societal conventions you hate

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Quaxar said:
TimeLord said:
Wearing jeans!

Jeans are boring and..... boring. That's all I've got. But I will never wear jeans as long as I have my strength!
What if the Doctor starts wearing jeans?

Also, your bronie avatars confuse me. It was much easier to spot you with the wibbly-wobbly one.
How about a Doctor Whoof version already?

OT: I personally hate the "fork goes left, knife goes right" cutlery rule because quite frankly I can't do shit with a knife in my right hand...
No, I'm not left-handed but I do prefer it the other way around and every dman time I have to change the setting when I sit down. Bah.
I'm sorry, but you know I can't go back to Wibbly Wobbly, Timey Wimey. I would if I could.

zeldagirl

Mar 15, 2011
AgentNein said:
zeldagirl said:
My thoughts: Feminism is the radical notion that women are people. ~Cheris Kramarae and Paula Treichler

That's all it is. That's feminism's only goal.
Agreed. Just pointing out that this whole concept of the "feminist who wishes to be treated like a queen", while it probably does happen from time to time (like you said, people can be hypocrites), is mostly BS designed to subvert the idea or legitimacy of feminism.
I gotcha! :) And I agree. I've known several women who buy into that. And I have no problem disagreeing with them.

Thanks for your support. It's nice to see I'm not alone in these sentiments.

auronvi

Jul 10, 2009
cerealnmuffin said:
I hate how it's considered okay to just watch tv for hours and hours but if you play games or read then you are considered a loser. I have since graduated college and I still get this nonsense. It's like yeah I really don't watch tv, I spent friday night studying piano. When I was a kid my dad would be annoyed if I played a game for 2 hours, calling me addicted and telling me to turn off game, then he would sit and watch tv for 5+ hours.....

There are larger issues but I wanted to focus more on the little societal annoyances.
The only person I can say I agree with.

Everyone who talks about not wanting to wear a suit or even a tie, I can already see how successful in life you are going to be. It's not because you aren't wearing the suit or tie, it's the attitude you have towards wearing the suit or tie. If wearing a suit is what I need to do to be successful or financially secure, you are damn sure I am going to be putting one on. I currently don't have to wear a suit at my job as a Web Developer and I probably would think it silly if I had to wear one considering no one else does.

I bet it is more of a feeling of insecurity wearing a suit. Like you don't belong in it that makes you feel most uncomfortable in it. Otherwise the suit probably doesn't fit you right.

What I dislike about modern society is how we grow up, expected to go to college, get a job and work until we are 60 to retire. Anyone else think that that's bullshit? I do, that's why I started my own business on the side of my day job. Working both, I will be retired by the time I am 29 or 30. Currently I am 24. Zuckerburg already beat me by a couple years, I don't want to make it a lifetime.

Merkavar

Aug 21, 2010
TwistedEllipses said:
Tucking in shirts. It only looks smart if you're overweight. I'm as skinny as hell and I end up looking scruffy round my waist...
what if you wear 2 shirts, one you tuck in and one you leave out?

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
bliebblob said:
Yup eerste communie en tweede communie or plechtige communie wich roughly translates to first communion and second communion or formal communion. A cooky for who can guess the language.

Also, there are about a million ways this conversation could have slipped into a flamewar and yet it didn't. Good job!
Dutch at a guess?

ryo02

Oct 8, 2007
Bags159 said:
Wearing suits in the business world. I'm not saying everyone should run around in Nikes and sweat pants, but I hate suits with a passion.
I hate ties .. who thought they look smart anyway talk about enough rope to hang yourself with.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
TimeLord said:
Quaxar said:
TimeLord said:
Wearing jeans!

Jeans are boring and..... boring. That's all I've got. But I will never wear jeans as long as I have my strength!

Also, your bronie avatars confuse me. It was much easier to spot you with the wibbly-wobbly one.

