Soft drink is the worst possible thing to be drinking

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
Porygon-2000 said:
Sir, I respectfully dispute your claim about soft drinks. How, you ask?

Bleach

Bam. Something worse for you to drink than soft drink.
Seriously though, I can see that happening. I mean, its just sugar water. You know what you're getting into when you buy it.
...or a solution of NaCN. That'll do the trick *way* faster than bleach.

Of course CH3NCO (aka methyl ester of isocyanic acid, methyl isocyanate or MIC) will do the trick too, toxicity begins at 0.4 ppm and it can be fatal around 21 ppm. Exposure symptoms includes coughing, chest pain, dyspnea, asthma, irritation of the eyes, nose and throat, as well as skin damage. Higher levels of exposure, over 21 ppm, can result in pulmonary or lung edema, emphysema and hemorrhages, bronchial pneumonia and death. Those are for inhalation obviously, but it does roughly the same tings to your digestive tract on ingestion (swelling, scarring, and hemorrhages). Nasty stuff, it was the primary thing released in the Bhopal chemical spill in the 80s, and they make it fairly close to where I live. Evil, evil stuff.

Daverson said:
Some people would argue that a quick death is better than a slow one =p
Herbal tea made from monkshood, then?

Progression of symptoms: the first symptoms of aconitine poisoning appear approximately 20 minutes to 2 hours after oral intake and include paraesthesia, sweating and nausea. This leads to severe vomiting, colicky diarrhea, intense pain and then paralysis of the skeletal muscles. Following the onset of life threatening arrhythmia, including ventricular tachycardia and ventricular fibrillation, death finally occurs as a result of respiratory paralysis or cardiac arrest.

That progression isn't terrifically fast (as in you get to "enjoy" the "intense pain" [which I've read described as being akin to being devoured by fire ants from the inside out] for quite a while).

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
If you're adding 200+ calories to your normal routine of course it will make you fat. You either need to cut out your intake somewhere you exercise more.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Bottle water all the way! Granted I still like soft drinks (I mean I still drink it when I get one in Mc Donald and KFC) but I am too sensible for my own good. I mean I work in a retail store which we got plenty of soft drinks and not once have I bought any so far (even when they got my favourite drinks that I haven't drank in years).
In saying so maybe I should get one since in the recent news in the Uk, they hare planning to raise the price of soft drink by 20% to tackle obesity.

Heh and I thought this thread is more about tooth decay than gaining weight.

Aug 1, 2010
I'll try to be nice here, but your post is a tad silly.

The fact is, plain sugary soft drinks have quite a few calories. If you add a couple hundred calories a day without changing anything else, you're going to gain weight. The same as if you went out and got an extra fast food meal every day or anything else that has calories in it.

If you really want to drink soda, just drink diet. Yes, there's some crappy chemicals in there, but there's crappy chemicals in literally everything we put inside us.

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
Stasisesque said:
I stopped drinking soft drinks regularly in my late teens (over a decade ago, aaahhh). I occasionally will have a Fanta, if there is nothing else available, but I can't say I enjoy the taste. Soft drinks are just too syrupy, and sticky. I don't like my drinks to be sticky, that's just odd.

Can't say if it had any effect on my weight, but my teeth thanked me!
Pretty much the same for me. My parents never got me soft drinks... ever but not due to some weird health thing but purely because I never ever requested them over the tried and trusted OJ. I started drinking them a little when i was 13-15 but frankly i dont really enjoy it. Fanta is the only one I find remotely enjoyable. I think I drink about one soda drink a month tops? If that. Sometimes I mix it with vodka at parties but very rarely. Sticky drinks are a pain to spill, awful to get on your finger tips and more expensive than some milk or juice. Really not a lot of motivation for me to buy them.

AnthrSolidSnake

Jun 2, 2011
Well of course sugar water is bad for you...I don't think there's anyone in the world that would disagree (except a complete moron). However, not everyone is going to gain such a large amount of weight from one or two sodas a day, because many of my family drink one of two sodas a day. Are we the most fit family? Absolutely not, however were not all 300 pounds and what not. In fact, my mother drinks two sodas a day, and she's been LOSING weight. Quite inpressive actually...my mother apparently can lose weight better than I ever could...(I need a frickin' job already...SOMEONE HIRE ME!!)

