Something I learned about PC gaming...

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Yeah... I saved all my pennies and bought an Alienware for $2800. I've since gutted it and replaced every part (except the DVD drive and cooling system) for ~$800. And it's ten times better. AND IT'S IN AN ALIEN SHELL. AWESOME!

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
MaxPowers666 said:
The cost of your pc is $1200. The cost of my ps3 was $400 and my ps2 for $100, that brings my grand total for $500. So you have spend twice as much as me and my combination has actually lasted just as long if not longer. We are not talking games/tv/anything else since that is irrelevent and doesnt actually favor pc as much as people think.
Yes, we ARE taking the TV into account. My monitor cost $200, and doubles as a TV. My parents' TV cost $3000.

Sooooo...

DeaconSawyer

Aug 19, 2010
MaxPowers666 said:
DeaconSawyer said:
MaxPowers666 said:
Nobody ever really said PC gaming is expensive its just more expensive then alternatives. The proof is in the numbers everybody has given in this thread.
Except the numbers that I gave here.

DeaconSawyer said:
Ok. I am a PC Gamer to the core. I spent 1000$ on this computer. 7 YEARS AGO! That's right, for 7 years, and only once 200$ for a new graphics card, I have been running games that span all consoles, all generations and on something that I needed anyway...too let's say...POST ON THESE FORUMS! Only recently did if have trouble with a game. Assassin's Creed 2. I could still run it, just not on highest. Alas. Besides that game made my friends PS3 lag too.

Subtract the cost of what I needed anyway, the higher cost of console games, and the cost of buying x-number of consoles and this is WAY cheaper.
The cost of your pc is $1200. The cost of my ps3 was $400 and my ps2 for $100, that brings my grand total for $500. So you have spend twice as much as me and my combination has actually lasted just as long if not longer. We are not talking games/tv/anything else since that is irrelevent and doesnt actually favor pc as much as people think. We are also not taking inflation into account since $1000 7 years ago is worth more then $1000 today.

Unless you cant do simple math then your numbers are alittle off. As for ac2 making the ps3 lag thats so wrong it just makes me laugh.
Do the math on an ps2, ps3, xbox, xbox 360, accessories, and more expensive games. Subtract the cost of a standard computer, that you clearly have anyway.

Consider what you own and what games you are not capable of playing and so would need to buy other systems for. Since you need to buy games to make a console worth it I think they are relevant to cost. Basic math requires you to define your terms and variables before attempting the equation. The various console platforms and their generations and their games add up to a total cost higher than PC gaming. That is without paying attention to the fact that computers are pretty important anyway, but add that into the equation and it changes it even further.

Maybe you just love PS3 and really want to play FF, if that is the case PS2 and PS3 are the systems for you, but to buy all 4 consoles, (also consider many buy them new and the PS2 was NOT 100$ new) and the games for the consoles (which are relevant because console versions games always cost more) is less cost effective than a PC.

Also the inflation comment is pointless, because the hardware 7 years ago is incomparable to that of today, for PCs anyway. So how would you gage what something back then was worth according to today's standards? For 1000$ I expect to build another gaming rig that will last even longer.

Since I would have put about 500$, 7 years ago, into a new computer anyway, just for my work, it is only really 500$ toward the gaming aspect.

So you spend 500+ whatever you would have spent if it was brand new + lets say another 400 toward xbox stuff to get the same number of games the the PC gets + whatever else for controllers and other accessories. Add about 25% to all your game costs.

End result

Console Fan could easily spend 900 or 1000 on the consoles alone
+10-25% on games.
+money for a computer that you obviously have.

I spend 500 on a basic computer + 500 to upgrade into a gaming rig.

So even if you factor out the Xbox it costs as much, factor it in, consoles are more.

EDIT: Please Also see 2 posts lower here. I felt I should mention about my love of consoles.

