Sony Claims It Told Users of PSN Info Breach Immediately

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Emergent said:
This is the problem with sensationalist journalism. Nowhere except on the title of an article at the Escapist has anyone in any official capacity actually claimed that anything was stolen, at all, ever, in regards to this issue. We wouldn't even have to be discussing this particular falsehood if the Escapist staff were under more pressure by the editors to do ethical reporting.
So then this, in an official statement from Sony that they posted on their blog and are e-mailing to all PSN members:
we believe that an unauthorized person has obtained the following information that you provided: name, address (city, state, zip), country, email address, birthdate, PlayStation Network/Qriocity password and login, and handle/PSN online ID.
Source [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/04/26/update-on-playstation-network-and-qriocity/]

Means nothing to you? Because what I see is Sony actually claiming in an official capacity that something was stolen.

But hey, that's the problem with sensationalist posting I guess. We wouldn't even have to be discussing this particular falsehood if you were under more pressure to do ethical posting. ;)

MattAn24

Pulse l'Cie
Jul 16, 2009
thethingthatlurks said:
JDKJ said:
thethingthatlurks said:
blind_dead_mcjones said:
thethingthatlurks said:
"We learned there was an intrusion April 19th and subsequently shut the services down," Seybold continued. "We then brought in outside experts to help us learn how the intrusion occurred and to conduct an investigation to determine the nature and scope of the incident. It was necessary to conduct several days of forensic analysis, and it took our experts until yesterday to understand the scope of the breach. We then shared that information with our consumers and announced it publicly this afternoon (April 26)."
How pray tell did you accomplish that, seeing as my inbox is devoid of any PSN emails. No phone calls either, or letters as of yet. Or did you guys use smoke signals? Yeah, that must be it. See, we have had some miserable weather over here...
as one other poster pointed out, twitter feeds and the playstation website blogs
That's not "sharing information with our [sic] customers." That's like putting up a single billboard in Hoboken, NJ, and making the same claim. Sony. Did. Not. Alert. The. Customers. There, nice and simple.
How would you suggest that they make customer aware of the risk? Based on the comments to this thread, they've started the process of sending advisory e-mails -- a process that I doubt can be entirely accomplish immediately. We're talking thousands if not millions of e-mails. What more would you expect them to do? Would you like them to send someone to knock on your door with a Singing Telegram?
Nope, mass emails the second a breach is suspected. I have used my credit card over PSN, and I will hold Sony responsible should there be any irregularities in my bank statements. To be honest, I just don't understand why there hasn't been a wave of warning emails when PSN got hacked, just so Sony could cover their collective ass given how litigious happy this country is...
That's absurd.. You're insane.

That's SEVENTY FIVE MILLION E-MAILS. That's not going to send immediately. They posted directly to the blog, which as Frank_Sinatra_ stated via PM, he has linked to his Facebook news feed as well. So it sends to HIM. It was definitely reported, you're obviously so adamant to have news force-fed to you that you don't have the ability to read for yourself.

If there's a breach, e-mails would be compromised. Sony's blog/main site is a regular site they post updates and news to. If you don't check it, that's your own damn fault. The main e-mails from PlayStation are automatic monthly game updates. Not updates from the blog. Stop being ignorant and grow up.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
thethingthatlurks said:
JDKJ said:
thethingthatlurks said:
blind_dead_mcjones said:
thethingthatlurks said:
"We learned there was an intrusion April 19th and subsequently shut the services down," Seybold continued. "We then brought in outside experts to help us learn how the intrusion occurred and to conduct an investigation to determine the nature and scope of the incident. It was necessary to conduct several days of forensic analysis, and it took our experts until yesterday to understand the scope of the breach. We then shared that information with our consumers and announced it publicly this afternoon (April 26)."
How pray tell did you accomplish that, seeing as my inbox is devoid of any PSN emails. No phone calls either, or letters as of yet. Or did you guys use smoke signals? Yeah, that must be it. See, we have had some miserable weather over here...
as one other poster pointed out, twitter feeds and the playstation website blogs
That's not "sharing information with our [sic] customers." That's like putting up a single billboard in Hoboken, NJ, and making the same claim. Sony. Did. Not. Alert. The. Customers. There, nice and simple.
How would you suggest that they make customer aware of the risk? Based on the comments to this thread, they've started the process of sending advisory e-mails -- a process that I doubt can be entirely accomplish immediately. We're talking thousands if not millions of e-mails. What more would you expect them to do? Would you like them to send someone to knock on your door with a Singing Telegram?
Nope, mass emails the second a breach is suspected. I have used my credit card over PSN, and I will hold Sony responsible should there be any irregularities in my bank statements. To be honest, I just don't understand why there hasn't been a wave of warning emails when PSN got hacked, just so Sony could cover their collective ass given how litigious happy this country is...
Because if your credit card number is stolen and used for fraudulent transactions, you can't be held liable for any resulting loss and therefore you can't hold Sony liable for any loss -- there is no loss to you for which to hold them responsible. Your credit card issuer's the one who has to eat the entire loss pie. That's a federal law (the Fair Credit Billing Act).

