Sony Claims It Told Users of PSN Info Breach Immediately

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
oldtaku said:
JDKJ said:
You may wanna hone you facetiousness and sarcasm skills a bit more. Because that shit wasn't obvious to me. It sounded to me like you were trying to make a legitimate point.
The original was a legitimate point. The response was... you know what, just forget it kid. I think you've illustrated the original point quite well enough. And the secondary point! Do you wish to get deeper into Scott Adams territory at this time?
No. I'm wishing you'd type understandable sentences in English. And that you didn't refer to me as "kid" thereby reducing the possibility that I will refer to you as "shit-head." But other than that, I ain't got no wishes.

MattAn24

Pulse l'Cie
Jul 16, 2009
-Samurai- said:
Still no notification here.

If they can spam their newsletters to millions of e-mails at once, they can certainly send out a warning for something like this.

And as far as the whole "You should be constantly checking the blog and Twitter for information" bullshit, does anyone do that for every product they own? Ever swipe your card at a store? Do you constantly check that stores blog to see if your information was compromised on their end? Hell no.

I expect identity theft protection paid for by Sony for the next 5 years. The state of Ohio did it for me when a local politician just happened to be carrying around a disk of names and social security numbers belonging to over half the population of this city, and had the disk stolen from his car. I see no reason why Sony can't protect me from their screw up.
That's an absurd comparison. Your PS3 is in your home. You use it regularly. If you have the time to check a "news site" for information about gaming, you can check direct updates from the source too. Your own problem~

blind_dead_mcjones

Oct 16, 2010
MattAn24 said:
blind_dead_mcjones said:
ffs, just read this
Thanks, man. Luckily someone has enough brain mass to talk some sense to these silly, ill-informed people..
your welcome

it gets taxing having to persistently having to deal with these people because they can't be bothered to find things out for themselves, makes me wonder how many of them understand the concept of buyer beware even at a rudimentary level

MattAn24

Pulse l'Cie
Jul 16, 2009
Y'know, I'm just gonna throw this out here.

To quote John DiMaggio from Futurama's DVD commentary.. Ahem!

Nobody caaaaaares... Nobody cares nobody cares nobody caaaaares! Nobody freeeeakin' caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaares~! :D

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
MattAn24 said:
-Samurai- said:

If they can spam their newsletters to millions of e-mails at once, they can certainly send out a warning for something like this.

And as far as the whole "You should be constantly checking the blog and Twitter for information" bullshit, does anyone do that for every product they own? Ever swipe your card at a store? Do you constantly check that stores blog to see if your information was compromised on their end? Hell no.

I expect identity theft protection paid for by Sony for the next 5 years. The state of Ohio did it for me when a local politician just happened to be carrying around a disk of names and social security numbers belonging to over half the population of this city, and had the disk stolen from his car. I see no reason why Sony can't protect me from their screw up.
That's an absurd comparison. Your PS3 is in your home. You use it regularly. If you have the time to check a "news site" for information about gaming, you can check direct updates from the source too. Your own problem~
Not my problem, Sonys.

As the consumer, it isn't my responsibility to be on constant alert for Sony screw ups. It is, however, their responsibility to notify their paying customers of any problems that could effect them or the product they paid for. Especially something as large as a massive increase in the chance of having your identity stolen due to a failure in their security system.

Should I also be checking the iTunes or Apple blog to make sure the information I provided to make purchases on iTunes wasn't stolen from them? Should I be watching the Netflix page 24/7 to make sure my information wasn't taken from them? Shit, I bought things from various online stores. Should I be watching their sites to make sure my information is ok? No? Then why the hell would I watch Sony?

Vash108

Jul 18, 2008
I just got mine.

"To protect against possible identity theft or other financial loss, we encourage you to remain vigilant, to review your account statements and to monitor your credit reports."