DeaconSawyer

Aug 19, 2010
I should also at this point mention that I own several consoles, and have my computer hooked up to the HDTV that they use. I like consoles. I like the exclusive games, the controllers and the big fuck-off TVs. They are fun, and I dislike using my computer for gaming when friends are over. But I just take issue with people saying consoles are less expensive.

TelHybrid

May 16, 2009
When you take into account the fact that peripherals aren't proprietary products either made or licensed by a console developer when buying for PC, but 3rd party which means competitive pricing, this shaves off costs like £60 for a wifi adapter, £30 for a controller.

There's also free online so that shaves off £40 for a year of LIVE.

There's also the fact most PC games have free DLC, and there's all the free mods that add to the re-playability of your games, and the games are cheaper.

Sure a PC costs more at first, but in the long run it's cheaper, and less restrictive.

I built my system 3 years ago for £700 (and that includes the price of a monitor I bought separately), and it still will run any game. It runs Crysis on medium, which to be honest still looks better than any console game.

I'm all for console gaming, I indulge in console gaming a lot myself, I just get tired of the console fan(boy)base saying stupid stuff like "PC gaming is dying" and "PC gaming is too expensive" and "all PC gamers are piracy fags" and "PC gamers are elitist pricks" and such. It just shows their own stupidity and ignorance, and they wonder why some PC gamers have an elitist attitude...

Hint: It's directed purely at you morons! They're patronizing you!

Hateren47

Aug 16, 2010
Karim Saad said:
I'd rather buy an Xbox for 250$ (gaming) and a P4 for 100$ (for everything else). Then again, I'm a cheap bastard and I don't get a stiffy for fmx3600FX3D7686 video cards or whatever they're called nowadays. Consoles can play the same games now and you don't have to sit at your desk with a ******* keyboard and mouse.
They are called HD 5770, they cost about 40% less than an Xbox and makes your games look a lot better than the Xbox. You are not really a cheap bastard by getting an 360.

Ace of Spades

Jul 12, 2008
Money isn't the problem with PC gaming, it's the troubleshooting that turns me off of it. I buy to play, not to troubleshoot. If I buy a game and have to troubleshoot, that's annoying. If there's a problem that takes more than 2 days to fix, that's unacceptable, and I had to troubleshoot next to everything I bought for the PC.

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
I always did wonder how the 5770 matched up to console integrated graphics. Apparently the 5750 is closer to what you'd get on the PS3, or at least that's what I heard on another forum.

I just wonder if my single GTX 470 and i7 930 CPU would play Metro 2033 without exploding :/

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
Karim Saad said:
Hateren47 said:
They are called HD 5770, they cost about 40% less than an Xbox and makes your games look a lot better than the Xbox. You are not really a cheap bastard by getting an 360.
I don't believe or care in "look better" anymore. Things look good enough for me. If someone likes having to set each game with their peripherals and settings and use the keyboard and upgrade parts and feel superior, have fun, I don't care. I just don't care for that kind of experience.

Wireless controller > box with disc > screen = fun right now
You do realise any PC can be hooked up to a PS3 or Xbox 360 controller, right?
If you don't care for that kind of experience then fine, I really don't care. I however would like to be able to play through this, and the next, generation of games without having to pay through the nose- and that's the point of this thread.
If you just want to hate on people who have a better system than you because you don't understand why they'd want one... well, what the hell are you doing here?

GBlair88

Jan 10, 2009
These are as close as I can get as some parts cannot be changed on the Alienware system.
Included in your system:
Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64bit- English
Intel® Core? i3 Processor 540(3.06GHz,4MB)
English Microsoft® Office Home and Business 2010 (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook, One Note)
No Security/Anti-Virus Protection
3Yr Next Day Hardware Support
1GB ATI® Radeon? HD 5670 graphics card
16GB 1333MHz (4x4GB) Dual Channel Memory
500GB (7200RPM) SATA Hard Drive
24X DVD+/- RW Optical Drive (DVD & CD read and write)
Display Not Included
No Keyboard
No Mouse
Soundblaster XFi Titanium PCIe card
Alienware Aurora (P55) Standard Cosmic Black Chassis
Accessories
Alienware 3D
Astral Aqua
Steam® Client and Portal? Game - Factory Installed
Services & Software
Also Includes
No Accidental Damage Support
Alienware Aurora Resource DVD
English - Documentation with UK/Ire Power cord
D08AWV01
Alienware Aurora (P55) DT Order - UK
No Speakers (Speakers are required to hear audio from your system)
AutoMatic Updates : AutoMatic updates - On
One free Dell Expert call to help with your PC queries within 60 days of purchase
1 year Next Business Day Hardware Support included with your PC

