Sony Admits Private PSN Info Has Been Stolen - All Of It

Apr 28, 2008
And this is why I don't use credit cards. Well this and some other reasons, but mainly this.

Can't steal what doesn't exist!

But I'll have to change some passwords...

insanelich

Reportable Offender
Sep 3, 2008
Awexsome said:
insanelich said:
Awexsome said:
insanelich said:
Awexsome said:
Good ol' hackers. Fighting for your consumer rights against the evil corporation that takes away your rights...

Oh wait they have been douchebags the whole time in this case. Nevermind. Fuck you Geohotz for probably causing all this by releasing that code. If not then you certainly encouraged it.
So you're blaming Geohot and "hackers"... for stealing your credit card data? Hah.

Nope, matey. This is just good old fashioned online criminals.
Online criminals who wouldn't have been able to do this without the help of Geohotz. And "hackers" those hackers are the criminals. They are one and the same. Period.
Okay, so you got any evidence of these accusations?

Or any evidence at all to support your outlandish claims? No? Thought so.
Custom PS3's that would have the authority to do this were impossible without the root key posted by Geohotz.

This is why the key wasn't released by Sony. Is it that hard to get through your head?
And if custom PS3's could do this all along... well, their security seriously wasn't up to par.

And this is why the key wasn't released? Not because, uh, it could be used to sign PS3 executable files, meaning it's perfect for piracy?

MattAn24

Pulse l'Cie
Jul 16, 2009
Korten12 said:

Uh... Some clarfication..?
Very fucking serious. So serious that if I ever discover the names of the hackers involved.. I will find them. And I will make them pay for their crimes. I have always hated malicious hackers.

I understand that there are innocent "modders" out there, who I won't tarnish with the name "hacker". Hackers are cruel, sadistic bastards and need to be eradicated. They aren't human beings if they go around doing shit like this.

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
tcurt said:
The root key alone would not allow you to come anywhere close to being able to do something like this. It's Sony's net code that the hackers had to breach, not anything held internally within a specific PS3, and it obviously wasn't all that difficult.
But without the ability to run custom code AND access the PSN, they would never have been able to try. Hotz may not be the perpetrator here, but he is at least an enabler. Without his "mischief" whoever is behind this attack would never have been able to get whatever data they now got. Sony had good reasons to not allow custom code on the PSN, as this debacle shows without a doubt.

Don't get me wrong, I am very angry at Sony for apparently running a weak security (if any) inside the PSN itself, but as long as they were able to control the access there was no risk. Thanks to Geohotz and the other crackers who breached open the PS3 the door was open for actual attacks, and I do hold them responsible for that.

Apr 28, 2008
Sir John the Net Knight said:
Anyone still think hackers are harmless?
After all, hackers are just losers sitting in basements and can't do anything to affect anyone in the real world.

Herp derp

Seriously though, the fact that people see them as completely harmless is really scary. And if I was a hacker, it would be really awesome.

Agent Larkin

Apr 6, 2009
That Guy Who Phails said:
Agent Larkin said:
However I now have to go to a friend of mine and make him eat his PS3 fanboy words. >:)
Shuddup, dude, this is serious, my poor old Grandpa might have his bank account emptied because of this....
Please see the other two sentences where I feel sorry about the PS3 users having this happen.

KTHNXBYE

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
Is it wrong that I want these hackers, whoever they are, publicly crucified?

Anyways, my well wishes go out to any PS3 owner. I hope that noting bad happens to you.

Snake Plissken

Jul 30, 2010
Well...

...at least PSN is free. Had this been Microsoft's fuck up, we'd all still totally get charged for their "service".

headshotcatcher

Feb 27, 2009
JourneyThroughHell said:
Well it has existed for 5 years and it has taken that long for any serious hacking to happen.
Not to mention, they did try their best to keep security high (but that wasn't met with happiness from consumers either, exhibit A: the firmware uproar)

Besides, is it even possible for a worldwide company to be have 100% security? Especially in the digital world...

