Sony Confirms 250 GB PS3 for North America

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Terramax said:
Sorry if this is really ignorant, but is the extra 130GB worth it?
Not really. It's much cheaper to buy a regular system and then buy a laptop HDD and replace it in to the PS3. When my 60GB ran out all I did was pay $80 and now I have a 400GB in my PS3. So really even though it is a slap to the face they could always just upgrade their PS3's on their own without voiding the warranty, or getting their knickers in a twist about the newly released 250GB model.

InventiveHero

Oct 2, 2008
Poopie McGhee said:
InventiveHero said:
Yeah, this is just plain terrible - but with how buggy first run hardware is, I've learned to wait 6 or so months after a release to take on a new system.

Me? Right now I'm waiting on the DSiSP that will have an 8 Megapixel camera, two SD slots, three screens, integrated phone, and play gamecube disks and N64 carts.
That sounds amazing!
Yeah, and Gamestop preorders get a choice of a free Samus or Yoshi wheelbarrow to help carry it around!

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Crash486 said:
*quotesnip*

Perhaps this I can agree with, though I'm beginning to wonder if the execs at sony even planned 2 months into the future to know at the time of the slim's release they'd be releasing a 250g model. Based on their prior business decisions involving the ps3 my gut instinct is to say, no they probably didn't.
While Sony may have made questionable decisions in the past, you can't deny that they've got good business sense. The PS2 is generally heralded as the dominating console for that generation and it's clear that they've got a fair degree of knowledge knocking about between them. Was it a sinister plot, devised simply to milk the consumer's teets for that last, glistening bead of milky money? I doubt it. Did they know ahead of time? I think so. You disagree with me and I doubt either of us will ever find out which of us is right so we'll have to settle on disagreeing on this matter, I think.

Crash486 said:
While it is fun to think of a group of Sony Execs sitting around a large square table in their thrones made of solid gold, petting their white cats
Black cats. They match the gold better. I told you. It's all about colour coordination.

Crash486 said:
while pondering about how next they will screw over their user base in a devious attempt to steal their hard earned money; I think this one can just be written off as an attempt to compete with microsoft's new 250gb version they just pulled out (which by the way wasn't announced at the time of release of their 120gb verison).
Eh, I have a little bit of difficulty agreeing with your assessment for the 360. I know I'm starting to sound like a fanboy here (and I hate that, I do) but the time difference between the 120gig being released and the 250 being announced is far larger than the Slim's case. The original Elite (which has 120 gigs) was released in late August 2007 for Europe. It wasn't until over two years later (September 15th, 2009) that they announced the 250 gig version which is bundled with MW2 and is - to the best of my knowledge anyway - a single promotional item for the game. I'm not sure if the 250gig will get a further, separate release later down the line (and if it isn't announced pre-MW2 release, I'll be decrying them for duplicity as well :p) but as far as I know the Elite 250 is only a special promotional item thus far.

If anyone knows otherwise, feel free to correct me, but I've checked Wikipedia and it seems to be leaning in that direction.

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
Only one thing really comes to mind when I read this.

B-B-B-***** Slap!

Yes, is it a slap to the face for those who have shelled out 300 bucks for a PS3 already.
But, I don't think the 250GB's are worth it anyway.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
Wait, they charge $50 extra for 130gb of extra disk space? A 250gb HD costs $40 here in europe so it must either be very special or they are ripping people off.

Darkwolf9

Aug 19, 2008
Honesty I don't see the problem. Why do you feel a slap in your face? Like everyone has been saying, 250 is way too much space. Doesn't anyone delete anything anymore. All of the stuff you buy on the PSN can be redownloaded for free. The other thing that takes up a ton of space are installs. Once you're done with the game you can delete it and it doesn't effect your save data.

ae86gamer

Mar 10, 2009
Thats cool, but I'm still gonna buy a BC 80g PS3. I found one already, and besides, can't you just replace the hard drive yourself?

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
Do you really need that extra space?
I mean I don't know how much memory the PS3 games take up
But I have a 20gb hard drive on my 360 and I have never got under 2Gb

Also, what a rip off? I can but 1 terabyte hard drive for my laptop for...
*checks Amazon* £60
...Bastards!

Syphonz

Aug 22, 2008
I feel I have a ton of stuff on my 80GB PS3 phat.

