societal conventions you hate

Arisato-kun

Apr 22, 2009
The Rockerfly said:
I hate the bullshit behind uni life, if you don't drink, party, cheat on your girlfriend/boyfriend you are a complete social outcast. I'm sorry but if that's what is wrong here I don't want to be right.

Also how much hype people get to being drunk and the glorification behind it. For example using multiple different terms for intoxication and using it as an excuse to be the most obnoxious kind of human being on the planet
Remind me to stay away from whatever university you go to. Mine usually hosts video game tourneys and everyone and their mother has a bottle of Mountain Dew at all times. It's awesome.

OT: People acting like it's cool to say religion is a completely awful thing. Sure it may not be for you, I'm not a very religious man myself, but I've seen some people completely turn their lives around thanks to a little spirituality.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
someonehairy-ish said:
I'm fairly sure it was sarcasm. I'm also fully aware of what hyperbole is. I do not think the poster was being hyperbolic, as that would imply that he thinks women are oppressive, even if he isn't so extreme as to really believe that they are tyrannical.
Would you like to me read the first page for you?

TheIronRuler said:
Women are usually getting the cake and eating it.
The whole feministic approach to things, in which women are independant but on the other hand some women also require men to be chivalrous AT THE SAME TIME.
TheIronRuler said:
I've stopped counting the times I was faced by near extinction when I opened a door for a woman, or on the other hand refused to do so. There is no consensus in that matter and I don't know which one I should be - your equal or your knight in shining armor?
For the time being I accept my role as a twat.
*cough* wanker *cough*
Sarcasm is where someone says the the opposite of what they mean in order to ridicule that point.

Hyperbole is where someone exaggerates a point, either to make it sound more convincing or to produce an effect, including a comic effect.

If you read that as sarcasm. Meh, I didn't. Maybe don't be so quick to leap inarticulately to the defence of posts if you're not sure of the meaning though.

someonehairy-ish said:
No, sarcasm isn't meaningless, but that does not mean that you should go on a page-long rant at somebody about the literal meaning of a statement when it clearly is not meant to be taken literally.
If you think I think was taking that post literally, maybe you have a problem with reading intention. Because I don't think I was.

I'm not going to repeat a post I got put on probation for, but if you're that interested go back and read it again and ask yourself how deadly serious you actually think I'm being.

I don't particularly care whether you think the particular post I quoted was 'serious' or not. The underlying intention there was pretty clear.

someonehairy-ish said:
As it is, I'm not fully sure why I'm arguing this, although I do find your reactions to be fairly amusing.
Good for you.

Al-Bundy-da-G

Apr 11, 2011
Feminist crying out for equal rights when they just want the same benefits as men but not the same cost i.e. selective service. I'm all for equal pay and benefits but personally I've yet to meet a woman that has the same job as a man and receives lesser benefits and pay there's a woman I work with that actually gets pay more than the head of the plant. Then again I work in a factory so there's not much variety in the jobs.

Atticus89

Nov 8, 2010
Saying "bless you" when you sneeze. Not the actual act of saying it but rather the fact that it's been in use for what seems like centuries yet whenever someone is coughing we don't say anything unless we feel a need to do so.

Seriously, I was coughing quite a bit the other day and what do I hear after a few minutes?
"Do you need some water?"

So a random sneeze from nowhere and I'm basically told a phrase that amounts to "I hope you don't die" but if I'm coughing a lot I get nothing until someone asks if I want some water? It's like coughing is an annoyance but sneezing is perfectly fine so long as it's not in anyone's face.

Sarynroth

Oct 8, 2010
The fact that it is considered unmanly to slowly drink beer and other alcoholic beverages, I'm not going to drink my drink as fast as I can especially after I just bought it a minute ago and actually want to enjoy it.

Iconsting

Apr 14, 2009
Censorship.

If an artist puts a naughty word in a song, he puts it there for a reason. Changing the word, censoring it with a high-pitched beeping noise, or cutting into silence in the song disrupts the flow of the piece. If there's a novel in which the characters use offensive language, that's the way the character is meant to be portrayed. Nothing is added into an artistic piece just because it can be, it's added there to create some kind of effect.

Jan 27, 2011
Evil Moo said:
Kind of adding to the suits thing mentioned above: having to wear formal clothing on any occasion and by extension, having to wear anything other than what I want to wear for no reason other than social convention.