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
JDKJ said:
oldtaku said:
Hey, Sony Fanbois.

If you've gotten to the point where you're saying 'Escapist is bias' with a serious trollface, you've gone off the deep end. Seriously.

Please think for a bit about how willing you are to fight to the mat for a corporate behemoth who only sees you as a cow to be milked (this would apply to Microsoft or Nintendo as well in other contexts).
Are you saying that the Escapist isn't bias? If you are, I'll bet that you can't touch the bottom of the pool with your feet and not have the water cover your head. You are down by the end of the pool that has the diving board.
Well I guess they are obviously 'bias' since the front page isn't entirely full of your own posts.

And on a totally unrelated subject the inability to recognize facetiousness or sarcasm is one of the early warning signs of senile dementia. Please consider it.

Emergent

Oct 26, 2010
mjc0961 said:
We wouldn't even have to be discussing this particular falsehood if you were under more pressure to do ethical posting. ;)
Or if you understood the difference between a belief and a claim.

EDIT: Because some people don't like to finish reading things. This is a bit further down that page you linked: "While there is no evidence at this time that credit card data was taken, we cannot rule out the possibility." Emphasis mine. The bolded statement is just about the only part of that entire release that contains facts instead of spin and/or legalese.

MattAn24

Pulse l'Cie
Jul 16, 2009
mjc0961 said:
Emergent said:
This is the problem with sensationalist journalism. Nowhere except on the title of an article at the Escapist has anyone in any official capacity actually claimed that anything was stolen, at all, ever, in regards to this issue. We wouldn't even have to be discussing this particular falsehood if the Escapist staff were under more pressure by the editors to do ethical reporting.
So then this, in an official statement from Sony that they posted on their blog and are e-mailing to all PSN members:
we believe that an unauthorized person has obtained the following information that you provided: name, address (city, state, zip), country, email address, birthdate, PlayStation Network/Qriocity password and login, and handle/PSN online ID.
Source [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/04/26/update-on-playstation-network-and-qriocity/]

Means nothing to you? Because what I see is Sony actually claiming in an official capacity that something was stolen.

But hey, that's the problem with sensationalist posting I guess. We wouldn't even have to be discussing this particular falsehood if you were under more pressure to do ethical posting. ;)
Wait, so you instantly take "We believe" as "Nope, it's totally fact, guys. Fo' realz, yo."

Don't be ridiculous. Microsoft says the same thing. SquareEnix had a major issue with Real Money Traders/Gold Farmers in FFXI and a auto-banner than banned anyone that used the Mog House gardening mechanic suspiciously. Innocent people were banned by an automatic system. It took weeks to fix, but people were eventually able to return. Hell, there were even cases of compromised accounts. These took time to find out causes and what was actually compromised. People were updated via the FFXI website AND FFXI fan-sites reported the FULL STORY on every single fan-site possible so everyone saw it, just in case they were involved. The Escapist hasn't posted the full story to anything. The source (and often, their source) has far more detailed information.

So if you're just reading it from here and not looking it up further, you're insane.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
They still should've told us it was possible that our details could've been stolen right away.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
oldtaku said:
JDKJ said:
oldtaku said:
Hey, Sony Fanbois.

If you've gotten to the point where you're saying 'Escapist is bias' with a serious trollface, you've gone off the deep end. Seriously.

Please think for a bit about how willing you are to fight to the mat for a corporate behemoth who only sees you as a cow to be milked (this would apply to Microsoft or Nintendo as well in other contexts).
Are you saying that the Escapist isn't bias? If you are, I'll bet that you can't touch the bottom of the pool with your feet and not have the water cover your head. You are down by the end of the pool that has the diving board.
Well I guess they are obviously 'bias' since the front page isn't entirely full of your own posts.

