So.. What's with all the Gamecube Hate?

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
Max Wilco said:
I owned a GameCube, and I didn't think there was anything horribly wrong with it. As far as graphical quality goes, I think someone told me the GameCube actually did better than the PS2.
They lied. It was the weakest graphically of it's generation. Xbox being the strongest (although far from best) in that generation.

I have to say I've never understood why anyone likes Nintendo at all. I missed the SNES and NES which is probably why but I played N64 at friends places and it wasn't as good as the first PS.
The Gamecube was, I'm sorry but, a joke. I knew one guy with a GC and he held that it was great but we just laughed. It had no games of interest and looked crap (not the physical console the games) compared to the other two consoles that were available to us.

As an aside, I'm aware that the Dreamcast should fit in there somewhere but I honestly never even heard about it until it had died, all my friends had never heard of them so I don't know where it fits.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Yopaz said:
Madara XIII said:
Slimshad said:
I don't. I absolutely love the Gamecube.

It had

- Viewtiful Joe
- Super Smash Bros. Melee (Better than Brawl)
- Every Legend of Zelda game that was ever on a Console. Yes Twilight Princess was on it
- Mario Kart Double Dash
- RESIDENT EVIL 4!
Agreed. Especially on Super Smash Bros. I've probably played that 10 times more than Brawl.

OT: I always thought the GameCube was a good console, it was a tragedy speaking income for Nintendo or overall public popularity, but it houses some of my favourite games of all time. It could probably have had more storage on the discs, but that's really my only complaint. I liked how it was compact and robust.
I'm just glad the Wii got backward compatibility with GC, and I hope wiiU's backward compatibility supports GameCube games too.
THIS is why Melee beats Brawl Anyday

WOMBO COMBO

<youtube=pD_imYhNoQ4>

shinatomaster

Mar 26, 2009
well, i owned a gamecube and i loved it to pieces, but about how well it resists damage, i have no idea, how are so many of you dropping your consoles, i mean srsly. but yeah amazing titles and many years of fun

Slimshad

Sep 16, 2009
00slash00 said:
in what universe did the gamecube have better titles than the n64?
This one.
Wind Waker is the best zelda title ever made, and twilight princess a close second. Metroid prime blew any previous attempt at FPS out of the water (yes even goldeneye, which had a good multiplayer, but the graphics... were not timeless). Super Mario Sunshine was fantastic, maybe not as iconic as 64, but I had a blast playing it. Pikmin 1 and 2 are my favorite RTS games of all time, and the paper mario sequal trumps every other JRPG known to man. And it had so much more. ICO, eternal darkness, shadow of the colossus.

Plus the best racing game and the best fighting game ever. Period.

This was the other complaint I was hearing a lot around school when I brought the topic up. Why play the gamecube when the n64 and the snes had such better games. I can't understand how anybody can look at the gamecube and say its games were worse. I still play a lot of them now, and I've been killing myself trying to find an affordable copy of pikmin 2 again, as I have lost mine a long time ago.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Gamecube was brilliant in almost every way, unlike the piss poor Wii.

First of all, the controls are possibly the easiest I have ever adjusted too and I didn't need to point it at the fucking screen to select options.

Second, it ran smoothly with all games and the graphics were really good at the time.

And third, game line-up was still great, really loved Metroid Prime and SSB Melee. Not sure I could say it's as good as the N64 line-up though.

A Free Man

May 9, 2010
I have never really thought about the gamecube as a particularly good system but I think I've been a little unfair to it. When I think about it most of the games I actually have played on gamecube I really liked, hell there are probably more games I like on the gamecube then on the ps3.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I loved the good ol' cube, just as the OP said, everything that the N64 did, the Cube did it better, obviously with a few exceptions.

I don't hate the Cube and I have fond memories of it, mainly regarding F-Zero GX (best racing game EVER), Soul Calibur 2 (best 3D fighting game EVER), Eternal Darkness and Zelda Wind Waker, but my good ol' cube broke (!) and it won't read any disks anymore, that's partially one of the main reasons I opted to buy a Wii, so that I could keep playing my good ol' cube games and in 480p no less! (good luck finding those pesky component cables for the cube).

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
usually the way I hear it is the classic, "your ruined it". I.E. You released the Gamecube? N64 is better, your ruined it forever! You released the Wii? Gamecube is better, you ruined it forever! You released the WiiU? Wii is better, you ruined it forever!

The classic cry of the gamer set in his ways. Gamers are prematurely crotchety old men.

ivarsa15

Nov 21, 2009
Seriously? Does people hate the gamecube? Bullshit, that console was awesome! It's my favorite Nintendo console after the N64 and has had an awesome Gamelineup.
The Wii is to me the worst console released by Nintendo right before the Virtual boy; I am inclined to put the 3DS in line, but has sadly not even tested the bloody thing. Fuck 3D and motion controls.

