societal conventions you hate

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
HG131 said:
ace_of_something said:
It annoys me how it's okay for people to say how much they hate cats and would kill one rather than own it. If a person were to say this about dogs people would place you as an outcast.
Second man owns cat = gay

Really stupid.
If someone were to say that about cats to me, I think I'd punch them. You don't tell me you'd kill cats.
It's really very bizarre. People in the city seem to think animals are just a nuisance and mean nothing, abuse is no big deal.
Out in the country, where the rednecks are, they get really serious about animal abuse. Sure they hunt animals but starving or just being a dick is something they will (and have) carried out vigilante justice for.

loodmoney

Apr 25, 2011
Re: chivalry: I had a friend who studied its history at one point. The way she summed up one of the old codes: "If you (a lady) are alone, then a man cannot rape you. If you are with a man, another man can kill him and then rape you." Chivalry was and is sexist. If you (a man) holds open a door for a lady because she is a lady, that is sexist. If you expect some kind of reward for holding a door open for a lady because she is a lady, you are sexist and a douchebag. If a woman gets pissed at you for holding open a door, perhaps you gave the impression of awaiting some kind of reward. Perhaps she is having a bad day. Perhaps she has, as zeldagirl said, been piled on by other people before you. There are plenty of reasons why she might be angry, none of which are a result of any problem with feminism or women.

Holding open a door is not something you should be doing based on biology, but on physics. Is the door going to swing in the other person's face if you don't hold it open? Then hold it open. Did you reach the door first, and opening and walking through it first will require you to occupy the same space at the same time as the other person? Hold it open. What is or is not between the other person's legs is irrelevant.

So while there is an inconsistency between feminism and chivalry, feminists don't want chivalry, but politeness. There is no inconsistency between feminism and politeness.

ViaGalactica

Mar 18, 2011
Doctor Glocktor said:
Really? A man gets called that whenever he does something nice for a woman? Golly gee, I sure would like to have whats considered 'chivalrous' recognized. Oh wait, that's right. Its 'expected of me by society', as you so eloquently put it, that I do this things.
Yeah, but see, that's not the point of chivalry. At all. If you are only being kind and polite to women because you want to be praised or recognized then you are doing chivalry wrong. But dude, chances are, at some point, some girl, lady or woman will tell you when you hold the door for her: "What a nice young man." If I were to hold the door for a girl, lady or some woman, I wouldn't even get a side-glance. And if I were to hold the door for a man, I'll just get a glare. (I've gotten those before.)

Doctor Glocktor said:
And of course, no guy has ever been called an asshole, and girls NEVER deserve to be called *****. Right?
Congratulations on completely missing the point dude.

I never said that men are never called assholes. I never said that women don't deserve to be called a ***** on certain situations. I never said any of this.

What I said was, however, that when a woman shows a side of her that isn't nice and kind and sweet, people will just assume she's a cold *****. If a man doesn't go around smiling and being nice he is 'mysterious'. When a woman states her opinion in an argument, she's a *****. When a man states his opinion in an argument, he's just passionate. When a woman tries to be authoritative, she's...guess what? Yes, a *****. When a man does it, he's a leader.

The default attitude that society needs women to have is that of harmless and soothing happiness and cuteness and all things fluffy. When we dare deviate from that, chances are someone will call you a *****. Or some entitled stranger will come to you and tell you to smile! How dare you not smile? And when you don't smile...

And of course men get called assholes, many men are assholes. What's your point on this? Are you saying that men get called assholes when simply trying to be polite? If that's the case the other person is a douchebag. Or the man did something that wasn't entirely polite.

Biosophilogical

Jul 8, 2009
Valate said:
OT: Men being confrontational and insecure about their masculinity/intelligence. Gets very frustrating dealing with some of my male friends who uphold this convention when they just got out of a heated debate(which they lost)...
The thing with this is that it is a circular event. The social convention of being 'masculine' exists, which means that men fear being considered in a negative light[footnote]Being non-masculine in and of itself isn't bad, but when it is considered a bad thing by society at large, then it becomes a bad thing simply because of the normal view[/footnote], which means they try and act manly all the time, a facade which includes demoralising non-masucline males[footnote]Because you can't ever be seen showing anything less than utter intolerance towards something that you shouldn't like[/footnote], which in turn makes other males act masculine to avoid social disapproval from wider society, which just continues the cycle.