And on a totally unrelated subject the inability to recognize facetiousness or sarcasm is one of the early warning signs of senile dementia. Please consider it.
You may wanna hone you facetiousness and sarcasm skills a bit more. Because that shit wasn't obvious to me. It sounded to me like you were trying to make a legitimate point. Like your point about my posts not filling the entire front page. Was that meant to be facetiousness or sarcasm? Because all I see in that is plain old-fashioned nonsense.

drisky

Mar 16, 2009
I never got an e-mail Sony, I had to find out via the Escapist. And honestly I'm very mad. Hell they never even sent out an email saying that they were hacked. Nothing at all and a lot of PSN users are likely to still be unaware.

Atheist.

Overmind
Sep 12, 2008
I really don't want to be a troll, but this ultimately seems like Anon actually taking revenge. A fuck-up of this caliber will really harm the credibility of Sony as a whole.

I mean seriously, losing their customers vital information is a serious breach of trust between to consumer and provider.

I know Anon denied this, but they're such a diversified group, I'm rather confident some of them (As little as that wording means) did this.

I actually find it amusing they can be taken down for so long, and apparently so easily. I personally loved the PSN, but I'm glad I also have XBL after this. I just hope Microsoft doesn't make a mistake like Sony. It would suck to have no console gaming. I'd be stuck with my PC then.

Emergent

Oct 26, 2010
Atheist. said:
I actually find it amusing they can be taken down for so long, and apparently so easily.
Sony. Employees. Shut. Down. The. PSN.

On purpose.

It was not "taken down" by outsiders.

You're welcome.

Necrofudge

May 17, 2009
Funny that they waited so long to tell people. Funny, but not unexpected.

If there was even the slightest chance that they could cover it up, then it's their obligation as a corporation to keep lying for as long as possible to save face.

It's a shame about psn still being down though. *Stares at xbox 360*
and nothing of value was lost

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
JDKJ said:
You may wanna hone you facetiousness and sarcasm skills a bit more. Because that shit wasn't obvious to me. It sounded to me like you were trying to make a legitimate point.
The original was a legitimate point. The response was... you know what, just forget it kid. I think you've illustrated the original point quite well enough. And the secondary point! Do you wish to get deeper into Scott Adams territory at this time?

MattAn24

Pulse l'Cie
Jul 16, 2009
THIS is how you report news properly. You go to the source. You interview the right people.

Kotaku AUSTRALIA does it right.
http://www.kotaku.com.au/2011/04/the-playstation-network-breach-how-why-and-by-whom/

MattAn24

Pulse l'Cie
Jul 16, 2009
drisky said:
I never got an e-mail Sony, I had to find out via the Escapist. And honestly I'm very mad. Hell they never even sent out an email saying that they were hacked. Nothing at all and a lot of PSN users are likely to still be unaware.
ENOUGH WITH THE NO E-MAIL CRAP.

Read. The. PlayStation. Blog. It's your own damn fault if you only get your news/updates from The Escapist and other such "news" sites, rather than directly from the source as it happens, like all the others commenting on THEIR blog and contacting them directly.

Ugh... I just.. But the.... ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGHHH!!!! >.<

blind_dead_mcjones

Oct 16, 2010
Wabblefish said:
Sony got a letter from the US senate or some other government higher up who was annoyed at them for not giving enough information in time lol. I can't be stuffed linking it but I bet if it's actually true the Escapist will have it up soon or already has it up.
if you can't be bothered to substansiate any information you recieve then don't bother posting it

drisky said:
ffs, just read this
MattAn24 said:
They posted directly to the blog, which as Frank_Sinatra_ stated via PM, he has linked to his Facebook news feed as well. So it sends to HIM. It was definitely reported.

If there's a breach, e-mails would be compromised. Sony's blog/main site is a regular site they post updates and news to. If you don't check it, that's your own damn fault. The main e-mails from PlayStation are automatic monthly game updates. Not updates from the blog.

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
Still no notification here.

If they can spam their newsletters to millions of e-mails at once, they can certainly send out a warning for something like this. I'm sure it'd take their tech team all of 10 minutes to set up a secure e-mail and get notifications out.

And as far as the whole "You should be constantly checking the blog and Twitter for information" bullshit, does anyone do that for every product they own? Ever swipe your card at a store? Do you constantly check that stores blog to see if your information was compromised on their end? Hell no.

I expect identity theft protection paid for by Sony for the next 5 years. The state of Ohio did it for me when a local politician just happened to be carrying around a disk of names and social security numbers belonging to over half the population of this city, and had the disk stolen from his car. I see no reason why Sony can't protect me from their screw up.