So, will you be participating in "Ceasefire friday"?

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
Tohuvabohu said:
So I ask you, I ask ANYONE who is taking part in this 'ceasefire'. Why now? Were you aware of what is happening in Syria? And if you were, did you even once consider 'showing respect' by not playing violent videogames?
Because the time is ripe. The world is listening to us now. They are looking to us, the gaming community, for reactions and opinions. They have never done that before.

Yes. And it pains me far more than, hopefully, you will ever know.

No, this particular act would not have occurred to me. I don't play the relevant games and don't typically associate with people who do, for the very reasons this show of charity and solidarity needs to happen.

flamdunk

Dec 17, 2009
Well, considering the fact that I just found a copy of Metal Arms: Glitch in the System yesterday, and it's a TPS, and I have wanted to play this game for so long, you can probably guess my answer.

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
Maze1125 said:
Oh yes, of course. That's totally believable.
As is the fact that you see other countries having misfortune as a challenge for you to one-up with your own misery, and the fact that your goal of "raising awareness" is posting about it passively aggressively on a gaming internet forum in a topic about an unrelated tragedy.
No actually, that time has passed and I don't do it anymore since awareness has been raised. This is something else entirely. And I used Syria as an example because it is pretty much the same horrors as the Sandy Hook shooting, and as a singular example of things happening worldwide, for a much longer time, and in worse circumstances.

Yep, I can really see I was in the wrong now.

Let's assume, for a moment, that you're telling the truth.
You care about Syrians because you grew up there, right?
So what right do you have to tell Americans that they shouldn't be caring about American children dying because there are Syrian children dying?

And, quite frankly, why would anyone who's suffered like you claim to, try and fight against people trying to care about children dying?
Man you really think I'm lying, huh? I have no reason to lie to you, Maze.

What REALLY bothers me about this, is what I highlighted there. In my eyes, that phrase implies to me that it's okay for Americans to not care about worldwide problems, because they're not American problems. Are other human being not worth showing respect to, because they're not from where you are?

Besides, I'm not fighting against people trying to care about children dying. You people are free to do what you want, I never said you should stop what you're trying to do. I even said I wasn't trying to attack anyone. I said all that earlier to preface a question that I genuinely wanted a comprehensible answer to:
Tohuvabohu said:
So I ask you, I ask ANYONE who is taking part in this 'ceasefire'. Why now? Were you aware of what is happening in Syria? And if you were, did you even once consider 'showing respect' by not playing violent videogames?
EDIT:

2xDouble said:
Tohuvabohu said:
Because the time is ripe. The world is listening to us now. They are looking to us, the gaming community, for reactions and opinions. They have never done that before.

Yes. And it pains me far more than, hopefully, you will ever know.

No, this particular act would not have occurred to me. I don't play the relevant games and don't typically associate with people who do, for the very reasons this show of charity and solidarity needs to happen.
I see. I think I understand then.

This is the kind of answer I was looking for. I still wish the Ceasefire event would aim higher and acknowledge worldwide violence, and worldwide gun problems. But that's just my opinion.

Man... just think about it. Imagine if it wasn't just that one guy in that video condemning violence. I could tell he's sincere in his speaking. But just imagine if he was joined by dozens of other people. Gamers of all different kinds of ethnicity, and nationalities, all speaking together to condemn violence, perhaps in their own native languages even - All banding together because of one thing they have in common, they're gamers. How incredible would such a gesture be?

Sadly, it is still my belief that what Ceasefire is currently aiming for, is just not enough.

Thanks for taking the time to try to make me understand, 2x. Believe it or not, I appreciate it.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
Shoggoth2588 said:
What I don't understand is why so many people are openly hostile against this thing! We all know there isn't any correlation between the shooting and video games. There are just some people among the gaming community who chose to show respect to the victims, survivors, etc by not playing shooting games that day. Why should that incur so much wrath from the people who chose to play shooters that day anyway?! It's obvious that the no-fire day or whatever it's called isn't going to DO anything, it's not MEANT to do anything! It's just a sign of respect and it's one that I will be participating in.
Because it looks like an admission of causation and guilt. If it was any other kind of gesture, even as broad a gesture as to say not playing ANY games, I'd be less hostile toward it. However, it's not. It directly says shooters (which I don't especially like anyway) which are the usual target for right wing agenda pushing when it comes to video games these days. People who have a grudge against video games will use this against us. They will see it as an admission of guilt.

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Bocaj2000 said:
This video might put things in perspective and give this idea some respect:
snip
J-e-f-f-e-r-s, I see that you're sincere in your convictions and I have nothing but respect for that. Ditto the guy in the video.

However, I *won't* be taking part in No Shooter Friday and hopefully I can explain why.

Basically, in my opinion, videogames don't condone, encourage, or cause real-life violence. Videogames, even ones that are competitive, visceral, or elicit a sometimes aggressive response form the player (god knows I've sworn, cursed, thrown the controller and punched the air enough times playing Xbox LIVE), are not related to real-life violence. So, to me, not playing my favourite sci-fi aliens-and-laser-guns FPS tomorrow would have all the revelance of, say, wearing pink socks, or holding my breath for two minutes.