So truthfully, I don't blame the men who act manly but actually are just putting on a mask (because it is entirely understandable), I blame the men who act 'manly' because they are actually just that kind of person (including the whole 'put down' side of it) and any women who help perpetuate this view (and the same applies in reverse for men perpetuating the 'weak wall-flower-slut' view of women).

In my opinion, the most attractive type of people are those who have empathy, integrity and confidence. I don't care if you like anime, gardening, cooking, weight-lifting, etc, as long as you are confident in who you are and understand (and express this understanding) that your likes, dislikes and views aren't necessarily better or worse than other people's. Honestly, guy or girl, if you have these attributes (which for me has always been grouped under 'honour'[footnote]Because I think these traits are honourable traits, not because I think these traits conform to an ideal of honour alternate to my own[/footnote]) then I will consider your happiness and well-being worth my time, no matter what views you hold or hobbies you have.

EDIT: OT: I hate the social restrictions on affectionate expression. I mean seriously, I love hugging and cuddling and what-not, and it frustrates me that I am so restricted in expressing ym affection towards my friennds due to the stupid sexual connotations associated with them. I mean really? I hug you, so I must want to stick my penis in you? That's just stupid. If I hug it is because I think you are a good person and I consider you to have an emotionally-centralised value in my life (friends and family for the most part).

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
Political correctness ("Baa baa rainbow sheep" anyone?).
There are no bad dead people (especially Osama and Hitler. Great guys!).
Religious Intolerence/Fundementalism (can't we leave each other alone?).
"Wow, that girl is hot, right?" "No." "You're gay."
"OH, MY GOD!!!! A CELEBRATY. LET'S CELEBRATE HIS EVERY MOVE!!!"

I'm sure there's more.

Brutal Peanut

This is so freakin aweso-BLARGH!
Oct 15, 2010
I'm getting really tired of people assuming I must treat my husband like shit, because we were married in our backyard with thirteen people standing around wondering where we bought the food. Or if that things go downhill I must be planning on draining his back account. Or that that was all I ever wanted and I never really loved him. Acting like I am a slave-driver. I was really surprised at what people told me when they found out I was engaged.

Going to be honest by way of QQ: It seriously hurts my feelings. Because I do love him, I married him because he asked me despite my saying that we didn't have to be married to be together, and I treat him as I would want to be treated.

I get it, marriage ISN'T for you (at all) ; but some people (Gay, straight, bi, transgender, spouse + partner(s)- whatever.) still want to and believe it or not, people are happy. Shock & awe!

What irritates me a lot more though, are people asking, "When are you going to have babies?!" I really think they are just asking me to irritate me now. I don't plan on having children - because it's difficult (physically) for me, and honestly, I don't really like them. Us being married does not mean we have to pop out any spawn. If I changed my mind, I'd more then likely adopt. There are a lot of children who already need (and deserve) homes, out there.

*exhales* There, I actually feel a bit better.

Quantom Quak

The Source of All Evil
Jun 12, 2009
When I talk about videogames in public, I hate it when people give me these weird looks. I've had people come up to me while I'm talking about a game and tell me I need to stop playing games and find a more productive use of my time. (Outside of my family/school) It's just really rude and annoying. I don't tell people to stop playing sports and find something productive to do. (Although I should. Anyone have a problem with that?)

On the other hand, I love it when people recognize my LoZ sweatshirt or notice me humming Star Fox. It's great.

gazumped

Dec 1, 2010
Shivarage said:
My "friends" were the partying type so yeh, we just grew apart then :/

I'm actually looking to not get into a lifetimes worth of debt which is what people in my country are hoping to do now that the student fees are the highest in the world, uni has become the last resort xP

still... makes me sad that the real world is ruled by nepotism, I'm also glad that I dropped out of uni before too long cause I was under the impression a degree meant a well paid job which isn't quite the case anymore ^^' the majority of graduates in my country end up in job training anyway
Yeah, definitely. I mainly went because I didn't really know what else to do with myself, about half of my friends didn't go to uni, many didn't even go to school past 16 but they're all doing fine for themselves. It's a load of bum how much pressure schools put on people to go to uni and make 'em feel bad if they don't.