OT: I personally hate the "fork goes left, knife goes right" cutlery rule because quite frankly I can't do shit with a knife in my right hand...
No, I'm not left-handed but I do prefer it the other way around and every dman time I have to change the setting when I sit down. Bah.
I'm sorry, but you know I can't go back to Wibbly Wobbly, Timey Wimey. I would if I could.
I thought you had modified it to be <100kb?

bliebblob

Plushy wrangler, die-curious
Sep 9, 2009
MetalDooley said:
bliebblob said:
Yup eerste communie en tweede communie or plechtige communie wich roughly translates to first communion and second communion or formal communion. A cooky for who can guess the language.

Also, there are about a million ways this conversation could have slipped into a flamewar and yet it didn't. Good job!
Dutch at a guess?
What the.. but.. you.. I... and he... But you're from ireland??? wel enjoy your cooky, it should arrive in 2-5 business days.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Quaxar said:
TimeLord said:
Quaxar said:
TimeLord said:
Wearing jeans!

I did, but it was horrifically bad. However, it as been a while since I tried it. Maybe it's a challenge I should take up again.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
zeldagirl said:
Ok I don't think I expressed myself very well in my last post.When I said "how often do you hear of female chivalry" what I meant was how often do you hear people use that term?I never meant to suggest that women aren't generous etc.

I simply meant that the word chivalry is usually associated with men(probably due to the whole knighthood thing).Ask your average person what it means and they'll probably mention stuff like a man holding a door open for a lady etc

ViaGalactica

Mar 18, 2011
zeldagirl said:
Women are chivalrous all the damn time. Unfortunately, our society has conditioned itself to not see it.
This! Oh goodness this! It's that horrible double-standard. When a man does something "chivalrous" for a woman he's called a gentleman, nice, caring, sweet and what not. He is praised. But when women do things that are "chivalrous" no one notices. You could be the nicest woman out there and no one will comment on it because society already expects all women to be nice and submissive and kind and all smiles all around. And heavenly bodies forbid a woman not act in such a way. Oh hell to the no, that's a giant ***** right there. (Even when men who act the same way are not called out the same way.)

OT: There are three things that I really do not like.
- I hate the negative stance the majority of people have on recreational drugs. They treat them like if just being two feet away from someone who had in the last 24 hours smoked some pot will send you into a downward spiral of prostitution, homelessness and bad hair. Sure, drugs can be harmful, but only in excess. Hell, that's what I really do dislike. Most People cannot tell the difference between 'use' and 'abuse'.

-The anti-science bullshit the people in my lovely home country love to go on about.

-The sexism I must deal with every arsed day of my life.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
TimeLord said:
Quaxar said:
TimeLord said:
Quaxar said:
TimeLord said:
Wearing jeans!

I did, but it was horrifically bad. However, it as been a while since I tried it. Maybe it's a challenge I should take up again.
Or we'll start up a revolution to replace the authority figures with pro-Doctor admins that allow you a one-time exclusion from the size limit!

And it wasn't that bad. Nothing like the original, but still.

Uncreation

Aug 4, 2009
dementis said:
Guys having to ask out girls, seriously why is it that girl just get to give off vague signals while guys have to build up the courage to ask them out, I'd personally find it more attractive if a girl just asked me out.
This! A thousand times this. And that is all i'm going to say.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
To try and cover something that might not already have been done 30 times already in this thread, marriage. I dislike some older people's opinion that for it to be a 'proper' relationship they must be married (I also dislike 'no sex before marriage' etc), and I equally (if not moreso) dislike the opinion that marriage is a pointless concept for old-fashioned prudes. Neither opinion is right, I think. I agree that two people could be in a relationship for their entire lives and that it would be just as valid as if they were married, but I see the merit in being married and celebrating and proving your love for your partner.

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
Generic Gamer said:
funguy2121 said:
(1) I love reciprocity!

** both apologize to the earlier poster who said he hated people who used "big werds." **

(2) I would say that no minority is persecuted for no reason. They are, however, universally persecuted for shitty reasons, and persecuted by sub-human racist fucks. This should be a requisite for obtaining your piece of the pie: let's see how you treat other people.

(3) I would need elaboration on what differences you're talking about. Do you think Hip-Hop and soul food are despicable? Or are you referring to us Gypsies with all our baby-stealin'?
Really? All minorities are discriminated against by 'fucks'?