2 seasons (30 episodes) of Boondocks
4 seasons of "how i met your mother"
10 full movies
10 PSP commercials (for the lulz)
Linux (mainly used for SNES, NES, SEGA Genesis emulators)
200 songs
then theres all the game stuff..

and when i look at it, I'm still 30 GB short of 80.... So my qustion to Sony:

Even with all this stuff I currently have trouble finding myself even close to 80GB, How in the world is anyone going to justify getting to 250?? WHO NEEDS THAT MUCH SPACE?!

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Crash486 said:
If I had just purchased the 120 and saw this I'm pretty sure my exact thoughts would be "psh... I wouldn't have bought that anyway."

Also, microsoft has put multiple versions of the xbox out with different sized hard drives, for 50$-100$ price differences. 360 elite? What's with this silly attempted pot shot at sony for doing the same thing? Gyaarrr!!! Sony is EVIL for wanting to make money!
My thoughts exactly on both points.

I just got a slim, my response to this new slim "So?"

QuirkyTambourine

Jul 26, 2009
Aww come on Sony, you were doing so well! You finally listened to your potential customer base and not only lowered the price, but also reduced the footprint of your new console!

And now you've gone and thrown it all away with this new model two months after you released the smaller one.

I'm disappointed in you guys

ninjajoeman

Mar 13, 2009
I'm doing the same with the psp go I just laugh at the people that buy it now. lol it's so obviously just a start of the psp 2 (I think at least because they have been doing this kinda crap a lot)

Crash486

Oct 18, 2008
Amnestic said:
*quote butchershop*

While Sony may have made questionable decisions in the past, you can't deny that they've got good business sense. The PS2 is generally heralded as the dominating console for that generation and it's clear that they've got a fair degree of knowledge knocking about between them. Was it a sinister plot, devised simply to milk the consumer's teets for that last, glistening bead of milky money? I doubt it. Did they know ahead of time? I think so. You disagree with me and I doubt either of us will ever find out which of us is right so we'll have to settle on disagreeing on this matter, I think.
Actually, my assessment of their business sense is based on the decisions they've made relatively recently. The ps2 enjoyed as much success as it did for a few reasons. First, it was the first console of that generation, so it had the headstart advantage. It was also alot easier to develop for so it had the backing of many small developers creating a huge library for it. Third, it rode the coattails of its predecessor using the popularity of the Ps1 to its advantage where as microsoft was still very new to the console game (being that the xbox was their first console). Nintendo was a good deal late to the game with the gamecube, and made the silly decision to go with mini-discs. Regardless, its not hard to see why the Ps2 was the clear winner of last generation.

As for recently, sony made some awful decisions with the PS3. I like sony as a whole and being that I own their console I don't want to beat them into the ground, but I'll say the ones you already know, being that they overpriced their console for target consumer because they wanted it to champion their new bluray disc format and they used a processor which wasn't necessarily designed to be used as a gaming platform. While both decisions might pay off in the long run, it's kind of shot their image in the public eye. As for whether or not they knew they were releasing the 250gig when they released the slim, I'm not sure. To me it seems like a late design decision they made for 2 reasons. 1 because they couldn't be outdone by the xbox when they claim their machine is technologically superior, and 2 because its an easy way to increase their profit margin since obviously a 250g hard drive is not worth 50$ more than a 120g.

tldr;
I'm not trying to say their incompetent, but simply saying that the 250g strikes me as an afterthought meant to compete with the new elite. Did they know they were going to be releasing them when they released the 120? Yeah probably, but I'm going to guess at that time the 250s weren't quite off the production line yet so they kept it under wraps to keep sales strong on the 120s (or rather they didn't want people holding out for the 250s to take a chunk out of their 120 sales).

Did people who ordered the 120 get shorted? No. Why? Because for 50$ they can just buy a 500g hard drive and stick it in their ps3. It doesn't take alot of computer know how to do, and then they actually come out on top.

Amnestic said:
Black cats. They match the gold better. I told you. It's all about colour coordination.
What can I say? I'm a traditionalist.

Amnestic said:
Eh, I have a little bit of difficulty agreeing with your assessment for the 360. I know I'm starting to sound like a fanboy here (and I hate that, I do) but the time difference between the 120gig being released and the 250 being announced is far larger than the Slim's case. The original Elite (which has 120 gigs) was released in late August 2007 for Europe. It wasn't until over two years later (September 15th, 2009) that they announced the 250 gig version which is bundled with MW2 and is - to the best of my knowledge anyway - a single promotional item for the game. I'm not sure if the 250gig will get a further, separate release later down the line (and if it isn't announced pre-MW2 release, I'll be decrying them for duplicity as well :p) but as far as I know the Elite 250 is only a special promotional item thus far.