"We have also provided names and contact information for the three major U.S.
credit bureaus below. At no charge, U.S. residents can have these credit bureaus place a "fraud alert" on your file that alerts creditors to take additional steps to verify your identity prior to granting credit in your name. This service can make it more difficult for someone to get credit in your name. Note, however, that because it tells creditors to follow certain procedures to protect you, it also may delay your ability to obtain credit while the agency verifies your identity. "

Thanks Sony.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
MattAn24 said:
subtlefuge said:
MattAn24 said:
notyouraveragejoe said:
I'm sorry what? I'm a PSN user and I wasn't informed. At all. In any way shape or form. Not even warned about the possibility. I mean....I'd have loved to have been told. I mean...An email would have been nice. So I call LIES! Or at least not the full truth.
Learn to read the blog (both EU AND US blogs posted about it several times) AND their Twitter accounts. It was made well aware, and members of those blogs knew about it because they READ IT WHEN IT HAPPENED.
I'm thinking that major gaming news sites check up on these blogs periodically. Why are they so surprised about it then?
....You're kidding, right? You'd prefer a gaming news site, who are known for spinning the truth and giving biased reports, rather than reading the blog directly from the source as it happens?

Not gonna lie, I'm actually not surprised. Typical stupid people who don't read things properly. Assuming it will be in e-mails.. Ugh.. E-MAILS WERE "POSSIBLY" COMPROMISED. They stated "any e-mails that claim to be from us might just not be from us, be careful". Your own damn fault if you don't read up on it yourselves.
This.

Sylocat said:
Please read the entire post instead of just the title.
And this.

You both already said what I was thinking after reading the article and the comments.

I won't lie. After reading the title, I was about to get angry. But having actually read what was said, I was much calmer. So, I'm calling foul on the Escapist for this article. And on the readers for not actually reading the post.

Listen. Stop jumping to conclusions. Stop blaming Sony for this. They did not hack your information! They were attacked. Do what you can to protect your information, and wait to learn everything that has happened. That's about all that you can do. Once everything is resolved, then we can figure out what to do next. If Sony has some fault in the way they handled the situation, then they should be punished by the courts and us consumers. But until then, stop acting like Sony kicked your dog!

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
blind_dead_mcjones said:
MattAn24 said:
blind_dead_mcjones said:
ffs, just read this
Thanks, man. Luckily someone has enough brain mass to talk some sense to these silly, ill-informed people..
your welcome

it gets taxing having to persistently having to deal with these people because they can't be bothered to find things out for themselves, makes me wonder how many of them understand the concept of buyer beware even at a rudimentary level
i for one have that that bookmarked so i can find out whats happening

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
. . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . ,.-??. . . . . . . . . .``~.,
. . . . . . . .. . . . . .,.-?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .?-.,
. . . . .. . . . . . ..,/. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ?:,
. . . . . . . .. .,?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\,
. . . . . . . . . /. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,}
. . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`^`.}
. . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:?. . . ./
. . . . . . .?. . . __. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :`. . . ./
. . . . . . . /__.(. . .?~-,_. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`. . . .. ./
. . . . . . /(_. . ?~,_. . . ..?~,_. . . . . . . . . .,:`. . . . _/
. . . .. .{.._$;_. . .?=,_. . . .?-,_. . . ,.-~-,}, .~?; /. .. .}
. . .. . .((. . .*~_. . . .?=-._. . .?;,,./`. . /? . . . ./. .. ../
. . . .. . .\`~,. . ..?~.,. . . . . . . . . ..`. . .}. . . . . . ../
. . . . . .(. ..`=-,,. . . .`. . . . . . . . . . . ..(. . . ;_,,-?
. . . . . ../.`~,. . ..`-.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..\. . /\
. . . . . . \`~.*-,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..|,./.....\,__
,,_. . . . . }.>-._\. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|. . . . . . ..`=~-,
. .. `=~-,_\_. . . `\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . .`=~-,,.\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . `:,, . . . . . . . . . . . . . `\. . . . . . ..__
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .`=-,. . . . . . . . . .,%`>--==``
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . _\. . . . . ._,-%. . . ..`

Words cannot describe... but various symbols of writing can!

