Some good music.

Summerstorm

Elite Member
Sep 19, 2008
Hm, i have searching for new music the last few days. (I should really do that more, expanding my collection and such - broaden my horizon)

Didn't know this band (Elephant Tree), but i like this song at least:

Also, why are no "discovery" and moderated music shows on mainstream radio? Some small public stations have it, some streamers or youtube channels do it... but straight up multi-million-listener stations rotate the same few thousand tracks 24/7 it seems. Weird shit.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
Also, why are no "discovery" and moderated music shows on mainstream radio? Some small public stations have it, some streamers or youtube channels do it... but straight up multi-million-listener stations rotate the same few thousand tracks 24/7 it seems. Weird shit.
Try BBC radio 6, lots of interesting stuff.

Last edited:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Hm, i have searching for new music the last few days. (I should really do that more, expanding my collection and such - broaden my horizon)

Didn't know this band (Elephant Tree), but i like this song at least:

Mainstream radio does it for the money, not to disseminate new, interesting, or unproven ideas. I actually prefer it this way. I'm able to skulk in the shadows and discover brilliance without having to suffer what's "p[rofitable]opular." Tickets to Elton John cost us a couple of hundred dollars to watch from a mile away, meanwhile, I was able to attend a Tricky concert for like $40, and I got to meet him as he was walking around the audience before his set started, AND I got his autograph.

When I first started getting into Electronic music in the mid-'90s, there was a program on a public access channel that used Electronic music as the background while they scrolled through their low-budget ads. I discovered SO many artists there; I would stay up until 3-4am watching that shitty channel and writing down the credits before running of the the record store the next day to buy the albums I'd heard. I obviously never met the person behind that channel's music selection, but I've often thought we would have been stellar friends, at the very least, I owe them a massive thanks.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
Obituary, kings of Florida death metal. Missed their recent tour but saw them on the Slayer farewell tour a few years ago.

To be watched in order.

Also some other rockin stuff

Finally some music for when you are a broken, decaying husk at the end of the line.

Last edited:
Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
This is how good of a band Tokyo Incidents are. Their sound is mainly a blend of rock with a heavy jazz influence but they can just pull some random sound out their back pocket and completely knock it out the park like it's been their sound for their entire time.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

I didn't think this tune would be able to puncture my heart any more than it already did. Shows what I know.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
A Future Sound of London classic, and a song to commit murders to. Or at least think about committing murders while you burn yourself with a lit cigarette to stifle your homicidal urges.

No one else?

Yeah, me neither.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
A Future Sound of London classic, and a song to commit murders to. Or at least think about committing murders while you burn yourself with a lit cigarette to stifle your homicidal urges.

No one else?

Yeah, me neither.

More a tune to sit there baking your brain with lots of drugs to, but I guess a similar area at least.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
More a tune to sit there baking your brain with lots of drugs to, but I guess a similar area at least.
Never been much into recreational drugs, but I imagine listening to this while on them would make me paranoid as fuck.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Honestly, I find that whole album very relaxing.
Oh, absolutely. Lifeforms is easily my favorite FSOL album (Dead Cities being a close second,) but "Vertical Pig" is undeniably very sinister and menacing when compared to something like "Dead Skin Cells" or "Among Myselves." I like it for that reason; it's a differently emotionally charged piece that somehow manages to not be jarring or tonally dissonant when compared to the entire body of work. Lifeforms is a timeless album that doesn't grow stale for spinning its tires on thematically similar tracks for the sake of cohesion no one asked FSOL for.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
Oh, absolutely. Lifeforms is easily my favorite FSOL album (Dead Cities being a close second,) but "Vertical Pig" is undeniably very sinister and menacing when compared to something like "Dead Skin Cells" or "Among Myselves." I like it for that reason; it's a differently emotionally charged piece that somehow manages to not be jarring or tonally dissonant when compared to the entire body of work. Lifeforms is a timeless album that doesn't grow stale for spinning its tires on thematically similar tracks for the sake of cohesion no one asked FSOL for.
It's been a long time since I listened to it, but I still have my original tape from 30 odd years ago and it might be my failing memory, but I think the tracks went into each other. Or maybe I was always too fucked to notice the change, so it always felt like one long floaty trip to me, except having to turn it over half way through of course.

ISDN comes a close second for me, but I have to admit it's probably partly nostalgia value, by the time Dead Cities came out I had moved on to other things so it just doesn't have the same personal resonance that Lifeforms and ISDN have. Plus I flogged my vinyl of it a few years after it came out so I didn't have it to listen to for as long.

Last edited:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
It's been a long time since I listened to it, but I still have my original tape from 30 odd years ago and it might be my failing memory, but I think the tracks went into each other. Or maybe I was always too fucked to notice the change, so it always felt like one long floaty trip to me, except having to turn it over half way through of course.

ISDN comes a close second for me, but I have to admit it's probably partly nostalgia value, by the time Dead Cities came out I had moved on to other things so it just doesn't have the same personal resonance that Lifeforms and ISDN have. Plus I flogged my vinyl of it a few years after it came out so I didn't have it to listen to for as long.
Oh, I strongly suggest Dead Cities. It's where many of FSOL's signature tracks came from like "We Have Explosive" and "My Kingdom." You hopped off the train right before one of the best stops. ISDN is good, but Dead Cities is where they put themselves on the map. Go listen and report back.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
Oh, I strongly suggest Dead Cities. It's where many of FSOL's signature tracks came from like "We Have Explosive" and "My Kingdom." You hopped off the train right before one of the best stops. ISDN is good, but Dead Cities is where they put themselves on the map. Go listen and report back.
I had it on vinyl, I just sold it a couple of years after it came out and didn't listen to it that much when I did have it as my tastes had changed a bit by then. The others I was really into the music when they came out so I listened to them a lot. I probably wasn't very clear on that.

Having just popped on my MP3s of it I do actually instantly recognise all the tunes. Antique Toy, Dead Cities ,1st death in the family etc. Must have listened to it more than I remember.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I had it on vinyl, I just sold it a couple of years after it came out and didn't listen to it that much when I did have it as my tastes had changed a bit by then. The others I was really into the music when they came out so I listened to them a lot. I probably wasn't very clear on that.

Having just popped on my MP3s of it I do actually instantly recognise all the tunes. Antique Toy, Dead Cities ,1st death in the family etc. Must have listened to it more than I remember.
No, you were clear; I was simply suggesting that it might be worth a revisit given how many great tracks are on it. That's what I love about good music; it's never too late to look back and appreciate what one might have missed.