Song Covers you prefer to the original

JoshFTL

Aug 18, 2009
Personally, I prefer Fightstars cover of 'Fear of the Dark' to Iron Maidens original. Obviously the Iron Maiden version is better, what with it being the original and all, but I just can't help preferring Fightstars version.

Turisas' cover of Boney M's 'Rasputin' gets an honorable mention as well. So Escapists, any covers you prefer to the originals?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L28dLudXqc ( << Fightstars Fear of the Dark cover.)

BonsaiK

Music Industry Corporate Whore
Nov 14, 2007
Anything by Bob Dylan. That's why his songs are covered so much - no matter how bad a job you do, it's always going to sound like gold compared to the original.

Rylot

May 14, 2010
Nirvana's cover of 'Man Who Sold the World'. I still think the original is good but I love that version of it.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Probably a little controversial, but...
I just can't stand Dave Gahan's voice, while I find Cristina Scabbia's quite pleasant.

Korenith

Oct 11, 2010
Metallica's Whiskey in a Jar just sits better with me for some reason. Not that the orginal isn't amazing too.

Also Thyrfing's cover of Over the Hills and gotta agree with the OP's Rasputin choice. The Fear of the Dark thing though... *shakes head in despair*

chach_face

Mar 2, 2010
I am currently unable to provide any video or audio, but I strongly recommend that you look dis shit up.
"Holy Diver" by kill.switch engage is much better than the one by Dio.

Check it out yo.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
I'll list a few...

Dope - You Spin Me Round
Alien Ant Farm - Smooth Criminal
Disturbed - Shout 2000
Great Big Sea - End of the World
Vice Squad - Enter Sandman
Korn - Word Up!
Korenith said:
Metallica's Whiskey in a Jar just sits better with me for some reason. Not that the orginal isn't amazing too.
I like the original just slightly more than Metallica's version. Both are damn good songs.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
chach_face said:
I am currently unable to provide any video or audio, but I strongly recommend that you look dis shit up.

Check it out yo.
-there ya go.

I disagree, by the way. They did a good job (and made a hilarious video), but Ronnie James mothafuckin' Dio still did it better [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkysjcs5vFU], in my humble opinion.

Contun

Mar 28, 2009
I think I prefer the Iron Maiden cover of UFO's Doctor Doctor.

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
I thought of Cash's Hurt when I was still halfway reading the title of this thread.

But he has done several other good covers as well. This would be the second best, for me at least:

TeeBs

Oct 9, 2010

Isn't it mutually accepted that Jeff Buckley's version is like 100x better then Leonard Cohen's, hell Leonard didn't even like his version and only became popular post humorously, Though I guess the same could be said about Jeff.

JoshFTL

Aug 18, 2009
chach_face said:

Check it out yo.
Can't believe I didn't remember that one! Forget Fightstar, Holy Diver by Killswitch is my favourite cover!

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
TeeBs said:

Isn't it mutually accepted that Jeff Buckley's version is like 100x better then Leonard Cohen's, hell Leonard didn't even like his version and only became popular post humorously, Though I guess the same could be said about Jeff.
For that song, I'm actually rather enamored with Bon Jovi's version.