Sony Admits Private PSN Info Has Been Stolen - All Of It

Sentox6

Jun 30, 2008
Thedek said:
Does that mean I should or should not see about getting a new debit card and maybe going to the back to change account passwords/ a new account period?
Sony don't seem to think card information has been taken, but how much faith you want to put in them is another matter. It's a pain, but better safe than sorry is often a good motto, so I would consider changing your debit card.

There's no real reason to change your bank account passwords or consider getting another account, unless you were using the same password for PSN (or if the answer to your password security question is information that might tie to your bank account). If you were careful about not reusing passwords, though, there's no reason to worry on this front.

Sentox6

Jun 30, 2008
Thedek said:
I have this feeling I should trade in my ps3 and my games to gamestop due to this bullshit but that may be jumping the gun. Luckily almost all my new games are 360 due to me liking the controller set ups( see the back shoulder buttons aren't shit) much better.
What's done is done and nothing will undo that now, unfortunately. If you've enjoyed playing games on your PS3 up until now, then I say keep it.

Still having to go to town on a day I normally don't have to when I am damn near phobic to going outside when I don't have to pisses me off.
Try giving your bank a call. With mine I can cancel a card and have a new one mailed out. You might get lucky. You should certainly be able to cancel it by phone.

floppylobster

Oct 22, 2008
The problem I have with this is the shift to online transactions and credit card micro transactions. If everything I paid for was just paid for when I bought things at a shop (like the old fashioned way) and I didn't have to keep buying add-ons that really should have shipped with the games, then only two or three hundred people might have their data stolen by shop assistants and not 77 million because Sony had their credit card details and shopping habits stored on their (apparently unsafe) servers. And Sony aren't the only ones doing this (Apple, Microsoft, etc), they're just the first ones to have the problems with the system exposed.

Voodoomancer

Jun 8, 2009
poiuppx said:
Pyrokinesis said:
killamanhunter said:
Let's see the timeline

1st: Sony sues Geohotz and everyone goes against Sony
2nd: Anon attacks Sony and everyone goes against Anon
3rd: Geo drops out and Anon tries one last ditch effort to feel like they mean something in this fight no one likes anyone
4th: PSN goes down everyone hates Sony and Anon
5th PSN stays down and Anons all like "we did nothing bro!" everyone hates Sony
6th: everyone get's their stuff stolen off of PSN and we go back to everyone hates both sides in the fight

point is if we can put music on a compact disc....
It is a bloody song and dance and quite frankly Sony is good at it. All it takes is one specially worded excerpt of vauge words and hidden potentials to make everyone jump off the deep end and start blaming Anon. When are they gona admit that the data was "capable" of being stolen but was not downloaded. Never, that would make their case look weak. They have to paint Anon as "malicious hackers" and they did it well without saying a word. Well done sony, And well done mindless masses who believe them.
Wait, are you suggesting they did this to THEMSELVES just to demonize Anon? @_@ They are seriously positioned to lose money hand over fist from this. They could damn well be nailed badly enough that SCEA as we know it could be ghosted. US Senators are getting up in arms, class-action lawsuits are going up, consumer confidence is flying out the window, and their stock undoubtedly is going to take a pummeling so bad, if this was MMA the ref would need to call a stoppage for inability to actively defend one's self. You CAN NOT seriously think they did this- ALL this -to themselves just to make people mad at Anon.
Never underestimate people's ability to royally fuck themselves over, an the ability of schemes to backfire spectacularly.

Da_Vane

Dec 31, 2007
Sony already released the PS3 with linux, and for those who DID NOT UPDATE they can still run their PS3s using linux. GeoHotz basically revealed an exploit that already existed, that Sony thought to lock down rather than actually recall and replace, like a responsible manufacturer would. Car manufacturers who find out the brakes on their latest model are defective reveal the brakes are defective and recall the cars - they don't just lock out the breaks and pretend everything is fine. All it takes is someone to unlock the brakes or someone to not get the patch, and the defective breaks remain an issue.

As for Anonymous - I doubt they are behind the latest series of hacks if personal information has been stolen. What would Anonymous do with personal information? The moment they attempted to use it any way, they'd get busted. Their normal tactics are to name and shame - so incriminating evidence, player logs, things like that, sure - and you can bet they'd be public somewhere if the gamers involved were doing something embarrassing and dodgy. Anything else isn't really their style at all.

The fact that they've been denying the PSN attacks, after having admitted to an initial wave, when they are the type of people who, despite being Anonymous, want you to know that it is Anonymous doing whatever they are doing and why, lead me to believe that Anonymous has no involvement. They know hurting gamers isn't going to help their cause, so they've stopped. Even though that were all for bringing down the PSN and getting stupid gamers off their Sony addiction to see the truth know that stealing from Gamers isn't going to help their cause.

Of course, it depends upon whether or not the details HAVE been stolen. I wouldn't put it past Anonymous to show how they MIGHT be stolen by someone else if Sony don't sort their shit out, because showing up Sony's incompetence and complete disregard for their customer's safety IS Anonymous' style.

Whatever is the case - you can be sure that Sony doesn't know, and if Anonymous IS involved, they would be telling everyone EXACTLY what they did. After all, what are the authorities going to do - try and arrest the Internet? There's a hell of a lot of lawsuits waiting in that regard, and with so much of the developed world's economy based on the Internet, there will be a global recession that will tank many nations. I don't see anybody in the developed world trying that any time soon...

e.wlmo4

Oct 9, 2010
winter2 said:
I am wondering about something.. I played DC Universe Online for about 1 month on the PC. Does that mean that I should consider whatever information I put in there as compromised?

