Someone Please Kill Noober. Gifting Baldur's Gate: EE on Steam. [Closed]

AldUK

Oct 29, 2010
To anyone on the fence about trying BG; do it. You're an Escapist, that means you're interested in games and are at least marginally intelligent and enlightened. There's a reason BG is called the king of PC RPGs.

I've played it through around 7-8 times, BG2 slightly less, simply because I was there playing BG1 when it was released. The name 'Alderon' which I have been using around the net for over 10 years was originally a Half-Elf Ranger in BG1.

Fantastic game, the series that really launched BioWare into the bigtime for good reason. Props to you, Louie Clark you glorious Escapist, you.

Louie Clark

Mar 31, 2011
AldUK said:
To anyone on the fence about trying BG; do it. You're an Escapist, that means you're interested in games and are at least marginally intelligent and enlightened. There's a reason BG is called the king of PC RPGs.

I've played it through around 7-8 times, BG2 slightly less, simply because I was there playing BG1 when it was released. The name 'Alderon' which I have been using around the net for over 10 years was originally a Half-Elf Ranger in BG1.

Fantastic game, the series that really launched BioWare into the bigtime for good reason. Props to you, Louie Clark you glorious Escapist, you.
Oh, I try. Thanks.

Louie Clark

Mar 31, 2011
lacktheknack said:
I'd love to get it as well. I love your giveaways.
Well keep an eye out, then. I have a copy of Deus Ex Human Rev sitting in my steam inventory that is gonna need a home.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
Kaisikudo said:
My girlfriend suggested I buy the Baldur's Gate 4-in-1 pack on Amazon about a year ago. Got it for a bargain price and she was so right about it being one of the greatest RPGs of all time. The sheer difficulty can be quite ridiculous at times, but the story and characters are just plain unforgettable. I keep on coming back to it, and I'm currently playing through Baldur's Gate 2, having completed Tales of the Sword Coast.

I also picked up Planescape: Torment, and the original Neverwinter Nights, both of which I love - and am currently looking into buying the Icewind Dale games, which look remarkably similar to the Baldur's Gate series.

I don't suppose you have anything to say about them? Do they play and feel the same at all?
Icewind Dale asks the player to create the entire party of characters thus much of what is still loved about Baldur's Gate is lost. Still, from a mechanical standpoint, they are at least comparable if not better in many cases when it comes to managing combat. In retrospect, it strikes me that Icewind Dale seems almost as though it was intended as a multiplayer experience where Baldur's Gate would lose much of it's appeal if you played it as such.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
Zeckt said:
I think your being quite unfair on the PS2 games. Have you even played them or are you just mindlessly bashing them? After what you said I would seriously like you to discuss what faults you had with them and what exactly made them so bad.
The PS2 games are legitimately good games, or at least were at the time. They do, however, have a damning flaw: they share the name of a heralded CRPG and literally nothing else. That they are good or not is largely irrelevant when comparing the PC title and the console version. The stories are different (unrelated in fact), the mechanics are different, the technology is different, the setting is different.

To put it another way, to refer to Baldur's Gate for the PS2 in a discussion regarding the PC title is like referring to Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel when discussing the merits of Fallout 2. Except Brotherhood of Steel was rubbish of course.

Louie Clark

Mar 31, 2011
Eclectic Dreck said:
Words of truth.
Brotherhood of Steel was like the exact same game as Dark Alliance, just with guns and all brown and grey. But yeah, I bought Dark Alliance thinking I'd get to see more of the Bhaal Spawn's story, and haha of course not. It's like going to buy Super Mario 3, but instead you play a guy named Frank and it takes place in Apple Kingdom.

After this thread ends, I am going to create the thread to give away Human Revolution. Just a heads ups if you are interested, or have friends you want to tell about that one. I will mention this again when I post the winner of this in a few hours.

Louie Clark

Mar 31, 2011
Ending this a little early because I feel like garbage, and I am not going to be able to stay up until Midnight.

Messaging Aris Khandr right now, since that person won. Yay for luck.

Tomorrow, once I wake up, I'll make the post giving away Deus Ex.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Well damn, no first post luck for me! Shoulda known that'd happen!

Good luck and have fun Aris, though I do hope a goblin stabs you in the back real good just once for my own petty vengeance! :p

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
JaceArveduin said:
Good luck and have fun Aris, though I do hope a goblin stabs you in the back real good just once for my own petty vengeance! :p
I got murdered by the very first bear out of Candlekeep, if it makes you feel any better. And I hadn't saved, which means starting back over from the beginning of the tutorial.

I think, perhaps, I should be a fighter first, rather than a rogue.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Aris Khandr said:
JaceArveduin said:
I got murdered by the very first bear out of Candlekeep, if it makes you feel any better. And I hadn't saved, which means starting back over from the beginning of the tutorial.

You have my condolences and my laughter. I know playin Fallout and Elder Scrolls helped me learn that saving often is awesome. That, and it auto-saves when you go through doors, which really helps.

Louie Clark

Mar 31, 2011
Aris Khandr said:
Try a Kensai fighter kit, if you haven't. They added that kit from Baldur's Gate 2. They are pretty bad ass.

And fall in love with your Q key, too.