Seriously, what is the difference between me wearing a suit to a job interview rather than the infinitely more comfortable and practical jeans and a t-shirt? This is a point that I'm sure is either going to lose me many potential jobs in the future, or frustrate the hell out of me every time I have to do it, to the point that I will have to restrain myself from smashing my head repeatedly against a wall.
I concur. I hate formal clothes. I hate suits, ties, etc. They annoy me. They don't fit my style and are not comfy. I LIKE my normal (and sometimes nice) T-Shirts and Sweaters, can't I just wear those? Well...At least it's better than what women have to deal with...I cannot understand why they keep strapping those torture devices onto their feet. It's stupid.

I also dislike the fact that men are expected to be tough, sports loving handymen. And that Women have to be both soft and demure while also being go getters in terms of work. Why not just let everyone be who they are and not hold them to any kind of stupid convention?

I just think it's stupid to want everyone to follow specific standards. Everyone is different. Unless you're in the army you should always be allowed to express it societal expectations be damned.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
Arisato-kun said:
The Rockerfly said:
I hate the bullshit behind uni life, if you don't drink, party, cheat on your girlfriend/boyfriend you are a complete social outcast. I'm sorry but if that's what is wrong here I don't want to be right.

Also how much hype people get to being drunk and the glorification behind it. For example using multiple different terms for intoxication and using it as an excuse to be the most obnoxious kind of human being on the planet
Remind me to stay away from whatever university you go to. Mine usually hosts video game tourneys and everyone and their mother has a bottle of Mountain Dew at all times. It's awesome.

OT: People acting like it's cool to say religion is a completely awful thing. Sure it may not be for you, I'm not a very religious man myself, but I've seen some people completely turn their lives around thanks to a little spirituality.
Just most ones in the UK the main ones being in cities and one with any clubs. I swear if I knew this before I went I would have gone somewhere else. Where do you go?

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
I hate the sheepish, childish approach to sex and nudity that society has. People are so timid about their own bodily functions.

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
evilthecat said:
Over-analyzing
Did I miss something interesting? A message popped out that you were quoting me, apparently you were discussing the meaning of my posts...
You could ask me directly.

Sarcastic_Applause

Dec 1, 2010
The Rockerfly said:

Exactly why i had to leave; i was pretty much made a social outcast because i didnt want to do any of that, so they wouldnt let me on any of the sports teams :mad:

It Sickens and Annoys me to this day

May 7, 2008
Football, or Soccer depending on where you are at the time. I hate the game so much, I much prefer cricket yet I have to get most of the results reading the news online an certanly can't watch a full game on TV even a limited over match without paying subscription charges to Sky on top of my TV licence. What really drives me mad is our football team are usless yet they are the focus of the media. Take last year full coverage of us failing to get to the FIFA world cup finals, not a word on us winning the Twenty20 world cup.

MorphingDragon

Apr 17, 2009
S3Cs4uN 8 said:
why maoris just get shit handed to them in NZ
Because we have a pussy footing government?

The Rockerfly said:

It really depends on your countries surrounding culture as a whole. In New Zealalnd, basically anyone who isn't a "social" outcast in your terms is a douchebag., a tool. They're unoriginal and wholly forgettable.

Ozzythecat

Jul 12, 2010
The convention that because I have a penis I can only look at women as objects, and that when I say I respect women I get looked at like OJ on trial.

I also suits and long pants. Not because I hate the way they look, but because I have such a high natural body temperature and insulating factor that when it's -2°C I wear shorts and two shirts and feel comfortable(sometimes with sandals) and yet when I wear pants in that situation I break sweat.

Rob Shogun

Sep 17, 2008
I'm all for being polite and a gentleman but sometimes there are certain people that make it incredibly difficult, namely Mothers with Prams! (or strollers if that's what they are called in the US) I will always give a woman pushing a baby in a pram right of way walking down a street but I used to have to walk over a narrow-ish bridge to get to work which was next to a school and there would always be two sets of woman with prams taking up the entire span of the bridge when I was walking across. They would give me really dirty looks when i didn't instantly jump off the edge and either plummet 30ft into traffic or hang on until they pass!

diebane

Apr 7, 2010
You're either gay or no girl likes you when you don't have a girlfriend. I enjoy being single, I don't have to go out with her every 2-3 days, we don't have 3 hour long phone calls and I save money. Is it really that big of a deal when somebody DOESNT have a girlfriend?

mfG diebane