Child molesters.

Necrophiliacs.

Animal fuckers.

I never said 'ethnic minorities' did I? Come on...you must've seen it around the forum..."i accept your transsexuality because I'm open minded and wonderful! Oh, but there's that little hobby of mine society doesn't like...but you like me now so you'll accept me for who I am right?"
Hmm. Though clearly that wasn't what you meant by your last point, I'll cede your new point. People who commit sexual crimes do also receive harsh treatment from others. I wouldn't say that this very small number relative to all other minorities deserve to be put in the same category, and it would appear from the attitude you expressed toward them that you'd agree. Also, I don't hear the NAACP and GLAD calling for "baby-toucher rights."

I would imagine recorded instances of necrophilia are about as common as FBI cases on snuff films. And there aren't a whole helluvah lot more people fucking animals out there. For what purpose are we lumping people who are discriminated against because of things they didn't choose with people who fuck something/someone who does not want it?

Yokai

Oct 31, 2008
The notion that boobs are somehow more harmful to children than watching a man get decapitated. I mean, boobs are great! But seriously, the violence/sex double standard annoys me to no end.

Because I am totally the first person to have said that in this thread.

Shivarage

Apr 9, 2010
lisadagz said:
Well, it's not a living, like you said. :O

Your friends shunned you because they became students? :( Are you sure they're not just really busy? I never see my friends any more, I have too much work. I'm actually quite worried I'm losing them and there's not much I can do about it until term's over.

And if by "all it's cracked up to be" you mean the independence, the parties and the whatnot, I didn't become a student for any of that so I wouldn't know. Some students seem to manage to balance their work and their partying and some manage to hold down a part time job so they can afford to live on their own but I don't know how they do it... (maybe they don't spend their evenings on the Escapist or something crazy like that.)
My "friends" were the partying type so yeh, we just grew apart then :/

I'm actually looking to not get into a lifetimes worth of debt which is what people in my country are hoping to do now that the student fees are the highest in the world, uni has become the last resort xP

still... makes me sad that the real world is ruled by nepotism, I'm also glad that I dropped out of uni before too long cause I was under the impression a degree meant a well paid job which isn't quite the case anymore ^^' the majority of graduates in my country end up in job training anyway

Doctor Glocktor

Aug 1, 2009
ViaGalactica said:
zeldagirl said:
Women are chivalrous all the damn time. Unfortunately, our society has conditioned itself to not see it.
This! Oh goodness this! It's that horrible double-standard. When a man does something "chivalrous" for a woman he's called a gentleman, nice, caring, sweet and what not. He is praised. But when women do things that are "chivalrous" no one notices. You could be the nicest woman out there and no one will comment on it because society already expects all women to be nice and submissive and kind and all smiles all around. And heavenly bodies forbid a woman not act in such a way. Oh hell to the no, that's a giant ***** right there. (Even when men who act the same way are not called out the same way.)
Really? A man gets called that whenever he does something nice for a woman? Golly gee, I sure would like to have whats considered 'chivalrous' recognized. Oh wait, that's right. Its 'expected of me by society', as you so eloquently put it, that I do this things.

And of course, no guy has ever been called an asshole, and girls NEVER deserve to be called *****. Right?

RobCoxxy

Feb 22, 2009
Oly J said:
just to give an example...

I personally hate when famous musicians die...not because they can't make music anymore but because as soon as a famous musician dies they are made a god in the eyes of society regardless of the public opinion on them in life (this might be attributed to other famous figures too)

like for instance, before Michael Jackson died all I heard about him was pedophile jokes, left, right and center, now that he's dead he's no longer a dangerous man-child but a great man and tragic figure, "you shouldn't speak ill of the dead" people say, y'know who else died recently? Bin Laden, (I actually think it was kind of a funny coincidence that the US soldiers found Bin Laden about a week after the PSN went down) "crap we can't go online on PS3....I'm bored let's go find Osama" lol

Pretty much that ^ yeah. :D