Sony Could Interrupt Your Games With Ads

Orange12345

Aug 11, 2011
Nope not okay for me, if this and the used game block go through I will not be purchasing the console under any circumstances. It's okay in free games because that is one of the ways they make money but for a 60 dollar game I pay for I will not tolerate being advertised to. And if this does somehow infect all gaming I will make it my personal goal to NEVER purchase any product or service advertised

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
Its seems as though the RD department just comes up with idaes to detract consumers; cant play used games (dont care personally, I buy new) and now this shit.

What next, a boxing glove just pops out and puches you in the face when you turn it on?

Tamrin

Nov 12, 2011
I think this is perfectly fine as long as I can spontaneously pop into any of Sony's employee's homes during their personal time to show them this every 10-15 minutes.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
I dare you Sony, try this. In the words of Samuel L. Jackson, I double dare you ************(s). The guaranteed backlash would be hilarious.

Who comes up with this shit anyway? Does this person (or god forbid a group of people) get paid for it? I mean, after seeing the multitudes of shows getting pirated and watched on Netflix and the like and TV going in the dumpster thanks largely to ads, who the hell is stupid enough to pitch this idea and what idiot is even more stupid than that to pay them and patent it?

MarlonBlazed

Jun 9, 2011
neonsword13-ops said:
*Playing Fallout 3*

Me- "Holy shit, super mutants incoming!"
*Super Mutant squad marches forward* S.M.- "RAAAAAAAAAaaaAAHHHH!!"
Me- Fuck, Fuck- *Goes to inventory, takes out Fat-Man Launcher*
Me- "Take this, bitches!!"
*Fires Fat M-

"Hey, it's Vince, from Sham-wow, you'll be saying "WOW" every time you use it."

"MOTHER FUC-"

"It's a pillow. It's a pet. It's a PILLOW PET!"

In other words, I say No. Shame on Sony for being money-grubbing bastards.
Ahahaha reading your post made me think of a far better way for this to go down, what if the commercial actors where actually in the game itself and they just showed up while you where in the middle of a fight to pitch there stuff... Yadda yadda yadda they die in the end.

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
For F2P games, not a problem. But if I pay for the game and it's interrupted for ads, i.e. not simple product placement (which I also hate, but to a lesser extent), GFY.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
RT-Medic-with-shotgun said:
And this is why PC gaming is king. We have always on DRM & we get day one DLC but i don't think anyone is trying to stop PC games in order to force an advertisement.
the PC Master Race keeps whining that games are being dumbed down for consoles or that games are "shitty console ports." What makes you think you're immune here?
Well obviously the kids who put out the image that playing games makes you Violent.

Lets just face it here, PC has moddable file, Steam and Origin, Onlive, modifiable case, modifiable hardrive, modifiable speakers, modifiable graphics-cards, modifiable keyboards and modifiable monitors and mice.

What does console gaming have on its side. Ease of just putting in a game doesn't count anymore because you all now got your own CD-Keys to put in, so, really nothing. Gimmicky add-ons?

While on topic, the more immature are the ones who put it into people's minds like Jack Thompson that Kids playing games = future serial killers waiting to happen by getting angry at games.

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
MarlonBlazed said:
neonsword13-ops said:
Ahahaha reading your post made me think of a far better way for this to go down, what if the commercial actors where actually in the game itself and they just showed up while you where in the middle of a fight to pitch there stuff... Yadda yadda yadda they die in the end.
That would be great. XD

But if Billy Mays showed up, I would try my hardest to recruit him.

I could just see him killing raiders with some type of cleaning product.

[small]I have way too much free time...[/small]

Grygor

Oct 26, 2010
GeneralFungi said:
The7Sins said:
Really? Ads to interrupt games? Thanks for letting me know you were this much of a company of jackasses Sony. And to think I was just about to finally cave and buy a PS3 so I can get some good JRPGs (most via the PSN). Now however I honestly can say I despise you Sony more than ever. Hell I now consider EA as having more honor and integrity than you (did I just say something nice about EA? washes mouth out with soap). You can now join EA, and Capcom as companies I am blacklisting and will never give money to again.
You can at least wait for the console to come out before you bad mouth Sony. There's no evidence to suggest that this patent will amount to anything.
More importantly, this patent was, for all intents and purposes, first filed in 2006. Given the filing date of the original patent, the obvious implication is that this tech was intended for use in the PS3; if Sony actually intended to make use of this technology, they'd have already done so sometime within the last six years.

(Any patents relevant to their upcoming hardware will generally not have been filed yet - console patents are generally filed no earlier than a few months before the console hits the market.)

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Not a chance in hell. Even if they paid me to take the system and each game. I still wouldn't use it. My answer to Sony? Don't call me, I'll call you.

bat32391

Oct 19, 2011
Tamrin said:
I think this is perfectly fine as long as I can spontaneously pop into any of Sony's employee's homes during their personal time to show them this every 10-15 minutes.

I don't think I've laughed so hard at a video in ages. Who the hell made this?

OT: If sony actually decides to do this they can blow it out their asses because I won't touch anything with their label on it ever again.

Unsilenced

Oct 19, 2009
Y they no just use load screens? I mean, I'd be a little mad if it happened on a game I payed good money for, but interrupting gameplay is kind of a dick move.

I know gamers are legendary for putting up with shit, but if they put this in a paid-for game, there's no way this would fly with anyone.

Nov 24, 2010
I've never pirated a game in my life, I support the developers. But if this shit makes it's way into the games that I pay for, then I'll never purchase a game again.

Stripes

May 22, 2012
They could only do this if the price was reduced and it didnt effect gameplay, however considering its designed to interrupt gameplay that doesnt seem like the reality. I never thought they would do this sort of thing, they might get away with it as well.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
I've been fan of Sony consoles for my whole life. My first console was PS1, then I had a PS2, now I have a PS3. I still enjoy them and am grateful to Sony for providing me with greatest gaming expiriences I had.
But if PS4 will utilize this technology, then I'll switch to PC gaming completely.

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
And then you wonder why piracy is so appealing to people.
This is absolutely ridiculous. Something has to eventually click in their heads before they go through with something that fucking stupid.