So, will you be participating in "Ceasefire friday"?

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I don't really play shooters but maybe I will on general principle just to counter that Friday thing.

chiggerwood

Lurker Extrordinaire
May 10, 2009
Honestly I see this "No Shooter Friday" bullshit as nothing more than mass masturbation; a meaningless act meant only to make those who participate feel good without having to do any actual work. It reeks of modern hedonism. If you want to do it fine, but please drop all pretension and have an orgy. Who knows if you do that then you might replenish the human lives lost from the recent tragedy. Besides I just bought Spec ops: The Line, Shadow Warrior, and One Unit Whole Blood like hell I'm not going to have fun.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Definitely not. I may not be actually be playing any games on friday, but that will be because I'm working during the day then going out at night, not because it's "no shooter friday". If I was wanting to pay my respects to the victims of the tragedy concerned, I'd do that by actually paying my respects to them in some way that made sense, not by foregoing some form of entertainment based on the sentiments of some random group of individuals.

On that topic, maybe this would be the perfect opportunity to make some progress on my currently in limbo Borderlands 2 playthrough.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
kman123 said:
Where the fuck did this idea come from? Why the fuck should we do this? Games have nothing to do with the shooting.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.396449-Call-Goes-Out-For-Shooter-Cease-Fire?page=1

This seemingly unknown/Not very well-known group presented the idea a few days ago.

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
Bocaj2000 said:
-video snip-
Singularly Datarific said:
It's not a blame of video games.
It's saying that maybe using mass murder with guns as entertainment might not be in very good taste given recent events, and it might do some good to raise awareness that the real use of these things isn't so happy.
For me, I think I'll be playing Recettear.
Please forgive me ahead of time for getting mad about this.

Google "Syria" go to the news section, and feast your eyes.

If that's not enough, now google "Syria children", feast your eyes again.

If you can't be arsed to do that, I'll highlight a few headlines.

"Syrian refugee children are dying"

"Children in Syria are paying a very high price"

"Syrian refugee camps filled with child deaths."

"6 children killed by Car bomb"

"10 Children killed by cluster bomb."

^And all that? Took place in less than a month from today. And this has been going on for years.
I've seen literal videos of these things happening. You can search this stuff for yourself, if you can stomach it, and see with your own eyes.

So I ask you, I ask ANYONE who is taking part in this 'ceasefire'. Why now? Were you aware of what is happening in Syria? And if you were, did you even once consider 'showing respect' by not playing violent videogames?

Seems to me like you're picking and choosing exactly which horrendous tragic event to "show respect to".

I know you people mean well by taking part in this gesture. I'm not trying to attack or tear down any of you. But I can't help but look at this gesture, and feel grossly offended, because of all the tragedies of the exact same kind taking place worldwide, and not even acknowledging them.

So in my defense, this isn't me being some heartless spiteful bastard that cannot give up his violent videogames. This is me looking at this gesture/movement/whathaveyou, and thinking it is asinine.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
ResonanceSD said:
This Friday, I'll be playing the goriest game I can find, and then continuing my life as a perfectly well adjusted human being with no intent to murder.
Shame you can't buy Manhunt 2 anymore (or at least the AO version), or I'd say get that. I picked it up back when it was still D2D. I'm not playing any online shooters, but that is solely because after work tomorrow, I'll probably go home and play RAGE or Metroid Prime all night. Just started playing through both of them again.

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
I probably won't be playing any shooters on Friday, not because of this but because I don't play many shooters at the moment anyway. If I did I would continue to do so as if nothing had happened.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Tohuvabohu said:
Bocaj2000 said:
-video snip-
Singularly Datarific said:
It's not a blame of video games.
It's saying that maybe using mass murder with guns as entertainment might not be in very good taste given recent events, and it might do some good to raise awareness that the real use of these things isn't so happy.
For me, I think I'll be playing Recettear.
Please forgive me ahead of time for getting mad about this.

Google "Syria" go to the news section, and feast your eyes.

If that's not enough, now google "Syria children", feast your eyes again.

If you can't be arsed to do that, I'll highlight a few headlines.

"Syrian refugee children are dying"

"Children in Syria are paying a very high price"

"Syrian refugee camps filled with child deaths."

"6 children killed by Car bomb"

"10 Children killed by cluster bomb."

^And all that? Took place in less than a month from today. And this has been going on for years.
I've seen literal videos of these things happening. You can search this stuff for yourself, if you can stomach it, and see with your own eyes.

So I ask you, I ask ANYONE who is taking part in this 'ceasefire'. Why now? Were you aware of what is happening in Syria? And if you were, did you even once consider 'showing respect' by not playing violent videogames?

Seems to me like you're picking and choosing exactly which horrendous tragic event to "show respect to".

I know you people mean well by taking part in this gesture. I'm not trying to attack or tear down any of you. But I can't help but look at this gesture, and feel grossly offended, because of all the tragedies of the exact same kind taking place worldwide, and not even acknowledging them.

So in my defense, this isn't me being some heartless spiteful bastard that cannot give up his violent videogames. This is me looking at this gesture/movement/whathaveyou, and thinking it is asinine.
That is what is sad. If it didn't happen in 'Merica, then it doesn't matter, but if it does happen here, the entire world is supposed to feel sorry for us.

Maze1125

Oct 14, 2008
Tohuvabohu said:
And when do you acknowledge them?
Are you currently volunteering in those countries in order to reduce their suffering? Are you donating significant amounts of your income to people who are volunteering there? Are you doing anything at all?
Or do you just use it as a useful "gotcha!" when people start caring about events that happen in their own country? So you can go "Oh you care about those children do you? Well what about THESE?!?" as your excuse to not care about any of them?