If some people want to make a public mark of respect then by all means; more power to them. That's their choice. But personally, I just don't see the point. Why should I stop enjoying playing games with my friends? It serves no real purpose and veers dangerously close to being slacktivism - much like those "share this picture of a starving orphan and 'Like' if you'd give him food" chainmail thingies on Facebook, it doesn't actually address the cause, lets people feel good about themselves with no real expenditure of money or effort, and actually diverts attention (and crucially, donations) from legitimate charities and lobbying organisations.

So, that's why I'm nonplussed about No Shooter Friday. I mean no disrespect to whoever is taking part, but if you've really been touched by the recent school shooting, I'd urge you to take REAL action as well. Lend your voice to anti-gun lobbying groups. Attend a rally or march if one is in your area, and next time you vote for a politician, be sure to find out what their stance is on gun control. Sentiments are nice, but action is what will actually prevent this from happening again.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Games like this, on the other hand...

ResonanceSD said:
So the rationale is this.

Games were blamed for the Newtown massacre.

Therefore, I won't play any shooters on Friday because of the obvious rule that correlation = causation that we all know is correct.

Many gamers are doing this. That's fine, I can't stop them.

However, why would you do this? isn't it a tacit admission that we think games are a problem?

This Friday, I'll be playing the goriest game I can find, and then continuing my life as a perfectly well adjusted human being with no intent to murder.
...represent the very worst of gaming culture. I mean it. As far as I'm concerned, this is as low as you can go.

Gamers like you, Resonance SD, base your entire logic off a broken assumption: that by refusing to play online shooters, we admit guilt in the cause of the event.
I said this in another post but since you went on so obscenely long about it, I'll comment to you directly to.

Are we admitting guilt if this event happens? No. Will Bill O'Riely say that this is an admission by gamers that violent games caused this atrocity. Yes, without a doubt. The next time there's a congressional hearing or supreme court case on this subject, will this day come up as circumstantial evidence of a causality link? Probably.

Why will these things occur? Because of the specificity. They were shootings, there's shooting games, therefore we shouldn't play shooting games and it points the finger at a very specific object which was already going to be the first target for the people who want something to blame. It's not a day to not play any games and do something for the families. It's not a day to stay home from work and think of the victims. It's not a day to make a care package to help the survivors. It's a day not to play shooters because people got shot. The people who thought this day up thought with their gut, not their head and it makes something that was totally unrelated to the event look like it bears responsibility.

Yes, the gesture is wonderful, but we needed to treat lightly here and no one did. Not the people who suggested the idea, not the people who support the idea, not the people who oppose the idea, and not the spiteful sociopaths who are gonna play Manhunt all day tomorrow. The gaming culture needs to start thinking more like a politician, especially when we know our ass is gonna be held to the fire after something like what happened.

Grunt_Man11

Mar 15, 2011
Tohuvabohu said:
Bocaj2000 said:
Please forgive me ahead of time for getting mad about this.

Google "Syria" go to the news section, and feast your eyes.

If that's not enough, now google "Syria children", feast your eyes again.

If you can't be arsed to do that, I'll highlight a few headlines.

"Syrian refugee children are dying"

"Children in Syria are paying a very high price"

"Syrian refugee camps filled with child deaths."

"6 children killed by Car bomb"

"10 Children killed by cluster bomb."

^And all that? Took place in less than a month from today. And this has been going on for years.
I've seen literal videos of these things happening. You can search this stuff for yourself, if you can stomach it, and see with your own eyes.

Seems to me like you're picking and choosing exactly which horrendous tragic event to "show respect to".

I know you people mean well by taking part in this gesture. I'm not trying to attack or tear down any of you. But I can't help but look at this gesture, and feel grossly offended, because of all the tragedies of the exact same kind taking place worldwide, and not even acknowledging them.

So in my defense, this isn't me being some heartless spiteful bastard that cannot give up his violent videogames. This is me looking at this gesture/movement/whathaveyou, and thinking it is asinine.
Couldn't have said it better myself... but I'll add something of my own after this.
This is the truth.
He may have had good intentions, but in the end his good deed immediately morphs into an ugly act of self-importance.

With that said here is my two cents on this whole blaming video games and guns for the tragedy.
This is a comment I made on a article about a little girl's letter to Obama asking for more gun control. I think it applies to those blaming games too. Since, it addresses our obsession with blaming inanimate, and/or virtual, things for the bad acts of people.

I'm sorry for this girl's loss. I'm sorry for the traumatizing tragedy she had to endure.

However, she is blaming the wrong thing for it. A gun is just an inanimate object. It can't be hateful, cruel, or evil. It's just an object. It's not alive. It doesn't have free will. A person is, and a person does.

So why do we blame things for the acts of a person? The answer is: human arrogance.

