Sony Could Interrupt Your Games With Ads

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
There is no way a company could be stupid enough to implement this in the way the OP suggests, because it would piss off every single gaming demographic there is. The lifers would rage hard and bombard Sony with complaints and lead boycotts that might actually work for once, and the casuals would either stop gaming and go find something else to do or just see what's new in Farmville.

If this was used in the same way that a lot of apps do, though (i.e. you can download the full game from PSN with ads then pay to have them removed) then I think it would work pretty well, and I actually see that being Sony's idea since the App Store has been a pretty big damn success.

Necron_warrior

OPPORTUNISTIC ANARCHIST
Mar 30, 2011
Can I?

Please?

Yay.

PC GAMING MASTER RACE.

I'm done now.

OT: That...Really is crappy. Hope they seriously rethink the effectiveness of this idea.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Alternatively: I could interrupt a Sony meeting whilst they suck my dick.

Paid for the game and the console, not paying with ads as well.

Evil Smurf said:
Tanis said:
Dear Sony,
Please keep acting like cunts and activity shitty on your user base, it's great!

-Sincerity, Nintendo
Dear Sony,
At Microsoft we may not have the greatest GPUs in our gaming systems compared to you. Now we never will have to.
Sincerely Microsoft
Dear Console Gamers,

You know you want to come play with us.

Sincerely,

PC Gamers xoxo

GeneralFungi

Jul 1, 2010
The7Sins said:
Really? Ads to interrupt games? Thanks for letting me know you were this much of a company of jackasses Sony. And to think I was just about to finally cave and buy a PS3 so I can get some good JRPGs (most via the PSN). Now however I honestly can say I despise you Sony more than ever. Hell I now consider EA as having more honor and integrity than you (did I just say something nice about EA? washes mouth out with soap). You can now join EA, and Capcom as companies I am blacklisting and will never give money to again.
You can at least wait for the console to come out before you bad mouth Sony. There's no evidence to suggest that this patent will amount to anything.

Syzygy23

Sep 20, 2010
AndrewC said:
Wow, I mean, I know Sony are stupid but are they really that thick?

If this goes ahead they can say goodbye to their consu- HEY TRY NEW GENERIC COLA 9999 CENTS- mer base.
Considering your avatar is also an xbox 360 avatar (which I'm assuming is yours) your opinion on anything Sony related is invalidated due to an obvious pre-existing bias. No matter HOW correct you happen to be.

Fayathon

Professional Lurker
Nov 18, 2009
Crono1973 said:
Fayathon said:
Crono1973 said:
Fayathon said:
hermes200 said:
Fayathon said:
EDIT: Now that I think on it some more, if it's hardcoded into the hardware I'm never buying the hardware. Not just that, but I'll help anyone I can jailbreak that shit out of their hardware so they don't have to deal with it, this is a terrible idea, and will pretty well just earn the ire of every gamer out there.
Not really. People around here are not in favor of piracy, but its hard to argue about it when the experience they offer is just better...
I personally am against piracy, and if what I've read into this is correct it's not the games themselves that would have these ads, rather it would be the hardware, which is a whole different level of bullshit in and of itself.

My stance is as such: If the ads are in the games, then buy the games to support the developers and then pirate a not-fucked copy. However if it's in the hardware as I think it is, then I support jailbreaking your devices or not purchasing them at all.
If you buy the games with ads in them, you are just encouraging them to do it more. Why would you do that? Why would you want to support the developers who insert ads into their games?

If I'm going to have a game I don't pirate it, no exceptions. If I find a game that has something that offends me to the point of not wanting to support the developers I go without, plain and simple.
You said:

My stance is as such: If the ads are in the games, then buy the games to support the developers and then pirate a not-fucked copy.

I am confused because your stance has apparently changed between these two posts.
Personal stance versus what I find acceptable for others to do. I really should have clarified.

I personally will not even pirate a game if I do not have any intentions of buying it, but for people that do buy it I support piracy of a non-fucked version.

That makes more sense, right, I'm operating on minimal sleep right now, so shit makes sense in my head, but I'm having trouble translating it to written word.

Edit: Just to prove my point I posted my reply halfway down in the quote boxes without realizing it....

Edit two: and I've had to fix this post twice since posting it already....

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
*Playing Fallout 3*

Me- "Holy shit, super mutants incoming!"
*Super Mutant squad marches forward* S.M.- "RAAAAAAAAAaaaAAHHHH!!"
Me- Fuck, Fuck- *Goes to inventory, takes out Fat-Man Launcher*
Me- "Take this, bitches!!"
*Fires Fat M-

"Hey, it's Vince, from Sham-wow, you'll be saying "WOW" every time you use it."