Case
COOLERMASTER COSMOS 1000 SILVER SILENT CASE one hundred fifty nine pounds sterling (Most expensive on the site)

Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core?i3-540 Dual Core (3.06GHz, 4MB Cache) + HD Graphics

Motherboard
ASUS® P7H55-M SI: MICRO ATX VALUE MAINBOARD,USB 2.0 & SATA 3.0Gb/s

Memory (RAM)
16GB SAMSUNG DDR3 DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (4 X 4GB)

Graphics Card
1GB ATI RADEON? HD 5670 PCI EXPRESS - DirectX® 11

2nd Graphics Card
NONE

3rd Graphics Card
NONE

Memory - 1st Hard Disk
500GB SERIAL ATA 3-Gb/s HARD DRIVE WITH 8MB CACHE (7,200rpm)

2nd Hard Disk
NONE

1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM

2nd DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
NONE

Memory Card Reader
NONE

Power Supply & Case Cooling
350W Dual Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan

Processor Cooling
INTEL SOCKET LGA1156 STANDARD CPU COOLER

Sound Card
Sound Blaster® X-Fi? Titanium PCI Express (£69)

Network Facilities
ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT

USB Options
6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD

Modem
NONE, I WILL BE USING BROADBAND

Floppy Disk Drive
NONE

Firewire & Video Editing
NONE

TV Card
NONE

Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)

Office Software
Microsoft® Office Home & Student 2010 (1 License Product Key Card) (£77)

Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE

Monitor
NONE

2nd Monitor
NONE

DVI Cable
NONE

GeForce 3D Vision
NONE

Keyboard & Mouse
NONE

Mouse
NONE

Speakers
NONE

Webcam
NONE

Headsets (VOIP)
NONE

Surge Protection
NONE

Printer
NONE

External Hard Drive
NONE

Home Installation
NONE

Warranty
3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, Lifetime Tech Support)

Data Recovery
NONE

Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)

Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 7 to 9 working days

Quantity

Overpriced much?

Apr 29, 2010
Hell, the only reason I haven't gotten a new computer is because I'm waiting until I'm back home in the States, where they're cheaper.

ShAd0wS

Aug 17, 2010
I have been an avid pc gamer mainly because I enjoy the customization offered (of both the system, and in modding games, etc), and because the controls are vastly superior for most types of games. That said, I have been considering buying a console recently for niche games or games which don't really have a pc equivalent... Madden '08 gets boring after a while when shiny new Madden '11 is on xboxes, and racing / fighting games also tend to be alot better on consoles then pcs.

And through good use of newegg, you can create a computer which can handle (not amazing graphics, but handle) just about any game out today for around the price of an Xbox 360 elite, or whatever the new ones are called.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Karim Saad said:
Hateren47 said:
I don't believe or care in "look better" anymore. Things look good enough for me. If someone likes having to set each game with their peripherals and settings and use the keyboard and upgrade parts and feel superior, have fun. I just don't care for that kind of experience.

Wireless controller > box with disc > screen = fun right now
Or in the case of PS3s (and 360s if you fear for your discs), it's wireless controller > disc in box > start machine up > insert disc > install game > download patch(es) > play.

Which is pretty similar to how most PC games are installed these days.

Point is: the "because it's easier" arguement doesn't really apply, unless you run into a problem (hello, RRoD).