ShadowKatt

Mar 19, 2009
RT-Medic-with-shotgun said:
ShadowKatt said:
Korten12 said:
So, wonder who supports the Hackers now...
I do.

Do you still support the police even though a few brutalize citizens?
Do you still support the military even though a few murder civilians?

Any group big enough will have bad cells. I'm still grappling with some of that myself as I am very distrustful of the police because of those few bad ones. But even I acknowledge that they're not all bad, and neither are hackers.
And just to throw more into your line lumping every group together when it has no clear affiliation is not wise. Saying hacker and meaning anonymous is a foolish jump to make.
If I wanted to say anonymous, I would have. I chose my words very carefully. I said police without specifying the Detroit Metro police or the Vancouver Highway Patrol. I said Soldiers, not the US Marine Corps, or the British Royal Navy, or the Israeli...whatever they're calling themselves these days. Despite what they might like you to believe, Anonymous does NOT encompass all the hackers of the world NOR do they represent them. There are many other hackers that operate either on their own or in smaller groups completely isolated from the rest of the world.

You're right, saying "Hacker" and meaning "Anonymous" would be a foolish jump to make.

That's why I didn't make it.

Captain Booyah

Apr 19, 2010
WHO'S LAUGHING NOW, FANBOYS?! HAHAHAHA

Joke, joke. Seriously, this is actually pretty terrible. I don't have a PS3 myself, but plenty of my friends do.

Goddamn, hackers are just a plague unto this earth. Thousands of innocent peoples' information has been compromised all for the sake of some fuckheads at a computer either thinking "HAR HAR LET'S HACK PSN FOR SHITS N' GIGGLES" or they're doing it 'for the greater good' and proving some pathetic 'point', when in reality, they're not smart. They're not clever. They're just fuckheads.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
this is all hackers blame them not Sony granted they could have had better protection but there hackers they make it there life's work to get in places there not wanted. in most cases it after something happen that they fix the problem

MrGalactus

Elite Member
Sep 18, 2010
Right, I was perfectly fine with sacrificing time on PSN to stand up for gamers privacy rights, but now those very rights have been infringed by the people standing up for it. Now I'm on team no one. I will not support Sony, and I will not support the Anon wannabes. I'll be cancelling all my shit, selling my PS3, and permanently switching to 360.
See ya Sony!

Misho-

May 20, 2010
Awexsome said:
Good ol' hackers. Fighting for your consumer rights against the evil corporation that takes away your rights...

Oh wait they have been douchebags the whole time in this case. Nevermind. Fuck you Geohotz for probably causing all this by releasing that code. If not then you certainly encouraged it.
Thank you... Just what I was thinking... And before anyone tells me anything about hacktivists and being and unrelated subject and all... I'm just going to think about my profile, credit card info and the likes... I hate it... Why oh why... I hope the one who got all the info didn't use the PS3 root key posted online to hack into the PSN service... Probably unrelated tho', but still...

Actual

Jun 24, 2008
erbkaiser said:
tcurt said:
The root key alone would not allow you to come anywhere close to being able to do something like this. It's Sony's net code that the hackers had to breach, not anything held internally within a specific PS3, and it obviously wasn't all that difficult.
But without the ability to run custom code AND access the PSN, they would never have been able to try. Hotz may not be the perpetrator here, but he is at least an enabler. Without his "mischief" whoever is behind this attack would never have been able to get whatever data they now got. Sony had good reasons to not allow custom code on the PSN, as this debacle shows without a doubt.

Don't get me wrong, I am very angry at Sony for apparently running a weak security (if any) inside the PSN itself, but as long as they were able to control the access there was no risk. Thanks to Geohotz and the other crackers who breached open the PS3 the door was open for actual attacks, and I do hold them responsible for that.
What, no. You're just making this up.

Stop making a link between Geohotz and this crime for which there is no evidence just because you want to blame him. It's illogical and unfair.