Sony Admits Private PSN Info Has Been Stolen - All Of It

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
TU4AR said:
Huuuur, yeah because Anon totally have the resources and skills to pull off a precise attack like this.

Morons.

Anon is good at brute-force and nothing else, anything this sophisticated is going to be done by professionals.
This is largely true. While I'm sure they have a few legitimate hackers in their ranks, the majority of Anonyomous's "hackers" are what real hackers refer to as "script kiddies." If you look at that chatlog that's floating around, there's even a derogatory reference to "skiddies," which I'm pretty sure is shorthand for script kiddies. Well, either that, or there's a misspelled Pokemon that knows how to do DoS attacks.

Ericb

Sep 26, 2006
Owyn_Merrilin said:
TU4AR said:
Huuuur, yeah because Anon totally have the resources and skills to pull off a precise attack like this.

Morons.

Anon is good at brute-force and nothing else, anything this sophisticated is going to be done by professionals.
This is largely true. While I'm sure they have a few legitimate hackers in their ranks, the majority of Anonyomous's "hackers" are what real hackers refer to as "script kiddies." If you look at that chatlog that's floating around, there's even a derogatory reference to "skiddies," which I'm pretty sure is shorthand for script kiddies. Well, either that, or there's a misspelled Pokemon that knows how to do DoS attacks.
It just sucks that the term hacker has been distorted to a point that it is widely considered to be a synonym to crackers/criminals.

Just to clarify it, John Carmack subscribes to the Hacker Ethic completely. That should give anyone a starting notion of what the term actually means.

Droppa Deuce

Dec 23, 2010
Look, in the short term this actually affects me LESS than the bros who hacked MW2 and fucked with all my stats and earned guns and attachments etc, and generally broke the game for me. I haven't played the game for 2 months because of the hack (not a big loss really).

I urge everyone to just go to their local banks and order a new credit card. 7 million people's data has been compromised. The chance of you being defrauded is likely going to be less in the next few days as the hackers (most likely) start selling the data off to the highest bidders or the clients who ordered it to be data-mined in the first place.

If you can, transfer any cash into a 2nd account and leave a small amount in the original one if need be for pocket money (at least until you get a new card).

The new PSN update will prompt us to change our PSN passwords anyway. And then it is up to us, the consumer to update our accounts with our new credit card details (which I won't be doing, the only PSN purchase I've made is Angry Birds).

At worst people who follow the above steps may get junk email. If anyone gets a full on case of identity theft, and can prove its linked to the PSN hack (which may be hard), raise some cash and sue Sony.

It sucks, but it ain't that bad. Just get a new credit/debit card ASAP.

XxSummonerxX

May 17, 2009
Damn...

I don't think this was "anonymous" though. I know they're not a single collective, but generally this isn't in their style.

YunikoYokai5

Jun 16, 2010
...phew XD just looked back though my banking history with PSN. Luckily, it seems the card I've used on PSN has since expired and I haven't gotten around to using my new card on it...thank God ^.^' I think I'll just buy those gift voucher things when buying something off PSN instead in the future.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
good god, i forgot ppl have their credit card numbers saved in their whatevers...
well then, this has suddenly become truly serious lol

sir...they've broken into our private psn information data systems
what did they steal?!
...all of it

linkvegeta

Dec 18, 2010
So I decided to talk to my hacker friends who may or may not be part of anonymous and apparently, once sony has things back up and running they will knock it back down..... again and again for about 3 years. but dont feel bad for they plan the same thing for the Xbox live...

there is nothing I can do so ill sit back and watch shit hit the fan.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
Thank goodness I never put my card details on my account 0.0 At least I dont think I did - Ive never bought anything from it so why would I have? Im gonna go change all my passwords though -.-

Frig sake Sony...

L-J-F

Jun 22, 2008
Well hopefully it's just a "haha hack sony to destroy credibility" and not "muahahah we theifed all your mone$z!". Sony are pissed that they didn't get to sell all that info like Google or FB :D

General_Potatoes

Jun 22, 2009
Im so glad that I haven't bought a ps3 yet. Hopefully now, my friends won't go on about how the ps3 is better than the 360 every goddamn day.

Sep 14, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Well, I'll just watch my bank records closely for a few months, change my card, and change my PSN password when I get online. I'll change my Netflix and e-mail passwords, too. Just to be safe. Since they were the same as my PSN password.