Anyway, I also drink a few sodas a week. (Actually, it's been energy drinks lately, which do seem to have way less calories. As for if they're any better for you?...ehh..probably not.) Now, I'm already overweight, but unfortunately my body has seen fit to stay that way. I've tried diets, exercise, what have you, and it's made only a small impact. But even when I cut out soda for a few months (with exercise) it made no difference compared to when I drank soda while exercising. It really just depends on who you are. If you use those calories (which with the energy some caffine sodas give you, you probably could run a bit at least), it would barely even add to you.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Today I learned that 20 pounds of fat is worse for you than liver cirrhosis. Kidding aside, there's no way you put on that much weight from 30 cans of coke. Especially not if you work out regularly. 30 cans of coke is about 4200 calories, at 9 calories per gram of fat, that would only be one single pound of fat, 16 and 2/3 ounces. Spread out over thirty days, as someone who works out, you shouldn't have had any problem. Caffeine is proven not to decrease your metabolism, and sugar can do some funny things to you blood sugar, but it doesn't really effect overall metabolism either. Further, when you work out, sugars are the very first thing your body burns so if you do work out regularly like you say the sugar should have even less impact. I'm sorry, but a 30 rack of coke in a month didn't put the fat on you, so maybe this is something that's been creeping up on you for a while now.
What suddenly drinking a coke or two a day could do is screw with your energy levels and make you feel kinda "blah" which might have made you notice it. Or it might have lead to you just eating more and working out less, but it's certainly not the coke's fault that you packed on bulky fat rolls in a month. Not unless you're lying a lot about how much you drink.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
AnthrSolidSnake said:
Well of course sugar water is bad for you...I don't think there's anyone in the world that would disagree (except a complete moron). However, not everyone is going to gain such a large amount of weight from one or two sodas a day, because many of my family drink one of two sodas a day. Are we the most fit family? Absolutely not, however were not all 300 pounds and what not. In fact, my mother drinks two sodas a day, and she's been LOSING weight. Quite inpressive actually...my mother apparently can lose weight better than I ever could...(I need a frickin' job already...SOMEONE HIRE ME!!)

Anyway, I also drink a few sodas a week. (Actually, it's been energy drinks lately, which do seem to have way less calories. As for if they're any better for you?...ehh..probably not.) Now, I'm already overweight, but unfortunately my body has seen fit to stay that way. I've tried diets, exercise, what have you, and it's made only a small impact. But even when I cut out soda for a few months (with exercise) it made no difference compared to when I drank soda while exercising. It really just depends on who you are. If you use those calories (which with the energy some caffine sodas give you, you probably could run a bit at least), it would barely even add to you.
When you say you tried exercise, was it cardio? If you're really trying to lose weight you want to build muscle. Cardio will burn a lot more calories during the work out itself, but your overall metabolism remains unchanged. On the other hand, doing a good muscle building work out releases hormones that increase your resting metabolism for a long time, more than full day, so you burn more calories overall by building muscle. Also, each pound of muscle burns calories just by being on your body, so the more of it you have, the higher your resting metabolism becomes. Building muscle is the best way to exercise for weight loss.

Just letting you know because way too many people don't know this. I'm not implying that lifting weights at the gym 3 days a week is going to help everyone lose weight, I'm just spreading the information.

DkLnBr

Apr 2, 2009
Wait, even worse than energy drinks? But I have to agree, I used to gorge myself on coke. I'd finish a 12 pack of coke in less than a week, averaging around 2 cans a day (sometimes reaching 6 in one evening). I do have a pretty robust metabolism, but even so I've gained the "freshman 15" for every year of college so far (except my freshman year ironically). Recently I've switched to drinking orange juice, I figure that if im going to drink something full of sugar I might as well get some vitamin C too.

AnthrSolidSnake

Jun 2, 2011
spartan231490 said:
AnthrSolidSnake said:

When you say you tried exercise, was it cardio? If you're really trying to lose weight you want to build muscle. Cardio will burn a lot more calories during the work out itself, but your overall metabolism remains unchanged. On the other hand, doing a good muscle building work out releases hormones that increase your resting metabolism for a long time, more than full day, so you burn more calories overall by building muscle. Also, each pound of muscle burns calories just by being on your body, so the more of it you have, the higher your resting metabolism becomes. Building muscle is the best way to exercise for weight loss.