If anyone knows otherwise, feel free to correct me, but I've checked Wikipedia and it seems to be leaning in that direction.
Well there's a number of reasons for the time difference. One, the price of hard drives have dropped drastically since 2007, making the 250 gig a much more viable option. Also, at the time there was no 250g product to compete with, so releasing a 250g model would have been silly and wouldn't have sold well. 2 years later, people have started filling up their hard drives with xbl arcade games, save games, music, and whatnot; so the demand for a larger hard drive is there, also the 250 directly competes with the 120gig of the slim. So for those reasons, xbox had more time to introduce a 250g. (And yes while it is available as a promotional, I'd be surprsied if it doesn't replace their 120g elite.) The ps3 on the other hand is directly competing with the 250g. Sony is trying to corner the market right now so they really need to keep up with the Joneses, ie they can't be one upped by microsoft, especially when their tune from the beginning has been "our system is technologically superior."

Skizle

Feb 12, 2009
I've yet to fill up my 120GB HD on my 360 and i dont think ill be able to fill up a 120GB PS3 when i buy one this November/ December. 250GB just seems a bit excessive.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Mimsofthedawg said:
Do you have a PS3? Put simply, yes, it is. The average PS3 exclusive game requires several gigs of hardrive space to run, and with it's capabilities to not only hold massive amounts of music and downloadable games/contents, the PS3 is moving to a system that is literally an entertainment system, capable of downloading and holding blu ray disc quality movies and videos. All in all, if a person were to fully use the capabilities of a PS3 like they could (aka, like I do), having a 250 GB harddrive is a GOD SEND!
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
Not really. It's much cheaper to buy a regular system and then buy a laptop HDD and replace it in to the PS3. When my 60GB ran out all I did was pay $80 and now I have a 400GB in my PS3. So really even though it is a slap to the face they could always just upgrade their PS3's on their own without voiding the warranty, or getting their knickers in a twist about the newly released 250GB model.
Nah, I wouldn't use it for music. I wouldn't even go on the internet with it. I've got my PC for online stuff. I likes me arcade games like Soul Calibur and Pacific Rift. Presumably all I'd use it for is game saves. I couldn't care less about Blueray either. DVD is good enough for me.

Thanks for clearing that up guys.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Oh Sony, even when you do good you still show complete disdain for your fans.

Also why the hell would you need this much space? Maybe it's because I wouldn't use mine for movies and so forth but I doubt you'd even need all that space even if you used it only on installs.

Again this is mostly a legitimate question because I really don't know what you'd need 250GB of space for.

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Hey everyone. I actually love Sony (and Microsoft, and Nintendo, and everyone else for that matter), and hope my article didn't project some kind of bias against them. However, perhaps my annoyance with all the different system models this generation came out in the article, and it happened to be focused against Sony. I just miss the days when you could buy something and didn't have to worry about something better coming along in two months...not that the 250 GB hard drive matters that much. But, I'd prefer it over the 120 GB, and would be annoyed if I had bought a PS3 slim recently.

TheGhostOfSin

Terrible, Terrible Damage.
May 21, 2008
Tom Goldman said:
Sony Confirms 250 GB PS3 for North America

Is the just-announced 250 GB PS3 slim a slap in the face for early adopters of the 120 GB version?

The 250 GB PS3 slim will launch in North America on November 3
Huh, that's odd, we have had them in stock for a considerable amount of time, even sold a few...

Is this a rare occasion when UK gets something before US?

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
Crash486 said:
Also, microsoft has put multiple versions of the xbox out with different sized hard drives, for 50$-100$ price differences. 360 elite? What's with this silly attempted pot shot at sony for doing the same thing? Gyaarrr!!! Sony is EVIL for wanting to make money!
The point isn't that Sony introduced a bigger, slightly more expensive PS3. In fact, as Tom points out, if they had launched two variants of the Slim simultaneously, one 120 and one 250, that would have been fine. With this, it feels kind of insulting to early adopters of the Slim. "Hey, if you'd waited two months you'd have gotten a BETTER model!"
and there is the point that the only difference between the 120 GB PS3 and the 250 GB PS3 is the size of the hard drive. it's not like the Sony actually takes away useful features like an HDMI port and other such features when changing the model number of their console

as for the earlier adopters being slapped in the face, this is generally a known and accepted fact. this ALWAYS happens to any early adopter of any product, so i'm not sure why stuff like this comes as a surprise to anyone