The UK's fees aren't too bad now, they're going to shoot up to about three times as much the year after next, though. I'm hoping I won't be affected 'cause I'm already on the course but I don't know if the fact I'm taking a sandwich year next year (the only year that I think will really help my job prospects) will keep me safe... Either way I'm going to owe the government about 20 grand by the end. ~_~

rabidmidget

Apr 18, 2008
How people don't wear as much hats anymore, especially the people who dislike people who wear hats.

shaderkul

Apr 19, 2009
Facebook!
Taxes.
Entitled Idiots.
Politicians.
Having to respect the opinion of old people just because their old, even though said person may be incorrigible, illogical, unreasonable, petty and a rude douche-bag.

Oly J

Nov 9, 2009
ToxicOranges said:
Oly J said:
I'm sure this must have been done before, but, are there any things about the general attitude of society that just piss you off? just curious

just to give an example...

I personally hate when famous musicians die...not because they can't make music anymore but because as soon as a famous musician dies they are made a god in the eyes of society regardless of the public opinion on them in life (this might be attributed to other famous figures too)
Agreeing with OP, but the example Id like to give is Jade Goody. This women was a racist, bigoted idiot, who became famous for being such a HUGE asshole on TV. However as soon as she gets cancer, thousands cry and say, "Oh It's So Targic :(", or "jAdE gooDY yUo ArE my Haro!", completely forgetting that she, was in fact, the kind of dumb ***** that lets humainty down. Bring back proper Darwinism, so she could have died a long, long time ago.

/rant
that's an even better example than mine, how the hell didn't I think of that?

funguy2121 said:
Oly J said:
I'm sure this must have been done before, but, are there any things about the general attitude of society that just piss you off? just curious

just to give an example...

I personally hate when famous musicians die...not because they can't make music anymore but because as soon as a famous musician dies they are made a god in the eyes of society regardless of the public opinion on them in life (this might be attributed to other famous figures too)

like for instance, before Michael Jackson died all I heard about him was pedophile jokes, left, right and center, now that he's dead he's no longer a dangerous man-child but a great man and tragic figure, "you shouldn't speak ill of the dead" people say, y'know who else died recently? Bin Laden, (I actually think it was kind of a funny coincidence that the US soldiers found Bin Laden about a week after the PSN went down) "crap we can't go online on PS3....I'm bored let's go find Osama" lol

also JOHN LENNON WAS NOT THAT GREAT!!

sorry for the ranting but I'm curious to see if anyone agrees with me about these things or what other societal peeves people have
OP states his opinions as fact.
and you make that assumption just because I don't begin every other sentence by saying the words "in my opinion"

sorry if that seemed a bit confrontational, but you're putting words in my mouth there

I am aware that everything I say on a subject like this is my opinion it goes without saying, and if it goes without saying then why bother saying it?

also I should point out that the Michael Jackson thing was just an example, I'm aware of all the fans he had and still has I was just pointing out how since he died jokes about the whole pedophile thing were suddenly taboo, whether he did it or not is irrelavent

by the way I don't think Ringo was anything special either since you asked

Voodoo_Person

Dec 11, 2009
I havent read past the first page, so sorry if its already been said, but I fucking hate how if you have long hair, or facial hair immediately means you're obviously lazy or unemployable. I dont like how your image comes into play when looking for a job, I understand that you need to look respectable, but only because everyone else does, wouldnt it be a lot easier if companies threw the idea of uniform out the window, and employed people solely on the basis of skills?

Oh and sticking with the long hair thing, no im not gay, and no im not too lazy to get a haircut, I just like having long hair (two things I always get asked)

AwesomeNinjaPowers

May 31, 2009
Oooooh a famous person dies. All I can say is meh it happens to everybody just cause they're famous dosen't mean it's any cooler than when non famous people die. When people say I should have respect for the dead I always ask Why? They're dead they don't care. Which is why I'm still making Miceal Jackson jokes XD

Womplord

Feb 14, 2010
The idea that anyone who committed a crime is a worthless sub-human who has no ability for rehabilitation. That after you get out of prison/whatever punishment you should still be treated lower for the rest of your life. People can learn their lesson.