Just letting you know because way too many people don't know this. I'm not implying that lifting weights at the gym 3 days a week is going to help everyone lose weight, I'm just spreading the information.
I appreciate the heads up, but no, it was a bit of a combination. When I was in school I would jog/walk determinedly to school, do gym at school, jog/walk annoyed back home, do a few push ups/weight lifts/ squats/ stretches and then go about the rest of my day. I lost a little weight, and was certainly getting a bit more toned, but now I have nowhere to be...so over half of my exercise routine has been demolished, and out of the, god...5 or 6 places I've applied to, no one seems to want to hire me.

Yan007

Jan 31, 2011
DalekJaas said:
Yan007 said:
DalekJaas said:
Spot1990 said:
So you gained more weight drinking 2 sodas a day for a month than the Supersize Me guy did eating 3 McDonalds meals a day for a month? Adding 278 calories a day to your diet made you gain an 8 year old in weight?
Obviously I wasn't clear in the post, the 30kgs I've put on is from a year and a half of going to the gym, the post is about some fat I've put on from drinking Soda for a month, no specific weight mentioned.
Bodybuilder here. Reality check.

In the best case scenario, if your diet is the best, your training is top shape and you are experiencing noob gains, you'd gain at the very most 10 pounds of muscle [4.5kg] on your first year. For most people training, an awesome year would give you 5 pounds [2.2kg].

You mean to tell me you gained 30kg in a year and a half and most of it was lean gain then you suddenly got love handles because you upped your calories for a month? I have to call bullshit. The best case scenario for you would have been to gain 6.7kg in that time yet you claim 30kg. Something tells me you are carrying 20something kgs of excess fat and water already.

Edit: Edited for dis-ambiguity.
I wasn't fully leaned out, which is why I said fatter as opposed to got fat. And everything I have ever, read heard and experienced says you can put on at just under a kilo of pure muscle a month with solid training (a quick google search will confirm this for you). Plus I went from being massively underweight for my height to being normal looking and I doubled the amount I was eating daily which all contributed.

Did develop a bit of a gut though, and this soft drink thing is my starting motivation to get rid of it, since it got a lot worse than it was.
Quick math:

30kg/18mo= 1.6666...

Even if your previous statement were correct (1kg/mo), you would have personally gained 66% more weight over your maximum possible muscle mass gain. Meaning that you put on 12kg of fat on you during that period of time.

All sorts of gains.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Eclectic Dreck said:
For me I started buying 3kg bags of pasta, it was cheap, easy to make and filled me up but I'd go through 3kg in about 10 days and I would eat a huge pan full then 30 mins later go to sleep. My weight shot up so quickly I have major stretch marks on my stomach, I could lose the weight no problem if I stopped eating so much crap food and fizzy drinks but I have a killer sweet tooth and I'm lazy, so instead of cooking a healthy meal, I would rather make a microwavable burger... And I hate the taste of water, plus it makes you piss like a camel!

And next week on "way too much info...."

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Never seen anyone get fat just because they drank soda. Sure, I've heard people claim their weight is due to soda, but I find it to be a load of bull. I drink tons of soda and never gained a pound from it, nor have my teeth fallen out of my head. And no, I don't exactly exercise. I walk a lot sometimes, yes, but that doesn't really count. And loads of people I knew who drank far more soda than I ever did also had no weight problems and weren't fans of exercise, and still had all of their teeth.

So, *opens a can of Coke* you were saying? *guzzles*

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Weaver said:
GrinningCat said:
I find it hard to believe that you gained 82 pounds off of pop alone, especially since you're reportedly only drinking one to two cans a day. You've got to have other, just-as-bad habits in there and you've got to be leading a pretty sedentary lifestyle to let it effect you as drastically as 82 pounds in a month. For one thing, if you -did- exercise, that would keep your basal metabolic rate up high enough that one or two cans of pop isn't going to effect you much due to the set point theory.

Yeah, I'm sorry, but I don't believe you. It ain't just the pop that's doing it and you're fudging the facts around here somewhere.