We have become so arrogance and sure of our own alleged superiority that we can't even conceive of the fact that humans can be defective. So, we blame something else whenever a person proves how defective we can be.
We blame guns, television, comic books, video games, Dungeons and Dragons, or whatever easy scape goat we can find. After all, these things can't defend themselves against persecution.

We incorrectly believe that humanity equals perfection. The harsh truth is that humanity is the biggest and most blatant example of imperfection in the world, and probably the universe.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
Batou667 said:
It serves no real purpose and veers dangerously close to being slacktivism
I'd say this is a perfect example of slacktivism.
Not doing anything. Worse, not playing some game in your house won't even register anywhere.

You have the right idea: do something that actually helps.

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
It seams like an empty gesture to try and make people feel better about themselves for not doing anything. It's like hitting the "Like" button on a Myspace or Facebook or whatever page that says "Help Africa." It's not helping and your less likely to actually help. So no. I might give to a worthy charity or something, but as I see it this serves only to make those involved feel better about them self's.

Edit.
veloper said:
Batou667 said:
It serves no real purpose and veers dangerously close to being slacktivism
I'd say this is a perfect example of slacktivism.
Not doing anything. Worse, not playing some game in your house won't even register anywhere.

You have the right idea: do something that actually helps.
Thank you I didn't know there was a word for it. Yeah that, I can have pink socks to "show my support" for breast cancer but in the end, I didn't do anything. If I want to help I should help, not throw and empty gesture out.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Dude spoiler your long posts.

Also, My reasons are still valid.

1) Mainstream media will see this as an admission that gamers think that games cause violence.

2) It's perfectly possible to play violent games and not act like, well, a murderous lunatic.

3) No amount of ridiculous posturing by gamers in any country (hint, I'm not American and couldn't care any less about your country) will fix the 18th century stance your country has towards civillian firearm ownership and it's effects.

Eddie the head said:
It seams like an empty gesture to try and make people feel better about themselves for not doing anything. It's like hitting the "Like" button on a Myspace or Facebook or whatever page that says "Help Africa." It's not helping and your less likely to actually help. So no. I might give to a worthy charity or something, but as I see it this serves only to make those involved feel better about them self's.

this is indeed, the Kony 2012 of our hobby.

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
Nouw said:
Err source? I haven't heard of 'no shooter Friday' anywhere. In fact, I did a google search and it comes back to this thread. Regardless, I'll be continuing on with my life as usual. I'll play Halo 4 for a bit, there's a month-long challenge you see.
I hadn't heard of it, either. Not before this thread.

I won't be participating in 'No Shoot Friday' on purpose, but on mere coincidence. I don't really play shooters. I play Action-Adventure, Action Rythmn, Puzzle, Platformer and (J)RPG games. If I do Play a shooter, it's never first person(Okay I have Dishonored but that's literally the only first person game I have, and I never used long ranged weaponry other than for trophies), I prefer more third person in my shooters. That said, the only Third-Person Shooter I have would be Resident Evil 6. Which, ironically, rarely has me using guns. I run around killing shit with the knife/stun rod/fist fighting. Unless I'm playing certain characters(I'm looking at you, Helena/Piers/Ada >>)

Basic synopsis: I probably will, by sheer coincidence of the fact that I hardly, if ever, play a shooter of any kind.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
Nouw said:
Easton Dark said:
I am playing Orks... which strangely enough have the best ranged unit in the game.
Objection, a tactical marine squad armed with max. rocket launchers is the best ranged unit xD. The unit you mention, which one is that?
The Flash Gitz!

There is not one ranged unit in the game that can compare to the firepower those guys can lay down. Two (max) squads of those can gun down the non-tank super units in less than 15 seconds.

If you don't use flight units to get behind the ork lines and engage the gitz in melee, I'm not sure how you'd beat an Ork rush.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Easton Dark said:
Nouw said:
Easton Dark said:
I am playing Orks... which strangely enough have the best ranged unit in the game.
Objection, a tactical marine squad armed with max. rocket launchers is the best ranged unit xD. The unit you mention, which one is that?
The Flash Gitz!

There is not one ranged unit in the game that can compare to the firepower those guys can lay down. Two (max) squads of those can gun down the non-tank super units in less than 15 seconds.

If you don't use flight units to get behind the ork lines and engage the gitz in melee, I'm not sure how you'd beat an Ork rush.
Oh god, bad memories coming back >.>. While they are counterable, nothing a squad of max. Assault Marines can't handle, it's pretty damn hard. As much as I hate going against them, I love using them when playing as an Ork.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Nouw said:
Easton Dark said:
Nouw said:
Easton Dark said:
The Flash Gitz!

Oh god, bad memories coming back >.>. While they are counterable, nothing a squad of max. Assault Marines can't handle, it's pretty damn hard. As much as I hate going against them, I love using them when playing as an Ork.

Can you get assault terminators in that game?

Yes, we've turned a thread about playing whatever the hell you want on Friday into "what's the best way to massacre a mob of orks?"