest on it.

Nickompoop

Jan 23, 2011
AHA! But the Gamecube did do something new: the Gamecube controller was by far the most comfortable controller of that generation. And it's still more comfortable than the PS3 or Wii controllers.

PortalThinker113

Jul 13, 2010
So glad to see that so many people share this opinion. When I look back and see that many of my favorite games of all time are on the Gamecube, I wonder exactly what causes it to be so overlooked and/or looked down on. Such games include:

Metroid Prime
Pikmin 2
Super Smash Brothers Melee
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (still holding strong as the best Zelda, in my humble opinion)
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (yes, not an exclusive, I know, but I played it on the Cube)

Plus, there are plenty of games that, while not quite is the "best games ever" category, are games that I love and replay often, like Luigi's Mansion. While I think the N64 was better, the Gamecube will always hold a special place in my heart.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
For me, it didn't have a good enough library. However, I had taken a hiatus immediately before and during the entire Gamecube era. This means that I lump Gamecube games and Wii games together, which makes for a pretty good library.

The Gamecube alone, just didn't have much that stood out. There were many decent (and decent here is not synonymous with bad or even mediocre. I generally enjoyed them, but they never hooked me to the point that I wanted to play for long periods of time. And I generally didn't want to replay them). Wind Waker is the only really great Gamecube game for me. I have the Wii version of Twilight Princess, but I guess its fair to count it too.

Zorpheus

Aug 19, 2009
Personally, I thought the N64 was far worse, not counting the abortion that was the Virtual Boy. For every Ocarina of Time, there was a Superman 64.

ObsessiveSketch

Nov 6, 2009
Zelda: Wind Waker
Resident Evil 4
Paper Mario
Eternal Darkness
Luigi's Mansion
Sonic Adventure 2 Battle (the haters can go eat a dick, the Chao Garden is the most brilliant minigame ever devised)
Mario Sunshine
Super Smash Bros Melee
Viewtiful Joe
Metroid Prime

That lineup alone beats the everloving shit out of every Xbox game that isn't Halo. The PS2 had a GINORMOUS games catalog, but the GC was graphically superior. The Wii has some good stuff going for it, Twilight Princess, Mario Galaxy, SSB Brawl; I just don't think it matches up with the Gamecube.

Off-topic: the spellchecker recognizes "ginormous" as a word! lolwut?

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
The gamecube was a fucking beast. I tried to break mine and I sent it down 8 flights, ran over it with a car and then drew a penis on it.

Damn thing came on like "THAT'S ALL YOU GOT *****!?"

The disc on the other hand were small, but I played hitman 2 on it, just fine.

Mr Companion

Jul 27, 2009
The gamecube had the best game lineup of any console to date. Examples: Pikmin 2, Wind Waker, Paper Mario the thousand year door, 13, Metroid Prime, Mario Sunshine had its moments, and a ton of third party titles. The Wii is a little white rectangle I leave alone in the corner of my room because it has no decent games on it besides gimmicky shovelware and a selection of predictable launch titles from Nintendo's standard selection of popular franchises that fail to innovate with each new title and only serve to milk a few extra pennies come a new console generation.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
People hate the Gamecube? It had starfox Adventures! That alone makes it awesome.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Everyone loves the Gamecube... IN RETROSPECT.

Back when it was out, the general consensus was "Nintendo Gamecube is GAY! They make KIDDY games! Gamecube is for KIDS!" In fact, take every complaint about the Wii. Now replace every single use of the "Gimmick" with the word "Kiddy", and that was people's general thoughts on the Gamecube. Of course, I was in late middle school and early high school,but this was before Halo/CoD4 and the casual craze...

But now it's all "Gamecube was AWESOME! It was amazing!" Yeah, singing a different tune now, aren't you? You ever stop to think WHY Nintendo marketed to the casual crowd? Because the so-called "hardcore" crowd hated the Gamecube.