"MOTHER FUC-"

"It's a pillow. It's a pet. It's a PILLOW PET!"

In other words, I say No. Shame on Sony for being money-grubbing bastards.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
IF and ONLY IF it ends up being "$60 for game without ads, free for game with ads," then it'd be acceptable, because, hey, free game!

Otherwise, I'd tell them where to politely shove their advertisements.

I'm completely fine with in-game ads, though, like in Battlefield and other modern games. There would absolutely be a McDonalds or Burger King right inside Operation Metro's city sections, and to NOT have them breaks realism.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
o.o? what ....

*reads again*

are fucking kidding me?

*sighs*

well, guess I'm really not getting a next gen console. oh well, way things have been last few years, no loss there

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
You best be prepared to make all of my games free from now on, Sony. ... That'd actually be pretty sweet. I do love free stuff, and don't mind inconveniences as much when given things.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
Racecarlock said:
Hey jackasses, one of the main reasons we play games over watching TV is that games don't randomly get interrupted by advertising! This idea is pure bullshit.
This.

I'm fucking sick and tired of every single industry shoving ads down our throats. We are QUITE capable of finding out about your products by going to your websites or watching the commercials in-between shows on TV.

This just made me decide I'm not gonna buy the PS4.

soultrain117

Dec 4, 2010
In 2017 news Americas Obesity rate has dropped to a record low. Health officials say this is due to the now out of business Sony who in 2012 made what analyst are calling the line in the sand GPU which would interrupt movies, games, or even music at random intervals. Experts say the hardware made media so un-engaging that people decided to just *pause commercial*

(This add brought to you buy Sony's craptacular GPU. Feeling thirsty and want to stay in shape but still indulge try our new Coke -30 now with negative 30 calories)
*resumes new report*

deal with their shitty lives and go outside.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
So...let me paint this scenario:

I'm playing (Insert favorite FPS game here) and all of a sudden, an ad pops up. Not only would I yell at the screen in unbearable rage, but what happens to my character? Does he turn into a sitting duck? Does he obtain an invisible ad-related shield?

I don't know what people think. Do they think that just because they're advertizing the new Coca Cola Crazy-Yo with 1000 calories I'm suddenly gonna get the urge to buy it? Nope, not really. it certainly doesn't work every time I'm on Youtube. Whenever I'm there and an ad pops up, either I wait until the "Skip ad" button pops up or I'll just go do something else before the REAL reason why I'm there starts.
Look, I love being able to play online for free and all that chiz. So...I suppose if you must add ads at some point, that's fine. But do it in the loading screens, maybe once you switch games, and so on. Not in the middle of the freakin' gameplay!

This whole next gen. of consoles is shaping out to be a monstrosity. I hope these are all just crackpot theories.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Woodsey said:
Alternatively: I could interrupt a Sony meeting whilst they suck my dick.

Paid for the game and the console, not paying with ads as well.

Evil Smurf said:
Tanis said:
Dear Sony,
Please keep acting like cunts and activity shitty on your user base, it's great!

-Sincerity, Nintendo
Dear Sony,
At Microsoft we may not have the greatest GPUs in our gaming systems compared to you. Now we never will have to.
Sincerely Microsoft
Dear Console Gamers,

You know you want to come play with us.

Sincerely,

PC Gamers xoxo
Dear PC Games:

I truly want to join you but I find it impossible to not be in my living room lying lazily on my couch a couple of feet away from the TV not holding a familiar and comfortable controller in my hands. I'm just wired that way. But I love you platonically.

Sincerely,

A disgruntled console gamer

Yearlongjester

Feb 14, 2010
If I'm seriously in the middle of an action packed moment and Sony decides to interrupt me with a freakin ad, I'm not interested in their products or services.

Worse yet, they could do micro transactions to let us skip the ad. EVIL, charging $.20 to skip or whatever.

Jan 22, 2011
all of this is still unproven talk people, wait and see for e3 this year to actually see what sony is planning. Rumors can fly around all they want until they are actually confirmed I don't really care.

Kyr Knightbane

Jan 3, 2012
I wonder if they would make it pop up like in the virtual hud somewhere out of the way, like a dead space transmission. Not too big to be in the way, but big enough to make you notice. Either that or they could put in virtual billboards with ads that move. That would grab my attention enough to maybe want something. If the ads are well placed, and don't hinder gameplay, i'm all for it. But if they are loud and in the way, then i'll probably just stick to my PC and Vita.