Sony: Big Titles Coming to PSP This Year

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Sony: Big Titles Coming to PSP This Year

Though the PSP's line-up may feel like it's waning, Sony says 2010 will be a big year for the handheld.

SCEA Senior Vice President of Publisher Relations Rob Dyer is thankfully done down [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98398-Sony-Bashes-Microsofts-Check-Writing-Policy-Again] the competition (for now), and has made a few comments on the future of his own company instead. Specifically, he says big things are going to happen for the PSP this year as far as third-party releases are concerned, and that Sony plans to fix what went wrong with the PSPgo.

When asked about the launch of the PSPgo, Dyer told IndustryGamers [http://www.industrygamers.com/news/psp-to-see-big-big-titles-this-year-promises-sony/] that Sony's intention was to make purchasing games easier for consumers, and to eliminate some of the piracy issues plaguing the PSP. However, he admits: "Did the PSPgo confuse [consumers]? Yeah, I think the higher price point didn't help matters any either."

For those not in the know, the PSPgo removed the previous system iterations' UMD drive and could only play games downloaded through the internet, which cost the same as those available in stores. It was also launched at $249, which some believe is an absurd price even though the system looks quite chic. According to Dyer, Sony is "going back and re-communicating" on the PSPgo, and we will "see a lot of things coming out from [Sony] to better educate and inform the consumer." Sounds vague, but I hope by that he means that game download prices will be lowered in 2010.

As for upcoming PSP games, Dyer says: "We still have a very robust lineup this year from third parties on the PSP, starting with Metal Gear Peace Walker. I won't go through the whole lineup because I want our third-party partners to make those announcements, but there are some big, big titles coming out this year and you'll see those announcements at GDC, DPS (Destination PlayStation) or E3."

I love my PSP, and Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/95015-Peace-Walker-Trailer-Reminds-Us-Why-We-Love-Metal-Gear] is definitely something I'm looking forward to, along with the Lunar remake and Valkyria Chronicles 2, but other than those three games there isn't a whole lot more on my "to buy" list where the PSP is concerned. The PSP has been somewhat of a refuge for unique RPGs, so perhaps we'll see more of those this year on the platform. Dyer's got me intrigued as to what these "big, big titles" are actually going to be.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Hey Dyer just because you guys are coming up with long titles doesn't mean they are "big" titles.

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
The PSP has been somewhat of a refuge for unique RPGs
I don't know that I agree, but I also don't have one myself (though I am a little interested). Seems to me the DS is the place to go for niche rpgs lik "The Dark Spire", "Etrian Oddessy 1&2", "Izuna", "Shiren the Wanderer", and all that.

Anyone know what's available as far as rpgs like this go on the psp?

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
According to Dyer, Sony is "going back and re-communicating" on the PSPgo, and we will "see a lot of things coming out from [Sony] to better educate and inform the consumer."
This sounds like "We're going to spin the FUCK out of the PSP Go to try and make it seem like it's something worth buying."

Hopefully this process doesn't involve Kevin Butler, who has so far only appeared in commercials for Sony products that actually merit purchasing.

I mean, jeez: unless they re-initialize that plan to allow people to get digital copies of games they already own for free, I can't see anyone changing their minds about the Go.

EDIT: Whoa, that was fucking bizarre. I wrote Kevin Costner when I meant Butler.

Generator

May 8, 2009
The only game I'm looking forward to this year for my PSP is Birth by Sleep, so hopefully some other great games will come out, too. Of course, I could always dip into the back catalogue a little, but honestly, I'm a bit too lazy for that.

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
I enjoy my PSP and i can't wait for what's in store. Hopefully they make up for the mess that was PSPno i mean PSPgo

keybird

Jun 1, 2009
The only reason I bought a PSP was for Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep, which I haven't found the money to buy yet

PurpleLeafRave

Hyaaaa!
Feb 22, 2009
I'm buying a DS this year for Soul Silver, Golden Sun DS and some other RPG's that escape me.

However if those announcements are good, it might persuade me otherwise. It's unlikely, because nostalgia always gets the better of me.

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
Can't wait. I haven't gotten a new PSP game since Dissidia so it is good to know a lot more titles will be coming out

[sub]Fingers crossed for Loco Roco 3[/sub]

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
I can see myself getting a Sony device this year, but I don't see it being the PSP especially after the horrors of the PSPgo.

Christemo

Jan 13, 2009
i dont have a PSP currently, and ill probably not get one just yet (financial stuff, me about to buy a TV, etc.), but i hope this is true.

theres Peace Walker, of course, then theres the rumoured SF4 PSP and there will probably be some ps1 games or something to download for it as well.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
I've had a PSP since they launched in the UK (2005 I think). I haven't bought a a game for it since GTA Vice City Stories. Peace Walker is probably the only PSP game I'm actually looking forward to.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Christemo said:
MetaKnight19 said:
The only game I'm planning on getting for the PSP is Half-Minute Hero
you are aware that HMH has been out since October, right?
Only in America. It was only released 2 days ago in Europe, on the 19th of Feb. Denmark is in the PAL region, isn't it? I thought someone like you would have picked up on that.