So you are transported back to the dark ages...

zidine100

Mar 19, 2009
die fairly quickly. Ill put it bluntly id be considered a mad beggar if i was lucky, you will have no currency, VERY limited vocabulary so no jobs for you, no friends/ family, no home or logings. In other words, i would starve and die fairly quickly if im lucky enough to not be accused for being a witch for talking in 'tongues' and wearing weird 'evil looking' clothes, or catch some deadly disease.

So yeah that would be a death sentence.

kommando367

Oct 9, 2008
Loot, pillage, and rape everything until I either create a time paradox or get killed.
I can't think of a better time in history to go batshit insane, especially since I'd be coming from the future.

A Satanic Panda

Nov 5, 2009
Nuttydwarf said:
I'd teach native americans farming and try to reinvent the engine and give it to native americans as well. teheheh, it would be fun to see what happens when the first of the European ships begin to arrive >:)
I think you need to brush up on just how advanced the natives were. You'd be really surprised. The only reason Eurpoe could colonize it was because Small Pox wiped out, literally, 99% of the population in the Americas at the time.

Besides, civilization knew how to farm land before they all left Africa.

OT: I could lay down Ohm's law for them, gravity and magnetism, theory of sound, microbes, genetic evolution, and scientific method. You know, highschool stuff.

kannibus

Sep 21, 2009
Razor. Need to have shaved vaginas for all the chaste young maids.

Captcha: toe-curling.

Baby, you have no idea...

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
Simple: Pull a Griffith and get together a mercenary band which, by using tactical knowledge and some charisma, will eventually allow me have some small measure of a comfortable existence and possibly even allow me to gain some measure of power/influence in some circles.

Yes, a man whose tactics don't include 'Running towards the enemy with swords drawn screaming at the top of your lungs" is probably going to screw the dark ages up something fierce if i actually manage to successfully take over a kingdom but fuck it. I'm stuck here, and i might as well make the most of it.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
I'd be dead within 3 Months because of my Diabetes. Also, the first thing I would do if I was instantly transported to the Dark ages would be shouting a huge ton of expletives because the Dark Ages stink.

The best I could do is write a novel or invent Comics. I'm not a builder, I am terrible with Technological Repairs, and my main field is more political/artistic, not inventing.

BaronUberstein

Jul 14, 2011
Well first, I panic, because I know both that I am effectively speaking like a crazy person with my modern version of English AND introducing plenty of diseases that the future has that they didn't have back then.

I could probably help them with SOME technology, maybe introduce them to cannons earlier since I know how those historically developed. "Hey guys, get some gunpowder from China and give it to the bellmakers. Tell them to get cracking."

I could probably introduce steam power, or the idea of the assembly line. And most of my historical knowledge starts around 1836...

Of course that's assuming I don't end up in a life of poverty because I'm a random guy spouting crazy nonsense about technology. Oh, and I'd certainly have to make up a new last name, I doubt "La France" is going to sit well with any english-speaking societies back then.

=y

May 11, 2012
Erana said:
This is a very grim situation for women. At best, anything I came up with would prolly be stolen by a man. :/
This is true. Or, if they saw you being transported there you'd be treated as a witch or some abomination. Not liking the thought of getting roasted alive...

OT: I'm likely not going to reinvent anything. On the off chance I don't get enslaved instantly and evade capture long enough to fall into the favor of some court... I don't know what I could build or do to keep some noble from getting bored and throwing me off a cliff.

At the very best I'm looking at maybe becoming a poet or court entertainer. But that's a hazardous occupation.

So yeah, I'd probably try to get to North America or die trying. Different culture sure but if I can be accepted I'd be better off.

Anyone have any ideas about crossing the Atlantic by yourself? With no modern technology?

Yeah, I'm dead.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Depends where I am I guess. If I get sent to dark ages England I might be able to communicate roughly with them. But trusting my luck I will get sent to dark ages Australia. If I don't die of exposure, starvation or thirst, I might be able to join an Aboriginal clan. Not much I can help them with, some basic medical stuff. I might be able to invent the bow and arrow for them, so that might be cool.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
=y said:
Erana said:
This is a very grim situation for women. At best, anything I came up with would prolly be stolen by a man. :/
This is true. Or, if they saw you being transported there you'd be treated as a witch or some abomination. Not liking the thought of getting roasted alive...
Man, what's with people quoting me and telling me I'd be burned at the stake? What, do I seem like I'd go good with barbeque or something? D:

Doneeee

Dec 27, 2011
I bring all of my modern day money, somehow convert it to medevil coins and BUY ALL THE HOOKERS. Okay all joking aside I'd bring a laptop and show them all the crazy shit we have today. Maybe I'll download some medevil RTS and tell them I'm a god and that I'll wreck their civilization if they don't bow to me.

TheMann

Jul 13, 2010
Well, I'd hopefully be wearing this tee-shirt:
And yes, I would take all the credit. If I did manage to get back to the present, I would enjoy reading about myself in history books.

Nuttydwarf

May 15, 2012
A Satanic Panda said:
Nuttydwarf said:
I'd teach native americans farming and try to reinvent the engine and give it to native americans as well. teheheh, it would be fun to see what happens when the first of the European ships begin to arrive >:)
I think you need to brush up on just how advanced the natives were. You'd be really surprised. The only reason Eurpoe could colonize it was because Small Pox wiped out, literally, 99% of the population in the Americas at the time.

Besides, civilization knew how to farm land before they all left Africa.

OT: I could lay down Ohm's law for them, gravity and magnetism, theory of sound, microbes, genetic evolution, and scientific method. You know, highschool stuff.
Actually you need to, but it's also my fault for not being specific of what area because in truth it actually depended on the tribe/area. Also a. it was not just small pox, although it did play a major part, it was not the only factor, b. it's actually more like between 40%-65% (it's still debated even today) with that percentage being shared with a number of other diseases that the native americans did not have a immunity to, and c. other factors include (but not in order of): destruction of primary food supply, guns, advancing foreign settlements, differences in culture; with the big three being Destruction of primary food supply, Diseases, and Guns(or differences of technology, if you prefer).

I would've of started giving you numbers but it's been a couple years since I took my Native American History and Culture course and I can not trust myself on giving the correct information

Edit: I went back and Edited my original post to change it to what area. Note: most plains Native Americans were Hunter-gather tribes (i.e. they followed the mass buffalo migration) with a few cases of tribes that were able to farm.