Some good music.

davidmc1158

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
I'm old enough to remember the beginnings of this guy's career. Listening to his newer stuff now . . . . .well, I rather like the song (he looks like a dork in the video, though)

Reactions: gorfias

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
You ever see a weird looking song that Youtube recommends you that turns out pretty good? God, this song is so 80's (Joy Division specifically), yet came out only three years ago.

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
Ok, in Honor of the "without posting your age" thread, I'm going to do a variation of posting.

Post music that meant a lot to you as a teenager. You can only have one main song, but you can have two honorable mentions.

My main song? The Song that worked its way into my dna the first time I heard it.

This song is still everything to me. It remains in my top three favorite songs of all time. It's normally number one. It still is now.

It shows me that my art form could be complex, smooth, jazzy, playful, and unique to me. I didn't have to be a gangster. I didn't have to act like the hardest thug that ever lived. I could have a different soul, and it showed me that it's ok to be alternative. I will always love this song for what it meant to me.

Runners up:

... I just wanted to be this cool. Holy hell, they are still so damn cool..

I was so fasncatied with Techno. I never heard anything like it. It was so electric to me. I've moved onto Drum and Bass since then as one of my top three musical genres, but I would have never gotten there if I wasn't taken with Techno first.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States

I was so fasncatied with Techno. I never heard anything like it. It was so electric to me. I've moved onto Drum and Bass since then as one of my top three musical genres, but I would have never gotten there if I wasn't taken with Techno first.
It was the mid '90s, and I was completely into New Age piano and Classical music, nothing else. Then I saw the movie Heat which ends with a glorious piano piece called God Moving Over The Face Of The Waters. I sought out the soundtrack and found it was a piece by an artist called "Moby."

I bought his album Everything Is Wrong with the aforementioned track on it. With the exception of that track and another called Hymn, basically the whole album is Techno. I certainly wasn't expecting that; I'd never been exposed to Techno before, but since this guy was clearly capable of amazing things, I kept listening to it and branching out to find more like it.

Then I found Robert Miles and the album Dreamland. It was piano meets my new interest Techno. It was perfect. I must have listened to that album a thousand times. I even taught myself how to play the piano for damn near every track. It was because of Miles that I worked a summer gig with my dad to earn enough money for another keyboard so I could recreate whole songs from Dreamland, i.e.: strings, drums, effects, etc.

Today? I can't listen to it. It is awfully cheesy and cringeworthy, but I can't help but credit Miles and Moby as a MASSIVE stepping stones in my musical evolution.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
Post music that meant a lot to you as a teenager. You can only have one main song, but you can have two honorable mentions.
Hmm... Good one. That's hard, my tastes changed a lot from 13-19 and a lot of things happened in-between. So many bits of music with different meanings to me for whatever reason.

Guns n Roses were the first band I got into as a young teenager, maybe slightly before. This was such a good tune at the time and still is. Unfortunately the theme made too much of an impression on me.

Certainly not the best Doors tune but it resonated with me. Acid summers on holiday with friends that I didn't want to end, wishing we'd all been around in the 60s. [Edit] Doh! That was meant to be Summer's Almost Gone [/edit]

Though not my introduction to hardcore, this tune really nails the outlook we had at the time. Stick a brick on the accelerator, snap off the brake and ride the train until it crashes and burns. I had finally discovered a contemporary counter culture that I could take part in, rather than something happened 30 odd years ago or across an ocean. This was mine.

Last edited:

Jarrito3002

Elite Member
Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
My sister introduced me to Tobe Nwige and we just saw him Sunday at the House of Blues and whole show was incredible. This guy and his team are doing something special and I love how he earnestly incorporates his family into the show.

Though there was almost a riot in the pre show with the day trolling the audience playing 5 seconds to much of R Kelly to get the home crowd "riled" up.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Stumbled upon a channel kinda useful for exploring further musics, though the quality is naturally hit or miss, the misses havent yet dipped below 'harmlessly tolerable' so far, which is more than can be said for when someone turns the radio on. Problem is my phone storage is now getting quickly populated with meandering albums harbouring no sense of manageable order.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Stumbled upon a channel kinda useful for exploring further musics, though the quality is naturally hit or miss, the misses havent yet dipped below 'harmlessly tolerable' so far, which is more than can be said for when someone turns the radio on. Problem is my phone storage is now getting quickly populated with meandering albums harbouring no sense of manageable order.

I would love to make a couple of suggestions based on what I've heard of these selections, if only to add to your phone's storage conundrum:

Waterclock was an album I discovered late one night in the early 2000s whilst listening to National Public Radio because in my early 20s, I was 70-year-old man.

And Helios is just a fucking genius, all day, every day and twice on Sundays. If nostalgia had a soundtrack, Helios would be it. Y'know, those moments when you look through old photos and try not to breakdown remembering better days? Yeah, that's Helios with his arm around your shoulder.