The rest of the info is pretty much public domain, anyway.

I still fail to see how being hacked is Sony's fault. They got hacked. And it's not like we know the details of the security systems that were in place, either. It couldn't have been an easy hack, though.

Now...if they've been withholding information and knew this was stolen last week...that's a dick move and Sony's at fault for not informing us ASAP.
this in every single aspect

OT: urgh...this is going to make my job 100000x worse, working in the fraud department is going to suck in the next month more than likely =\

fuck you hackers. fuck. you. I'm about to block out all your bullshit one by one.

GraegoriHauss

Jul 13, 2008
PC-gaming master race reporting in.

Laughing like a boss at all of this because I was smart enough to not ever give Sony the time of day much less any sensitive info, not once in my entire life.

I used fake info for my PSN account and never bought anything, so there's no info from me for anyone to steal. Never even used the account, if I recall correctly; just made it because I was bored, on a PSP. Which is now broken 4 months after I got it because Sony is shit at technological design.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go back to not giving a flying fuck about any of this.

Phoenixlight

Aug 24, 2008
How the fuck does something like this even happen? Sony has millions if not billions of dollars, how could they not have a super awesome security system in place? I sold my PS3 5 months ago but I don't think I ever officially closed my account so I'll have to be cautious.

iLikeHippos

Jan 19, 2010
First thought that comes to mind; HAHAHAHA WAS THAT JUST A PANDEMIC HACKING INCIDENT?! HOLY SHIT HAHA!

Second thought that comes to mind; Man, this must suck for anyone who ever bought a PS3. Glad I stayed away from it. :D

Third thought that comes to mind; I can't WAIT to see the aftermath of this! I want the follow-up news NOW more than I ever wanted LOTR; The Return of the King.

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
this is epic drama, granted i dont have a psn account so thats why i feel no gravitas over this... but i am taking a perverse glee in the fallout, im sorry about that but i cant help it.

it will be interesting to see if sony was right all along and it was geohotz, fault... if it was it will have serious repercussions for consumers, in what they can legally do with a purchased product.

im kind of hoping it was some random anons trying to put the big hurt on sony, that on the other hand would reinforce consumer legal rights... who knows maybe it was an inside job to prevent this. all that is for certain is that this will have an interesting conclusion

Sentox6

Jun 30, 2008
linkvegeta said:
So I decided to talk to my hacker friends who may or may not be part of anonymous and apparently, once sony has things back up and running they will knock it back down..... again and again for about 3 years. but dont feel bad for they plan the same thing for the Xbox live...

there is nothing I can do so ill sit back and watch shit hit the fan.
I can't tell you how much I'm laughing at your "hacker friends" right now. And you for believing them, a little bit. Seriously, thanks for putting a smile on my face.

In other news, apparently Geohot decided to pipe up: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-04-28-geohot-psn-hack-nothing-to-do-with-me

And to those saying it isn't Sony's fault for getting hacked, I can only reiterate that if passwords were compromised, it's quite likely Sony were using plain text storage instead of cryptographic hashing. If that is indeed the case, then there are really no words for just how monumentally Sony have screwed up. It certainly doesn't bode well for their security systems as a whole. I mean hell, when I was a 16-year old kid building a MySQL backend for a gaming fansite, I had the sense to use cryptographic hashing for user account passwords... it just defies belief.

Bobbity

Mar 17, 2010
scythian0528 said:
If PSN was so easily compromised, then Sony is entirely at fault. The silver lining in this is that they will be forced to correct their problems. This is why blackhats are important.
You know that did blackhats not exist, this wouldn't be a problem in the first place? :p Just an interesting little thing.

OT: I agree that Sony is at fault here, but I'd be far more concerned with catching the people who carried out the hack than bitching about Sony's weak security. I've seen almost no discussion of the former whatsoever, but almost every seems to be taking to the latter with a childlike abandon.

Sentox6

Jun 30, 2008
Some more news: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/116/1164601p1.html

The personal data table, which is a separate data set, was not encrypted, but was, of course, behind a very sophisticated security system that was breached in a malicious attack.
Evidently not sophisticated enough. Still, this is more or less confirming that passwords weren't encrypted, which is just mind-blowing.

At least it seems like credit card data wasn't compromised. That's something.