RuralGamer

Jan 1, 2011
I never owned a Gamecube, but spent my last year of High School playing on in our common room; sure, we didn't have the best selection of games (Super Smash Bros and Mario Kart were the only permanent fixtures), but we had plenty of fun playing them MP. The selection of games weren't my cup of tea overall, but it was a decent enough system and I enjoyed it. Can't say I had any particular dislikes to it.

Tonimata

Jul 21, 2008
ZeZZZZevy said:
I've never heard any such remarks, but I think the Gamecube was alright

It was built like a tank though. You really had to try to break it.
Trust me, I tried and failed :(

KelsieKatt

May 14, 2008
In terms of Nintendo consoles I list them in the following order.

1. Super Nintendo
2. Nintendo 64
3. NES
4. Gamecube
5. Wii

In general, I don't actually have a lot of games on the Wii at all and find the system to be a pile of crap. There's just barely enough that I bought one, and even then, if it weren't backwards compatible with the Gamecube, I wouldn't have one at all.

Gamecube was certainly better in my opinion, but it was also the brick wall that Nintendo hit where they drop way behind the competition and went from being a AAA company to just average.

Where as the Super Nintendo is still one of my favorite consoles of all time.

Brutal Peanut

This is so freakin aweso-BLARGH!
Oct 15, 2010
You know, I've never heard any real 'hate' about the Gamecube from friends/acquaintances since it's release. Except maybe some general dislike for the controller design,.. but it wasn't something they continuously brought up.

I thought it was a good little system and have some fond memories of playing on it.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
Slimshad said:
00slash00 said:
in what universe did the gamecube have better titles than the n64?
This one.
Wind Waker is the best zelda title ever made, and twilight princess a close second. Metroid prime blew any previous attempt at FPS out of the water (yes even goldeneye, which had a good multiplayer, but the graphics... were not timeless). Super Mario Sunshine was fantastic, maybe not as iconic as 64, but I had a blast playing it. Pikmin 1 and 2 are my favorite RTS games of all time, and the paper mario sequal trumps every other JRPG known to man. And it had so much more. ICO, eternal darkness, shadow of the colossus.

Plus the best racing game and the best fighting game ever. Period.

This was the other complaint I was hearing a lot around school when I brought the topic up. Why play the gamecube when the n64 and the snes had such better games. I can't understand how anybody can look at the gamecube and say its games were worse. I still play a lot of them now, and I've been killing myself trying to find an affordable copy of pikmin 2 again, as I have lost mine a long time ago.
youre aware that ico and shadow of the colossus were ps2, not gamecube, right?

wind waker is the zelda game that made me turn away from the series, i couldnt stand it. it wasnt the graphics, i was fine with the graphics, but once it sent me on a scavenger hunt for the triforce pieces i was done. ive actually never met anyone who picked it out as their favorite. i also havent heard of anyone who thought sunshine was the best mario game. metroid prime games were good but couldnt hold a candle to super metroid, and i struggle to think of any gamecube exclusives that i absolutely loved. by racing and fighting i assume you mean mario kart and melee. melee was was good but i honestly prefered mario kart 64 to double dash. i dont know what it was but something about double dash just rubbed me the wrong way

dont get me wrong, i had fun with my gamecube. its just that all the gamecube games i really liked were either remakes or available on ps2 and xbox as well, and i just had so much more fun with my n64.

i would certainly take the gamecube over the wii though

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
Mischlings said:
Nalgas D. Lemur said:
I'm another non-hater. It was my favorite console of that generation, and I still like it more than the Wii. I guess it'd be hard to argue for it being better than their earlier stuff, but even though third-party support was minimal, the games it did have were great, and it had the best controller Nintendo's ever made (and still one of my favorites anyone's made).
I really agree on the controller. Until I got used to the 360 controller, the Gamecube controller was my favorite by a mile (I have never liked the layout of analog sticks on PS1/2/3 controllers).
Exactly my feelings, too. The 360 controller is also now my current favorite, because most stuff about it is pretty good aside from the terrible excuse for a d-pad. I actually have one 360 controller and one GC controller hooked up to my PC these days for things that work better with them. Kind of neat playing a GC game in an emulator with the original controller without having to dig out the console itself to hook it up.

Sony's controllers have always bugged me for the same reason as you, too, which seems to mostly be a personal preference thing, but they just feel more awkwardly placed. They also have some strange ability to make d-pads that give me blisters even faster than the sharp-edged NES ones did...

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
It was more powerful than the PS2, had tons of great exclusive games, and my favorite controller of that generation. It was a great system. The only downside is that, for some reason, all the great multiplatform games started being released only on the Xbox and PS2 after a while; I still don't know why. But it was a great system, and I don't understand all the hate either.

EDIT: Also, Super Smash Bros. Melee. I literally spent hundreds of hours on that game. Amazing.