Sony, get your shit straight... this is just embarrassing...

blind_dead_mcjones

Oct 16, 2010
-Samurai- said:
MattAn24 said:
-Samurai- said:

Not my problem, Sonys.

As the consumer, it isn't my responsibility to be on constant alert for Sony screw ups. It is, however, their responsibility to notify their paying customers of any problems that could effect them or the product they paid for. Especially something as large as a massive increase in the chance of having your identity stolen due to a failure in their security system.
actually, it IS your problem, due to buyer beware

also, the only time a mass e-mail is sent out in regards to a issue with a consumer product is with motor vehicles, with everything other consumer product in the world notifcation is done via public notice services (blogs, newspapers, tv, etc)

seriously, the means to find this stuff out is at your disposal, use them

-Samurai- said:
Should I also be checking the iTunes or Apple blog to make sure the information I provided to make purchases on iTunes wasn't stolen from them? Should I be watching the Netflix page 24/7 to make sure my information wasn't taken from them? Shit, I bought things from various online stores. Should I be watching their sites to make sure my information is ok? No? Then why the hell would I watch Sony?

are you seriously that complacent and lazy?

yes, you should check to make sure it wasn't stolen. its your personal information, the onus is on you to safeguard it to the highest degree possible.

accepting personal responibility, how does that sound?

MattAn24

Pulse l'Cie
Jul 16, 2009
-Samurai- said:
MattAn24 said:
-Samurai- said:

Not my problem, Sonys.

As the consumer, it isn't my responsibility to be on constant alert for Sony screw ups. It is, however, their responsibility to notify their paying customers of any problems that could effect them or the product they paid for. Especially something as large as a massive increase in the chance of having your identity stolen due to a failure in their security system which I would have known about if I didn't solely rely on The Escapist for all of my gaming news!
Fixed that for you. :D It's not even just about emergency reports, they announce EVERYTHING there and sadly, you miss out because you're too arrogant/ignorant/pig-headed or whatever to bother reading it. That's where they announce ANYTHING about PSN. You can easily fix this by READING THE DAMN BLOG. They took PSN offline. People flocked to the PS Blog. Those that didn't.. Well.. Where else do you expect to get OFFICIAL NEWS direct from Sony. Monthly updates about game releases are automatic and only sent if you've applied for that mailing list. They're DoNotReply automatic e-mails.

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
Anybody in network security have an honest refrence frame for how long it should take to determine if secure data has been compromised. I mean, I wouldn't expect a retail outlet to figure out these things quickly, but I expect more from a tech company pusing all this online stuff.

Man I hope Penny Arcade tackles this.

And yeah, I'm glad Sony isn't in medicine. I'd hate to see someone with a potential highly contagious virus let into the public until they were sure what it was and if it was contagious.

mikev7.0

Jan 25, 2011
Emergent said:
You spin me right round, baby, right round....
Wow. Dead or Alive. How Appropriate. Is there a Technonecromancer in the PSHome? If so would you kindly send them round to my XBL account to retrieve my missing (what was it Microsoft lost....or right my) Profile!! (and yes that means my game saves as well.....sigh.)

Hey did I mention there actually might be a Shenmue 3?? (happyplacehappyplacehappyplacehappyplace)

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
-Samurai- said:
MattAn24 said:
-Samurai- said:

Not my problem, Sonys.

Why are you assuming that they have all the capabilities they had before they got hacked? Perhaps they no longer have their e-mail addresses handily available for use. Maybe they have to regather that information. Or identify from among it the account holders who gave them credit card information. Why should I receive an e-mail blast from Sony about compromised credit card information when I don't even own a credit card? That is truly "spam."

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
You couldn't come up with a more misleading title, could you? Cue people calling Sony a bunch of liars despite the fact that we don't know anything at this point.

Shauna Shields

Apr 27, 2011
I was never told about the breach. I tried to play Black Ops online and when it wouldn't let me sign in I looked it up on Google myself. I cancelled the credit card that was linked to it so I should be good. But has anyone heard when this will be fixed?! I know it sounds bad, but I miss my Black Ops!