I'm calling bullshit.
I agree. even if the coke turned 100% into fat; 30 bottles even of coke does not weigh 37kg.
30 bottles of coke has the energy of just over 1 pound of fat. To gain 82 pounds of fat in one month from coke, you'd have to drink almost 79, 30 racks of coke in that month, above your resting metabolic intake.
Kalezian said:
Silly, I know, but take the callories of a can of soda, take the sodium.

For one can of regular coke, 140 calories, 45 mg sodium, 39g sugars, 39g total carb.

a can of coke has the same amount of sugar as it does carbs, and guess what your body uses for fuel first? Carbs, correct. So if you bring in a steady amount of carbs that your body will use, what happens to the sugar? it gets turned into fat for storage.
wrong. Sugar is a carb, it has the same number of sugars as carbs because the carbs are the sugars, they're the same thing. So your body isn't turning that sugar into fat but burning it as an easy carb. The fat comes from the fact that your body only needs x energy, everything beyond that gets stored, typically as fat, so you're storing 140 calories more of fat each soda(less if you're drinking the soda instead of another drink with calories like milk or juice).
So, and this will really blow your minds here, sugar free sodas will infact cut out the sugar portion of it. Still though, you need to have an exercise regiment that will burn the same or more calories and Carbs as you bring in, else you will get a little pudgy regardless of what you are eating/drinking.
calories includes calories from carbs, you need to burn as many calories each day as you intake. carbs are already included in that so there's no need to count them again.
Also, protien is only useful in muscle building and has no actual bearing on being healthy. so unless you are trying to get noticeable muscles that in all honesty wont make you as strong as someone who just lifts weights and such without protein, you are wasting money on that.
again false. a body uses proteins for a lot more than building muscles. Many hormones are made of proteins, many cell structures are made of proteins, and cells are built every day. There are 8 essential amino acids that you can only get by eating protein. Protein is also broken down as an energy source, at the conversion of 4 calories per gram, the same as carbohydrates. So protein has a huge impact on being healthy, not just on building muscle. Also, anyone who lifts a lot of weights takes protein supplements, it's not about looking big. There's a lot of biology behind it, but the short of it is that you need protein supplements if you're going to build a lot of muscle.
OT: I weighed about 240 before I started getting ready to go to the Army, and by standards I was overweight at 6'4".

So, to lose weight, I ran. I stopped drinking sodas entirely [because caffine in general isn't allowed in Basic, so I needed to get un-addicted to it fast], ate a near bare minimum meal [that means one meal] per day, and I ran.
this is the absolute worst way to lose weight I've ever heard of. You crashed your resting metabolism by eating only once each day and running is a relatively inefficient way to burn calories. Not that it can't work, but there are so many better ways.
How much did I run? With no hyperbole, 15 miles minimum each day, shin splints be damned. If my legs were hurting too much, I would get on a bicycle and do 20 or 25 miles in the gym.

Now, my previous soda addiction wasn't causing me to gain weight, I was 240 nearly through the entirety of highschool and for a couple of years after. But the sugar is what caused my weight to stay at that mark. so once I got rid of the sugar, my end weight was about 204. you will see those commercials that say "I lost five pounds in forty eight months thanks to monkey spunk!", but with just determination I lose thirty six in two months. Near the end of my training, I was losing one to two pounds per day because I had cut out sodas with sugar in them.
Yeah, it's absolutely because you stopped drinking soda, not because you changed your entire lifestyle with the goal of losing weight. It's all about calories in and calories out, that's why you lost weight, not because you cut out sugar. Sugar is just one more source of calories.
even now, I still work out, and though I gained maybe three pounds since leaving Basic, I still drink my fair share of cokes and energy drinks and have yet to jump back up to 240.

so really the only ways Soda is bad for you is if you are lazy and cant even run a mile to save your life, or if you just straight up dont brush your teeth causing you to look like a meth addict in a few months.
Yopaz said:
Welllllllll metabolism is fairly variable. Personally I am quite skinny, I am known to eat a whole lot almost scaring my friends at times and I am often told that they would kill for my metabolism. (Now here's the kicker)

So I ended up testing it. Turns out that my metabolism is different from average, I am actually ever so slightly below the average basal metabolic rate. I just happen to exercise a lot and I don't eat candy or drink soda except for at rare occasions. I even tried to see if I could gain weight by simply adding another meal to each day. I gained 5kg in a few months.
Just because that's the way it was with you, doesn't mean that it's always the case. I have a friend who has gone to a nutritionist to determine his metabolism. Without any significant exercise, he burns 5000 calories a day to maintain weight.