If so, thank God I only use a prepaid card for online junk!
SOE said that their servers are separate from PSN's so unless you went through PSN in there you should be fine

Elmithian

Mar 20, 2009
I am tired of explaining this to people. Please stop using that term incorrectly... -_-

It is crackers sirs, not hackers.

Hackers are usually those who find loopholes in firewalls, defend system from crackers etc. I hope you do realize that most hackers don't simply go waltzing into systems to ruin and destroy them. Most of them who hack into system do it simply for the thrill of it and a big part of them actually points the person/company out where their defense could be better.

Cracker is a term usually used by white-collar hackers (those who work for governments or companies) to define the difference between a person who hacks to/for destroy/personal gain, and a person who simply wants to push his abilities to the limit.

Cracker, sir, is the one who wants to ruin your life, usually in every way they can.
According to the definition of a cracker they are; cracker, that is, someone who breaks into computers with malicious or criminal intentions. Used by white hat computer security hackers to stress the difference in ethics.

If the person who hacked the PSN uses those information (for his gain or others), then he is a cracker. If he simply did it check whether he could get in and not for personal gain (money, destruction of accounts etc.) then he is usually called a hacker.
(unless he damaged the psn system in the progress, then he certainly is a cracker)

Saying that all hackers are trying to ruin you is pretty close to saying that every person in Germany is a Nazi. Sure, there exists modern time Nazis but those are an incredibly small number (actually smaller in Germany than in many other countries) and they are not well liked by anyone. The same goes for hackers. Crackers are just a small number of the whole and they are thoroughly disliked by most hackers.

Better explanation than mine can be found here:
http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/security/hacker-vs-cracker/1400
and here:
http://www.iwriteiam.nl/HackerDef.html

NOTE: Also, if those of you who don't think that small article is convincing enough I can give them over 20 links to similar articles written by people that actually work in this business.

EDIT: I thoroughly apologize for this sidetrack and apologize to anyone who thinks I insulted them with this. That is not my goal here.

EDIT2: If someone who works in this field disagrees with me please explain to me why. Nothing is mottled in stone, my viewpoint included. That will be all.

Elm signing off.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Torque669 said:
Wow ... This is just horrendous. They waited a week to tell anyone this, the flippin' idiots ... I dont know how PS3 "fanboys" can even attempt to rectify this. I heard arguments saying that it was "Free" and as such "Shouldnt complain its down" but just because its free doesnt mean people should lose credit card information.

I cant even come up with any idea how Sony are going to make this up to their customers.
Replace any missing money, perhaps? In any case, you'd think such a massive corporation would have measures in place to stop something like this, or at least soften the blow.

Danzaivar

Jul 13, 2004
Awexsome said:
Dorkmaster Flek said:
Awexsome said:
Good ol' hackers. Fighting for your consumer rights against the evil corporation that takes away your rights...

Oh wait they have been douchebags the whole time in this case. Nevermind. Fuck you Geohotz for probably causing all this by releasing that code. If not then you certainly encouraged it.
You mind explaining how a hack to run homebrew code on your PS3 enabled the entire security of the PSN to be compromised? Sony's horrendous security is at fault here, not hackers playing homebrew code.
The PSN was obviously prepared for stuff like this to happen before hence no massive issues like this yet.

It wasn't prepared to deal with hackers potentially having the end all be all code that jailbreaks the PS3.
If I have the key to your shed, that doesn't mean I can break into your house. What the hell has geohot even got to do with anything here? It's a (fucking hopefully) completely separate system. I doubt they're running the PSN accounts database on PS3's, even if they was they wouldn't be accessible by members of the public.

Are you actually thinking when you speak? You're drawing a totally false link here. =/

nipsen

Sep 20, 2008
..the ps3 "keys" don't really have anything to do with the massive fail that is the internal security on the psn.

But if we have to use the keys analogy.. There's a public library. It's open from 10am to 16pm every day (except holidays). It works just fine, everyone who uses it are happy with those rules. One day the librarian decides to close shop every day at random hours, and when pressed, they say it's because people never return the books - so now they're going to punish everyone. So someone steals the key to the library, puts it on a string outside the door, and says - thank you, but we'll be helping ourselves from now on. No worries, I'm sure the fact that someone might abuse this is possible to handle. Oh, and f***** you.

Shadie777

Feb 1, 2011
pyramid head grape said:
good thing I never on it and all my info on my PSN is fake XD
My god, your avatar brings me nightmares.
This is the only thing I really need to say.

pyramid head grape

[Game-Over]
Feb 4, 2011
Shadie777 said:
pyramid head grape said:
good thing I never on it and all my info on my PSN is fake XD
My god, your avatar brings me nightmares.
This is the only thing I really need to say.
<--- she wouldn't hurt a fly ... really she wouldn't put a needle in your sandwich, hack off limbs or beat you to death with a steel pipe no she is nice and sweet ... most of the time :mad:

samaugsch

Oct 13, 2010
Casual Shinji said:
BlueMage said:
Hackers this, hackers that ... not a one of you (apologies for gross generalisation) seems to know what a hacker actually is and what they do.
Do they...hack?
No, that can't be right. Who would think that HACKers hack?