Soccer World Cup Teams Given Anime Girl Mascots

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Soccer World Cup Teams Given Anime Girl Mascots

There isn't an anime about the Soccer World Cup, but if there was, we'd imagine it would look something like this.

There are very few things that can't be improved with the addition of anime girls, and these fantastic anime girl representations of the 32 Soccer World Cup teams is proof of that. One stunning artist has done his best to imagine what each team would look like if an anime girl was representing them, and I have to say, he's done a pretty good job. Nice, little touches, such as the cheese hat on Switzerland, or Asuka making an appearance as Germany's mascot, really help bring the girls to life.

There (currently) isn't an anime about the World Cup, but if there was, we'd imagine it would look something like this:

[gallery=2805]

As an Aussie, I was particularly happy with the Socceroos anime girl, but the French, Mexican and Swiss girls are definitely among my favorites. A few are a little on the offensive side, but most of them are in pretty good taste.

I'm not really a sports guy, so I haven't been too interested in the competition, but if someone were to make an anime featuring these kick-ass mascots, I'd probably be more inclined to watch.

Source: Rocket News 24 [http://www.pixiv.net/member.php?id=596139]

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
It was somewhat amusing to see Asuka representing Germany lol. Belgium is probably my favourite overall.

Plasmadamage

Jul 24, 2012
Something very... Trigger-ish about these designs. Still, gotta love the UK one, particularly the whole "Come any closer and I will cave in your skull" air she gives off. Ahhhh, my dear homeland (hums "Rule Britannia")

France is pretty cool too, and the Netherlands have a robot lion!

Edit: Just took another look at Bosnia. Now I feel bad.

A-D.

Jan 23, 2008
Okay some of these are..bad. I mean, Iran, Algeria and Chile are..rather lightly clothed to say the least, though Chile is at least not as bad as the other two. And dear lord Bosnia/Herzegovina..thats just poor taste. Some of the rest are pretty cool-looking but god damn some of them are just bad.

SonofaJohannes

Apr 18, 2011
For Christ's sake OP, Sweden and Switzerland are not the same country. Get it right.
OT: It's a good try, but I still don't care about football.

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
It's very much a mixed bag yeah, ranging from pretty cool to tacky to... yeah, most likely drifting well into the realm of poor taste. But if the artist was Japanese, well, their view of geopolitical and culture situations outside of the SEA region can be a bit skewed, to say the least.

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
Not bad, but I see no relation between the country and the girls in Costa Rica, Germany and Honduras, I don't get them.
Switzerland is just plain bad. National stereotyping in the most tasteless way.
And Bosnia Herzegovina is just sad. That country is so much more than the recent tragedy.

Sorry, but there are so many unrelated and bad ones in there, this is not good.
National stereotyping and just really bad taste ruin this.

Although, got to say, I quite liked Netherlands, Belgium and Croatia. Those were pretty good.

Dr.Susse

Lv.1 NPC
Apr 17, 2009
Loved the Australian one.
Even disregarding the bias.... Kangaroo girls the new Catgirl?

The one for Greece was also pretty good too and as a plus was sensibly clothed.

nuttshell

Aug 11, 2013
Oh, ffs, cant you just have fun looking at someones art? Or is everybody in here running for presidency? At least someone remembers Bosnia&Herzegovina...

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
JenSeven said:
And Bosnia Herzegovina is just sad. That country is so much more than the recent tragedy.
Unfortunately this is pretty much the only thing that the average internet user knows about my country. There is tons of interesting things and things that my country is known for by the people on the Balkans, but farther than that, it's just the recent war. I'm still kinda happy that my country got so much attention with the world cup. Seeing so many people rooting for my team... it was nice for a change.

Also I wouldn't say that using stereotypes to picture some countries is inherently bad. It's just that they decided to use bad stereotypes.

Alade

Ego extravaganza
Aug 10, 2008
I'm from Bosnia and honestly when I saw the girl crying I at first thought that it was because of how the referees bent us over in our game against Nigeria (but obviously no one watched the game so it didn't happen), but yeah, the war reference makes more sense. Frankly, a little disappointed.

snave

Nov 10, 2009
Man that gallery is impossible to navigate. If you insist on one image per pageview, at least ensure it entirely fits on-screen on a 1080p display.

Me55enger

Dec 16, 2008
Well I thought they were rather good, and in many cases - England, for example - captured at the very least a generic presentation of the country at times of patriotism.

Iran's is scary as all hell though.

AJ_Lethal

Jun 29, 2014
I find Costa Rica's depiction a bit racy but I love the ninja/pirate theme: it's fitting :D

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
Me55enger said:
Iran's is scary as all hell though.
The only way in which the artist could have made it worse was by having her hold up an American embassy while the head of Salman Rushdie is swinging from her belt.

The nuclear sign on her knee, the bulletbelt, the gun on her back and those swords.... That is just plain wrong.

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
I usually hate these "X as Y" anime mashups, but these were actually pretty good. Even if Switzerland is the epitome of dopey designs.

SacremPyrobolum said:
At least they aren't Disney Princesses.
A thousand times this.

NeoAC

Zombie Nation #LetsRise
Jun 9, 2008
I like how Iran and Algeria, the two strictly Muslim nations, are the ones wearing the least amount of clothing. Makes a lot of sense.

And Costa Rica's looks very apt in hindsight now. Not expected to do anything, they struck Uruguay and Italy in the blind spots like a ninja and then snuck into the quarterfinals, also like a ninja.

Also, to the Bosnians, I wish you had done better. I was rooting for Bosnia just because their team was called the Dragons. And Edin Dzeko is a boss striker.