On the other hand, I have a friend who thinks he has a high metabolism because he eats a massive amount with each meal, but I'm pretty sure at least 90% of it is because he only has one meal a day most days, and some days he doesn't eat at all.

It varies from person to person, every person has a different resting metabolism due to many many factors we don't fully understand, but some people do just have really high metabolisms
Yan007 said:
DalekJaas said:
Spot1990 said:
So you gained more weight drinking 2 sodas a day for a month than the Supersize Me guy did eating 3 McDonalds meals a day for a month? Adding 278 calories a day to your diet made you gain an 8 year old in weight?
Obviously I wasn't clear in the post, the 30kgs I've put on is from a year and a half of going to the gym, the post is about some fat I've put on from drinking Soda for a month, no specific weight mentioned.
Bodybuilder here. Reality check.

In the best case scenario, if your diet is the best, your training is top shape and you are experiencing noob gains, you'd gain at the very most 10 pounds of muscle [4.5kg] on your first year. For most people training, an awesome year would give you 5 pounds [2.2kg].

You mean to tell me you gained 30kg in a year and a half and most of it was lean gain then you suddenly got love handles because you upped your calories for a month? I have to call bullshit. The best case scenario for you would have been to gain 6.7kg in that time yet you claim 30kg. Something tells me you are carrying 20something kgs of excess fat and water already.

Edit: Edited for dis-ambiguity.
I'm no expert, but the above is wrong. The yearly limit is closer to 20 pounds, but that's pure muscle mass and what most people call 'muscle' also includes glycogen stores, and the water in the muscles. Counting that, it's not unreasonable to assume that someone could gain 30 pounds of 'muscle' in a year, maybe a little more than that.
Rack said:
There's enough calories there to make you put on one pound. That's bad, a pound a month is a kind of horrifying level of weight gain. But it's nowhere near as bad as alcohol. Something else is up there.
Not that horrifying. 12 pounds a year is less than most college freshmen and even sophomores experience. It's not good, but most people could easily withstand putting on a pound a month for many many months before there was any dramatic need for lifestyle change.

Mycroft Holmes

Sep 26, 2011
Plenty of worse stuff.

Four Loco is literally banned in multiple states and the FDA had to step in to threaten to shut down their production facilities and confiscate their entire four loco supply if they didn't make it safer for consumption.

Unpasteurized milk is basically a gateway for all kinds of horrible diseases.

Wood Alcohol will make you go blind and possibly kill you.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
DalekJaas said:
You seem to be the polar opposite of me. I've been drinking at least a litre of cola a day for the past, ooh... twenty years, if not more.
I barely move, living my sedentary life as a PC geek, and yet I haven't really gained any weight at all.

Oh, I'm still a fatass, but proportionately so.

nepheleim

Sep 10, 2008
Yeah... one anecdote doesn't prove, or even demonstrate, that soft drinks are the worst thing to drink. Just because you had one bad experience doesn't mean that I, or mitchell271 or anyone else will have the same experience. You're going to need studies, and statistics, and all that other fun stuff we like to call "evidence" in order to make claims about best/worst things to drink. I happen to think that drain cleaner is probably worse to drink than soft drinks. Alcohol kills far more people every year than soft drinks (though attributing death directly to soft drinks is harder, I admit).

Sherokain

Jan 11, 2013
Every week I give up something new. Today I decided this to be KFC I have also given up Mcdonalds, energy drink,chocolate and limited my self to a can of pop per day. along side doing pushups and running. its surprising how quickly you gain strength tbh after about 4 weeks I could run 3 miles up hill without stopping. :) also im drinking milk with milk powder in it for protein.

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
Yeah, not always. I spent about 20 years 0f my life drinking 3-5+ cans of pop a week. Stopped when I moved out of my parent's place and if I now have 3-5 cans of pop in a month, that's a lot for me. Did not lose a pound. Dietary changes are different for every person. Pop isn't good for you, no, but there's nothing wrong with having it every now and again.