You feel grossly offended do you? What right do you have to feel grossly offended on behalf of anyone? At least those people care about SOMETHING rather than constantly looking for excuses to care about nothing.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
Tohuvabohu said:
Good question.
Unless the players think that videogames and the school massacre are somehow related, there's no good reason to start now.

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
Assassin Xaero said:
That is what is sad. If it didn't happen in 'Merica, then it doesn't matter, but if it does happen here, the entire world is supposed to feel sorry for us.
I'd hate to pull that card. But it does, in a way, seem to be like this. Not that what happened here isn't a tragedy, I just wish these people would realize that this sort of horror is what other parts of the world have been going through on a daily basis for years.

Maze1125 said:
And when do you acknowledge them?
Are you currently volunteering in those countries in order to reduce their suffering? Are you donating significant amounts of your income to people who are volunteering there? Are you doing anything at all?
Or do you just use it as a useful "gotcha!" when people start caring about events that happen in their own country? So you can go "Oh you care about those children do you? Well what about THESE?!?" as your excuse to not care about any of them?

You feel grossly offended do you? What right do you have to feel grossly offended on behalf of anyone? At least those people care about SOMETHING rather than constantly looking for excuses to care about nothing.
En guarde, Maze. I actually come from parts unknown that is currently being torn apart by violence, the sort of violence that a certain country in this world has a direct hand in.
What right do I have to feel grossly offended? Maybe because this sort of 'respect' was not given to my family. In fact, not a single fuck ever seemed to be given.

As for what I did, I did what mass media didn't. Raise awareness.
I watched every video I could to understand and take in every ounce of horror and misery the Syrians are going through with my own eyes, since YEARS back. Way before I ever heard a peep of it on mass media. And I told everyone I could. I mentioned it to everyone, so they could mention it to everyone, I talked about it online with strangers - all of which never knew about it. Until finally, the media picked up on it. Of course I don't take sole responsibility that the world is more or less aware of what's happening in Syria. But I tried.

So I'm sorry if I take this sort of subject very personally. Or perhaps you're going to tell me I don't have a right to?

Wolf In A Bear Suit

Jun 2, 2012
I'll probably be playing shooters. It's not a form of protest against this idea, I just really don't care enough to stop playing, for a stupid cause that achieves absolutely nothing. It simply validates the opinions of ignorant fools who believe games are responsible. As I said it's not for these reasons I'll play shooters, I just don't care.

Maze1125

Oct 14, 2008
Tohuvabohu said:
En guarde, Maze. I actually come from parts unknown that is currently being torn apart by violence, the sort of violence that a certain country in this world has a direct hand in.
What right do I have to feel grossly offended? Maybe because this sort of 'respect' was not given to my family. In fact, not a single fuck ever seemed to be given.

As for what I did, I did what mass media didn't. Raise awareness.
I watched every video I could to understand and take in every ounce of horror and misery the Syrians are going through with my own eyes, since YEARS back. Way before I ever heard a peep of it on mass media. And I told everyone I could. I mentioned it to everyone, so they could mention it to everyone, I talked about it online with strangers - all of which never knew about it. Until finally, the media picked up on it. Of course I don't take sole responsibility that the world is more or less aware of what's happening in Syria. But I tried.

So I'm sorry if I take this sort of subject very personally. Or perhaps you're going to tell me I don't have a right to?
Oh yes, of course. That's totally believable.
As is the fact that you see other countries having misfortune as a challenge for you to one-up with your own misery, and the fact that your goal of "raising awareness" is posting about it passively aggressively on a gaming internet forum in a topic about an unrelated tragedy.

Yep, I can really see I was in the wrong now.

Let's assume, for a moment, that you're telling the truth.
You care about Syrians because you grew up there, right?
So what right do you have to tell Americans that they shouldn't be caring about American children dying because there are Syrian children dying?

And, quite frankly, why would anyone who's suffered like you claim to, try and fight against people trying to care about children dying?

Cyfu

Nov 25, 2010
No, I will play the game I want to play.
To be honest, I don't really see the point of this.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Tohuvabohu said:
Assassin Xaero said:
I'd hate to pull that card. But it does, in a way, seem to be like this. Not that what happened here isn't a tragedy, I just wish these people would realize that this sort of horror is what other parts of the world have been going through on a daily basis for years.
Pretty much. Some guy posted something about it on Facebook and I mentioned how their are, who knows how many, kids dying in Africa each day from various different causes, and he responded "but did those kids die in school?". It was honestly the most pathetic thing I've ever read.

Varrdy

Feb 25, 2010
Well I am working Friday from 0600hrs to 1800hrs. Once I am home, fed and watered it should be around 1900hrs. As I will have to be up in the morning at 0430hrs the following morning I will be in bed by 2200hrs. This leaves me but 3 hours for gaming and considering my current gaming sessions are Skyrim (PC) and WWE12 (XBox) it seems I will be technially taking part, even though I don't want to.

Out of spite, I might dust off GTA 4 tomorrow!

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Maybe people just want to fill that time they spend gaming for one day with other things out of respect for the victims. I won't be participating (at least not on purpose), but people can do what they want. If you choose to eschew gaming for a day and instead volunteer at a charity or shelter of some kind, then I give you props.

It's not about admission of guilt. You guys think about the Fox News types way too much. They can bellow all they like, but they're losing ground and not gaining it. I'm pretty sure the people participating in this aren't thinking about those people, but are instead thinking about the victims. It's just an excuse to do some good for a day.

Smolderin

Feb 5, 2012
Erm.....probably not. Though I know by doing so isn't an admission of guilt...other people such as the media will see it so and just not get it, so I don't see the point. Then again this all probably pales in the fact that I almost have no shooters so I might unintentionally be going along with this....but it's not like I will go out of my way and play Far Cry 3 just to spite what is being done here. The intentions are good, so there is no reason to disrespect that.