Song Covers you prefer to the original

solemnwar

Sep 19, 2010
I prefer Anberlin and Lacuna Coil's cover of "Enjoy the Silence" much, much more than the original.

I also prefer Sonata Arctica's cover of "Die With Your Boots On".
Although look at youtube videos of both versions results in UTTER HILARIOSITY because of the epic amount of flame wars.

Ah, youtube.

Brooks13

Apr 12, 2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fD-SMLTfuVw

The Violent Femmes covered Gnarls Barkley's "Crazy" as a tribute to Gnarls' cover of "Gone Daddy Gone"

SomethingUnrelated

Aug 29, 2009
TeeBs said:

Isn't it mutually accepted that Jeff Buckley's version is like 100x better then Leonard Cohen's, hell Leonard didn't even like his version and only became popular post humorously, Though I guess the same could be said about Jeff.
Yeah, it's 'posthumously', not 'post humorously'. In effect, you're saying it got popular after it/he was funny =P

Nevertheless, I am agreed with you on this one. I think Buckley performed it better than Cohen, but Cohen did a great job writing it.

unoleian

Jul 2, 2008
loc978 said:
I almost forgot, for the stoner crowd, Smoke Two Joints. Here [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfduFy26EE0]'s the original song... and no matter what anyone says about Sublime, for me, the definitive version is done by Richard Cheese.
...interestingly enough, the only place I could find it hosted was a German video site [http://www.myvideo.de/watch/4476905/smoke_two_joints_beste_version]...
Eh, that swing version was alright, but I'm not sold on it. What it really made me want to hear now is a crooning, downtempo, Sinatra-esque treatment of that song. That would be pure class.

m.zajac

Jan 25, 2010
I have 4 that I personally like.

Original by Justin Timberlake
Original by Black Sabbath
Original by David Bowie
Original by Slade

MasterSteef

Mar 3, 2010
Red- "Ordinary World"
Limp Bizkit- "Behind Blue Eyes" and "Faith"
Disturbed- "Ishwilf"
Seether- "Careless Whisper"
Aiden- "Cry Little Sister"
Korn- "Word Up"
Artist vs. Poet- "Bad Romance"
Clash at Demonhead- "Black Sheep"
New Found Glory- "King Of Wishful Thinking"
Pearl Jam- "Last Kiss"
Hit The Lights- "More Than A Feeling"
Metallica- "Turn The Page" and "Ecstasy Of Gold"
The Almost- "Free Fallin"
Versaemerge- "Paint It Black"
A Static Lullaby- "Toxic"
Mayday Parade- "In My Head"

And those are just a few of my favorites... :)

Derek Atkinson

Mar 13, 2011
This is an Awesome Punk-Ska cover of Wish You Were Here!

[youtube]1zhHfJM5tBk[/youtube]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zhHfJM5tBk

KefkaCultist

Jun 8, 2010
Well since "Hurt" has been taken already I'll choose 5 other of my favorites.
^ I love the original song and Murderdolls so this is awesome for me.​

^ It's Lemmy. Enough said.​

^ I love when bands take rap songs and make it awesome and since I actually like the original version I really like this cover of it.​

^ Original is awesome. So is cover.​

^ I'm a Nirvana and Otep fan. Nirvana + Otep = Shweetness!​

Celestil

Jan 25, 2010
Authority Zero did a pretty cool cover of Mexican Radio. Originally done by Wall of Voodoo.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
JoshFTL said:
Personally, I prefer Fightstars cover of 'Fear of the Dark' to Iron Maidens original. Obviously the Iron Maiden version is better, what with it being the original and all, but I just can't help preferring Fightstars version.

Turisas' cover of Boney M's 'Rasputin' gets an honorable mention as well. So Escapists, any covers you prefer to the originals?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L28dLudXqc ( << Fightstars Fear of the Dark cover.)
"Hit Me Baby, One More Time" as sung by Amed and Dwezel Zappa. If you haven't heard it, you should totally check it out - they turn a song I hated into a song I really like.

Yes, that's the song by Britney Spears.

Yes, those are the sons of Frank Zappa.

Seriously, it's wonderful, in a hilarious sort of way.

Mr Somewhere

Mar 9, 2011
I usually dislike covers, normally the artist misses the point, or their interpretation is so terribly lame I can't stand it.
But, there is always the exception that proves the rule, eh?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=e75BUYdZq-g

Edit: Devo- Satisfaction

Michael826

Aug 17, 2009
Blasphemy! You should be ashamed for prefering the Fightstar version.

All Along the Watchtower - The Jimi Hendrix Experience

Knockin' on Heaven's Door - Guns N Roses

Live and Let Die - Guns N Roses

Oops... I did it Again! - Children of Bodom

Maggie's Farm - Rage Against the Machine

Rich - Wormrot

Whiskey in the Jar - Metallica

Rasputin - Turisas

EDIT:

Hallelujah - Jeff Buckley

Mad World - Gary Jules

Feeling Good - Muse

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Some of them are 'for teh lulz', but that doesn't mean they aren't superior.

Mesca

May 6, 2010
Bara_no_Hime said:
"Hit Me Baby, One More Time" as sung by Ahmed and Dwezel Zappa. If you haven't heard it, you should totally check it out - they turn a song I hated into a song I really like.
That's favorite cover of all time.

Anyway, doing covers of Creep is kind of common, so there's a lot to choose from. Scarling's is my favorite, but the Scala and Kolacny Brothers' version is flippin beautiful. Scarling's Wave of Mutilation is great, it's pretty different from the original, but it works.

Jun 11, 2009
I haven't the time to read through 9 pages of replies, so I'll assume no-one has posted Adagio's cover of "Immigrant Song", originally by Led Zeppelin.

Funny story, I was actually exposed to the obscure French progressive neo-classical symphonic orchestral metal band version before I was exposed to the gods-of-rock version. When I discovered the original was by Led Zeppelin (whom I'm not very familiar with), I looked it up.

I was very disappointed after being exposed to the eargasm of the Adagio version.